View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What postion should Lions draft in Round #1 

QB 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
OL 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
LB 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
DL 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
WR-RB 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CB-S 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Best Defensive Player on the board 42%  42%  [ 14 ]
Best Offensive Player on the board 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

I know, but in every single decision made in the NFL, the only thing that ever matters is what the end result is. Everyone can speak of "at the time, it was the right move", or "I would have done the same thing" or "no one else knew about this guy". That's what separates the great from the guys who shouldn't have jobs. The Pioli's from the Millen's.

For the most part I agree with your comments whole heartedly. There is definitely something to be said for generating results. I don't necessarily agree that "every single decision" made in the NFL is determined by the end result to that single decision. IMO the good teams over come difficulty and individual bad decisions and the bad teams don't. It's not one single decision that should be analyzed and criticized, but a set of decisions... I really believe that the BMW pick (though I hate it) can be justified as a BPA pick (an at the time BPA), but not when it is paired with other managerial blunders. It would be awesome to see the draft boards of other NFL franchises and see where various franchises had BMW slated. Certainly I would think that few had him listed as lower than top 15, but no one really knows what a team like NE would have done if they were picking 15 and he was available. Would they take him, or would someone like him not even be in the first round on their board??? I would be surprised to see a draft board that is THAT radically different. Sensibility tells me that if it filled a need that any team would have taken BMW after 10... I have no idea why we took him not needing him though..... Mark Clayton and Matt Jones both had good seasons, but I would be willing to bet dollars to dimes their respective teams would have taken BMW over either of them. Reggie Brown looks like one of the best WRs of the draft, but does that mean Phili is a good team for picking him? They too would have likely drafted someone else had they been available and drafted IMO a so-so DT with their first pick in the draft.

January 12th, 2006, 12:15 am
QB Coach

I don't necessarily agree that "every single decision" made in the NFL is determined by the end result to that single decision.

I'm just curious then, what decision in the NFL isn't entirely determined by it's end result?

January 12th, 2006, 12:40 am
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't necessarily agree that "every single decision" made in the NFL is determined by the end result to that single decision.

I'm just curious then, what decision in the NFL isn't entirely determined by it's end result?

You have to define 'end result'.... is the end result the over-all product on the field?... is it the overall record at the end of the season?

As I read your thoughts it seems to me that you mean the decision is isolated and the result only matters in its isolation. If a team can "make a decision" to cut someone like Lawer Milloy, or Ty Law is that the end of it? Or is it something more?... Does it matter how they then go on from there? If a team like the Lions makes a decision to draft someone like Jeff Hartings is that the end of it? What about JH or RW or CR? IMO it's not a decision in isolation, its a set of decisions that needs to be evaulated.

January 12th, 2006, 12:46 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As others have stated, it all depends upon what transpires in free agency. For the time being, I went with OL because that is their biggest need IMO. Now, if the Lions re-sign Jeff Backus to a reasonable contract AND land Steve Hutchinson, OL will no longer be a huge need and I'd switch my vote to best defensive player available.

In terms of BPA, there are a lot of variables involved here. Very few people ever agree who is the BPA at any given draft spot outside the top 5 or so. Kiper may say one thing while Gosselin may say another. It is nothing more than their opinion and everyone has one. While one may value speed over strength, someone else may value character ahead of either. It's all a guessing game and nobody has invented the perfect system yet.

As for hindsight, it's easy to look at what a player has done in the NFL and assume that he would have done the same thing if he was chosen by another team. I really don't think that is the case. A lot of it depends upon the scheme that he is being used in and the players that surround him. Take Terrell Suggs for example. I think he would have stunk as a 4-3 DE for Detroit, but he excelled as a 3-4 OLB in Baltimore. He's now playing down for them, but I don't think he could have done that effectively his first couple of years in the league.

January 12th, 2006, 12:52 am
QB Coach

Brian wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You have to define 'end result'.... is the end result the over-all product on the field?... is it the overall record at the end of the season?

As I read your thoughts it seems to me that you mean the decision is isolated and the result only matters in its isolation. If a team can "make a decision" to cut someone like Lawer Milloy, or Ty Law is that the end of it? Or is it something more?... Does it matter how they then go on from there? If a team like the Lions makes a decision to draft someone like Jeff Hartings is that the end of it? What about JH or RW or CR? IMO it's not a decision in isolation, its a set of decisions that needs to be evaulated.

It's the end result. It's what happens after you make a move. If you draft a player, what he does over his career. If you sign a player, what he does over his tenure. If you sign a coach, how he does with that team. It's not hard to figure out.

So what moves in the NFL happen where the move is judged and critiqued, and not the end result of the move? I'm just curious, because there seems to be absolutely no examples anywhere I can recall.

January 12th, 2006, 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I would like to see the lions go with Best defensive player or O lineman available. This draft is pretty deap at both Oline and defensive players. but after the lions get 2 solid Olinemen they should just go with Best defensive player available.

Millen wants a tough physical team. It starts with defense. it is possible to win with a great defense and a sub-par offence...Chicago...and with a good O-line the entire offence is better cuz the RB has better holes and the Qb has some time to throw the ball

January 13th, 2006, 11:26 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I would like to see the lions go with Best defensive player or O lineman available

I second that motion.

Unless we trade down and have a chance to take Vernon Davis after #20.
...........Of course, trading down into the #20-#30 range would mean we would have options at FS, MLB, OG, CB, or even OT or DE still...........so I still wouldn't really hope for a TE in round 1.

PLUS..........assuming we traded down that far...........we likely would have two extra 3rd rounders OR an extra 2nd rounder (and possibly more) to help address the TE position.

January 14th, 2006, 9:14 am
Div 1 - Starter

TE is not a HUGE need for the lions. i wouldnt mind seeing the lions taking a TE if he is a steal like leonard pope in the second round although that is HIGHLY unlikely. The lions still have a good TE in Marcus Pollard and could use their picks for something that would help them more in 2006, OG, OT, DE, LB, S, CB

January 14th, 2006, 11:11 am
League MVP

Quote:
As others have stated, it all depends upon what transpires in free agency. For the time being, I went with OL because that is their biggest need IMO. Now, if the Lions re-sign Jeff Backus to a reasonable contract AND land Steve Hutchinson, OL will no longer be a huge need and I'd switch my vote to best defensive player available.

i agree Hutchinson would be a big upgrade but the OL would still have avg or weak players like Backus, Raiola and Butler. Millen has long overlooked the necessity of building depth and continuity on the offensive line through FA. We at least need to add a 2nd-4th rd pick on an offensive lineman who has a shot at playing the next coupld of seasons. DeMulling was clueless early in the season, Kosier did a decent job of replacing him at G. Raiola is always overmatched vs DL and he has bulked up more than his frame can handle to compensate which now limits his 2nd level playing. They are more than one FA away.

January 15th, 2006, 11:23 am
BANNED

I would say BPA that happens to play DE, OT, or LB.

.....................................................................................................

then LB is not an option since Ahmad Brooks is out of draft, there is no other LBers other than Hawk worthy of that pick and he definitely wont last. So you probably cut it down to DE/OT best available, or just say best exterior lineman.

January 15th, 2006, 9:46 pm
All State

2st round , u take de / or s .. hawk isnt gonna be there and hes the only lb that really could warrant going that high , mario will probaly be gone, kiwi wont, take him or jimmy williams, i say take jimmy , with him kennoy , bly , bryant in the secondary that would really bolster the defense ..

January 17th, 2006, 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2