View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 AJ HAWK ANYONE???? 
#1 Overall Pick

I wonder if Jimmy Williams will even be the 1st CB taken?

I really think the CB/FS debate will heat up about Williams much like it did about Antrel Rolle........and a more explosive player could catch the eyes of the scouts much like Pacman Jones did last year.

The following is from the GBN draft report.

Quote:
Sticking with great athletes out of the ACC, Clemson CB Tye Hill could give the 2006 corner class a real boost. Indeed, while positions like OT and LB look like they could be gold mines at this year?s draft, the whole secondary could be something of a wasteland. The Tigers? Hill, though, at least brings some special speed to the table. Hill, a former ACC champion in both the 60M (indoors) and 100M (outdoors), for example, can downright fly. Indeed, he likely will challenge the 4.3 mark at this winter?s pre-draft workouts. Hill has been very productive on the field, breaking up a remarkable 21 passes in 2004, before picking off 5 this season. And while not overly big at under 5-10 and 180 pounds, Hill will come up and support against the run. Hill, though, is a converted RB who has only been playing Cb for a couple of years so still needs to work on the techniques of the position; right now he just outruns his mistakes, something he won?t necessarily be able to do at the next level. That speed, especially in a weak year at the position, means he won?t have to wait all that long to get a call this coming April.

I think NFL teams are becoming less concerned with size due to the "NO CONTACT" rule and learning that it is more important to stay NEAR the WR than to be able to out-jump the WR.......IMHO anyway.

Personally.......I'll take a 5'9" Dre Bly over most CBs.

December 20th, 2005, 9:12 am
RIP Killer

The only reason I suggested a CB, preferrably in FA rather than a Jimmy Williams, is because Bryant is likely to get the axe, McQ might not be signed back, and Goodman is terrible. That leaves us with Bly, Smith, and Wilson. We obviously need another starting CB. Does Smith take it? I don't think he's ready, but I really like him. I hope Goodman is only back to play the nickle.

December 20th, 2005, 12:05 pm
RIP Killer

I would actually prefer RW back to be the nickel and return guy. Eddie Drummond is good, but gets hurt too often and I just can't justify having a roster spot dedicated to a player who returns kicks and punts only, and doesn't contribute to the team in any other way. I feel the same way about a long snapper.

Goodman is downright awful and needs to be let go, no use in signing him to a new contract.

I agree that a FA corner would be the best option. I also agree the Fernando needs to be released. He has been hurt, awful, or both in his two years here.

I think if the Lions can get a solid coverage free safety it will be of more help to the secondary than in just getting another corner. How many times was the safety late in getting over to help one of the corners in coverage this year? It was really bad in the Cinci game.

December 20th, 2005, 2:24 pm
RIP Killer

Well...Walker was playing FS and he's horrible. We're looking pretty thin next year.

Walker won't be back (hopefully). I hope McQ is back, just like you M2K. Goodman might not be resigned and Bryant will probably get released.

So our backfield could consist of:
............................Holt/McGraw.................................Kennedy

Bly/Wilson......Lehman/Davis/Lewis.......OPEN/OPEN.......Bailey/Curry......Smith/OPEN

That means we'll need to get a backup SS, starting and backup MLB (I'm not a Rainer fan), a FS possibly, and a CB. I would rather see Wayne or Woods backing up at LB than Davis. Both have been playing very well for their limited time.

I don't even know the terms on McGraw's contract. Is this is contract year, or does he have another year left? Fox could be signed back, but I doubt it. I hope we get to see more of Lewis. I would like to see Davis go and us get a 5th rounder for his tender. Holt will probably be resigned, at least for depth if we get a FS.

December 20th, 2005, 2:39 pm
RIP Killer

Bracy Walker WILL be gone. If he is brought back, I will not watch the Lions, I will not write about the Lions, and I will find a different team to root for. I am deadly serious.

As for Holt, I think he would be best suited to move into a backup role as strong safety. Leave McGraw as the backup free safety and let's find a new starter. Millen made a greivous error in not targeting the free safety position in free agency or the draft like he did the strong safety position. Teams have found good free safeties the past two years in the middle rounds of the draft. I don't know that the upcoming draft will have a particularly deep or talented crop at the free safety spot. The best bet is to get a good sized corner and convert him over to FS ala Eugene Wilson.

December 20th, 2005, 3:43 pm
Varsity Captain

As for Holt, I think he would be best suited to move into a backup role as strong safety. Leave McGraw as the backup free safety and let's find a new starter. Millen made a greivous error in not targeting the free safety position in free agency or the draft like he did the strong safety position. Teams have found good free safeties the past two years in the middle rounds of the draft. I don't know that the upcoming draft will have a particularly deep or talented crop at the free safety spot. The best bet is to get a good sized corner and convert him over to FS ala Eugene Wilson.

I agree completely, we have needed a FS and SS for years, heck since Ron Rice and Shultz had their careers end we have had no really solid safeties. Back in the 2003 draft i really wanted the Lions to pick one of the great FS to come out that year, i said it then and i still beleive it now Troy Polamalu, Rashean Mathis, and Mike Doss are all very good safeties and it would be crazy not take advantage of a draft class like that, especially considering the Lions lack of Safety talent. And again in 2004 i wanted Sean Taylor, and in 2005 i wanted Antrel Rolle or Brodney Poole. And like the rest of us i am disappointed each year.

Now i think Millen has finally after 4 years of ignoring it, found a good SS in Kenoy Kennedy i have to give Millen credit for that, Kennedy has been a great pickup but we still need a good coverage FS.

December 20th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Bracy Walker WILL be gone. If he is brought back, I will not watch the Lions, I will not write about the Lions, and I will find a different team to root for. I am deadly serious.

Bracy Walker is years over due. I have been calling for his head for the last three seasons, along with Brian Walker. Both of them were washed up has beens that were two steps short of being able to cover anyone. I wouldn't mind ignoring the backup SS spot and having Holt back up the SS and FS, and having McQ available to back up the FS spot if needed. Use the versitility of both players to free up one roster spot IMO. I would like to see us do SOMETHING creative along those lines. I agree with Fernado... I liked the signing, but have been disappointed with him ever since he's been here. I wonder if he has any trade value? He should be fairly cheap given us eating his salary cap, but I honestly have no idea what his salary looks like for the final two years of his contract (I believe that's what he has left). Regarding the big CB debate, I'm certain it will heat up around draft time. The combine will add fuel to the fire and move some players around. I too would rather have a slightly shorter, but quicker, faster, and more agile DB than a larger less mobile one. Rumors are Woodson will be a FA after the season, would anyone be interested in him? I would love to sign him as a potential FS or replacement to Bryant. He can't be any worse, but I certainly wouldn't give him the 10 mill a season he's been looking for.

December 20th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

m2karateman wrote:

Bracy Walker is years over due. I have been calling for his head for the last three seasons, along with Brian Walker. Both of them were washed up has beens that were two steps short of being able to cover anyone. I wouldn't mind ignoring the backup SS spot and having Holt back up the SS and FS, and having McQ available to back up the FS spot if needed. Use the versitility of both players to free up one roster spot IMO. I would like to see us do SOMETHING creative along those lines. I agree with Fernado... I liked the signing, but have been disappointed with him ever since he's been here. I wonder if he has any trade value? He should be fairly cheap given us eating his salary cap, but I honestly have no idea what his salary looks like for the final two years of his contract (I believe that's what he has left). Regarding the big CB debate, I'm certain it will heat up around draft time. The combine will add fuel to the fire and move some players around. I too would rather have a slightly shorter, but quicker, faster, and more agile DB than a larger less mobile one. Rumors are Woodson will be a FA after the season, would anyone be interested in him? I would love to sign him as a potential FS or replacement to Bryant. He can't be any worse, but I certainly wouldn't give him the 10 mill a season he's been looking for.

I'll be extremely excited to get Woodson back here in Mich. That being said I don't think that we are in position to take a really good FS like Huff. Plus we have to take care of our Offensive line and the MLB spot first. Hopefully we can get a coach that can bring along the young CB's that we have on this team... Wilson, Smith. I think that Clement will also be available via FA. Either way I don't think drafting a CB high this year is the way to go.

December 25th, 2005, 11:15 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I think that Clement will also be available via FA.

Clements will definitely get the TAG this year. There is no way they can let him go...........and certainly won't let him go for nothing in exchange. He'll be the number #1 CB in FA this year............and FA has been VERY good to CBs in recent years.

December 25th, 2005, 11:56 pm
NFL Veteran

How about Ahmad Brooks in round two? He was touted as the top linebacker before the season started. And I like that his stock has dropped considerably where he might be available in round 2.

December 27th, 2005, 12:40 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

charles woodson as a FS huh? wow. maybe in 6-7 years but definitely not now.

as for our current players, RW McQuarters is just too slow to be a legitimate CB. He is much and I emphasize much worse than Goodman. Goodman has good physical ability, mental lapses have always been his problem and he has largely corrected that problem. Keith Smith has a shot at being a decent player but Stanley Wilson is a nail who enjoys getting hammered. He needs to have really good cover skills bc otherwise he is a useless player. Bly, Goodman, Smith and Wilson will probably be back. I dont really like either of Holt or McGraw but would go with Holt by a nose. Neither is a starter. We need a real FS,

The Alex Lewis debate:

sweetd wrote:
Quote:
He has played there before in college and if he is grossly undersized then I guess Miami has been wrong for playing Zach Thomas in the middle his entire career. By the way Zach averages about 140 tackles a year and isn't as fast as Lewis. Also Alex is the best LB at shedding blockers and working through traffic of all the LB's on the Lions.

This comparison is ridiculous. Thomas didnt just become an NFL mlb by some experiment. The guy won the job in his first camp and has played at an all pro level since. Virtually injury free, he has missed less games in 10 years than Lewis has in 2, and Lewis sustains his injuries as a nickel LB. To think that he could be durable enough to be a Mike is a joke, while he may be faster than thomas in drills, thomas outclasses lewis in his preparation and instinctiveness on the field. alex lewis' comparison is more barret green than zach thomas.

December 27th, 2005, 12:43 am
I'll be extremely excited to get Woodson back here in Mich. That being said I don't think that we are in position to take a really good FS like Huff. Plus we have to take care of our Offensive line and the MLB spot first. Hopefully we can get a coach that can bring along the young CB's that we have on this team... Wilson, Smith. I think that Clement will also be available via FA. Either way I don't think drafting a CB high this year is the way to go.

IMO we need a FS more than we need a MLB. I think it has to come down to player availability when we pick. You can get a good OG in rd 3 or so... that's where Buenning was picked last year. The good FS's seem like they're eatin' up pretty fast in the top of rd. 2, but you can get a decent one as well later in the draft. The later round players tend to be more of a project. IMO we need less of a project FS (one that can start next year) and more of a project MLB (one that can play behind Rainer, or Holmes for a year or two). With Lehman, Bailey, and Lewis holding down the OLB spots (and maybe Lehman and Lewis getting some time on the field together by playing in the middle) I think we can gamble more at MLB than we can at FS.

I really want to see FA come and go so we know what our OL looks like. I would love to bring back Backus on a one year deal or a lower priced 3-5 year deal to free up our first round pick. Mario Williams or Mathias Kiwanuka would be my first round pick if we can re-sign Backus. Our FO will probably be stupid and give the starting DE spot to Edwards and give him a long term deal after a mediocre season in which he put up big #'s. He really didn't do anything all that spectatular other than be put in the right place at the right time. I suppose we could do w/o a DE as our D/L is fairly solid... but I honestly believe that the single biggest upgrade to our D and our team would come by way of a top notch DE... someone that can put some ocnsistent pressure on a Qb with a 4 man rush.

If we can't re-sign Backus I think we almost have to spend our first round pick on an OT... that really sucks... In the third round I would love to grab a C or an LG. Raiola has to go.... he seems by far to be the weakest link. Nick Mangold or Greg Elsinger would be an immediate upgrade IMO.

Michael Huff is starting to get some serious consideration for a top 15 pick. For that reason I would want to stay away from him... however, Jason Allen or Greg Blue are serious contenders for a 2nd round pick IMO. Alex Smith from MSU looks like he might be a later round good pickup if he is a Senior... I don't know much about him but he makes a lot of plays, always seems around the ball, tackels well, reads plays well, plays the ball well, and seems to have good game speed. He caught Breston from behind and that alone is impressive.

Of course.. all of this is assuming our FO doesn't do something totally idiotic like draft a first round Qb. But I will admit... Vince Young looks intriguing.

December 27th, 2005, 1:33 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Murtyle wrote:

IMO we need a FS more than we need a MLB. I think it has to come down to player availability when we pick. You can get a good OG in rd 3 or so... that's where Buenning was picked last year. The good FS's seem like they're eatin' up pretty fast in the top of rd. 2, but you can get a decent one as well later in the draft. The later round players tend to be more of a project. IMO we need less of a project FS (one that can start next year) and more of a project MLB (one that can play behind Rainer, or Holmes for a year or two). With Lehman, Bailey, and Lewis holding down the OLB spots (and maybe Lehman and Lewis getting some time on the field together by playing in the middle) I think we can gamble more at MLB than we can at FS.

I really want to see FA come and go so we know what our OL looks like. I would love to bring back Backus on a one year deal or a lower priced 3-5 year deal to free up our first round pick. Mario Williams or Mathias Kiwanuka would be my first round pick if we can re-sign Backus. Our FO will probably be stupid and give the starting DE spot to Edwards and give him a long term deal after a mediocre season in which he put up big #'s. He really didn't do anything all that spectatular other than be put in the right place at the right time. I suppose we could do w/o a DE as our D/L is fairly solid... but I honestly believe that the single biggest upgrade to our D and our team would come by way of a top notch DE... someone that can put some ocnsistent pressure on a Qb with a 4 man rush.

If we can't re-sign Backus I think we almost have to spend our first round pick on an OT... that really sucks... In the third round I would love to grab a C or an LG. Raiola has to go.... he seems by far to be the weakest link. Nick Mangold or Greg Elsinger would be an immediate upgrade IMO.

Michael Huff is starting to get some serious consideration for a top 15 pick. For that reason I would want to stay away from him... however, Jason Allen or Greg Blue are serious contenders for a 2nd round pick IMO. Alex Smith from MSU looks like he might be a later round good pickup if he is a Senior... I don't know much about him but he makes a lot of plays, always seems around the ball, tackels well, reads plays well, plays the ball well, and seems to have good game speed. He caught Breston from behind and that alone is impressive.

Of course.. all of this is assuming our FO doesn't do something totally idiotic like draft a first round Qb. But I will admit... Vince Young looks intriguing.

We may need a FS to start right away but I look at it as BPA at a spot where we need. This LB and OL class is one of the best in recent memory and I think it would be a mistake to miss out on it. However if Huff is there in the second we should take him.

December 27th, 2005, 4:46 am
Rookie Player of the Year

This comparison is ridiculous. Thomas didnt just become an NFL mlb by some experiment. The guy won the job in his first camp and has played at an all pro level since. Virtually injury free, he has missed less games in 10 years than Lewis has in 2, and Lewis sustains his injuries as a nickel LB. To think that he could be durable enough to be a Mike is a joke, while he may be faster than thomas in drills, thomas outclasses lewis in his preparation and instinctiveness on the field. alex lewis' comparison is more barret green than zach thomas.

Well this response is ridiculous because first off if you actually follow the Lions the players don't earn their spots on this team they are given them with no basis on performance. As far as Lewis being injured he had an ankle injury that was similar to teh one Roy suffered last year and instead of furthering the injury and having it drag out like Roy's did they shelfed him early. He hasn't suffered any injury that shows he can't take the physical play of MLB. Okay if you don't like the Zach comparison I would of like to know why Sam Mills was such a great MLB when he was even smaller than Lewis and Thomas. He didn't earn his spot right away but had to fight his way into the league. Also Lewis is probably the most instictive player on the Lions at the LB position. Especially more so than Lehman or Davis.

December 28th, 2005, 10:58 am
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:

We may need a FS to start right away but I look at it as BPA at a spot where we need. This LB and OL class is one of the best in recent memory and I think it would be a mistake to miss out on it. However if Huff is there in the second we should take him.

There's no way Huff will be available in the 2nd round... He's decidedly the top FS in the draft and has been talked about as high as 9-15. I wouldn't mind passing on him as, like I said, Greg Blue and Jason Allen could possibly be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I agree with the OL talent in this years draft... there are a # of good Centers and more than one or two good OG's, and 4-5 OT's that seemingly can start right away. However, when we pick in the first round I think we will be out of the running for one of the top two OT's, and will be reaching for the 3rd OT. I'm not talking about reaching one or two draft positions, but rather reaching about 10-15 draft positions. A huge mistake IMO. I don't think there is an OG worth a top 15 pick, and I would wait for the 2nd or 3rd rounds regarding the OG position. For that reason I would give serious consideration to drafting a MLB or a FS with our first round pick.

December 29th, 2005, 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next