View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Michael Huff 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Michael Huff
Well what can I say... I want him. He's very versatile in the defensive backfield, he can play free safety or Cornerback, I watched him play a couple of times this year and he is ballhawking tackling machine. He may not have that big hit capable but that certainly can be overcome... He is already rated one of the top DB's not just saftey, the only one posing a threat is Jimmy Williams, which I certainly think Huff is better then him.

I only believe his stock will rise during the combine, which will definately make him the top rated DB in the draft. I think we have a serious chance of landing, and we most certainly should.

What are your thoughts?

Michael Huff for DROY

January 10th, 2006, 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think he is overrated and shouldn't be taken in the first 10 picks.

January 10th, 2006, 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think he's a natural born playmaker and is going to be a very good NFL player. And as much as I like him for the Lions, he's not worth the ninth overall pick to me. Maybe trade down with Cleveland and he's worth the twelfth pick overall.

January 10th, 2006, 11:25 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

At this point he may not be worth the 9th pick but he could increase his value and be worth the ninth pick.

January 11th, 2006, 2:58 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I think it depends on team need and whether or not teams picking in the top 10 use the BPA approach or the NEED approach.

If they want to use him at safety then he has to be better than Darnell Bing and Laron Landry and if he is going corner than he has to be better than Jimmy Williams and Charles Gordon

If a team has him rated at number 1 he could go in the top 10. I didn't think Carlos Rogers and Adam Jones would both go in the top ten last season.

But Huff is a stud, and he had a really good bowl game. A good combine could get him rated number 1 on some boards.

January 11th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I think he's a natural born playmaker and is going to be a very good NFL player. And as much as I like him for the Lions, he's not worth the ninth overall pick to me. Maybe trade down with Cleveland and he's worth the twelfth pick overall.

If you can't swing a trade, what do you do then? Take someone else? Who would you want?

January 11th, 2006, 6:34 pm
RIP Killer

I am looking at things this way. There is going to be one of four players that would interest me that may be available when the Lions face their ninth pick.

1. Michael Huff-Would fill a need as either a cornerback or free safety. He has sprinter speed and is a capable tackler but needs to bulk up to play the run in the NFL. I would very much like to see him as a Lion, but I don't feel he has the skills to be worth the ninth pick if they make him a safety. If he can be a legitamate second cornerback, then I would say he's worth the pick.

2. Winston Justice-Seems to have learned from his past indiscretions, as he has been quiet this season. He is the second best offensive tackle in the draft, and is capable of moving to the left side. He has good feet, an excellent initial punch and has solid overall fundamentals. He needs very little if any time to become a solid starter in the NFL.

3. Matthias Kiwanuka-If he falls Kiwi is my preferred choice. The DE position has two really outstanding prospects, and this is one of them. Though he's still a bit raw, I have no doubts that Matthias will become a defensive force for whatever team selects him.

4. Chad Greenway-There is some question about this selection because it would involve a position change. Could Greenway move inside and become a legitimate middle backer in the NFL? If so, this would be an excellent pick. But after the mistake made by picking Ted Lehman and thinking he could handle playing the middle, I don't know that I would risk using the ninth pick on an unknown.

Another option would be to consider taking Vernon Davis, but once again this is too high of a pick for him. He would be an excellent addition as the heir apparent to Marcus Pollard next year. But the drawback on Davis is his lack of ideal height (a shade under 6'2").

January 11th, 2006, 8:06 pm
RIP Killer

I think Davis will go in the late first...assuming he's even the best TE on the board - I don't think he will be after the combine. A decent TE can be had in the third IMO.

I personally like Joe Klopfenstein from Colorado in the 4th (only if he puts on some more muscle for run blocking). 6-6 245 4.65

January 11th, 2006, 8:24 pm
RIP Killer

I think Davis will go in the late first...assuming he's even the best TE on the board - I don't think he will be after the combine. A decent TE can be had in the third IMO.

I personally like Joe Klopfenstein from Colorado in the 4th (only if he puts on some more muscle for run blocking). 6-6 245 4.65

Let me reiterate, the ONLY knock on Davis is his lack of ideal height. He has wide receiver speed and awesome hands. His blocking skills are raw, but improving and he has shown that he is a willing student. Davis would actually be an ideal H-back, and if Minnesota keeps their offensive scheme, he would have to be considered for that position there. As I said, Davis isn't my first choice (or second or third) but he is an option. You don't see tight ends with his receiving skills coming out every year. Two or three inches taller and he gets comparisons to Antonio Gates all over the place.

January 11th, 2006, 8:50 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Two or three inches taller and he gets comparisons to Antonio Gates all over the place.

I think a "thicker version" of Shannon Sharpe is a pretty fair comparison.

He should be able to become at least an adequate blocker with his strength and lower center of gravity.........and I'll agree that this guy could be a very prolific pass catcher.

January 11th, 2006, 9:03 pm
Heisman Winner

I am looking at things this way. There is going to be one of four players that would interest me that may be available when the Lions face their ninth pick.

1. Michael Huff-Would fill a need as either a cornerback or free safety. He has sprinter speed and is a capable tackler but needs to bulk up to play the run in the NFL. I would very much like to see him as a Lion, but I don't feel he has the skills to be worth the ninth pick if they make him a safety. If he can be a legitamate second cornerback, then I would say he's worth the pick.

2. Winston Justice-Seems to have learned from his past indiscretions, as he has been quiet this season. He is the second best offensive tackle in the draft, and is capable of moving to the left side. He has good feet, an excellent initial punch and has solid overall fundamentals. He needs very little if any time to become a solid starter in the NFL.

4. Chad Greenway-There is some question about this selection because it would involve a position change. Could Greenway move inside and become a legitimate middle backer in the NFL? If so, this would be an excellent pick. But after the mistake made by picking Ted Lehman and thinking he could handle playing the middle, I don't know that I would risk using the ninth pick on an unknown.

OK - some more questions at the risk of being too prying. If you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit on this, I'd be interested to read it. As it stands now, I'm not sure I follow all of your logic. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think this is where you are coming from. Maybe?

I think you are wanting Huff to be a cornerback rather than a safety, and a safety isn't worth the #9 pick. If he can play CB, he'd be worth it at #9 like say Bobby Taylor was years back? I thought you said he'd be a good pick at 12 or so. Is it the cap money that makes the difference to you? Or is it something else? If he's only a safgety, is he still worth #12?

If you are picking Greenway at #9, are you not wanting him to play OLB?

Very few OT's are worth a top ten pick. Usually, however, NFL teams know who these guys are. Chris Samuels etc.. Is Justice that much better than say Scott from Texas that you take him over someone else? If you're "stuck" at 9 and Huff and Justice are there, who do you want?

January 11th, 2006, 9:29 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Chad Greenway is another guy I'm looking at... Over the past couple of days I've been wanting him too. Maybe trade down with St. Louis whom they want Michael Huff really bad, make them think we really want Huff, gain a 2nd rounder and then snag Greenway... That would definately be awesome.

Michael Huff for DROY

January 11th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Feel free to ask questions. These aren't secrets, just personal opinions.

#1-It still remains to be seen if Huff has the fluid hips to effectively play corner in the pros. Word is that he does, and thus can turn and burn with the best of them. He also has to show good back pedal and ability to break out of it when receivers are running a hook or comeback. He is definitely worth the ninth pick if he can be an effective second corner. But as a safety, he is not worth the number nine pick because of the pay. The difference between what he will make as the ninth pick versus the twelfth pick means two or three million in signing bonus and at least a few million in overall salary over five or six years. Even though he will be a good safety, it's just not worth it because of other needs to be filled.

#2-Greenway is only picked to fill the MLB spot. We have more than enough outside linebackers who CAN be playmakers if they are allowed to act as such. Jaurons defense is limiting for linebackers in that regard. They rarely blitz and aren't used well in pass coverage. Bailey and Lehman have speed and playmaking ability. Alex Lewis is a natural blitzer who excels in coverage. We don't need another OLB, we need a MLB with speed. Greenway has the speed and size to be excellent in that regard. But does he work well in tight spaces? Does he work off blocks well? Can he read linemen and fill gaps quickly? Those are the questions that need answering before he gets picked for that role.

#3-I agree that there are very few offensive tackles that have been picked in the top ten in the past few years that were worth the investment.
In 2004 Robert Gallery was the second pick overall, and really hasn't lived up to that spot. In 2003 Jordan Gross was taken eighth overall and he seems to be destined for Pro Bowls in the future. In 2002 Buffalo took Mike Williams with the fourth pick (one after Harrington) and he has been a huge bust. Bryant McKinnie was taken seventh overall and has been OK, but not nearly the player Korey Stringer was. Levi Jones was taken tenth overall by Cincy and has been the best of the trio by far. In 2001 the Cards took Leonard Davis second overall, and he was a far better guard than a tackle for them.
All that being as it is, that doesn't mean you pass on what you feel is a quality offensive tackle. Winston Justice can pass and run block very well, and is fully capable of playing the left side if Backus leaves and the Lions can't sign a replacement in free agency. I wouldn't want Kyle Kosier to be the starter there. If the Lions feel Justice is the BPA and Backus is still here, they could always use Winston as the starter at left guard until either Backus or Kelly Butler is gone.

If Kiwi is gone and Huff, Justice and Greenway are there my pick would depend on our free agency losses and signings. Our biggest need of LT, FS, CB and MLB if all are empty is the LT position by far. We have corners under contract, as well as a free safety and linebackers who can play the middle. Without Backus we have only Kyle Kosier, and that's not a very good option. But Kosier is slated to be a free agent as well, so he may not be an option either.

January 11th, 2006, 10:41 pm
Pro Bowl Player

conversion02 wrote:

Let me reiterate, the ONLY knock on Davis is his lack of ideal height. He has wide receiver speed and awesome hands. His blocking skills are raw, but improving and he has shown that he is a willing student. Davis would actually be an ideal H-back, and if Minnesota keeps their offensive scheme, he would have to be considered for that position there. As I said, Davis isn't my first choice (or second or third) but he is an option. You don't see tight ends with his receiving skills coming out every year. Two or three inches taller and he gets comparisons to Antonio Gates all over the place.

I hate the Davis Pick. He is a Tight end in a wide recievers body.. We already have one of them in Mike Williams. I'd take Leonard Pope.

January 12th, 2006, 5:17 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't think Huff is worth the #9 pick. I'd say 12-15 is a good range for him to go, but not at #9. I've watched quite a few Texas games and haven't been extremely impressed with him. He is a stud, I won't deny that - but he's not in the same range as a Sean Taylor IMO...who is worthy of a #9 pick. He needs to get stronger IMO - the last thing we need is someone getting ran over at the goal line like Brock Marion.

I would love to trade down a few spots and take Huff, but it probably won't be available. I'd be just as happy taking Kiwi, Williams, or Ferguson. I don't think Justice is worthy of the #9 pick either.

Ferris wrote:
I hate the Davis Pick. He is a Tight end in a wide recievers body.. We already have one of them in Mike Williams. I'd take Leonard Pope.

Mercedes Lewis is the same way. There aren't really any outstanding bocking TEs with adequate receiving skills in this draft...unless you want to take a fast FB...which are few and far between.

January 12th, 2006, 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next