View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do you think Jets or Raiders will take Cutler before us? 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Do you think Jets or Raiders will take Cutler before us?
:( ??

January 26th, 2006, 1:49 pm
RIP Killer

Raiders wouldn't surprise me. Jets would be highly doubtful IMO. They're probably looking at taking Ferguson IMO (they need to upgrade their OL) or even a RB like White or Williams.

As well, I HOPE that some team takes Cutler before we pick...that just means a stud like Mario Williams, Jimmy Williams, Ferguson, or Hawk will fall to us. That works for me.

January 26th, 2006, 1:51 pm
Post Re: Do you think Jets or Raiders will take Cutler before us?
espnbaby wrote:
:( ??

No... , but it's possible... Last year Aaron Rodgers was projected to go #1, or at least be the first Qb off the board... He was then later leapfrogged by Alex Smith... some people speculate that it was for contractual and cost reasons... hard to tell though...

I suppose Cutler could have a similar fate after a good showing at the combine... but I really don't see it. However, "draft hype" does seem to do wonders for a players draft position...

January 26th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Site Admin

Yeah I have read quite a few places that Cutler will not leave the top 10 which is good for us. If him and Lindell have good showings we could have some quality sliders fall in our laps.

January 26th, 2006, 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Raiders wouldn't surprise me. Jets would be highly doubtful IMO. They're probably looking at taking Ferguson IMO (they need to upgrade their OL) or even a RB like White or Williams.

As well, I HOPE that some team takes Cutler before we pick...that just means a stud like Mario Williams, Jimmy Williams, Ferguson, or Hawk will fall to us. That works for me.

I highly believe that Jimmy Williams will no matter what be there at 9. Last time i heard Huff has leaped him to be the top Db off the board and both are said to go in the middle of the round

January 26th, 2006, 7:41 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Do you think Jets or Raiders will take Cutler before us?

KFFL wrote:
Jets | Team could pursue Cutler in the NFL Draft
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:51:26 -0800

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets under new head coach Eric Mangini may break tradition and consider drafting a quarterback in the first round of the NFL Draft. They are seriously considering selecting Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler should they trade down from the fourth overall pick. At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., several Jets team representatives and scouts, including general manager Terry Bradway, had a lengthy dinner with Cutler Wednesday night, Jan. 25.

January 27th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

only problem is i dont think Jimmy is a stud, the other 2 guys are and those are the ones that will be gone. we need somebody like deangelo williams or lendale white to step up and become top 8 picks as well in order for us to get one of those 2 studs.

January 27th, 2006, 5:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I can only hope that somebody takes Cutler before the 9th pick and it's looking more probable by the day. Honestly, I've never seen the guy play, so I'm just going off of the hype surrounding the Senior Bowl practices. Since New Orleans, Tennessee, New York Jets, and Oakland could all use QBs, it's possible that Leinart, Young, and Cutler could be selected before the Lions' pick. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it could. If LenDale White also goes to the Packers (another rumor) or some other team ahead of the Lions, it would increase the chances of Mario Williams, Ferguson, or Hawk dropping to 9. Assuming that Buffalo takes Ngata at 8, it would assure that one of those three would be available. I can hope, can't I?

January 27th, 2006, 7:28 pm
BANNED

Post top 10 board
slybri19 wrote:
I can only hope that somebody takes Cutler before the 9th pick and it's looking more probable by the day. Honestly, I've never seen the guy play, so I'm just going off of the hype surrounding the Senior Bowl practices. Since New Orleans, Tennessee, New York Jets, and Oakland could all use QBs, it's possible that Leinart, Young, and Cutler could be selected before the Lions' pick. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it could. If LenDale White also goes to the Packers (another rumor) or some other team ahead of the Lions, it would increase the chances of Mario Williams, Ferguson, or Hawk dropping to 9. Assuming that Buffalo takes Ngata at 8, it would assure that one of those three would be available. I can hope, can't I?

yes you can hope, we need one of those 3 guys, here's my top 10 Lions board

Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Reggie Bush
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Mario Williams
A.J. Hawk
Jimmy Williams
Michael Huff
Tamba Hali
Jay Cutler

January 27th, 2006, 7:44 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't think it matters as I don't believe Detroit. at this point, would take him anyway.

January 27th, 2006, 10:14 pm
RIP Killer

After reading several sites about the Senior Bowl practices, here's my Lions top 10 list (only players I feel we have a realistic chance of getting at number 9, no trading up):

1. Chad Greenway
Has shown he can fight off blocks and has the size to move to the middle. A natural leader on the field, very coachable.
2. Jimmy Williams
Can play either cornerback or safety, and we need both. Has elite size and the speed to keep up with most NFL starting receivers.
3. Winston Justice
He will be able to make the move from the right side to the left side seamlessly. Adept at both run and pass blocking, unlike Ferguson and McNeil.
4. Michael Huff
Another that can play either corner or safety. Needs to add bulk to play safety, but shows good field awareness and tackling skills.
5. Vernon Davis
Speed of a receiver, body of a linebacker, great hands and a good overall person. Tight end isn't a need, but someone who can stretch the field and catch the ball reliably is.
6. Tye Hill
Could be a Dre' clone. World class speed with decent field awareness. Needs coaching at next level, but could become special.
7. Mathias Kiwanuka
Stock has dropped with poor Senior Bowl practices, but still has qualities that you can't teach like speed and size.
8. Jay Cutler
Though I shudder to think of having a QB triumverate of Joey, Jay and Dan O, he could become very good. Quick release and a strong arm. Needs to add touch and good decision making to his repetoire.
9. Manny Lawson
Smallish size, but could add bulk to his frame. Explosive first step and decent pass rush moves. Smaller version of Kalimba, only quicker.
10. Marcus McNeil
May not have the elite pass blocking skills of D'Brickashaw, but is a much better run blocker than him or Backus.

Not that I would like if we took these players at number nine. At this time I feel only Greenway, J. Williams, W. Justice or M. Huff would be of any decent value to us with the ninth pick.

Honorable mention: Tamba Hali, Antonio Cromartie, Gabriel Watson

January 27th, 2006, 10:28 pm
BANNED

After reading several sites about the Senior Bowl practices, here's my Lions top 10 list (only players I feel we have a realistic chance of getting at number 9, no trading up):

1. Chad Greenway
Has shown he can fight off blocks and has the size to move to the middle. A natural leader on the field, very coachable.
2. Jimmy Williams
Can play either cornerback or safety, and we need both. Has elite size and the speed to keep up with most NFL starting receivers.
3. Winston Justice
He will be able to make the move from the right side to the left side seamlessly. Adept at both run and pass blocking, unlike Ferguson and McNeil.
4. Michael Huff
Another that can play either corner or safety. Needs to add bulk to play safety, but shows good field awareness and tackling skills.
5. Vernon Davis
Speed of a receiver, body of a linebacker, great hands and a good overall person. Tight end isn't a need, but someone who can stretch the field and catch the ball reliably is.
6. Tye Hill
Could be a Dre' clone. World class speed with decent field awareness. Needs coaching at next level, but could become special.
7. Mathias Kiwanuka
Stock has dropped with poor Senior Bowl practices, but still has qualities that you can't teach like speed and size.
8. Jay Cutler
Though I shudder to think of having a QB triumverate of Joey, Jay and Dan O, he could become very good. Quick release and a strong arm. Needs to add touch and good decision making to his repetoire.
9. Manny Lawson
Smallish size, but could add bulk to his frame. Explosive first step and decent pass rush moves. Smaller version of Kalimba, only quicker.
10. Marcus McNeil
May not have the elite pass blocking skills of D'Brickashaw, but is a much better run blocker than him or Backus.

Not that I would like if we took these players at number nine. At this time I feel only Greenway, J. Williams, W. Justice or M. Huff would be of any decent value to us with the ninth pick.

Honorable mention: Tamba Hali, Antonio Cromartie, Gabriel Watson

I would rank that list as follows:
Jimmy
Huff
McNeil
Vernon
Greenway
Kiwanuka
Cutler
Justice
Winston
Hill

January 27th, 2006, 11:19 pm
Water Boy

I'm a NY Jet fan...........I come in peace and I'm not a troll. In fact, the Lions are my favorite NFC team.

Do I believe the Jets' would take Cutler at # 4....No I don't. Most people believe the Jets will take D'Brickashaw Fergurson, which I disagree.

The Jet's, IMO, if we stay at # 4 (with Bush, Lineart and Young gone) will probably draft Deangelo Williams or AJ Hawk. Mangini, our new HC. wants to eventually convert the Jets to a 3-4 defense and Hawk would fit in nicely. Hawk & Vilma would be 2 of the best LBs in the NFL. DeAngelo would be a nice repalcement for Curtis.

The Jets' have too much money invested in Pennington and will probaly draft a QB in a later rd.

Actually, the Jets would love to trade down to a team like Detriot or Arizona to get some extra picks.

January 29th, 2006, 7:48 pm
BANNED

I'm a NY Jet fan...........I come in peace and I'm not a troll. In fact, the Lions are my favorite NFC team.

Do I believe the Jets' would take Cutler at # 4....No I don't. Most people believe the Jets will take D'Brickashaw Fergurson, which I disagree.

The Jet's, IMO, if we stay at # 4 (with Bush, Lineart and Young gone) will probably draft Deangelo Williams or AJ Hawk. Mangini, our new HC. wants to eventually convert the Jets to a 3-4 defense and Hawk would fit in nicely. Hawk & Vilma would be 2 of the best LBs in the NFL. DeAngelo would be a nice repalcement for Curtis.

The Jets' have too much money invested in Pennington and will probaly draft a QB in a later rd.

Actually, the Jets would love to trade down to a team like Detriot or Arizona to get some extra picks.

if i was DET i would rather trade to the 6th spot for cheaper than the 4 if possible, caues i want one of Mario/AJ/Dbrick

and im not too concerned which one it is.

January 29th, 2006, 7:59 pm
Wow... I would love to trade up to 4 and grab Brick... It would definitely change our FA plans... (No Backus).. I think Brick could solidify our OL for the next 5-10 years

LoL.. That said I still think Backus is ok at LT.. allegedly he was hurt most of last season and there were 5 games he shouldn't have even played in. Taking an OG and maybe even C to solidify the left side would be the biggest OL upgrade IMO... Still, the tought of being able to get Brick is sweet...

M2 is that the order you'd pick in? (i.e. if #1 is gone you take 2, if 1 and 2, you take 3, ext.)...

I'm surprised to see Greenway over Huff and Williams for "need" reasons... a solid MLB would make a HUGE impact though... I would be opposed to re-signing Holmes for one more season though... I'm really warming up to Winston Justice at #9, but I would still prefer we re-sign Backus and fill a need... Huff is still my first choice... the only thing that makes me faulter is I want him as a FS, and we can pick one up in Rd 2.

January 29th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next