View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 AJ HAWK ANYONE???? 
Pop Warner Vet

Post AJ HAWK ANYONE????
i am writing this post assuming earl holmes retires, with that being said i am drooling over AJ HAWK, this guy is a monster and a "plug n play" type guy, i think that we can use him immediatley and he certainly would bolster our D, lemme know what u guys think????

December 14th, 2005, 4:16 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

That's a given that he's a playmaker with a great future in the league, but weren't you just routing for Young in a different thread? The Lions can't have both and unless they tank the rest of the season and somebody ahead of them wins a couple both of these guys will be gone by the time the Lions pick.

December 14th, 2005, 4:21 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The question is can Hawk Play Middle becuase we dont need another guy drafted for middle and have em be OLB *cough* Lehman *cough*

even though Lhman is the man

December 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm

I still say that Lewis should be given his shot at the MLB position. He is the best player on this team at the LB positon as far as working through traffic and fighting off blocks. He played both MLB and OLB in college so it's not like it would be a new thing for him. Lewis is also very capable in coverage and can also get after the ball in the backfield. I don't want to hear that he's to small either because he's the same size as Zach Thomas with better speed.

December 14th, 2005, 4:53 pm
That's a given that he's a playmaker with a great future in the league, but weren't you just routing for Young in a different thread? The Lions can't have both and unless they tank the rest of the season and somebody ahead of them wins a couple both of these guys will be gone by the time the Lions pick.

LoL... That's funny Sweet....

What I have to say is this... While Hawks skills may translate into a MLB in the NFL, to the best of my knowledge that is not his natural position in college. The last thing we need is... well the last thing we need is a WR, but the second from last thing we need is a OLB. That said I would rather look at someone like Abdul Hodge or Chad Greenway... They play more the role of a traditional NFL MLB by way of playing the middle in a 3-4 scheme, and Hodge plays the middle when they run a 4-3 I believe.

That said if we have the ability to hold on to Holmes for another season and grab a top notch DE like Kawinika (sp?) or Williams I think that would be our best bet as high as we're picking. Vince Young would also be nice if he comes out. I would really stay away from OT's as I think the top two will be off the board by the time we pick. That's not to say that I don't think we need to take an OL men... and... if we lose Backus and can't replace him in FA, than our first round pick HAS to be an OT IMO. Maybe the 2nd if they really have their heart set on someone that they think is going to fall, but that's one heck of a gamble.

I realize there is some surprise with Kawinika falling out of the top 10.. I too am surprised... but I have a feeling that the combine will either place him back in it, or reinforce the reasons he fell. Personlly, even more so than the bowl games, and even the Rose bowl... I am more interested in the combine... LoL... the joys of being a lion fan... have to prepare for our anual April Super Bowl... Someone needs to tell the team we have the dates mixed up... the most important game of the season isn't played during the offseason... or on Thanksgiving!!!!

December 14th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

That's funny, I mentioned this guy like 2-3 weeks ago and got the same response :lol:

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 14th, 2005, 5:05 pm
That's funny, I mentioned this guy like 2-3 weeks ago and got the same response :lol:

LoL.. at least we're consistent.... more than the team can say :arrow: :idea:

December 14th, 2005, 5:16 pm
RIP Killer

A.J. Hawk will likely be gone by the time the Lions pick, unless they are able to secure a spot in the top five.

I like the idea of Alex Lewis in the middle. To be quite honest, that's something I hadn't considered, but it's intriguing. I will have to look more closely at how well he fights off blocks. He doesn't face too many guards coming at him playing the nickle or dime packages.

I think the Lions should look at another Ohio State backer to play middle. I really like Anthony Schlegel, and I project he can be taken in the third round. He is a former Navy player who was captain of the defense as a sophomore. Talk about leadership skills, he's got them. He reminds me of Chris Spielman or Stephen Boyd. Tough nosed, take no prisoners, leave it all on the field, lead by example type of players. We need more of those.

As for collegiate OLB players having trouble going to the NFL and playing MLB, that isn't always the case. Brian Urlacher actually played a defensive back/OLB tweener in college known as the 'lobo' position. Also, Nick Barnett was an outside backer at Oregon State (and was the player I was hoping the Lions would be able to take in round two that year, but we got Boss instead). So the transformation from OLB in college to MLB in the pros is something that can be done successfully. I think Chad Greenway or Bobby Carpenter are better built to play inside than Hawk, but I think any of the above could play any of the three backer positions.

December 14th, 2005, 7:04 pm
#1 Overall Pick

That said I would rather look at someone like Abdul Hodge or Chad Greenway... They play more the role of a traditional NFL MLB by way of playing the middle in a 3-4 scheme, and Hodge plays the middle when they run a 4-3 I believe.

Quote:
I think Chad Greenway or Bobby Carpenter are better built to play inside than Hawk, but I think any of the above could play any of the three backer positions.

Interesting takes on the projection of these players.

IMO......I think Chad Greenway is best suited to be a SLB. He is about 6'4" tall and really not any heavier than the 6'1" tall Hawk (both around 240-245 pounds). Earlier this year I heard a lot of announcers/"draft experts" saying he will be the top LB picked this year.........and I didn't believe it then, don't believe it now!

Bobby Carpenter is BIG at 6'3", 255 pounds. I think he can play both SLB and MLB.......but not sure about WLB.

IMO.......A.J. Hawk is the BEST LB in this draft. PERIOD.

I think he is a Ray Lewis-type of playmaker. (Yup, I said that)
He ran a 4.45 last year at OSU's pro-day and is ALWAYS around the football......against any competition too! Vince Young, Wisconsin' O-line, U of M's WRs, etc...... nothing kept him from making plays.

Don't get me wrong.....I think the other guys mentioned here are quality football players who will be able to step in and help the right team immediately. BUT, I think Hawk is a once-in-a-decade player at any LB position a team wants him to play.

With that said........I don't know IF I would want the Lions to take Hawk unless all the chips fall right......i.e. the Lions end up with a top 5 pick, trade down, Hawk miraculously falls to about #8-10 in the draft, and then they pick him.

Then again.......this draft is deep at OT. MAYBE we could take Hawk in round 1, get an OLT in round 2, and a OG in round 3 (assuming value is there of course).
However, no 4th round round pick means we would not adequately address QB, FS, TE, or even CB........assuming we don't hit the free agent market BIG.

Anyways.......anticipation starting in December.........like most years....

December 14th, 2005, 7:43 pm
RIP Killer

Carpenter and Greenway both have good enough speed to play the weakside, and both are pretty solid tacklers. Even though both are tall, they could play any of the spots. I think both Carpenter and Greenway are best suited to be SLBs though. I do think Hawk would make a good MLB, but it will depend on what team takes him as to where he will play. If Green Bay were to take Hawk (a distinct possibility), he would play the weakside IMO.

December 14th, 2005, 8:03 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

hawk is great but i dont like us using a 1st rounder for a MLB. i would try first to get one of the bookend tackles or the rare speed rushing DE w size (Mario Williams).

i dont really see Lewis as a MLB. he plays aggressively and can hit but he is not adept at avoiding OLmen. further he is constantly injured, a situation that is not likely to disappear by moving him to a more physical position. he is best suited to being a cover LB whose speed can be utilized occasionally on well called pass/run blitzes. dont get me wrong i like having him but am not ready to pencil him in to any starting role let alone one where he has never played and where he would be grossly undersized

December 19th, 2005, 1:55 am

hawk is great but i dont like us using a 1st rounder for a MLB. i would try first to get one of the bookend tackles or the rare speed rushing DE w size (Mario Williams).

i dont really see Lewis as a MLB. he plays aggressively and can hit but he is not adept at avoiding OLmen. further he is constantly injured, a situation that is not likely to disappear by moving him to a more physical position. he is best suited to being a cover LB whose speed can be utilized occasionally on well called pass/run blitzes. dont get me wrong i like having him but am not ready to pencil him in to any starting role let alone one where he has never played and where he would be grossly undersized

He has played there before in college and if he is grossly undersized then I guess Miami has been wrong for playing Zach Thomas in the middle his entire career. By the way Zach averages about 140 tackles a year and isn't as fast as Lewis. Also Alex is the best LB at shedding blockers and working through traffic of all the LB's on the Lions.

December 19th, 2005, 8:51 am
RIP Killer

Well...with the way Bly was getting OWNED last night and half-rectuming tackles, we need a shut down CB like Jimmy Williams. Goodman sucks. If we had Bly and Williams, along with other guys in like Smith, A Smith, etc, we'd have a solid backfield...as long as Holt is gone.

FS might be the bigger need than CB.

However, I agree with Legend here. We need an OT or DE with that pick...or CB.

December 19th, 2005, 10:36 am
Well...with the way Bly was getting OWNED last night and half-rectuming tackles, we need a shut down CB like Jimmy Williams. Goodman sucks. If we had Bly and Williams, along with other guys in like Smith, A Smith, etc, we'd have a solid backfield...as long as Holt is gone.

Picking a CB high kind of scares me... Look at last years draft, Carlos Rogers, Rolle, Pac Man Jones, ect.... I'm not saying that we would be wrong to draft a CB, just that CB's have a high probability of being busts. Also, that is not to say the aforementioned players are busts, but it seems to take CB's a year or two to adjust to the NFL, and their failure rate seems much more high when compared to OTs and DEs. Quinton Jammer seemed to have just started to come into his own last year, but has seemed to regress this year. Jimmy Williams looks like an awesome CB, but for the reasons earlier mentioned, coupled with the fact that we really need an OT/DE and the likely availability at our draft slot (wherever it ends up being), I would rather wait until the later rounds to draft a CB.

Unfortunately, again it appears that we will be drafting too high to take a FS, but I would love to grab one in the 2nd round unless a good MLB prospect, or highly touted OG falls to the 2nd round. We really need a FS badly, but I would rather look to FA, or perhaps the year after next to grab our future starter. I like the idea of drafting a late first round FS.

December 19th, 2005, 8:43 pm
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:

Picking a CB high kind of scares me... Look at last years draft, Carlos Rogers, Rolle, Pac Man Jones, ect.... I'm not saying that we would be wrong to draft a CB, just that CB's have a high probability of being busts. Also, that is not to say the aforementioned players are busts, but it seems to take CB's a year or two to adjust to the NFL, and their failure rate seems much more high when compared to OTs and DEs. Quinton Jammer seemed to have just started to come into his own last year, but has seemed to regress this year. Jimmy Williams looks like an awesome CB, but for the reasons earlier mentioned, coupled with the fact that we really need an OT/DE and the likely availability at our draft slot (wherever it ends up being), I would rather wait until the later rounds to draft a CB.

Unfortunately, again it appears that we will be drafting too high to take a FS, but I would love to grab one in the 2nd round unless a good MLB prospect, or highly touted OG falls to the 2nd round. We really need a FS badly, but I would rather look to FA, or perhaps the year after next to grab our future starter. I like the idea of drafting a late first round FS.

Let me start by saying this, Jimmy Williams is not worth a top ten pick. That being said, he likely will be a top ten pick because of the position he plays and the high degree of need for filling that position. The Lions wouldn't really need to go after another corner if the pass rush was improved by taking a speed rushing end. Also, the defensive philosophy that Jauron employs is not beneficial to the pass defense. Have you seen how far off the receivers our CBs play? Watch opposing defenses against the Lions. Most of the time their corners are jamming our receivers hard at the LOS to throw off timing patterns, take away slant patterns, and allow the pass rush extra time to close the pocket. Our defense just sort of invites the quarterback and receivers to do what they want, as long as they don't go very deep. Once that 80 yard field becomes a 20 yard field, that defensive philosophy implodes.

I agree that FS is a position of great need on this team. The player I would love to get to play that spot would be Michael Huff. He has good speed, good size and has excellent coverage ability such as the Lions need at the free safety position. We have a run support safety in Kennedy, we need a pass support "umbrella" safety at the free spot. Likewise, we need a solid middle linebacker. We don't need to take one in the first round. I've been pimping Anthony Schlegel for that spot since early this season, and I stand by my choice. He is a player in the mold of Chris Spielman, is a natural leader, and should be available in round two or even round three.

It may be a stretch, but through some nifty trading the Lions could opt to trade down a couple times, get some additional picks to fill the ones they've lost or traded away, and hopefully be able to get an offensive tackle, a free safety and a middle linebacker in this draft. The tackle would be for the future, but the safety and MLB could start immediately.

December 19th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next