View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Brian your mock needs work 
Water Boy

Post Brian your mock needs work
Brian,
I have anticipated your draft for some time and I cannot believe Eric Winston and Jonathon Scott have slipped out of your first round. Left tackles hold their value and I will bet the top five are gone in the first round. Texans would dream about this draft for the next fifteen years.
001) Reggie Bush - future Hall of Famer
033) Eric Winston -2nd best tackle in the draft
As far as the Lions draft:
I like to identify five players valued within five picks either way of our draft position and then rank the players. Having done that I take the best player at a position of need. So at 009 I pick Mario, Hawk, Winston, Justice and Mathias. At 041 I pick Bobby Carpenter, Darnell Bing, C. Gordon, D. Joseph and Ray Edwards. This is all of course dynamic as needs are addressed in free agency. At the present time the Lions are in need of the following LT(anticipated loss of Jeff Backus to FA), Defensive end(Kalimba has had four years and limited production)QB(If Joey stays, almost a necessity, we still need a #2), LG(Kosier and Demulling did not fill the bill)OLB (injuries aside the Lions have quantity but not enough quality)MLB(Holmes played well but is limited by age)CB(Bryant is through and Bly wants out).This does not include areas where I believe we need upgrades except for OLB. We could use a new center, a FB to replace Cory Schlesinger, a quality tight end and another safety. Kelly Butler is another one that needs to significantly raise his level of play. Then ranking my perception of needs and where value exists in the draft and where we currently draft, I select players we need in my mocks/

January 24th, 2006, 9:15 am
Pro Bowl Player

I have to think we have all been anticipating Brians Mock, and at this time I'd have to think he knows what he's talking about. But this will obviously change over the next 90 days.

A question that came to my mind while I was going over Brians mock was .....

If Brett Favre, Payton Manning, and the Next Michael Vick (only bigger) were all coming out of the draft the same year --- Which one do you want on your team?

There has been years were 7 Tackles have been taken in the first round, but this draft is so loaded with talent, teams get first rounders well into the second round. So why would any team would to trade up in the first round. There is 20 people I'd love to see the Lions end up with, any one that trades up this year (aside for the blue chips) is nuts.

January 24th, 2006, 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

With all of Clevelands issues do they really go running back when they have Droughns? Aside from that I like his mock...like Ferris said, it will change over and over and over. And as they say, you cannot judge a man by his first mock draft of the year.

January 24th, 2006, 11:04 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't even have Winston and Scott rated in my top 2 rounds. I think they are some of the most overrated prospects in the draft. Actually, check that. Winston is rated 61st on my current board and Scott 74th.

I watch the players play. I don't go on other websites and check to see where the guys are going. I'd rather talk to people who actually know something about prospects, NFL scouts. I have my sources, and you would be surprised to see where they have the offensive tackles.

Winston didn't even look like the best OT on his team this year, he has lost a ton of his athleticism, which is what made him intriguing in the first place. He's as overrated as they come. Scott is nothing more than a clueless blocker with potential. He whifs on blocks, especially in the running game, and has a lot of work to do in pass protection going up against quicker DEs.

I don't see Carpenter there at #41. Nor do I see Gordon or Edwards worth those picks. I actually have a top 100 board about to be published, you will see where these people are ranked.

Williams is a very talented player, and if a player like that were to fall to Cleveland's pick, I think they have to consider him, as they need help offensively first and foremost. He is a great value pick. I really thought about Chad Greenway here, but went with Williams over value. Antonio Bryant is a FA, but they really want him back, Santonio Holmes was almost there too.

I wanted this pick to draw up some conversation, but this is a team that is building a strong offense (Frye, Winslow, Edwards), and could complete it with a Williams type back. Reuben has 2 more years, then he hits that magical 30 number. His contract is also up after the 2006-07 season. Sounds almost like a stop gap, but they want to extend his contract.

January 24th, 2006, 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sincerely,

No One

January 24th, 2006, 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Water Boy

Post There are many picks with which I disagree
For the sake of argument at this point I will take the Lion's pick. I do not like Justice at this point and would rather select Eric Winston if we choose a LT.
At DE there are two choices if Mario doesn't fall to nine and they are Hali and Kiwi.
We would also do well to take Vernon Davis at TE. It will not happen but he will be a super TE.
Finally, OLB, Greenway is an option. He has fallen off somewhat and that was due to the players playing in front of him. I really believe he is as good as Hawk.

A few more salient points.
-Huff should go before Jimmy Williams and if Cromartie can compete well at the combines he may beat Jimmy off the board, too.
-DeAngelo Williams will be a top ten pick. If Green Bay does take LenDale White DeAngelo will go to Arizona.
-Jay Cutler could move into the top fifteen.
-Gabe Watson will move up the board into the first round
-Three TE may go in the 1st (Pope, Davis and Lewis)
-Lb'ers are at a premium, best LB'er draft ever.
-Deep LT draft as many as five will go in the first

January 24th, 2006, 2:09 pm
Water Boy

Post I value your input and will enter my mock for review.
Most of what I have read about Justice says he needs discipline and desire. A huge contract is the last thing he needs. My sources include TSN, Brian Dietz(Lionbacker), NFL Countdown, the Huddle Report and Rich Gosselyn. I have done well but do not have any inside information. I read the BLESTO reports and I watch the specific players on Saturdays as I can. I have been following college recruiting since I was recruited in the seventies and I follow those guys through their college careers into the pros. This is a twelve month thing for me. I start the day after the draft.

January 24th, 2006, 2:24 pm
Site Admin

Sounds like your passionate about it...you should create a mock and submit one to Pablo for a guest piece...

January 24th, 2006, 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

You put that the 49ers play SD and Kc twice each that isn't true. Those two teams are in the AFC west and the 49ers are in the NFC west.

January 24th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Sounds like your passionate about it...you should create a mock and submit one to Pablo for a guest piece...

And don't forget the $500 application fee!

Alpha, shame on you for always forgetting that.

Brian,

I thought it was a great mock draft. But help me with this...

Do you see Winston Justice in his first year as a better player than Jeff Backus will be this season? AND, is he better coming out than Backus was when he came out?

I ask the question this way because Backus has been better than he was last year and I'm trying to evaluate how Justice would compare to a better Backus than what we've just seen with Morris as O-line coach in Mooch's system. If Justice isn't a hands down better player - then why not resign Backus and use this pick elsewhere.

I'm not challenging the pick - I'm just trying to understand the rationale better.

My frustration is that I hate spending 1st round picks on O-linemen because they take so long to develop into full their full potential and by the time they do they're first contract is up. I'm more inclined to go get a sure thing in free agency even if it costs more unless the rookie is a 'can't miss'.

January 24th, 2006, 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I like Justice better as a player and a prospect than Backus. He neutralizes one side of the field. Backus gets beat by anyone he faces.

Rationale is basically that I don't believe Backus will be back, I don't think he wants to come back here and I don't think he will be offered enough money here to match competing offers from other teams.

I think Justice is one of those players who is ready now. You can play rookie linemen in the NFL. Logan Mankins was great for the Pats this year, as was Jammal Brown. Jordan Gross and Robert Gallery both played in their first seasons.

January 24th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

DeAngelo Williams will be a top ten pick

After the Senior Bowl measurements were released......I'm not so sure about this.

He is 5'8" and 207 pounds.

That isn't going to impress any team looking for a "power" runner......so many teams may not want him in the 1st round. Arizona (Denny Green) is the ONLY team I can see taking him of the top 10.

And I do realize that Barry Sanders was about identical in terms of size (and Tiki Barber too)............but he certainly isn't Barry........and there aren't many Tiki's running around either.

January 24th, 2006, 10:20 pm
Quote:
DeAngelo Williams will be a top ten pick

After the Senior Bowl measurements were released......I'm not so sure about this.

He is 5'8" and 207 pounds.

That isn't going to impress any team looking for a "power" runner......so many teams may not want him in the 1st round. Arizona (Denny Green) is the ONLY team I can see taking him of the top 10.

And I do realize that Barry Sanders was about identical in terms of size (and Tiki Barber too)............but he certainly isn't Barry........and there aren't many Tiki's running around either.

Williams reminds me a lot of Foster...

January 24th, 2006, 10:24 pm
Varsity Captain

I like Justice better as a player and a prospect than Backus. He neutralizes one side of the field. Backus gets beat by anyone he faces.

Rationale is basically that I don't believe Backus will be back, I don't think he wants to come back here and I don't think he will be offered enough money here to match competing offers from other teams.

I think Justice is one of those players who is ready now. You can play rookie linemen in the NFL. Logan Mankins was great for the Pats this year, as was Jammal Brown. Jordan Gross and Robert Gallery both played in their first seasons.

I agree with Brian, as far as pure ability and on the field performance Justice is the best OT in the draft (DBrickashaw is close though), the guy has good pass protection, and is a dominant run blocker.

The only question for me is his character, with all his legal trouble i think it could be a problem, but really with Marinelli as head coach i think if he is willing to take on the task Rod could help make his character a non-issue.

January 24th, 2006, 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]