View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wishing and wanting. 
Heisman Winner

Post Wishing and wanting.
I'd guess today (without alot of research) I might like to see something like this.

1- Mario Williams/Michael Huff/Chad Greenway in that order
2- Jay Cutler/ Abdul Hodge/Chris Spencer (G-Pitt)
3- Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State
4- Matt Lentz G- Michigan
5- Ryan Cook C- New Mexico
6- M. Bernstien FB-Wisconsin
7- Cody Douglas T- Tennessee

Obviously drafts are about impossible to predict and I have no way of telling if NFL teams rate these guys at this level at this point. I think the Lions recently have spent too many #3 picks on CBs to the detriment of their offensive line. It seems that alot of the OL prospects available at those points seem to have success while the 3rd rounders they've chosen were all outplayed to this point by Chris Cash. This is in contrast to the 7th rounders they always spend on Tackles that tend to be cut in camp.

These are knid of my gut feelings, I haven't looked for any real facts to substantiate them as of now. I'd be interested to see any other lists and comments regarding mine...

January 9th, 2006, 8:28 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I would be very happy if we had those players to choose from in the first 3 rounds..........but I think most will be gone earlier.

I know that guys fall from the 1st round every year.............but I think the chances of Cutler falling to us in the 2nd round are pretty much hopeless at this point. He has been mentioned as a possbile top 10 pick..............and teams like Baltimore, Miami, and Arizona may consider him in the #10 to #16 range. IF he fell out of round 1...........teams like the Jets, Raiders, and even the Packers would all have to pass a 2nd time.

Abdul Hodge may be a player who could slip through the cracks and into round 2..........but I'm not expceting it to happen.

San Diego................older MLBs
New England.............thin at MLB
Carolina..................Morgan is hurt a lot
Indy......................really needs a MLB.
Houston................may change to 4-3? not much talent at LB
New Orleans...........LBs have been bad for years.
Green Bay...............would like to move Nick Barnett to WLB
Oakland..................thin at LB.....and need lots of defense.

Bobby Carpenter in the 3rd round is also not a very likely possibility.

Carpenter is a BIG LB who could have great versatility in the NFL..........and would likely make a 3-4 team like New England, Pittsburgh, Dallas, or San Diego very happy towards the end of round 2.............or even Cleveland or San Francisco earlier in round 2.

I really think some of the 3-4 teams will be high on Carpenter because he has the potential to play inside or outside in a 3-4 defense.

I don't mean to be a downer here...........but I guess the point I'm making is that I really like the players you mentioned.............so I can't believe that they would fall into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I guess we can always hope......right?

January 9th, 2006, 9:05 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:

I would be very happy if we had those players to choose from in the first 3 rounds..........but I think most will be gone earlier.

You're right phunny. Cutler may slip to round two, but only if his workouts are terrible. Hodge may get past Indy because they seem to like their new man in the middle Gary Brackett. David Thornton is the guy they need to replace, and former Lions pick Jonathan Goddard is his backup. With the {projected} last pick of the drafts first round, they could go with Bobby Carpenter, because I guarantee you he won't last past the first few picks of round one. Carpenter has excellent size and moves very well. No way he goes to round three. I don't see Chris Spencer being a second round pick. He might be available in round three. I am thinking Ryan Cook from New Mexico. The guy is huge (6'7" and 320 lbs) and is currently a center. I haven't seen him play, but I've heard he moves very well for a guy his size and projects to play either guard or tackle in the NFL.

January 9th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I know we have needs at OT, G, and LB but the more i see of Mike Huff i want this guy in a lions jersey really bad as a FS...he has a knack to find the ball and that is what i love about him. So with the first round pick if Huff is not snagged yet we should not even think about the pick anymore and draft him right away he will be an unbeliveable safety in the NFL. Tell me what you guys think!

January 10th, 2006, 4:33 pm
RIP Killer

I know we have needs at OT, G, and LB but the more i see of Mike Huff i want this guy in a lions jersey really bad as a FS...he has a knack to find the ball and that is what i love about him. So with the first round pick if Huff is not snagged yet we should not even think about the pick anymore and draft him right away he will be an unbeliveable safety in the NFL. Tell me what you guys think!

I like Huff for the Lions as well. The fact that he can play either safety or corner is a big plus. I don't know that he is worth the ninth overall pick, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they took him rather than trading down and risk losing him. However, if the Lions are after a pure FS, then I would say they should trade down (if possible) and try to snag either LaRon Landry or Ko Simpson.

January 10th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i like it but is seems a little optomistic. i think most of those guys are gonna be gone by the time the lions pick. for example carpenter is gonna be gone before the third round, and cutler looks like a first rounder

January 10th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Heisman Winner

I know its kind of optimistic. Hence the title of the post. I don't have a feel yet for the round grades these guys might have when april comes around. Especially the linemen listed late. What I do think is that guys slip into round two every year as teams pick folks that no one expects. At #9 in rd two, someone could fall to them or they could move up for a late #1 to get someone they liked. I remember talk of Millen wanting to trade up with KC to get Larry Johnson one year but they balked and took him themselves. I think he ended up with Boss Bailey from that pick. I'd say I want to see a Guard drafted this year before round 5 at least. I think the talk of AJ hawk and Chad Greenway is kind of sour given that I wanted DJ last year. I wonder if those guys are comparable players.

January 10th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Heisman Winner

1- Mario Williams//Chad Greenway in that order
2- Greg Blue/ Abdul Hodge/Marcedes Lewis
3- Chris Spencer (G-Pitt)/Omar Jacobs
4- Matt Lentz G- Michigan
5- Ryan Cook C- New Mexico
6- M. Bernstien FB-Wisconsin
7- Cody Douglas T- Tennessee

January 13th, 2006, 7:49 pm
QB Coach

Dont forget currently the Lions only have five draft picks. We traded this years 4th rounder last year to NE. Also we traded a conditional pick to the Jets for Jon McGraw ( i think it will end up being a 6th or a 7th rounder)

January 13th, 2006, 9:17 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

But they should get a compensatory 3rd or 4th for McMahon even though he didn't play well. Despite his less than stellar performance as a starter he played quite a bit with McNabb out and that should really help Detroit. They will also probably get a 6th or 7th for McDouglet.

January 13th, 2006, 9:44 pm
RIP Killer

I know Garcia, Pollard, McQ and Kevin Johnson were released, but I believe that Rick Demulling and Kenoy Kennedy were free agents. Based on Kennedy's playing time I don't know that we will get much in compensatory picks. McDougle was a backup almost all season and McMahon was an ineffective starter in replacement to McNabb. Performances are taken into account in the formula for determining the comp picks awarded. I was under the impression that free agents lost and free agents gained by a team were used to determine the results, not just free agents lost.

Remember also that we lost Stephen Alexander, Reggie Swinton, Tai Streets and Rod Babers as free agents as well. I am not sure if Streets or Babers ever caught on with other teams and contributed though.

January 13th, 2006, 10:35 pm
Varsity Captain

I know Garcia, Pollard, McQ and Kevin Johnson were released, but I believe that Rick Demulling and Kenoy Kennedy were free agents. Based on Kennedy's playing time I don't know that we will get much in compensatory picks. McDougle was a backup almost all season and McMahon was an ineffective starter in replacement to McNabb. Performances are taken into account in the formula for determining the comp picks awarded. I was under the impression that free agents lost and free agents gained by a team were used to determine the results, not just free agents lost.

Remember also that we lost Stephen Alexander, Reggie Swinton, Tai Streets and Rod Babers as free agents as well. I am not sure if Streets or Babers ever caught on with other teams and contributed though.

I think we also lost Az Hakim last year, he ended up having a decent year for the Saints.

January 13th, 2006, 10:49 pm
RIP Killer

Az was cut. That's not part of the comp pick equations.

January 13th, 2006, 11:25 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I was under the impression that free agents lost and free agents gained by a team were used to determine the results, not just free agents lost.

YES!.........you are correct, sir. (imagine my best Ed McMahon impersonation!) :lol:

Quote:
Az was cut. That's not part of the comp pick equations

true as well.....

January 14th, 2006, 9:08 am
All State

schegel might land in our laps, as much as i hate the buckeyes , he can play mlb, and be formidable at the spot ..

January 17th, 2006, 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next