View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What postion should Lions draft in Round #1 

QB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
OL 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
LB 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
DL 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
WR-RB 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CB-S 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Best Defensive Player on the board 42%  42%  [ 14 ]
Best Offensive Player on the board 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

Pro Bowl Player

Post What postion should Lions draft in Round #1
Put on your GM hat. What position would you draft in the first round for the Lions?

January 8th, 2006, 4:42 pm
#1 Overall Pick

The Lions can't possibly know what position to pick at this point because they haven't signed or re-signed 1 FA yet.

Much of what they do in the Draft will depend on what happens to Jeff Backus, Kalimba Edwards, Earl holmes, and Joey Harrington.

Also, I always hope for a trade down.......and IF the Lions were able to successfully trade down on draft day, the extra picks may afford them more flexibility than they would have with their current picks.

January 8th, 2006, 5:49 pm
Cheerleader

I said other just because I think we should go with the best player available. I dont think it should be restricted to offense or defense. And I don't think we have to worry about the best player at our spot being a WR this year.

January 8th, 2006, 8:42 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I said other just because I think we should go with the best player available. I dont think it should be restricted to offense or defense. And I don't think we have to worry about the best player at our spot being a WR this year.

I think Santonio Holmes is a possible top 10 pick, and there is a TE that is a top 10 pick - but I think the Lions have NEEDS and should address them with the possible player at a need position - we have talent, and some depth , but there are obvious neds on the offensive line and QB on offense and FS and LB on Defense that should trump that thought process

January 8th, 2006, 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

I would say BPA that happens to play DE, OT, or LB.

AND...........if the right player isn't available at #9.........Millen had better do everything he can to trade down.

Who is the right player?

Right now.........D'Brick, "super" Mario, and Hawk are the only 3 I would be happy with at #9.

Unfortunately..............I'm pretty confident all of those players will also be gone before the Lions pick............so I really hope another team wants to make a trade.

Disclaimer: This is assuming Young, Bush, and Leinart are all taken of course.

.....................................................................................................

January 8th, 2006, 9:51 pm
RIP Killer

bgrider20 wrote:

I think Santonio Holmes is a possible top 10 pick, and there is a TE that is a top 10 pick - but I think the Lions have NEEDS and should address them with the possible player at a need position - we have talent, and some depth , but there are obvious neds on the offensive line and QB on offense and FS and LB on Defense that should trump that thought process

Couple of things. I agree with the BPA approach, but it has to be within reason. First off, Santonio Holmes is barely a top 20 receiver, definitely not a top 10. Vernon Davis might be a top 10 TE, but most likely won't be taken in the top 10. He's going to either Arizona or St. Louis (if they elect not to take Michael Huff or Jimmy Williams) if he even goes that early.

The fact is our moves in free agency will influence our moves on draft day.

Last edited by m2karateman on January 8th, 2006, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 8th, 2006, 10:04 pm
Pro Bowl Player

The fact is our moves in free agency will influence our moves on draft day.

When is the last time a WR wasn't taken in the top 10 -- other than that I agree with theFA statement - The Lions need one more good year in FA

And an Outstanding draft

BTW - The Lions alone make it hard to find the last time there wasn't a WR taken in the top 10 :lol:

January 8th, 2006, 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I'll get this - 98 amd 02---- so theres a 4 years trend -- Iguess 06 would be a good year

BTW 98 Randy Moss was selected 21 and 02 Dante Stallworth 12

January 8th, 2006, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

In the first round I want the best defensive player available... a play maker. An with the exception of S Rogers that could be any position from the DL to S.

Unless their is a HOG for the OL.. I doubt there will be, I don't want another 1st round offensive player...

January 9th, 2006, 12:18 pm
In it's purest form the BPA aproach is flawed... If the damn BPA is another WR this year you DON'T take him no matter what. Maybe at the time BMW was the BPA on most teams draft boards... regardless of production and issuses that have had the benefit of hindsight that pick was still crappy... Even if we would have ran more 3 WR sets and got him on th field more, the team had MUCH more pressing issues at DE, MLB, FS, OT, and OG that should have been addressed before getting yet another WR. Even in light of Charles apparent drug problem I don't like the BMW pick, and again... it's not because I don't think he can ever be a good player...

That said a modified version of the BPA, one that addresses and takes into account team needs AND value is what I would prefer to adhere to. Take an OT with our first round pick if the best player is an OT. Take a MLB, CB, or FS if we can get value there. I really don't care what position we fill as long as we fill a position. IMO FS, MLB, or DE would be the biggest improvement we could fill in the first round. FS or DE being the biggest contributors (FS because of personnel upgrade, and DE because of positional upgrade... what I mean by that is a first round FS would be hands down better than Holt, but upgradeing the DE spot would be the single biggest improvement on our team). At this point Kiwi or Williams would be my pick... I think Williams is a little unrealistic, but Kiwi is attainable.

January 9th, 2006, 5:03 pm
QB Coach

But in hindsight, Mike wasn't the BPA. He wasn't even the BPA at his position. There were about 5 receivers that were better than him picked after him. No, you can't evaluate them accurately until 3 years later (and Mike was the biggest project), but taking him wasn't taking the BPA, not when guys like Merriman, Tatupu, Thurman, Johnson and Ware had the seasons they had.

January 10th, 2006, 12:02 am
Profile WWW
But in hindsight....

nuff said.... I said without respect to hindsight... And, you can say that BMW wasn't the BPA... personally i don't think he was either, but many (including the illustrious jackass Mel Kiper) had him as the #1 over all prospect in the draft......

January 10th, 2006, 1:14 am
QB Coach

I know, but in every single decision made in the NFL, the only thing that ever matters is what the end result is. Everyone can speak of "at the time, it was the right move", or "I would have done the same thing" or "no one else knew about this guy". That's what separates the great from the guys who shouldn't have jobs. The Pioli's from the Millen's.

January 10th, 2006, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I say it depends on who we can resign, that should determine what we need to draft.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 10th, 2006, 7:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I say it depends on who we can resign, that should determine what we need to draft.

B...B....BIN..GO...!!

January 10th, 2006, 7:16 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next