View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 8:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How about a couple Buckeyes.. 
Pro Bowl Player

Post How about a couple Buckeyes..
First nice win by the Buckeyes over Michigan.. and then the Irish tonight!!! :D

I wouldnt mind seeing the Lions snag LB Hawk.. and then later pick up QB Smith.

Could we get Hawk at #9?

January 2nd, 2006, 10:10 pm
RIP Killer

In all likelihood he won't be available at that pick. Oakland and San Francisco may take long hard looks at Hawk. I don't see him falling that far. Also, I don't know why we would take Hawk. Can he move inside? That's something the Lions would have to determine. There will be other players to choose from that could have more positive impact on the Lions roster than another fast OLB.

Personally the Buckeye I am interested would be Anthony Schlegel. He may fall to round three, but the Lions could snag him in round two.

January 2nd, 2006, 10:35 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What about Bobby Carpenter? Doesn't he play MLB?

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 3rd, 2006, 12:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Carpenter was an OLB but has the size and the leadership ability to play the MLB position. Even with his broken ankle I think he's off the board before Detroit's 2nd round pick.

January 3rd, 2006, 12:19 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

capenter has the size for MLB. He is 6'4 and 245 if I am correct

January 4th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Post Re: How about a couple Buckeyes..
OldSchool wrote:

Could we get Hawk at #9?

Troy Smith and Michael Robinson are my two sleeper Qbs for the draft. But, as much as I like both of them, and despite the possibility of at least one of them falling to the 4th round, I think we have enough youth at the Qb spot and should look to FA to fill our "Garcia void."

January 4th, 2006, 8:52 pm
RIP Killer

It takes more than size to play MLB gents. Can he shed blocks? Does he read plays well? Does he fill gaps quickly? Does he move through traffic well and read blocks? Does he have good natural instincts to get to the football? Ray Lewis and Jonathon Vilma are small guys, but are effective middle linebackers because they keep blockers away from their body and move well through traffic. They are also very reactive to keys by the guards and backs. It's tough to tell if Carpenter is going to be able to move inside until you put him there and see what he does. But I would prefer to see the Lions go with a known talent in Schlegel.

January 4th, 2006, 9:16 pm
It takes more than size to play MLB gents. Can he shed blocks? Does he read plays well? Does he fill gaps quickly? Does he move through traffic well and read blocks? Does he have good natural instincts to get to the football? Ray Lewis and Jonathon Vilma are small guys, but are effective middle linebackers because they keep blockers away from their body and move well through traffic. They are also very reactive to keys by the guards and backs. It's tough to tell if Carpenter is going to be able to move inside until you put him there and see what he does. But I would prefer to see the Lions go with a known talent in Schlegel.

M2, have you commented on Amhad Brooks yet? He's got the size, and IMO the technique to play MLB. I could be wrong, but I think after the combine he'll move up the draft charts some... If you had to take a MLB with #9 would you consider Brooks?

January 5th, 2006, 1:25 am
QB Coach

Post Re: How about a couple Buckeyes..
wjb21ndtown wrote:
OldSchool wrote:

Could we get Hawk at #9?

Troy Smith and Michael Robinson are my two sleeper Qbs for the draft. But, as much as I like both of them, and despite the possibility of at least one of them falling to the 4th round, I think we have enough youth at the Qb spot and should look to FA to fill our "Garcia void."

Smith is still at OSU. He's got another year and hasn't made any plans to come out.

Robinson will be a receiver/returner at the next level. Just can't throw the ball.

January 5th, 2006, 3:26 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:

M2, have you commented on Amhad Brooks yet? He's got the size, and IMO the technique to play MLB. I could be wrong, but I think after the combine he'll move up the draft charts some... If you had to take a MLB with #9 would you consider Brooks?

Brooks is probably the top pure MLB prospect in this draft. I believe he still has another year of college eligibility, so he may stay at Virginia based on his having had a relatively poor season due to injuries. And that is why I wouldn't take him at #9. While Ahmad has all the talent to be a very good MLB in the pros, he has shown a tendency to get hurt. He also isn't a very good pass coverage guy, and with a pick that high you should get the complete package. I project Brooks as a mid to late first rounder based on talent alone. His injury problems could drop him into early second to mid second round based on his physicals.

After Brooks, Abdul Hodge is the next best prospect. He is a late first rounder.

January 5th, 2006, 7:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]