View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 3:19 pm



Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 FA QB's do not look promising 

Should the Lions draft Jay Cutler if they pick up an extra draft pick?
Poll ended at April 13th, 2006, 6:37 pm
Yes 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12

 FA QB's do not look promising 
Author Message
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post FA QB's do not look promising
I was just browsing through the free agent quarterbacks and not one of them caught my eye as a potential starter here in Detroit. So unless some miraculous trade happens the Lions will probably be stuck with Joey Harrington.

This is why I'm proposing the Lions trade down their draft pick and then can draft whatever position they needed at #9 at # 20.... and draft QB Jay Cutler (who is supposed to be the 3rd best QB in the draft) late in the 1st round or early in the 2nd round (with the extra draft pick from the trade down)


Any sellers on this? I really don't see any QB's to go after in free agency, so I'm afraid all the talk about getting a veteran QB is bogus, because there isn't a solid one out there right now!!


January 3rd, 2006, 6:37 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: FA QB's do not look promising
adpreston1385 wrote:
I was just browsing through the free agent quarterbacks and not one of them caught my eye as a potential starter here in Detroit. So unless some miraculous trade happens the Lions will probably be stuck with Joey Harrington.

This is why I'm proposing the Lions trade down their draft pick and then can draft whatever position they needed at #9 at # 20.... and draft QB Jay Cutler (who is supposed to be the 3rd best QB in the draft) late in the 1st round or early in the 2nd round (with the extra draft pick from the trade down)


Any sellers on this? I really don't see any QB's to go after in free agency, so I'm afraid all the talk about getting a veteran QB is bogus, because there isn't a solid one out there right now!!


I voted no.... My FA of choice at this point would be John Kitna. IMO it would be a ridiculously dumb move to draft another Qb unless you go after someone like Vince Young/Matt Leinhart to be the starter. Having Joey (26ish), Orlovsky (24ish), and a rookie IMO isn't very smart. I just think we need experience and leadership at the Qb position. Kitna is young, but he's been through a lot. He went from having his best season to being benched, and IMO he handled it well. If nothing else I don't think he would be a disruption. And, I think he does have the potential to have a break out year and take the starting job. I think we should keep Harrington for next season, sign Kitna to a three year deal, and let Garcia hit the road (unless Olson somehow gets promoted within the organization or elsewhere... I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff get a Qb coach job with us, but he doesn't seem like he really believes he doesn't have it anymore).


January 3rd, 2006, 7:33 pm
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7120
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
I want John Kitna also. If it weren't for Carson Palmer, Kitna would still be the Bengals starter.


January 3rd, 2006, 8:59 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
Jay Cutler has alot of good QB abilities, in fact one of the more physically gifted of the QBs coming out, if we are talking a additional early 2nd or late 1st rounder i would be ok with him being drafted.

Jon Kitna would be the ideal pickup if Harrington is gone, but a trade for David Garrard would also be a good move for a starting QB.

But dear lord i hope the Lions dont draft Leinart if they do i might lose it, the guy is not that good he is also a carbon copy of Joey Harrington... Let New Orleans have him...


January 3rd, 2006, 10:42 pm
Profile
Post 
HunterMSU wrote:
Jay Cutler has alot of good QB abilities, in fact one of the more physically gifted of the QBs coming out, if we are talking a additional early 2nd or late 1st rounder i would be ok with him being drafted.

Jon Kitna would be the ideal pickup if Harrington is gone, but a trade for David Garrard would also be a good move for a starting QB.

But dear lord i hope the Lions dont draft Leinart if they do i might lose it, the guy is not that good he is also a carbon copy of Joey Harrington... Let New Orleans have him...


Hunter... what bothers me about Cutler is he would make the Orlovsky pick TOTALLY USELESS, and we moved up to take him... alkfjal;kdfjdaslkfj............ I effin' HATE last years draft.


January 3rd, 2006, 10:45 pm
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
True but you cant pin your future hopes on a 4th round QB, besides why cant you can develope two young QBs at the same time.


January 3rd, 2006, 10:50 pm
Profile
Post 
HunterMSU wrote:
True but you cant pin your future hopes on a 4th round QB, besides why cant you can develope two young QBs at the same time.


Because of the Mike McMahon/Joey Harrington situation... Personally I think it's ok to have two young Qb's on a roster as long as one is a clear cut starter... Two young projects, especially without the benefit of a seasoned vet, IMO is a disaster.


January 3rd, 2006, 10:55 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
HunterMSU wrote:
True but you cant pin your future hopes on a 4th round QB, besides why cant you can develope two young QBs at the same time.


Because of the Mike McMahon/Joey Harrington situation... Personally I think it's ok to have two young Qb's on a roster as long as one is a clear cut starter... Two young projects, especially without the benefit of a seasoned vet, IMO is a disaster.


Orlovsky will never be better than a good backup QB, but Cutler could eventually become a starter in this league!!


January 4th, 2006, 1:45 am
Profile YIM
Post 
adpreston1385 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
HunterMSU wrote:
True but you cant pin your future hopes on a 4th round QB, besides why cant you can develope two young QBs at the same time.


Because of the Mike McMahon/Joey Harrington situation... Personally I think it's ok to have two young Qb's on a roster as long as one is a clear cut starter... Two young projects, especially without the benefit of a seasoned vet, IMO is a disaster.


Orlovsky will never be better than a good backup QB, but Cutler could eventually become a starter in this league!!


I see your point Preston, and I realize you should never fail to pick up a future starter due to having a possible career backup already on your roster. However, three things, 1) we already spent two picks moving up to take Dan (one to move up, and one to take him), and 2) there's no sure signs that say he'll never be anything more than a backup, and lastly 3) having two inexperienced guys on your roster and trying to develope possibly three Qbs (Harringon included) and leaving no leadership/experience at the Qb position IMO is disaster. Even having three guys to develope wouldn't be smart regardless of leadership... how much time can you devote to three guys at the same time? Jenna Jamison might be capable but I don't think Olson is that kinda guy....

To fix the third problem I mention we would either have to pick up a vet FA (pick up Kitna and let Harrington go... and... as much as I like the idea of getting Kitna I'm not ready to sign him and simply give him the reigns with no competition), cut Dan O and sign a Vet qb and lose everything we've already invested in him, or roll the dice and see if keeping three young guys on a roster is as bad as I think it would be... Judging by the WR position I think history provides at least some insight to me being right, at least in regards to having three young Qbs.


January 4th, 2006, 3:42 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
HunterMSU wrote:
True but you cant pin your future hopes on a 4th round QB, besides why cant you can develope two young QBs at the same time.


Because of the Mike McMahon/Joey Harrington situation... Personally I think it's ok to have two young Qb's on a roster as long as one is a clear cut starter... Two young projects, especially without the benefit of a seasoned vet, IMO is a disaster.


Orlovsky will never be better than a good backup QB, but Cutler could eventually become a starter in this league!!


I see your point Preston, and I realize you should never fail to pick up a future starter due to having a possible career backup already on your roster. However, three things, 1) we already spent two picks moving up to take Dan (one to move up, and one to take him), and 2) there's no sure signs that say he'll never be anything more than a backup, and lastly 3) having two inexperienced guys on your roster and trying to develope possibly three Qbs (Harringon included) and leaving no leadership/experience at the Qb position IMO is disaster. Even having three guys to develope wouldn't be smart regardless of leadership... how much time can you devote to three guys at the same time? Jenna Jamison might be capable but I don't think Olson is that kinda guy....

To fix the third problem I mention we would either have to pick up a vet FA (pick up Kitna and let Harrington go... and... as much as I like the idea of getting Kitna I'm not ready to sign him and simply give him the reigns with no competition), cut Dan O and sign a Vet qb and lose everything we've already invested in him, or roll the dice and see if keeping three young guys on a roster is as bad as I think it would be... Judging by the WR position I think history provides at least some insight to me being right, at least in regards to having three young Qbs.


I see your point too wjb21ndtown, but I think you misunderstood my point. Basically I'm assuming that Joey Harrington won't be back next season, which leaves us with Dan Orlovsky as the only QB coming back to Detroit for sure. Since he'll only be a backup at best in the NFL I suggest the Lions pickup a QB in FA. But from looking at the FA candidates the list is very thin and I don't have much faith in any of them. This is why I think the Lions have to draft a QB by trading down and picking up an additional pick. If the FA market had any QB's to be taken I wouldn't even consider drafting a QB, but there is no one in FA I see taking over the reigns here in Detroit and therefore we have to draft a Jay Cutler or Omar Jacobs in the 1st/2nd round. Hopefully we can also pickup Kitna in FA and then Culter and Kitna can battle for the starting QB position.

Basically if we can't find a starting QB in FA we'll have to get one via the Draft, and I think the Lions have to go the latter way to obtain a QB. If you see any hidden gems out there in the QB market let me know, but I really don't see any. Maybe the Lions can trade Joey Harrington and Charles Rogers in a package and pick someone up like a Garrard or Schaub, but I highly doubt it.


January 4th, 2006, 5:31 pm
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.