View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Even if Young enters, Texans will take Bush No. 1 
QB Coach

Post Even if Young enters, Texans will take Bush No. 1
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

With Carr in place, Texans to take Bush

Quote:
The Houston Texans will select USC running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this April's NFL draft, pending the formality of Bush announcing that he is turning pro, team and league sources told Chris Mortensen.

Almost nothing will change that course, the sources say, even after the Texans received word Friday from an intermediary representing Texas quarterback Vince Young that the Houston native is leaning strongly to also going pro.

The Texans will pick up an $8 million option on quarterback David Carr, who was the expansion team's first draft pick four years ago. Texans owner Bob McNair made the decision after getting extensive evaluations from various sources that strongly endorsed Carr, including a favorable report from Dan Reeves, the former longtime NFL coach hired last month as a consultant.

USC's Matt Leinart, who could have been the first pick a year ago had he turned pro after his junior season, still remains the consensus top quarterback in the NFL draft, even if Young comes out. For Leinart, he is likely to be the choice of the New Orleans Saints at No. 2 with Young projected to the Tennessee Titans at No. 3.

Young would be mentored by Titans quarterback Steve McNair, who is hoping to sign a new contract with the club for the 2006 season.

Leinart also would be desirable to Tennessee, where his former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow is now calling plays for the Titans.

Couldn't agree any more. =D>

January 7th, 2006, 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

It was to be expected with all the hype about Bush. But if i were the Texans i would take D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Vince Young ahead of Bush, Ferguson would improve that terrible OL and IMO without the upgrade at OL nearly no skilled position player will make much of a difference for them, and Vince Young because with his ability to run out of the pocket would help minimize the the effect of a piss poor OL.

No doubt Bush is the good RB, but i am not sure he is that good that you can put him behind a crap OL and expect him to make a difference.

January 7th, 2006, 7:02 pm
RIP Killer

Brian - you know better than that! We haven't had the combine, pro days, etc. yet. Think back one year, wasn't Aaron Rogers a pretty sure fire #1 overall pick by San Fran right up until shortly before the draft (and then fell all the way to GB as one genius predicted in his mock draft :lol: ).

Anything can happen in the next few months. The Texans could still trade Carr for all we know. They could also trade the pick, throwing a wrench into the whole thing. If nothing changes between now and the draft, then the Texans likely would take Bush.

BTW - wasn't Mort saying Pacells was going to retire a week ago?

January 7th, 2006, 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Think back one year, wasn't Aaron Rogers a pretty sure fire #1 overall pick by San Fran right up until shortly before the draft.

No.

January 7th, 2006, 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653

Interesting who thought Aaron Rodgers was the number one prospect and who didn't....

Sorry Brian - had to do it :lol:

January 8th, 2006, 12:37 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That's alright, the man completed 22 consecutive passes against USC. I still think he will turn out well. I always had him as a top 10 prospect

But he wasn't the "sure-fire #1 pick" ever. He was only mentioned as the #1 pick, it wasn't like they came out and stated they wanted him.

"The Lions won't be selecting WR in the first"

Funny stuff... good thing I later changed my thoughts.

January 8th, 2006, 12:48 am
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

I personally think that Houston is VERY DUMB to even show a bias to one particular player. I think in a year like this with 3 VERY DIFFERENT players EACH worthy of a #1 overall selection..........plus D'Brick as well as a possible "franchise" OLT..........they SHOULD be treating it as a lottery sweepstakes.

I don't care how good Reggie Bush could be......or Vince Young.......they could use their position to possibly leverage an "Eli Manning" deal.

IF THAT ISN'T ENOUGH.......................imagine if they traded down to #3 with the Titans (who may want Leinart or Young ahead of New Orleans)..................... they may end up having a chance to draft Bush at #3 overall PLUS save a whole lot of money in the process.

AND......................if Bush were to go #2 overall and they miss out on him.................that means Leinart or Young is still available at #3 overall......................and they may be able to land ANOTHER KING'S RANSOM for a team to move up and get the QB.

Maybe that wouldn't happen..........but the SMART MOVE is to keep everybody below you guessing at your true intentions.............because that is the only way to get optimum VALUE out of the #1 overall pick!

January 8th, 2006, 2:25 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I think that is a good move by the Texans. Dominick Davis just can't stay healthy.. he misses too many games ( reminds me of Kevin Jones).

Take Bush and then go to work on that Offensive Line before Carr gets killed.

The Texans are really standing by Carr.. moreso than what the Lions have done with Joey who has also struggled.

January 9th, 2006, 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]