View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 5:53 am



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lindale White for 9th pick? 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
Brian wrote:
The only way i'm keeping #9 is if Hawk, Ferguson, or M. Williams mysteriously falls to the pick, which isn't happening.


I would stake money that one of them IS there...this is the NFL draft...there is always some dopey team that picks some guy who stock has risen cause of his shuttle times or he can throw it through the uprights from his knees or something stupid like that or some lame NFC team misses their pick because they go over their time limit. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS! Guys always drop that are unexpected...always.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


January 21st, 2006, 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
phunnypharm wrote:
Quote:
I want to see a trade down. This draft is ridiculously deep this year. The only way i'm keeping #9 is if Hawk, Ferguson, or M. Williams mysteriously falls to the pick, which isn't happening. You have 6 #1 overall picks in this draft.



That is what I've been saying since the start.


After those 3 players are gone.........there isn't any 1 player that would be MORE VALUABLE to THIS team than having an extra 3rd round pick.


Yeah but we say the same thing every year, and every year we dont do it, (except for 04 but we also traded up).

But yes in the event that Mario Williams or Ferguson are gone then by all means trade down and take a player like Winston Justice, Ko Simpson, or Kiwi in the mid-late 1st, then take that extra 3rd and grab some depth on OL.


January 21st, 2006, 3:47 pm
Profile
Head Cheerleader
User avatar

Joined: January 21st, 2006, 9:06 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Windsor Canada
Post 
Yeah but unfortunately, it is usually the Lions that make the stretch and pick the "hot name" player.


January 22nd, 2006, 11:17 am
Profile
Post 
Mike Baz wrote:
Yeah but unfortunately, it is usually the Lions that make the stretch and pick the "hot name" player.


Which "hot name" player are you referring to? I can see us drafting a big name like Hawk, Ferguson, Kiwi, Huff or Willaims... but L. White IMO is not a "hot name" if that's who you meant.


January 22nd, 2006, 4:04 pm
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Mike Baz wrote:
Yeah but unfortunately, it is usually the Lions that make the stretch and pick the "hot name" player.


Which "hot name" player are you referring to? I can see us drafting a big name like Hawk, Ferguson, Kiwi, Huff or Willaims... but L. White IMO is not a "hot name" if that's who you meant.


I think he was talking about picks like Harrington, Charles Rogers, and Mike Williams in previous drafts.

I think come combine time L. White could become one of the hot names, but considering Millen nature i doubt he would pick White simply because it would look like he was giving up on Kevin Jones.

I am less worried then last year because first we have Marinelli at HC who should discourage Millen from picking flashy players, and also that there is not that flashy guy that will likely be available to catch Millen eye.


January 22nd, 2006, 4:10 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 10:34 am
Posts: 1427
Post 
Quote:
I would stake money that one of them IS there...this is the NFL draft...there is always some dopey team that picks some guy who stock has risen cause of his shuttle times or he can throw it through the uprights from his knees or something stupid like that or some lame NFC team misses their pick because they go over their time limit. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS! Guys always drop that are unexpected...always.


In 2004.......there were several "can't miss athletes" in Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Eli, Robert Gallery, Sean Taylor, and Kellen Winslow.

They didn't slide.

The only surprise was that Rivers went #4 instead of Big Ben.......but everyone DID expect San Diego and New York to take QBs........and the other 5 picks of the top 7 players went as high as expected.


I think this year is comparable right now.

There are 6 "blue chippers".........and LenDale White may join them.


The only way I can see a "blue chipper" slide to us is IF Jay Cutler can make enough noise.......because QBs are the most likely to "surge" after the season.

AND a player like Winston Justice or Ngata would have to get picked also.


1..... Houston ..............Bush or Young (passing on Bush creates trade???)
2..... New Orleans .........Young or Leinart
3..... Tennessee ............Leinart or Young (if Bush is left, BIG????), Cutler?
4..... New York Jets ..........White, "Super Mario", D'Brick, Cutler?
5..... Green Bay ...............Mario, Hawk
6T... Oakland .................Mario, Hawk, Cutler?
7T... San Francisco ...........Hawk, Mario ,D'Brick, Ngata, TRADE? S.F. needs so much it is hard to say who they take IF they don't trade.
8..... Buffalo ....................Mario, Ngata, D'Brick, Justice?
9..... Detroit


Mario could go to any team picking #4-#9......so I can't see him sliding.
Ferguson could be picked by Jets, Oakland, San Fran, or even Buffalo.
Hawk could taken by Packers, Oakland, or S.F.


I would have to believe that Hawk is the most likely of any to fall to #9.


........................................................................................................


January 22nd, 2006, 4:36 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
phunnypharm - you were right on the money with your last post.

Although i'd consider adding Haloti Ngata to your list, making 7 blue chippers. He does have his problems, but a Shaun Rogers type DT is what every team craves for.

However, I don't think Hawk has the best chance of sliding, there are teams that really want that guy. I think the man who has the best chance, is Ferguson, if a guy like LenDale White rises and New York or Green Bay decide to take him. San Francisco isn't taking a OT, Buffalo would rather have other players than him, Oakland may not want him, he could concievably slip, but only if White rises, which I don't see happening. Just a thought.


January 22nd, 2006, 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 10:34 am
Posts: 1427
Post 
Quote:
I think the man who has the best chance, is Ferguson, if a guy like LenDale White rises and New York or Green Bay decide to take him. San Francisco isn't taking a OT, Buffalo would rather have other players than him, Oakland may not want him, he could concievably slip


I can see your point.


I was actually writing that post thinking the same thing.......because after the Jets pick..........there may not be a team with OLT as their biggest NEED.

Green Bay..................Chad Clifton just re-signed last year.
Oakland.....................Gallery getting huge money, also have Barry Sims
San Fran....................Jonas Jennings just signed. They could move him to ORT...but they habe so many bigger needs.

Buffalo.....................Mike Gandy isn't great, but just signed last year. They really need a D-linemen!



After the Jets...........I'd say the Bills are the MOST likely to want Ferguson.


January 23rd, 2006, 11:47 am
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2299
Post 
Buffalo has so many needs that aren't obvious that locking in a DT for them is crazy. They need a LT badly as obvious by the decline in their offense this year. They are also in need of a RT unless Williams finally lives up to what he was suppose to be. The only way that's happening though is if he takes a paycut because he's scheduled to make about $10 million this year with all of his bonuses.

There's also going to either be some re-working or some letting go of guys if they don't take paycuts. Look for Moulds to be gone because he isn't going to take another paycut especially with him not liking the QB situation. All three starting LB's are going to be making a lot of money and none of them are getting any younger. The one with the highest pay is Spikes and he's coming of a serious injury (achilles) that may be even more career threatening than an ACL tear. Also Posey is making crazy money for the pitiful stats he puts up. Lastly Vincent is about two years past playing in this league so if Jimmy Williams is there it might be tough for the Bills to pass on him as well.

When it comes down to it the Bills hold the future of the Lions' draft resides in Buffalo's hands. They are going to be looking at in no particular order; Ferguson, the Winston's (Eric and Justice), McNeil, Hawk, Williams, Huff, Greenway, and Ngata. With as much as they have to worry about don't be surprised to see them looking to bail out of that #8 spot.


January 23rd, 2006, 12:25 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
I can't see many teams who will be willing to trade up the the #8 spot. That's a lot of money considering how deep this draft is and the fact there might be one or two (max) blue chippers left...I don't know if someone would be willing to give up a guy who could easily perform like Lofa Tatupu or Odell Thurman did this year (second round guys). I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are very few teams who would be willing to give up high picks (2nd rounders) in order to move up a half a dozen slots. Most teams that have enough firepower to move up (Denver specifically), probably won't.

That being said, I think the Bills will try to get offers, but won't get any "good" ones...and they'll take Ngata.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


January 23rd, 2006, 3:38 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: February 13th, 2005, 3:33 pm
Posts: 674
Location: Onaway, MI
Post 
If D'Brick is the one that falls to us I will be 1 happy Lion fan :D

_________________
Build from the lines out, to win a championship.
The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30


January 23rd, 2006, 4:02 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.