View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Trade Down possibilities? 
#1 Overall Pick

I think a team that they could make that move with could be the Falcons that are only a couple of players from taking that next step. I think the Lions could get the Falcons 2nd rounder and 4th rounder this year as well as next years 1st in exchange for the #9 pick this year. This would put Atlanta in a position to land two top tier defensive players. The Falcons could be in position for any combination of players that can take a good team and lift them to the true contender ranking.

I love this thought............but unfortunately I don't think Atlanta will need to trade up to get the positions they need. They have the #15 pick right now.......and they will likely have a good choice of players at DE, DT, FS, CB, and WR. They are even a little thin at LB.........so that is a possibility as well.

The only way I can see them trading up is IF they like Kiwanuka much more than Hali............and they REALLY want him badly. But I can't see them giving up a ton because they do have other positions to be addressed as well.

January 22nd, 2006, 2:39 pm
RIP Killer

I think a team that they could make that move with could be the Falcons that are only a couple of players from taking that next step. I think the Lions could get the Falcons 2nd rounder and 4th rounder this year as well as next years 1st in exchange for the #9 pick this year. This would put Atlanta in a position to land two top tier defensive players. The Falcons could be in position for any combination of players that can take a good team and lift them to the true contender ranking.

The best the Lions could hope for from the Falcons would be a second rounder this year in exchange, and even then the Falcons would be paying too much. The best bet would be getting the Falcons third rounder this year and third rounder next year. I think that Atlanta would do that for one of three players. They may be willing to do it for Kiwanuka. Also, if Warrick Dunn becomes a cap casualty and the Falcons don't land a FA running back, they may want Lendale White or more likely they would target DeAngelo Williams. Since Arizona may be in the market for a running back, the Falcons may be willing to part with those two picks to ensure they remain a strong rushing team.

Atlanta also has other needs though. They need better o-tackles, improvement along the d-line and safeties. I just think they have too many needs to trade away a third round pick to move up, but you never know. It all depends on who they can land in FA.

January 22nd, 2006, 3:18 pm
m2karateman wrote:
The key is Arizona. Since they have a variety of needs, Detroit should be in good shape to move down. Teams will be looking to move ahead of the Cards if they feel an elite prospect is available. Of course, I was certain the Lions would trade down last year. I've heard the Cards are looking hard at either Williams or Kiwanuka. Brian would know more than I, since he is a Cards fan.

No way Arizona needs an end. Not with Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor on board. Okeafor was a great signing and Berry is a Pro Bowl player who was maintaining that status until an injury.

But they aren't using a top 10 pick on an end when they have two of the NFL's top 10 DEs, and are paying big bucks for them.

Rushing offense is the KEY. That's what they need the most, offensive line help and a running back. Everything else was great this year, but you can't go anywhere without a rushing attack. They were dead last in rushing. 8th in total offense, 8th in total defense. 1st in passing offense. 10th in rushing defense. 12th in passing defense.

OL, RB, QB, DT are where they are going.

But then again, Denny takes the best talent, and if Williams uncharacteristically were to fall to #10, they may take him. But the same can be said for any top talent.

Brian... Their DE's are pretty good, but their DT's suck IMO. If I'm not mistakin', didn't their FS lead their team in sacks??? Do you think they would take Nagata if he's available? I see that as a good pick for AZ... Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't think White is worth a top 10 pick.... Maybe DeAnglo Williams, but he's risky IMO. I think Az will pick OL or DT.,, maybe Cutler if they love him and, god forbid, we don't take him.

January 22nd, 2006, 4:15 pm
QB Coach

I think you need to read my post where I said that DT was a need for them, rather than making random points.

Ngata would be a dream for Arizona, but with Oakland, San Francisco, and Buffalo all wanting him, it's not happening. You don't see a guy with his numbers fall in the post-season. He's a Shaun Rogers type player who commands double teams inside, has the size to play NT, and has great quickness for a man of his size.

Wilson is a SS, and yes, he did lead the team in sacks. That's how Pendergast's defensive scheme works, he sends the safeties often, and has lots of blitz packages. But having a SS leading your team in sacks doesn't gauge how well the DEs played. Like I stated, Berry was on his way to another double digit sack season and pro bowl appearance until he tore up his shoulder.

January 22nd, 2006, 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
I think you need to read my post where I said that DT was a need for them, rather than making random points.

Ngata would be a dream for Arizona, but with Oakland, San Francisco, and Buffalo all wanting him, it's not happening. You don't see a guy with his numbers fall in the post-season. He's a Shaun Rogers type player who commands double teams inside, has the size to play NT, and has great quickness for a man of his size.

Wilson is a SS, and yes, he did lead the team in sacks. That's how Pendergast's defensive scheme works, he sends the safeties often, and has lots of blitz packages. But having a SS leading your team in sacks doesn't gauge how well the DEs played. Like I stated, Berry was on his way to another double digit sack season and pro bowl appearance until he tore up his shoulder.

I think you need to consider that perhaps I did read your post where you said DT was a need. I was simply making the point that Wilson lead the team in sacks, and asking you if you thought they would take Nagata if he was available. IDK... it seems to me that regardless of how often a team blitzes anyone, one of their down linemen should still lead the team in sacks. After all, sending blitzers also makes it easier for the DL to garnish sacks too. I haven't checked but I also believe they had something like 2-3 sacks from their interior DL throughout the season... that is just plain terrible. When you're not getting a rush up the middle it makes everyone's job harder. And, do you believe that their DC prefers to blitz the safeties in an inordinate amount of snaps, or does he do it out of necessity? It seems a huge asset to have them back in coverage, or lurking aroud the LOS in run support.

January 23rd, 2006, 1:58 am
All State

i think its doubtful tho that they trade down, unless its one or 2 spots , because we are not getting mario , unless sumthin drastic happens , hali, and kiwi are the best 2 prospects outside of him and we are targeting those 2 im sure, and so are other teams , i dont see us moving down that much , when i think about that sack that hali put on troy smith at happy valley , i start to lean more and more towards him ..

January 23rd, 2006, 1:06 pm
QB Coach

Okay, can we get off the fact that Arizona doesn't have a DT besides Dockett (who is a UT and actually was better than his statistics show), which already has been stated twice?

Brian wrote:
OL, RB, QB, DT are where they are going.

Brian wrote:
read my post where I said that DT was a need for them

I mean, I can make random points too. Joey Harrington was the 3rd overall pick. That's great, but how about trying to elaborate on the discussion a bit, rather than stating facts that have already been stated?

And quite frankly, I don't think Pendergast cares who's getting the sacks, as long as they are happening.

You say that you are reading my posts, then I get comments like this, after I state this:

Brian wrote:
Berry was on his way to another double digit sack season and pro bowl appearance until he tore up his shoulder.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
it seems to me that regardless of how often a team blitzes anyone, one of their down linemen should still lead the team in sacks.

I also need to question your ability to judge a player's impact. You state that Arizona's DT's are terrible (which has already been agreed on), but your reasoning was that they aren't getting sacks. Sacks are an indicator of how good a DT is? Rocky Bernard is better than Shaun Rogers then? How about Kindall Moorehead better than Kevin Williams?

I don't believe, I know that Arizona loves to send their safeties, because I watch their games, I see what Pendergast is doing, and the statistics back me up. It's clear to everyone, but maybe not you, that it's much more important to pressure the QB than to cover the WRs, as shown in the playoffs. Look at what Lynch did to Brady, or Polamalu to Plummer. Why wouldn't sending a safety be a good idea? Wilson was the team's MVP this year because of his reckless play.

January 23rd, 2006, 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2