View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 What to do in the draft? 

What should the Lions do in the draft?
Trade up for Young or Leinart 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Take a D-Lineman 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Take an O-Lineman 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
Take a Safety/Corner 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
Take a Linebacker 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Take Cutler 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Take Jacobs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

What to do in the draft? 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post What to do in the draft?
I see a lot of mock drafts that have the Lions taking a D-Lineman, mostly "Kiwi", in the first-round. Isn't the D-Line the one position where they have a lot of talent and depth. And don't they have a lot of more pressing needs to address, before D-Line, like O-Line, Safety, Linebacker or Quarterback.
In my opinion, unless you're getting the next Jonathon Ogden or Orlando Pace, drafting an O-Lineman in the first-round is not a very good idea. D'Brickshaw Ferguson might be that guy, but I don't see him dropping to number nine. And it would be stupid to trade up to get a lineman. Look for the Lions to take a lineman in round 2.
As for safeties, it seems like every year there are always some quality safeties in free agency. The Lions don't necessarily need a big, playmaking safety. They just need a player that is stable and doesn't make mistakes.
Drafting a middle linebacker at this spot, I think, would be the best decision the Lions could make. If they do, they are almost guaranteed a playmaking linebacker who can make tackles. And seeing how Earl Holmes is in the twilight of his career, it may be time to start grooming the Lions defensive play-caller of the future.
Now everyone knows the quarterback situation is a mess. I've heard people mention Jay Cutler or Omar Jacobs at the number nine spot. But I think if the Lions want to draft a QB in the first round, they should try trading up to get Leinart or Young. I know it would cost them an arm and a leg, but it would be worth it. If they were to take Cutler or Jacobs, they could probably trade down and get more picks. Getting a quality QB in free-agency will be a daunting task, and I just don't see it happening. I think it will just be another year of suffering through Joey.

January 18th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Afghan Allstar

I think that we should go with a cornerback. We need a young stud to play alongside Dre.

January 18th, 2006, 5:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think our defense is pretty solid we might be a player or 2 off from being stellar. However I think the offensive side of the ball needs more help so I choose that we draft a stud OL with our 1st pick. That is if we can get a stud OL when our turn comes, if not then a DT along side Rogers would work too.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 18th, 2006, 5:31 pm
Varsity Captain

It totally depends on who the coach(es) is/are and what happens in free agency. I'd rather see us take someone for the trenches, O or D. Marinelli comes in, his speciality is the D-Line so we may go after some D-Line stud. Grimm comes in his speciality is O-Line, so we may go that route. Haslett, who knows? Personally I'd like to see a good pass rusher come in, but I'm hearing the name D'Brickashaw Ferguson a lot, so if he drops to us I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Point being, no one knows......Kiper by the way is projecting that we take QB Jay Cutler with the 9th pick. :roll:

January 18th, 2006, 5:54 pm
RIP Killer

I think our D needs some huge upgrading...not just one or two players.

Our defense can look great when healthy...but they're usually not. I say we can upgrade at FS, MLB, DE, CB.

We need a solid CB - I think Smith can handle that role.
We need a very good FS - Someone fast and with excellent coverage skills.
We need a hard-hitting MLB who has average coverage skills
We need a fearsome pass rushing DE opposite of Hall. I think Kalimba could be this guy, but he's not good against the run and is 1-D.

This would be a lot to get in FA and the draft. A first round draft pick isn't necessarily a lock to be a starter...or a good one for that matter.

January 18th, 2006, 6:34 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

This would be a lot to get in FA and the draft. A first round draft pick isn't necessarily a lock to be a starter...or a good one for that matter.

Yeah that is true but with the 9th pick I hope whoever we pick can step in, start and make an improvement to his team

January 18th, 2006, 7:31 pm
RIP Killer

NONE OF THE ABOVE. TRADE DOWN, TRADE DOWN, TRADE DOWN.

Hopefully be able to move down a few spots, possibly with Baltimore orPhiladelphia. They may want to get ahead of Arizona if DeAngelo Williams falls past GB. With that trade they should be able to get an additional third rounder this year, with a later pick or another pick next year. Once the move is made, they can select whatever player fits a need. Winston Justice, Matthias Kiwanuka, Chad Greenway (if he can play inside). Or, they could trade down a second time to a team wanting to move up.

But, in answer to your question courage, the Lions could desperately use additional speed on the edge. James Hall, Jared Devries and Cory Redding are power rusher that don't rely on speed. They usually take a little longer to get to the quarterback. None of them are very athletic, just strong. Kalimba Edwards is the lone speed rusher, and he lacks the necessary arsenal of pass rush moves to be a top flight end. Both Kalimba and Jared will be UFAs, and Cory Redding will be restricted. That leaves us with Hall and Swancutt, who was inactive most of the year. Getting a player like Kiwanuka would be a boost for the line, make no mistake about it.

January 18th, 2006, 11:36 pm
NONE OF THE ABOVE. TRADE DOWN, TRADE DOWN, TRADE DOWN.

Hopefully be able to move down a few spots, possibly with Baltimore orPhiladelphia. They may want to get ahead of Arizona if DeAngelo Williams falls past GB. With that trade they should be able to get an additional third rounder this year, with a later pick or another pick next year. Once the move is made, they can select whatever player fits a need. Winston Justice, Matthias Kiwanuka, Chad Greenway (if he can play inside). Or, they could trade down a second time to a team wanting to move up.

But, in answer to your question courage, the Lions could desperately use additional speed on the edge. James Hall, Jared Devries and Cory Redding are power rusher that don't rely on speed. They usually take a little longer to get to the quarterback. None of them are very athletic, just strong. Kalimba Edwards is the lone speed rusher, and he lacks the necessary arsenal of pass rush moves to be a top flight end. Both Kalimba and Jared will be UFAs, and Cory Redding will be restricted. That leaves us with Hall and Swancutt, who was inactive most of the year. Getting a player like Kiwanuka would be a boost for the line, make no mistake about it.

M2... I would like to make a list of players that we want out of the first round... I'm not entirely sure what they're targets are but my list would look something like Mario Willaims, Kiwi, Ferguson, Huff, Jimmy Williams, Abdul Hodge, and Youboty.... I would trade down as many spots as I could and still guarantee landing one of my top players. But I would consider foregoing the opportunitty to land one of my top players and moving all the way down to the end of the round if I could get two good picks out of it (late first/early 2nd).

I know I could craft a list of players that will likely be available in those slots that I would rather have than one top notch player. Between the OG, FS, MLB, CB, and OT I'm sure there will be at least three (we will still have our 2nd) quality players to be had. Elsinger/Mangold/Davin Joseph/Winston Justice/Mark Setterstorm/and Eric Winston are reason enough to take my 2nd option.

If we're stuck picking at 9 Kiwi is my favorite candidate based upon availablity, team need, potential team contribution, and the ability to fill the position with a later round pick. We are more likely to get a viable MLB, FS, or OT in round two... The OT spot isn't typical of being better off in the 2nd round, but with the talent of this year being deep, and only one clear cut top pick, I would prefer to wait until the 2nd to grab a OT.

January 19th, 2006, 12:31 am
QB Coach

I'm definitely advocating the trade down option. This draft is just so filled with talent, that a pick in the 30s is still landing as quality of a player as a pick at #9. When you can talk about landing a guy like Kiwanuka in the 20s, or someone like Jimmy Williams in the teens, a trade down would be great.

January 19th, 2006, 12:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Brian - got a top 10 or 20 yet? More or less, the guys who you think will slip and the guys who will rise.

January 19th, 2006, 12:50 am
QB Coach

Brian - got a top 10 or 20 yet? More or less, the guys who you think will slip and the guys who will rise.

I've made a preliminary top 100 - going to get into draft stuff when the coaching and FA cools down.

January 19th, 2006, 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I voted for OL but since Marinelli has been named HC, a DB may be more appropriate. Bly can definitely run a cover 2 and should excell at it, but who will play the other side and who will play deep? A FS or a CB should be near the top of the wish list now. Bryant might be able to play cover 2, but Holt definitely can not.

January 19th, 2006, 2:16 am
RIP Killer

I voted for OL but since Marinelli has been named HC, a DB may be more appropriate. Bly can definitely run a cover 2 and should excell at it, but who will play the other side and who will play deep? A FS or a CB should be near the top of the wish list now. Bryant might be able to play cover 2, but Holt definitely can not.

If Marinelli brings in the Cover 2, we may have a problem based on lack of personnel in the secondary conducive to running it. Typically Cover 2 cornerbacks are more physical players with solid open field tackling skills. Bryant and Bly don't really fit that mold. Bly can probably do OK in it, but Bryant definitely does not. Kieth Smith, however, probably would be an excellent candidate. He has the size and speed to do very well, he just needs to be coached on the intricacies. Our outside linebackers (Bailey, Lehman) have the speed to get into their zones. We would need a middle linebacker who can get deep. Holt is definitely not a good Cover 2 safety, but neither is Kenoy Kennedy. Holt is actually a better prospect than Kennedy for that system because Holt is faster than KK. Michael Huff, Ko Simpson or Darnell Bing would all be good fits. I don't think Ashton Youboty would be a good Cover 2 corner (too skinny, not physical), but Jimmy Williams would be excellent.

January 19th, 2006, 7:21 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Trade down b/c teams will be looking to make moves with this. However if someone falls like D'Brickshaw Ferguson Hawk, or Mario i believe we have to take them. With Marinelli as our coach I wouldn't be shcok if he went DE to get the pass rusher this Def needs. Remember he is a Dline coah. As for cover 2 I think KK will be okay in the cover 2 b/c Lynch was great in the cover 2 with no speed. KK will be able to still be the 8 man in the box and still proved decent coverage. If I remember back someone post that the KK did a great job covering the Te in some formula that ESPN made.

January 19th, 2006, 1:22 pm
RIP Killer

Much will depend on what players fall to the Lions. But the problem is, who do the Lions pass on in order to accept a trade? If Kiwi or Mario Williams is available, should the Lions really take him or should they take advantage of other teams desires to trade up ala KW2 and the Browns? It's a tough call to make. The thing is, the Lions have numerous holes to fill. Some will hopefully be taken care of in free agency, but certainly not all. At that point the Lions have to make determinations as to how deep they can go in the draft and still get a starting quality player. Will it be up to pick #40? #50? #100? If we can somehow get numerous picks above that magic number, the Lions have to consider it.

The bigger issue is that the Lions MUST build chemistry on this team. THAT is what has been lacking. Millen and Marinelli have to select players that are not only talented, but fit the puzzle of this team. Up until now Matt has simply been selecting talent, rather than using the Patriots blueprint for success and picking players who fit their team that are talented.

January 19th, 2006, 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]