View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Building towards a legit shot in 2008 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Building towards a legit shot in 2008
As I 've said before I think this team can be good over the next couple of years but in my opinion they really don't have a legit shot at being Super Bowl contenders before the 2008 season. I also still prefer a trade down in this draft to ensure the maximum production out of this insanely deep draft class. However this idea slipped into my head late last night and it could work if all the pieces fall into place. First and for most the Lions need to get a solid HC that is going to get the most out of every player on the Lions roster. Secondly they need to pick an identity for thsi offense and stick to it. The third step would be to make a decision on the QB and then get towards building the team.

After all of that and I'm not happy to say this they need to get Backus for cheap or franchise him(ughh). This way they can draft a T and allow the rookie to battle it out for the starting position at either LT or RT. If the rookie beats out Backus the Lions have a solid but not great LT as a backup. He might also be able to upgrade the LG position or vice versa if the rookie can play LG. The rest of the FA would be handled like so:

Let go- Drummond, Goodman, Pinner, Walker, Gutierrez, Davis, Garica, Johnson, Wayne, Smith, McQuarters, T. Edwards, Hopson, Fox, Rainer, DeVries (Like to hold on to him but not enough room on the D-line).

Tendered- Fitzsimmons, Redding, Holt

Tagged/Re-signed- Backus, K. Edwards, Bryson, Kosier, (If the prices aren't too crazy)

This leaves a lot of vacant spots especially if the tendered players are picked up by other teams. But will be worth it with the picks that are acquired from those tendered players. If they aren't picked up it's just as well with all three being soild players. One good thing is with all these players off the team it frees up a lot of cap space to bring in younger and hopefully hungrier players. The last step I take is trying to move Bly for at least a mid 2nd rounder. I know I'm going to hear he's the best player, blah blah blah. He's gones after 2007 and isn't coming back, so get something for him now while he's at the top of his game. Remember people this is to make them a contender in 2008 not next year because that would just be a pipe dream.

So let's say a team like Pittsburgh or Indy two teams near the bottom of the 1st round that are only really lacking a playmaking CB show interest in Bly. I could see a move that had one of them sending Detroit their 1st rounder in exchange for Bly and switching positions in the 2nd Round or simply giving up their 2nd and 4th rounders. If it's Indy they are basically only giving up about 9 spots in the draft and a late 2nd rounder for a player that could make them almost untouchable. Either way Detroit will be picking up an extra player that any other year wouldn't normally be still on the board.

I'll be conservative and go with the 2nd and 4th rounders for Bly it doesn't really matter which team with both them being only seperated by four or five spots. The Lions will also be looking at some picks for Mike and Stockar. I'm going to guess a 3rd for Mike even though he didn't play great he played quite a bit after McNabb went down. Stockar will be a 6th at best and I'll stick with that seeing that he was a former 1st rounder. So after giving away their 4th rounder last year and probably a 7th for McGraw they should lokk like this with the Bly move:

1st-1 2nd-2 3rd-2 4th-1 5th-1 6th-2 7th-0

As I said my first choice outside of this little hypothetical experiment of mine is to trade down no matter what happens but here we go with the rest of my experiment. I can't do FA's yet because we don't know who is going to be released or re-signed.

1st Round:
9. Haloti Ngata- DT Oregon

2nd Round:
41. Davin Joseph- OT/OG Oklahoma
57? Richard Marshall- CB Fresno State

3rd Round:
73. Stanley McClover- DE Auburn
99? Nick Reid- LB Kansas

4th Round:
127? Chijioke Onyenegecha- CB/FS Oklahoma

5th Round:
145? a.)Leon Washington- RB Florida State
b.)Andre Hall- RB South Florida
c.)James Wyche- DE Syracuse

6th Round:
183? Brad Smith- QB/WR/FS Missouri
200? Tyler Ecker- TE Michigan

Lions Roster before FA's are brought in:

QB: Harrington, FA, Orlovsky
RB: Jones, Bryson, Washington
FB: Sledge, Matthews
WR: Williams, Rogers, Williams, Vines, FA
TE: Pollard, Fitzsimmons, Ecker
OT: Backus, Butler, Kosier, FA
OG: Jospeh, Woody, DeMulling
C: Raiola
DE: Hall, McClover, Redding, Edwards, Cody
DT: Rogers, Ngata, Wilkinson, Bell
OLB: Lehman, Bailey, Lewis, Curry, Matt Grootegoed
MLB: Holmes, Reid
CB: Bryant, Smith, Marshall, Wilson
FS: Holt, Onyenegecha, Smith
SS: Kennedy, FA
PK: Hanson
P: Harris

51 Players counting FA positions

The novel continues to grow. So here's the explanation behind the draft. The reason for Ngata is that I think he will still be there because the Bills will have more need at OT and both S positions to go after Ngata. With the signing of Ngata the Lions now have two terrors at DT and will draw four blockers on every play. Now switch Cody to DE in Hall's spot and that is an imposing D-line that will play more on the offenses side of the line. I like Hall because he is the hardest worker on the Lions going from undrafted to a starter but Cody is an upgrade. The other starter will either be Edwards or McClover. Whichever one shows the best ability to be a disruptive force will get the nod. McClover is a 1st rounder next year but opted to come out this year and may slip to the 3rd. That D-line will force almost all running plays towards the pass rushing DE's side and make it easier for the LB 's to stop those plays before they develop.

The other defensive picks are also players that would normally go higher but because of a deep draft are there for the taking. Marshall might be the best CB that nobody has heard of and should be a starter in 2007. Onyenegecha is a CB that will be best suited to make the switch to FS and should be an upgrade over Holt and McQuarters. Nick Reid is what a LB is suppose to be and will be a great leader on defense. He played a lot of OLB in college but also played MLB on occasion. He is a converted S that has led the Jayhawks in tackles and knows how to make plays in the backfield. The last is Brad Smith who may or may not ever play QB in the NFL. A lot of people have him switching to WR but I can see him being a better FS. He could use his former QB knowledge and speed to make a lot of plays at the FS position.

On offense I would of liked to address the O-line a little more but if Backus can show he is better under a new system the LT position might be okay. Especially if Joseph comes in and shows that he can play LT in teh NFL. If not he looks like he can be a great LG for a long time. C was a positon I wanted to upgrade but there were other players that can make a bigger impact that I went after. I think RT should be Butler's for one more year and if he doesn't improve Jake Long shoyuld be coming out next year. I think Washington should be available in the 5th and offers a change of pace back that the Lions haven't had. He can also return kicks which makes Drummond not as big of a loss. If Andre Hall falls to this pick though I'd go either way. He and Washington are both good receivers but I like how Hall sees teh hole and hits it. Last but not least is Ecker a TE that can do it all and with a year or two under Pollard can develop into a better TE than Joppru was suppose to be.

January 12th, 2006, 1:37 pm
RIP Killer

sweetd20 looks to be applying for Millen's job. Even though I don't agree with everything, a well thought out post. Nice job. And I don't like the resigning of Backus but it may have to happen. They had better not tag him (he not close to being worth top 5 money). I also not a fan of trading Bly, but you make some nice arguements.

January 12th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah I'm not overly happy about Backus coming back either but unfortunately he might be the best option at this time.

January 12th, 2006, 3:17 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Lions definitely should not trade Dre Bly. That is heading in the wrong direction, despite what anyone says!!

January 12th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Lions definitely should not trade Dre Bly. That is heading in the wrong direction, despite what anyone says!!

And keeping a loud mouthed, malcontented, over rated player is?

January 12th, 2006, 7:16 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

We have more major needs than another DT. IF they lions pick Ngata i would think it to be pretty funny b/c it show how stupid Millen is.

As for trading Bly i wouldn't do b/c of the fact he may be overrated and loud by he does cover the best receivers and does a good job at it. Without him he then need 2 starting cb.

January 12th, 2006, 7:30 pm
I agree with the notion that DT is by far not the biggest need on the team. Not only do we have two relatively young up and comers in Bell and Cody, but Rogers isn't all that old (and he's under contract for a # of years 4-5 more I believe) and Big Daddy is under contract for next year too.

I would trade bly as long as we can get a starting CB for him or a first round pick - nothing less. If the someone not in our division wanted to give up an early 2nd round pick for him I would do it only if someone like Youboty was left on the board.

This team doesn't need to be totally rebuilt, but I also agree with the sentiments that we're not headed to the SB next year. Dumping a player like Bly in exchance for a player like Youboty is NOT suicide. We're 2-3 years away from doing something IMO. People can point to Chi and getting a new coach and their quick turn around... they can also point to TB, Carolina, Balt., and Jax in the same light... However, all of those teams had solid defenses in place before they made their next big jump. We do not. Our D is decent, but it is a few playmakers (veteran experienced playmakers that don't make rookie mistakes) away from being solid IMO.

January 13th, 2006, 2:01 am
Pro Bowl Player

1st Round:

We have more major needs than another DT. IF they lions pick Ngata i would think it to be pretty funny b/c it show how stupid Millen is.

:lol:

I bet he stupid enough to draft DT's three year's in a row - In the top 10

January 13th, 2006, 2:30 am
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

As for trading Bly i wouldn't do b/c of the fact he may be overrated and loud by he does cover the best receivers and does a good job at it. Without him he then need 2 starting cb.

Yeah he covered Chad Johnson great :roll: , fact is Bly covers the OK recievers and does a good job recievers, he gets burned consistantly by the best recievers and he does a pretty good job at that too. Bly is an OK corner but he is not someone who cant be replaced givin even 1-2 years to develope a young draft pick, or sign a free agent, and I agree that we wont be ready to contend for at least 2-3 more years anyway, so we might as well dump him and replace him now and get something for it, because once his contract is up do you actually think he is coming back? your insane to think that if you do, he openly talks **** about his team and his teamates and once his contract is over, he will seek another team I guarantee it. So trade him and get the replacement in the draft so your ready when he leaves.

January 13th, 2006, 4:22 am

1st Round:

I agree we have more major needs but Ngata is a dynamic player and Cody I just feel like won't be anything more than an average DT. I think that a combination on Cody, Ngata, and Rogers along with a speed guy like McClover would make this D-line so stout against teh run it would force other teams to be one dimensional passing teams. Look back at teh Ravens when they had that imposing defense and won the Super Bowl. They had Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa at DT and the two of them totally dominated teh middle allowing Ray Lewis do whatever he wanted. After Goose retired and Adams left Lewis had to fight to make plays and began to suffer injuries pretty frequently. This is also Wilkinson's last year coming up so they will be looking for a run stopper next year anyways.

Like I said at the start this isn't my first choice but it was a thought that popped into my head and the more I thought about the more it worked. Especially if the opportunity for any kind of reasonable trade down doesn't present itself. Why was this defense so inconsistant this year? Because they couldn't stop the run or get pressure on the QB. Well Ngata and Rogers will team up to consistantly stuff the middle of the line and collapse the pocket forcing plays to the Lions speedier playmakers. Cody is nice on sure passing downs as a DT but he isn't much against the run. Big Daddy is a space eater that will make a play now and then but he's at the age where he's more of a space eater. After a promising year in '04 Bell didn't look like the same player and I am questioning his work ethic.

Out of any player at #9 Ngata is just the best answer in my opinion but I still hope they trade down. If they can trade down and pick up even more picks on top of trading Bly they can maximize this draft class even more. There are other good DT's later in the draft but none of them appear to have the all around package like Ngata has. If Watson would ever stop being one of he laziest players ever to suit up he'd be a great steal in the draft but the question marks around him are too big. A couple of other guys could be Montavius Stanley from Louisville and Johnny Jolly from Texas A&M.

I just think that this team needs to add some young beef up front to force teams into being one dimensional or at least funnel all of the runs towards the LB's where they can come up and shut it down quickly. Especially when most of the O-linemen would be occupied by Rogers and Ngata or whomever along with a monster DE in Cody. I mean if you have a starting D-line of Cody, Ngata, Rogers, and any pass rusher (McClover, Tapp, Kudla, Wyche, Henderson) who you gonna stop? Any one of them can beat a one on one and in some cases even a double team. Not to mention the LB's for the most part are only going to have to worry about shedding a block from the FB and/or TE. Which also reduces the role of the TE because he will have to be dedicated more to pass protection than route running.

January 13th, 2006, 9:54 am
Div 1 - Starter

very nice. I completely agree with trading Bly, the lions can get plenty for him, he dosnt want to be here, and hes making all these public statements to the media and trash talking the team. If he really wants to win so bad he would cover better and not put his team down

I think the lions should draft a LB. this draft is really deap at that position, Holmes is gettin old. they should sign him for a short contract. I would really like to see them take Abdul Hodge from Iowa...he hits like a ton of bricks and he should be available in the second round.

I would rather see the lions take a DE in the first round but your theory of drafting Ngata could work...its not gonna happen though

January 13th, 2006, 2:01 pm
Site Admin

Hey let's trade one of our only players. So he spoke up...the team was a mess...the coaching was messed up...the GM lacks direction...Bly was sold a bill of goods when he came here and he has performed better than anyone on our team and that's with a cast on his hand :roll: The guy also has been the Lions key recruiter and outside of Sean Rogers our only notable respectable football player. He has been a key part of the only good thing about our team since being here and that is our defense.

Secondly:

Quote:
Let go- Drummond, Goodman, Pinner, Walker, Gutierrez, Davis, Garica, Johnson, Wayne, Smith, McQuarters, T. Edwards, Hopson, Fox, Rainer, DeVries (Like to hold on to him but not enough room on the D-line).

No Bly, McQuarters, Goodman...with Fernando Broken in the backfield who are our DBs???

In addition with our LB crew showing a propensity for the IR letting go of Wayne and Rainer a mistake not to mention they are solid ST players.

And IF Millen does get Grimm and they do go with a Power Back style then I think Pinner needs to stay and increases his value to the team.

January 13th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

The key is Bly is gone after 2007 his contract is up and he's gone. Not just because he wants to be but because he will be 30+ and not worth the money he wants. So is he worth holding on to for two more seasons and then getting nothing in return? Also my reason for letting him go has nothing to do with him mouthing off. It's the simple fact they have at least three season before they will be legit challengers. Yeah any team can make a turnaround and make the playoffs, but it takes more than that to become a real contender. So yeah let's hold on to him so he can get his INT's against teams like the Cardinals and then get burnt like a "Pop Tart" on the high setting of your toaster by good players at meaningful times.

I think that the problem people have with trading Bly is that they are only looking at next season and not at the big picture. Smith is a good cover CB and for some reason this staff was in love with Goodman and continued to let him play and get burnt. Smith doesn't have great hands but I'll take the fact that he denies his man the ball in exchange for a few dropped INT's. This was only a hypotheticl post but in it I had them getting Marshall a guy that might be the best cover CB in this draft. I also didn't figure in any FA signings as I said because we don't know who is going to be out there.

January 13th, 2006, 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]