View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Options at #9 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Options at #9
Unless the Lions do something stupid like draft another WR my early guess is they'll take one of the these guys at #9.

DE: Mario Williams, DE, NC State; Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State; Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia; Eric Winston, OT, Miami; Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

DB: Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech; Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas

LB: A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St.; DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama; Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa

January 2nd, 2006, 8:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Don't forget about Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas.
Or even Rodrique Wright, DT, Texas.

January 2nd, 2006, 8:30 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Options at #9
Leo wrote:
Unless the Lions do something stupid like draft another WR my early guess is they'll take one of the these guys at #9.

Mario Williams, DE, NC State-Value at #9, likely not available
Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State-Not worth the #9 pick
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College-May be available, solid pick
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia-Value at #9, likely not available
Eric Winston, OT, Miami-Not worth the #9 pick
Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn-Weight and health problems concern me
Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech-Not really sold on his value
Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas-Not worth the #9 pick
A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St.-Value at #9, likely not available, not a need
DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama-Not worth the #9 pick
Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa-Only if he can play the middle

Other considerations:
OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin-Junior that, if he declares could easily become the second highest rated offensive tackle in the draft.

Jonathon Scott and Rodrique Wright would be HUGE reaches with the ninth pick. Scott isn't athletic enough to play LT, and Wright has issues with playing hard every down ala Gabe Watson. We have enough unmotivated players on the Lions already. Scott will likely be moved to RT early in his career.

January 2nd, 2006, 8:47 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

if we were to draft a DT it would be Haloti Ngata

January 2nd, 2006, 9:45 pm
RIP Killer

Ngata still needs to declare, if I'm not mistaken. Also, the Lions have no need for a DT, so why whould they take him?

January 2nd, 2006, 10:04 pm
RIP Killer

January 2nd, 2006, 11:15 pm
Stallion wrote:

Ngata still needs to declare, if I'm not mistaken. Also, the Lions have no need for a DT, so why whould they take him?

I agree... drafting another DT would be like drafting another WR. I would seriously consider banning the Lions in disgust at that point. I came close last year after that horrific draft. What does anyone think of Amahd Brooks? I thought I remember hearing some character concerns about him a couple of weeks back, but I can't find anything on a google search. He's a big MLB that, IMO, would fit in nicely with our roster. I'd love to have a 260lb. anchor in the middle of our small/quick LB corps. Some draft ratings have Brooks as the best MLB prospect available. I honestly don't know much about him, but his measurables sound nice.

Position: Inside Linebacker
School: Virginia

Height: 6-4

Weight: 260

40-Yard Dash: 4.55 (est.)

Positives:
Ahmad Brooks is a big, multi-tooled 'backer with plenty of power coming from the middle linebacker position, plus his combination of size and speed means that he will be able to operate in virtually any defensive system in the NFL. Brooks is also one of the finest tacklers in college football, showing good wrap-up on virtually all of his tackles.

Negatives:
There isn't a whole lot missing with Brooks. He will sometimes show a lack of patience when facing a screen or other slowed-down play, but between the faster pace of the NFL and added experience, that problem should correct itself.

Overview:
Ahmad was a consensus pre-season All-American across all the groups that make those squads. He broke Virginia's freshman tackles record with 117 in 2003, and was a finalist for the coveted Butkus award after his sophomore campaign.

Schlegal seems like a good MLB 2nd round pick up, but if we can fill that position in the first without reaching, and Kawinika, Williams, and Ferguson are all gone I'd consider filling the MLB need with our first round pick. Rather than reach for an OT, OG, DE or FS in the first, I would love to stay open to drafting a MLB at 9. The combine is going to have a HUGE effect on player "value"... I can see Huff climbing up the charts and being worth a top ten pick with an impressive strength, quickness, and agility workout. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but he plays fast and seems very agile for his size.

January 3rd, 2006, 12:14 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Leo wrote:

DE: Mario Williams, DE, NC State; Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State; Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College

OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia; Eric Winston, OT, Miami; Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

LB: A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio St.; DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama; Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa

If a team before the Lions pick chooses Jimmy Williams we should definitely not draft a CB/S first round!! Same with the DE's. Everything will depend on the teams that draft before us, and I definitely think it's a good idea for the Lions to trade down their pick and pick up extra draft picks because the Lions need to address various positions!!

January 3rd, 2006, 2:28 am
Profile YIM
QB Coach

Leo wrote:

Neither are going near #9 at OT.

I want to see Winston Justice's performance against Texas. He declared a few hours ago. I'm big on him, and think he can be as good as Ferguson if he gets his head on straight. Don't think we are in Ferguson position. All the people who actually know a thing about the NFL draft are touting him as a top 10 pick.

January 3rd, 2006, 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I didnt mean we should take him Hgata but someone said something about Wright and Ngata is way better he is basically the nest Shuan Rogers

January 3rd, 2006, 8:23 am
#1 Overall Pick

I didnt mean we should take him Hgata but someone said something about Wright and Ngata is way better he is basically the nest Shuan Rogers

I don't buy that.

I watched Ngata play against Oklahoma.......and he did little to impress me. He didn't show the disruptive penetration that Rogers gets, and he didn't pursue the ball all that well.

I can see Ngata being taken in the 1st round because he could be a beast at the point of attack with his size. But I'd leken the comparison to a Ted Washington-type of two-gap run stuffer. Whatever the reason for his lack of impact against Oklahoma........I'm not buying the hype on him yet.

January 3rd, 2006, 9:12 am
RIP Killer

Quote:

I don't buy that.

I watched Ngata play against Oklahoma.......and he did little to impress me. He didn't show the disruptive penetration that Rogers gets, and he didn't pursue the ball all that well.

I can see Ngata being taken in the 1st round because he could be a beast at the point of attack with his size. But I'd leken the comparison to a Ted Washington-type of two-gap run stuffer. Whatever the reason for his lack of impact against Oklahoma........I'm not buying the hype on him yet.

My understanding is that Ngata has been battling some ankle injuries this year. Sound familiar? Just like Big Baby? I doubt Ngata will fall into round two like Rogers, but Haloti is one of the quicker inside defensive linemen that would be available in this draft. I'd be shocked if he weren't the first DT taken this draft.

On a down note, offensive tackle Joe Thomas as suffered a serious knee injury in his bowl game. It could mean he won't declare as I was hoping. He was my pick for the Lions if M. Williams, D. Ferguson and M. Kiwanuka were off the board at #9.

Note to Matt Millen: Start looking at trade down scenarios immediately.

January 3rd, 2006, 10:46 am
#1 Overall Pick

On a down note, offensive tackle Joe Thomas as suffered a serious knee injury in his bowl game. It could mean he won't declare as I was hoping

That definitely sucks!

Although.......IF Millen is going to re-sign Backus........I have to believe he wouldn't draft an OT in round 1.

I just hope he is trying to trade down in APRIL!

January 3rd, 2006, 7:26 pm
Quote:
On a down note, offensive tackle Joe Thomas as suffered a serious knee injury in his bowl game. It could mean he won't declare as I was hoping

That definitely sucks!

Although.......IF Millen is going to re-sign Backus........I have to believe he wouldn't draft an OT in round 1.

I just hope he is trying to trade down in APRIL!

IMO the only way we get Backus back is if the FA situation pans out for him as it did for Stockar McDougal.... no real offers, and we're the highest bidder. Jeff doesn't want to be here, and for good reason. Many of the fans don't want him here butfor the safety net at LT.

January 3rd, 2006, 7:42 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I saw Joe Thomas get injured during the Capital One Bowl while he was playing defensive tackle. I haven't heard how serious the knee injury is yet, but I think it seriously diminishes the chances that he'll declare for the draft this year. I think he would have been the 2nd best OT available if he declared. That sucks for the Lions because I also would have given him serious consideration for the 9th pick. This will probably leave McNeill as the 2nd best OT prospect, but he's sort of a reach at #9.

January 3rd, 2006, 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next