View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Michael Huff 
I don't think Huff is worth the #9 pick. I'd say 12-15 is a good range for him to go, but not at #9. I've watched quite a few Texas games and haven't been extremely impressed with him. He is a stud, I won't deny that - but he's not in the same range as a Sean Taylor IMO...who is worthy of a #9 pick. He needs to get stronger IMO - the last thing we need is someone getting ran over at the goal line like Brock Marion.

I would love to trade down a few spots and take Huff, but it probably won't be available. I'd be just as happy taking Kiwi, Williams, or Ferguson. I don't think Justice is worthy of the #9 pick either.

Ferris wrote:
I hate the Davis Pick. He is a Tight end in a wide recievers body.. We already have one of them in Mike Williams. I'd take Leonard Pope.

Mercedes Lewis is the same way. There aren't really any outstanding bocking TEs with adequate receiving skills in this draft...unless you want to take a fast FB...which are few and far between.

Not in the same range as Sean Taylor who IS worth a #9 pick? The same guy that got ejected from the biggest game of his career for spitting on another player???

Huff isn't the tackeler or powerhouse that Taylor is. That is for sure. However, Huff is faster (Taylor had a TERRIBLE pro-day) and plays better in pass coverage. Given we have Kennedy, a SS that is more worthwhile in run support than coverage, I think Huff is a nice complement with his man coverage ability and speed. I don't know if Huff's value is #9, #12, or #15, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we took him in the absense of Kiwi, Williams, Hawk, and Ferguson.

January 12th, 2006, 2:02 pm
RIP Killer

Not in the same range as Sean Taylor who IS worth a #9 pick? The same guy that got ejected from the biggest game of his career for spitting on another player???

I'm not comparing character issues. Obviously Taylor is full of himself, but I'm not considering egos here - I was just commenting on talent.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Huff isn't the tackeler or powerhouse that Taylor is. That is for sure. However, Huff is faster (Taylor had a TERRIBLE pro-day) and plays better in pass coverage. Given we have Kennedy, a SS that is more worthwhile in run support than coverage, I think Huff is a nice complement with his man coverage ability and speed. I don't know if Huff's value is #9, #12, or #15, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we took him in the absense of Kiwi, Williams, Hawk, and Ferguson.

Huff is a good tackler, but not a great one. I don't want a FS who can get ran over like Brock Marion (I'm sick of watching that). If Huff can get stronger, then I think he'd be an awesome FS. The only problem with Huff is that he takes a lot of risks. These pay off in college, but not necessarily in the pros. Bly and Huff in the backfield makes me worried though. Two high risk players on one side of the field. Chances are they will shut down a solid WR, but it's those chances like what happens with Bly. He is a playmaker, just like Huff, but when he doesn't win those high risk plays - he loses and gives up huge plays.

A fast, solid FS would give us a chance to bring up Kennedy in run support, but our FS has to be solid. I'm worried Huff takes too many chances and will make too many bad decisions - like Bly.

January 12th, 2006, 2:45 pm
QB Coach

Taylor ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day. I don't see how that is "terrible". He has amazing athleticism for a man of his size.

January 12th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Taylor ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day. I don't see how that is "terrible". He has amazing athleticism for a man of his size.

I didn't say his speed was terrible, I said he had a terrible pro-day. If I recall correctly 4.51 was his BEST time along with something near 4.57 and something in the 4.6's. If you want to call that a flat 4.5 go for it, but by most accounts he had a terrible pro-day.

Quote:
FS Sean Taylor, Miami (Fla.) ? Showed up out of shape and had what scouts called a ?lazy? workout. Much as Michael Vick did when the quarterback was coming out in 2001, Taylor is said to have a posse of hangers-on who detract from his focus. He had yet to hire an agent prior to his workout, which likely played into his poor conditioning, but he has since hired Drew Rosenhaus and re-scheduled another workout in April. Don?t expect his draft status to slip much, if at all ? his film speaks for itself ? but there are some off-the-field questions surrounding Taylor.

His bench press reps were also low (10-11 I believe), and his agility wasn't great. Given his character and apparent work ethic I expect Huff to have a much better workout.

January 13th, 2006, 1:54 am
QB Coach

So he shows up "out of shape" and runs a 4.51, and you're criticizing it?!

smh

January 13th, 2006, 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

So he shows up "out of shape" and runs a 4.51, and you're criticizing it?!

smh

Yes if he should have run a 4.4 or faster than a 4.51 was a horrible day. It just goes to show the mentality of the athlete and his work ethic. I beleive WJB was saying a horiible day not only because of his 40 time but also becuase of the rebs, and his agility scores. he should have done better in all areas of his workouts, so for his "potential" showing at the combine he had a terrible day.

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

January 13th, 2006, 8:23 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The comparisons between those two are ridiculous anyways because Huff is more of a finese and in the right position guy while Taylor is a more physical and impose his will player. Just look at their measurements Talor is 6'2" 230 lbs while Huff is 6'1" and just over 200 lbs. When a guy that is Taylor's size runs just a tad slower than a guy that is 30 lbs lighter, I'll take the guy with the slower 40.

January 13th, 2006, 10:00 am
#1 Overall Pick

The comparisons between those two are ridiculous anyways because Huff is more of a finese and in the right position guy while Taylor is a more physical and impose his will player. Just look at their measurements Talor is 6'2" 230 lbs while Huff is 6'1" and just over 200 lbs. When a guy that is Taylor's size runs just a tad slower than a guy that is 30 lbs lighter, I'll take the guy with the slower 40.

AND.........Sean Taylor had more INTs in his Junior season alone than Huff had for his ENTIRE 4 year playing career (50+ games).

Huff may be a fine prospect........but he is not in the same ballpark as Sean Taylor.

January 13th, 2006, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

Leave the physical stuff out of this. I'll take Huff because he's a more disciplined player and a more disciplined personality. You can keep Sean Taylor. He will never be anything special in this league because he doesn't have the brains for it.

January 13th, 2006, 7:29 pm
QB Coach

Yes if he should have run a 4.4 or faster than a 4.51 was a horrible day. It just goes to show the mentality of the athlete and his work ethic. I beleive WJB was saying a horiible day not only because of his 40 time but also becuase of the rebs, and his agility scores. he should have done better in all areas of his workouts, so for his "potential" showing at the combine he had a terrible day.

But I still don't get what you guys are expecting out of a 230+ pound safety. How many people weigh that much, and can run in the 4.5 range? There's maybe a select few that can do that.

He also didn't do anything at the combine besides get weighed and measured, no lifting, no running, no catching.

And I still don't get how being maybe a tenth of a second slower than what was expected (an already unreasonable time) is

By the way, another article shows Taylor's 40 time, vertical, and speaks of how great his pro day was.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2004/bikoff030304.htm

Quote:
Taylor kept scouts talking about him with his performance at Miami?s pro day, when he averaged 4.51 seconds in three attempts at running the 40. He also showed off a 35-inch vertical leap to solidify his status as one of the best athletes in the draft.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Insider/2004/CombineFS.htm

I don't get how he had a "horrible" pro day. His draft stock didn't fall any at all (which is the point of judging a workout - if they rose or if they fell), and he solidified some numbers that others believed.

January 13th, 2006, 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Comparing Sean Taylor to Micheal Huff is not fair to Huff, Sean Taylor was one of the best Safety prospects in a long time.

This whole thing about 40 time i dont take much stock in, Sean Taylors field speed is much faster then a 4.51, the 40 is track time not football speed, a prime example of this is Chad Johnson watching him play you see he is one of the fastest guys on the field but he only ran a high 4.5 i think.

As for Sean Taylor being ejected, yeah it was very stupid but he still had a recovered Fumble for a TD.

Taylor is better tackler, hitter, and better ball hawking skills.

Huff is a better cover guy, and probably a smarter football player.

Is Huff worth a #9 pick?, i am yet to be convinced he looked ok in the Rose bowl but he is not a dominant prospect, although some of his flaws are correctable things (playing too high).

January 13th, 2006, 10:19 pm
All State

id take williams over huff anyways, hes built for immeadiate play 6'3 , and his stats are way better than huffs when he was at free .. hes a playmaker and will go and make the hit, a smart mans sean taylor .. we take him or kiwi in the 1st round , maybe trade down to the rams so they can get huff and we get williams, but we can get a quality mlb in the 3rd round , and we will get a good ol in the 2nd , this will be one of the best lions drafts in history , i beleive it will be ..

January 17th, 2006, 11:10 am
id take williams over huff anyways, hes built for immeadiate play 6'3 , and his stats are way better than huffs when he was at free .. hes a playmaker and will go and make the hit, a smart mans sean taylor .. we take him or kiwi in the 1st round , maybe trade down to the rams so they can get huff and we get williams, but we can get a quality mlb in the 3rd round , and we will get a good ol in the 2nd , this will be one of the best lions drafts in history , i beleive it will be ..

A "smart" Sean Taylor? The same guy that got kicked out of his bowl game? Personally I'm unimpressed with Williams. I think he's good, but not great. He's immature and lets his emotions get the better of him. He seems like he is definitely a problem and a potential locker-room cancer. With all of the controversey that this team has had I would stay away from someone like Williams. I think it's ultimately a non-issue as Williams will be gone by the time we pick. I think he'll be the first DB off the board and he'll be gone by pick 6 or so. IMO talent wise and positional need considered, I'm starting to think that Kiwi is the safest best possible pick for us. If someone really wants him and is willing to trade up a few spots to get him, I would LOVE to trade down 3-4 spots and still try to land Huff. Even if Huff gets picked we could walk away with someone like Hodge or Greenway. I'm comfortable with that.

January 17th, 2006, 12:34 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

If we take a DB in the top 15 it better be Jimmy Williams otherwise we need Winston Justice.

www.nfldraftreport.tk

www.nfldraftblitz.com

January 17th, 2006, 1:31 pm
All State

Detroit_LIons wrote:

A "smart" Sean Taylor? The same guy that got kicked out of his bowl game? Personally I'm unimpressed with Williams. I think he's good, but not great. He's immature and lets his emotions get the better of him. He seems like he is definitely a problem and a potential locker-room cancer. With all of the controversey that this team has had I would stay away from someone like Williams. I think it's ultimately a non-issue as Williams will be gone by the time we pick. I think he'll be the first DB off the board and he'll be gone by pick 6 or so. IMO talent wise and positional need considered, I'm starting to think that Kiwi is the safest best possible pick for us. If someone really wants him and is willing to trade up a few spots to get him, I would LOVE to trade down 3-4 spots and still try to land Huff. Even if Huff gets picked we could walk away with someone like Hodge or Greenway. I'm comfortable with that.

im talking about on the field , yea he has off the field problems but thats life, everyone runs into some trouble , he may be gone off the board , he may not, but i agree kiwi might be the best pick for us, if williams isnt there . if williams is the 1st db gone its by us , maybe the raiders ..

January 17th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next