View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Options at #9 
RIP Killer

I think everyone really just needs to focus on hiring a coach, first and foremost, before we begin discussing FA and drafts. I know I've gotten all caught up in the hype, but I think everything will be answered as soon as our coach is hired. As soon as our coach is hired we'll know whether he intends to start Joey Harrington or if we'll have to draft another QB to replace him.

adpreston1385 wrote:
Who does everyone propose to start at QB next season if Joey Harrington is traded or realeased??? There really aren't any decent FA QB's, so will the Lions go with drafting Jay Cutler?

You totally contradicted yourself.

January 10th, 2006, 6:48 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

adpreston1385 wrote:
I think everyone really just needs to focus on hiring a coach, first and foremost, before we begin discussing FA and drafts. I know I've gotten all caught up in the hype, but I think everything will be answered as soon as our coach is hired. As soon as our coach is hired we'll know whether he intends to start Joey Harrington or if we'll have to draft another QB to replace him.

adpreston1385 wrote:
Who does everyone propose to start at QB next season if Joey Harrington is traded or realeased??? There really aren't any decent FA QB's, so will the Lions go with drafting Jay Cutler?

You totally contradicted yourself.

I know. My last statement about QB's was just a question I couldn't resist. I just want some feedback, but we shouldn't focus on it right now. However, if by some chance the head coach does not want to stick with Joey Harrington the Detroit Lions' season could be over. Who the hell is out there in FA that's better than Harrington?? Who'll be willing to trade for Harrington?? Who could we draft?? I know this sounds like a panic on my part, but it isn't. I'm just trying to convey the QB situation the Lions will be in if Joey Harrington doesn't return.

January 10th, 2006, 7:15 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Who the hell is out there in FA that's better than Harrington??

Not necessarily FAs, but : Brees (injured). Rivers (gamble). Ramsey (slightly better). Griese (slighty better).

adpreston1385 wrote:
Who'll be willing to trade for Harrington??

Nobody with common sense.

adpreston1385 wrote:
Who could we draft??

Lions won't draft a QB IMO. If they get Casey Printers - it'll be Joey, Printers, Danny O. If they get a FA, they won't draft one either.

January 10th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Michael Huff is the sure pick in my mind. Unless of course, Matt Leinart, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, A.J Hawk, Vince Young, Mario Williams, or Reggie Bush are available... Either Mike Huff or Jon Scott is the pick, mark my words!

Michael Huff for DROY

January 10th, 2006, 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I like the Michael Huff selection, but would prefer to trade down above all else. Jonathan Scott is a late first to early second rounder. He is NOT as good as what some people feel. There are at least four tackles better than him; Ferguson, Justice, Winston and Colledge. If McNeil can shed some weight he will rank ahead of Scott as well.

If by some miracle Huff is gone and we are 'stuck' with the ninth selection, I think we go with Kiwi (if he's there) or Winston Justice.

January 10th, 2006, 10:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Everyone would love to trade down and get Huff but the Rams may select a DB and that could make trading down not the best idea. Also, if it is huff, Williams, or who ever they will be the top rated Db so that will make them a higher pick.

January 11th, 2006, 6:13 pm
Everyone would love to trade down and get Huff but the Rams may select a DB and that could make trading down not the best idea. Also, if it is huff, Williams, or who ever they will be the top rated Db so that will make them a higher pick.

Huff seems to be climbing the draft boards as I mentioned I thought he would weeks ago... I agree now as I did then that he is an awesome DB and would make for a great Detroit Lion. That said, as long as Kiwi, and Huff are on the board I wouldn't mind trading down to a position that makes it still plausible to take one of them. I really believe we can get a FS in the 2nd or 3rd round if we need to, and I also believe that Kiwi will be a great DE in the NFL.

Also, I think we either have to stay top 15 to grab a player like Huff (I'm off the Jimmy Williams band wagon... I still do think he is talanted, but I would honestly prefer Huff for character reasons), Mario Williams, Kiwi, Ferguson (I know it is a stretch but a possibility... many thought Barron was going to be picked top 10... an OT wasn't taken until 13 last year with J. Brown), or Hawk, or just totally give up on that plan and draft down to the bottom of Rd 1 and address a bunch of needs in day one.

With our current picks and the extra pick generated by trading down take any combination of DE, C, OG, OT, FS, and MLB in no particular order in a BPA approach relative to those positions. I'm not saying it would be wise to start three rookies on the OL, but I would LOVE to grab one of Mangold/Elsinger (two potential pro-bowl centers), and one of Lentz/Joseph/Setterstorm on the first day. If it happened to work out that a value OT fell to us, I would definitely not be opposed to adding an additional rookie OLmen. I am a firm believer that you have to get near immediate production from your day 1 picks, but I think they could all contribute immediately to some degree and perhaps could be starting by the season's end (be it by injury or good performance... or bad performance by our vets, however you want to look at it).

January 11th, 2006, 11:45 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i would like to see the lions take Daryn Coledge, LT Boise state, in the second round. Boise played against BC in some bowl game and He pretty much shut down Kiwi one of the best pass rushers there is. i would like to see him at LT and maybe move Backus to LG...any thoughts

January 15th, 2006, 2:25 pm
RIP Killer

i would like to see the lions take Daryn Coledge, LT Boise state, in the second round. Boise played against BC in some bowl game and He pretty much shut down Kiwi one of the best pass rushers there is. i would like to see him at LT and maybe move Backus to LG...any thoughts

Funny you should mention this. I was looking at a mock draft in another forum. It was a three rounder and it had the Lions taking QB Brodie Croyle in round three, with the next team picking Daryn Colledge. No way would the Lions bypass Colledge to take Croyle (they better not). Even if they re-sign Backus, I would like to see the Lions add better depth on the line. Should they do it in round two? If Backus signs, no. In round three? Absolutley yes.

January 15th, 2006, 4:31 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see how College will last until round 3...I'd say he would be worth our 2nd, but he'll be gone by our 3rd.

January 15th, 2006, 4:34 pm
RIP Killer

I don't see how College will last until round 3...I'd say he would be worth our 2nd, but he'll be gone by our 3rd.

I agree, I don't see him being there in round three. That's why they call it a mock.

January 15th, 2006, 4:36 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

conversion02 wrote:
Lions won't draft a QB IMO. If they get Casey Printers - it'll be Joey, Printers, Danny O. If they get a FA, they won't draft one either.

Printers just signed a 3-year deal to back up trent green in KC. He's good though

January 16th, 2006, 4:24 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah, I saw that the day after it happened. I guess it's a good thing, because the only guy I really want here to "push" Joey is a guy like Brees, who can actually push Joey. Jeffy G was never going to push Joey. While I think Rivers would be the best person to bring here, mainly for his extremely quick release and ability to beat the blitz, they won't take a chance on an "unknown" to push Joey. It sucks because there's really not much the Lions can do to get a backup, unless they trade.

January 16th, 2006, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

findmycourage - welcome to LB!!

Yeah, I saw that the day after it happened. I guess it's a good thing, because the only guy I really want here to "push" Joey is a guy like Brees, who can actually push Joey. Jeffy G was never going to push Joey. While I think Rivers would be the best person to bring here, mainly for his extremely quick release and ability to beat the blitz, they won't take a chance on an "unknown" to push Joey. It sucks because there's really not much the Lions can do to get a backup, unless they trade.

I actually think Joey responded well to the presence of Jeff Garcia. He was having a pretty solid pre-season (except the St. Louis game, which was poor defense more than anything). But once Garcia broke his leg, that's when Joey started to have a downslide. Once Garcia came back, it was like a switch was flipped and Joey became a better quarterback. I wouldn't keep Garcia just for that, but there may be some other free agent vets that shake loose during the free agency period or after the draft. Aaron Brooks comes to mind. Trent Dilfer is another possibility.

January 16th, 2006, 6:33 pm
RIP Killer

You're right M2K - but I don't think Dilfer is going anywhere. I think Frye may start the season next year, but I think he'll be on a relatively short leash. I can't imagine Cleveland eating 2 years of Dilfer's contract. He would be the backup IMO.

January 16th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next