View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:22 am



Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How Does Marinelli change the draft for the Lions? 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post How Does Marinelli change the draft for the Lions?
In his presser it was evident very quickly that Marinelli isn't a fan of skill positions. He seemed adimate that he wants to work on the Lines. Do you think that means the Lions will look closer at Linemen in the draft, or Does Marinelli go Mariucci style and try to bring Tampa Bay to Detroit?

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


January 19th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: How Does Marinelli change the draft for the Lions?
Ferris wrote:
In his presser it was evident very quickly that Marinelli isn't a fan of skill positions. He seemed adimate that he wants to work on the Lines. Do you think that means the Lions will look closer at Linemen in the draft, or Does Marinelli go Mariucci style and try to bring Tampa Bay to Detroit?


I don't really think bringing TB to Detroit is an option... unless we want to pickup disgarded offensive rubbish... He may bring in some FA's that he knows from the sqaud, but I have no problem with that... There's nothing wrong with trying to have some familarity with your schemes, but Mooch was ridiculous with it... He may try to draft players that mimick the TB D, but can you blame him??? I wouldn't mind that at all... I think having Marinelli may put a stronger emphasis on defensive players, but IMO that is a good thing. We need a couple more pieces on the OL, but if our offense can't succeed with all the talent it has, we need to make some major changes.


January 19th, 2006, 2:52 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
Well Im pretty sure with him we are getting a lineman...it would be sweet to somehow get Mario or Fergason

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


January 19th, 2006, 4:55 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: How Does Marinelli change the draft for the Lions?
Ferris wrote:
In his presser it was evident very quickly that Marinelli isn't a fan of skill positions. He seemed adimate that he wants to work on the Lines. Do you think that means the Lions will look closer at Linemen in the draft, or Does Marinelli go Mariucci style and try to bring Tampa Bay to Detroit?



ferris,

I think this is a great question.

From his presser it's obvious that he believes in building the team from the lines out. Which is great. The only thing becomes which line he'll focus on first.

It probably depends on what he thinks of our existing D-line. If he feels that he could really make the guys we have excel; and if he likes Kalimba Edwards enough to want to keep him - I'd say he'll look at O-line in the draft. However if he has any reservations about those guys he'll naturally want to focus on the Defensive line.

That's just my guess - but it's still to early to really know.

_________________
Image


January 19th, 2006, 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
My question is...before the draft, does Marinelli decide if he wants to keep FAs by just watching game film? There's an all new staff (assumption) and only Millen who has seen these guys play in depth. So who really knows about whether these guys should stay or go besides watching them on film? Nobody has seen them in practice, outside of Millen. This question doesn't just apply to the Lions, but to the other 9 teams getting new HCs as well. I just assumed they watched film to see how they play, but is there anything else? Can they hold individual practices, like minicamps for each position before FA or the draft (not like an official thing, but and informal like workout type session)???

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


January 19th, 2006, 6:06 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2311
Post 
I'm not positive but I'm betting they have film of the practices as well that he is going to be able to look at. Plus I'm sure that he and others are going to sit down with not just the FA's but the guys still under contract and feel them out as far as work ethic and determination.


January 19th, 2006, 6:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Much useful information can be gotten from game films. How do you think draft picks are judged? The combines and pro days only supply the coaches and GMs with part of the information. Game film will allow the coach to see the player perform when it counts, and how he performs. Marinelli mentioned linemen staying low. That's a big problem for the Lions, especially on defense. Shaun Cody, James Hall and Kalimba Edwards all stand to tall on their first steps. They need to stay low to maintain the point of attack and to prevent the offensive linemen from getting under their shoulders and controlling them. Watch Dwight Freeney, he's great at it. His first three steps are in a crouch.

I am hoping Marinelli builds this team from the lines out, because that is where this team needs the most work. But the biggest thing is for him to develop continuity and chemistry. I like the fact that he had 'problem' players in Tampa Bay and kept them focused. Simeon Rice wasn't a very good player till he arrived in TB. Anthony McFarland and Warren Sapp were both punks, but they stayed focus and played hard in games. And I think that Marinelli not only preaches discipline, but he instills it in his players. I just hope Rod and Matt can bring in some good coordinators, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 19th, 2006, 7:38 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2311
Post 
Freeney is the only reason I used to go to Syracuse games but he's a ba example becaue he's only like 6'1". He is always lower than the O-lineman and has the leverage advantage. But don't be surprised if another shorter DE ends up in Detroit now. Tapp is another guy that gets great leverage because of his size and is maybe the best DE college or NFL that I've seen when using his hands. Which means he's a guy that practices hard and focuses on fundamentals. Sounds kind of like something somebody said today in a press conference.


January 19th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post 
Quote:
Well Im pretty sure with him we are getting a lineman...it would be sweet to somehow get Mario or Fergason


I agree with D'brick, but I would rather take Kiwi then Mario, I know everyone loves Mario cause he has the speed and size, but Kiwi has good enough size and speed himself and has been a better pass rusher then Mario consistantly. Could you imagine the pass rusher Miranelli could turn him into? Mario has the size and speed but his pass rushing numbers are nowhere near as impressive as Kiwi's.


January 20th, 2006, 1:05 am
Profile
Post 
Rob_Shadows wrote:
Quote:
Well Im pretty sure with him we are getting a lineman...it would be sweet to somehow get Mario or Fergason


I agree with D'brick, but I would rather take Kiwi then Mario, I know everyone loves Mario cause he has the speed and size, but Kiwi has good enough size and speed himself and has been a better pass rusher then Mario consistantly. Could you imagine the pass rusher Miranelli could turn him into? Mario has the size and speed but his pass rushing numbers are nowhere near as impressive as Kiwi's.


I don't know that I would rather have Kiwi because of Mario, but IMO Kiwi is a less risky pick... if he's there at 9 I would love to land him. I like Huff, but I think Kiwi is a better value due to position and potential contribution. I also think that Kiwi is one of those players taken 2nd at his position that will yearn to make the team that passed on him for another DE jealous and regrettful.... I really think both players have the potential to be all-star caliber DE's and I would love to land either one. However, Kiwi is much more likely, and a great pick IMO.


January 20th, 2006, 4:03 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2311
Post 
I'm not big on Mathias at #9 just because there are going to be guys that in other years that could of been mid-late 1st slipping all the way to the 3rd round this year. Mario is a non-factor in my opinion because he will be gone before the #9 pick. With Ferguson I'm not big on him because for as quick and agile as he is, he lacks NFL strength and I don't see him getting much bigger. He's already added about 30 pounds and unless he adds fat (not a good thing) I think he's maxed out, plus he will also be gone by #9. If he is still on the board Jimmy Williams will probably be the guy but I'd rather not get him at #9 either (lots of FS's at the end of the 1st and in the 2nd).

If Ngata is there at #9 I think he holds the most value for that pick, but I'd rather trade down. If they can get into the 20's they can look at OT there, Ko Simpson, Max Jean-Gilles, or even a Leonard Pope. Max would have to impress in interviews and show he's ready to work hard (the one knock against him) if he did the Lions would have a near exact clone of Woody at LG. I think as far as Pope and Simpson go those two positions can be answered in the 2nd or later. If Mathias and/or Ngata are still on the board the Lions might be able to fetch some interest from Denver, Cincinatti, or Carolina.


January 20th, 2006, 9:03 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
My question is...before the draft, does Marinelli decide if he wants to keep FAs by just watching game film? There's an all new staff (assumption) and only Millen who has seen these guys play in depth. So who really knows about whether these guys should stay or go besides watching them on film? Nobody has seen them in practice, outside of Millen. This question doesn't just apply to the Lions, but to the other 9 teams getting new HCs as well. I just assumed they watched film to see how they play, but is there anything else? Can they hold individual practices, like minicamps for each position before FA or the draft (not like an official thing, but and informal like workout type session)???


I believe that all teams with new head coaches will get to have 1 extra mini-camp where they can evaluate their teams proior to the draft.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 20th, 2006, 9:54 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
sweetd20 wrote:
I'm not big on Mathias at #9 just because there are going to be guys that in other years that could of been mid-late 1st slipping all the way to the 3rd round this year. Mario is a non-factor in my opinion because he will be gone before the #9 pick. With Ferguson I'm not big on him because for as quick and agile as he is, he lacks NFL strength and I don't see him getting much bigger. He's already added about 30 pounds and unless he adds fat (not a good thing) I think he's maxed out, plus he will also be gone by #9. If he is still on the board Jimmy Williams will probably be the guy but I'd rather not get him at #9 either (lots of FS's at the end of the 1st and in the 2nd).


Ferguson has the frame to get even bigger. And it doesn't have to be from fat either. He has excellent technical skills and is far advanced in that area moreso than most tackles coming out of college. With an NFL weight training and dietary program, I can see Ferguson getting to about 310 to 320 by the season starting.
Kiwi would be a good deal at number nine, but I don't see DE as an outstanding need. I would rather trade down and get extra picks. I do want a speed rusher for this team, but Tapp, Lawson and Dumervil could fit that bill. Kiwi has gotten by on his size more than his talents. He was pretty well neutralized by Darryn Colledge when BC played Boise. But with a D line coach as his head coach, Kiwi could become something special.

sweetd20 wrote:
If Ngata is there at #9 I think he holds the most value for that pick, but I'd rather trade down. If they can get into the 20's they can look at OT there, Ko Simpson, Max Jean-Gilles, or even a Leonard Pope. Max would have to impress in interviews and show he's ready to work hard (the one knock against him) if he did the Lions would have a near exact clone of Woody at LG. I think as far as Pope and Simpson go those two positions can be answered in the 2nd or later. If Mathias and/or Ngata are still on the board the Lions might be able to fetch some interest from Denver, Cincinatti, or Carolina.


None of the teams you mention will trade up into the #9 spot in a draft this deep. The only team that could of them is Denver, and it would take more than just their first two draft picks. That's a steep price to pay. Also, Ngata will likely be taken by Buffalo one pick ahead of us.
I don't like Max Jean Gilles for the Lions. We don't need a clone of Damien Woody, because frankly Woody hasn't been all that great since he's arrived here. I would prefer a more athletic guard like Davin Joseph. Better yet, I really like Ryan Cook out of New Mexico. 6'7", 325 lbs and he was their center. He should be available in round three for us.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


January 20th, 2006, 8:09 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
Excellent question Ferris, but to answer it we need to first answer #1: Will Millen give Rod M. the decisive say in the draft and FA, or will Millen meddle in the personel decisions more. and #2: Will Rod M. run a Tampa style cover 2.

I would say if Rod M. runs a cover 2 and is given the power to get his personel, then it will greatly effect the way the Lions draft. In this case at #9 if a great DE is available i think the Lions must take him, the cover 2 requires a defense to get consistant pressure with only a 4 man rush.

Another situation that could happen is he takes either Jimmy Williams or Huff to fill that cover 2 FS position, and a cover 2 FS must have very good range and coverage skills so either one would be a natural choice.

But as always if a great falls to #9 you have to consider him, if D'Brickashaw Ferguson is available at #9 it would be hard to pass up, he is a elite pass protector and has physical tools, the only down side is a lack of top end run blocking power and aggressiveness.


January 20th, 2006, 10:23 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post 
HunterMSU wrote:
Excellent question Ferris, but to answer it we need to first answer #1: Will Millen give Rod M. the decisive say in the draft and FA, or will Millen meddle in the personel decisions more. and #2: Will Rod M. run a Tampa style cover 2.

I would say if Rod M. runs a cover 2 and is given the power to get his personel, then it will greatly effect the way the Lions draft. In this case at #9 if a great DE is available i think the Lions must take him, the cover 2 requires a defense to get consistant pressure with only a 4 man rush.

Another situation that could happen is he takes either Jimmy Williams or Huff to fill that cover 2 FS position, and a cover 2 FS must have very good range and coverage skills so either one would be a natural choice.

.


Somebody else brought up the Tbay cover 2.. I think that was a kiffin thing, but Marinelli probably will buy into it considering the Bucs were the number 1 ranked defense in the league. The question is if the Lions have the personell to run it. If they don't that will be addressed in F/A I believe. The draft has good depth in the Oline - They need that the most. I am hoping they upgrade TE and RT this year. Resign Backus, and run more in the 2TE plus a FB formation that Tbay had so much success with this season (with a rookie, imagine what KJ could do_). If R.Marinelli knows football like he claims to those will be the area s he addresses

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


January 21st, 2006, 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.