View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why not D.J. Shockley ?How about Omar Jacobs 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Why not D.J. Shockley ?How about Omar Jacobs
D.J. Shockley was a senior.He was superb for gerogia.I heard Omar Jacobs is going to entrer the draft this year

January 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Why not D.J. Shockley ?How about Omar Jacobs
espnbaby wrote:
D.J. Shockley was a senior.He was superb for gerogia.I heard Omar Jacobs is going to entrer the draft this year

I think it's definitely a good idea for the Lions to trade down and pick up an additional first round/second round draft pick (like they did to get Kevin Jones) in order to draft Jay Cutler or Omar Jacobs while still being able to draft a needed position player with the other pick!! 2 picks for the price of 1!!

January 6th, 2006, 10:41 pm
Profile YIM

Right now I'd be happy with the Lions drafting Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, Omar Jacobs, Jay Cutler, or Charlie Whitehurst (maybe even D.J. Shockley). If the Lions could draft any of these QB's (no matter what round) I think they are all potential starters and could be the future QB's of this franchise!!

January 6th, 2006, 10:42 pm
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

Please stop the Jacobs and Shockley lovefest. Jacobs should have stayed for his senior season as he had a bad year and could improve his draft status by staying another year and Shockley doesn't exactly excite me as a pro quarterback, unless you want to run the spread-option.

January 7th, 2006, 2:38 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Omar Jacobs s not that good and will need at least one year to develop and thats pushing it

January 7th, 2006, 10:28 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Right now I'd be happy with the Lions drafting Matt Leinhart, Vince Young, Omar Jacobs, Jay Cutler, or Charlie Whitehurst (maybe even D.J. Shockley). If the Lions could draft any of these QB's (no matter what round) I think they are all potential starters and could be the future QB's of this franchise!!

Now you like Whitehurst. Earlier you gave me a hard time about him and now you would be happey with him.

January 7th, 2006, 1:15 pm
RIP Killer

Shockley is no good IMO. Many reasons but I'm in a hurry - SAY NO TO SHOCKLEY!

January 7th, 2006, 1:54 pm

adpreston1385 wrote:

Now you like Whitehurst. Earlier you gave me a hard time about him and now you would be happey with him.

Are you sure that was me? I don't think I ever gave you a hard time with Whitehurst. If I remember correctly, I was the first one to bring up Whitehurst as a QB for the Lions many months ago!!

January 7th, 2006, 3:39 pm
Profile YIM
#1 Overall Pick

Jacobs should have stayed for his senior season as he had a bad year and could improve his draft status by staying another year

Who cares what a player's "draft staus" is?

Either he has the tools to succeed or he doesn't.

His "draft status" won't affect how he plays in the NFL........but a team may get him for a better value by him coming out now.

I don't personally like much about his game........but he will LEARN more about how to succeed in the NFL (fundamentals, practice reps against pro competition, watching film, learning terminology, etc) by coming out now instead of playing another year in a shotgun-spread offense against lower competition.

January 7th, 2006, 4:40 pm
Varsity Captain

Shockley and Jacobs both have some great abilities as QBs. There are a huge number of QBs with alot of ability in this years draft the Lions have to take advantage whether it be Jacobs, Shockley, Vick, Cutler, Young or any number of juniors yet to declare.

Although i would again like to say that i dont want Leinart, he is a disappointment waiting to happen.

Charlie Whitehurst worries me because he has very poor mobility and has shown he is easily shaken by pressure.

January 7th, 2006, 6:29 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Are you sure that was me? I don't think I ever gave you a hard time with Whitehurst. If I remember correctly, I was the first one to bring up Whitehurst as a QB for the Lions many months ago!!

I am sorry i reread your post and I miss the part were you actually agreed with me. Does anyone know there they pick Whitehurst to be drafted? He has a good arm and can move alittle and a 4 year starter at Clemson.

January 8th, 2006, 2:20 pm

adpreston1385 wrote:

I am sorry i reread your post and I miss the part were you actually agreed with me. Does anyone know there they pick Whitehurst to be drafted? He has a good arm and can move alittle and a 4 year starter at Clemson.

Whitehurst will probably be drafted in the 2nd-4th round, with the 3rd round being most likely.

January 8th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

Quote:
Jacobs should have stayed for his senior season as he had a bad year and could improve his draft status by staying another year

Who cares what a player's "draft staus" is?

Either he has the tools to succeed or he doesn't.

His "draft status" won't affect how he plays in the NFL........but a team may get him for a better value by him coming out now.

I don't personally like much about his game........but he will LEARN more about how to succeed in the NFL (fundamentals, practice reps against pro competition, watching film, learning terminology, etc) by coming out now instead of playing another year in a shotgun-spread offense against lower competition.

By improving his skills in college, he improves his draft status. I'm sorry, I should have explained that in full the first time. He is not an exciting draft prospect because of his limited skill set ie: Throwing motion, reading defense, playing in a spread offense is a hinderance etc.

Going by your theory of coming out earlier to get into a pro-set system, he should have tried to come out last year. Heck, he could have if he's a juco transfer. He shouldn't have wasted this past season in college. :lol:

January 8th, 2006, 4:52 pm
#1 Overall Pick

By improving his skills in college, he improves his draft status. I'm sorry, I should have explained that in full the first time. He is not an exciting draft prospect because of his limited skill set ie: Throwing motion, reading defense, playing in a spread offense is a hinderance etc.

Going by your theory of coming out earlier to get into a pro-set system, he should have tried to come out last year. Heck, he could have if he's a juco transfer. He shouldn't have wasted this past season in college

He could have come out after last year because he was a red-shirt sophomore (3 years removed from high school)............and his "VALUE" would have been the same then (or higher) than it is now.

He still has the same skills. He still has the SAME PROBLEMS or concerns (awkward delivery, no experience in a pro-style offense, lower competition). DISCLAIMER: YES.....I know Pennington, Leftwich, Roethlisberger, and Frye have all come from the MAC in recent years!

My point wasn't about whether it is good or bad for Omar Jacobs personally.

My point is that an NFL team should have plenty of games to judge his ability after almost 2 full years of starting. Whether he puts up great STATS in a game against Ball State or Akron really isn't going to impress an NFL scout. All they need to evaluate is his physical ability, his mental make-up, and whether they think his "faults" can be corrected with coaching.

As long as he stays in college......BGSU isn't going to teach him anything different in terms of throwing motion.......because they don't need to for him to have success. He isn't going to learn about reading NFL defenses at BGSU either......since they play the spread offense.

SO YEAH........he should come out now and start to develop his "NFL game" now........because he really can't do anything else in college to eliminate the concerns about his game.

Like I said........either he has the tools to get better (physical + mental ability)......................or he doesn't. I think he is a HUGE question mark, and was personally NOT IMPRESSED by him when I saw him play. He seemed to rattle fairly easily, didn't throw many balls well beyond 10 yards, didn't show any touch and throws each pass with the same trajectory, and isn't a great scrambler (only decent mobility).

He reminds me of Aaron Brooks......or even a young Jeff George.

January 8th, 2006, 5:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Phunny, I won't even quote your last post, I'll just let the last sentence speak for itself. :lol:

January 8th, 2006, 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next