View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Draft Shaking Up Fast... 
Site Admin

I don't put much into that Tennessee rumor. They're just connecting dots.

"Well, Tennessee needs a QB, there is a good QB at the senior bowl, he played in Tennessee, they're practicing with him, he must be the guy!"

I mean, have we lost sight of actual games and what happens on the field? Let's see how Cutler plays in the senior bowl itself. Where he actually has targets to throw to and people who will block for him.

Brian, you seem resistant to accept Cutler and his rising stock...but I have yet to hear any negative feedback on the kid. It could be talk to pump others up about him...maybe the Jets are feigning interest to make the teams before them think. Who knows at this point. But I will buy into the hype if it means players out of the top 10 getting picked earlier cause that just helps out our plight :D

January 28th, 2006, 10:37 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't think there is false hype surrounding Cutler. He has all the measurables to be a solid NFL quarterback. It will be interesting to see how he does in the Senior Bowl with a better cast of players around him than what he had at Vanderbilt.

He is this years version of Philip Rivers to me. Rivers shot up draft boards late in 2004. I still think Roethlisberger was the better prospect, and time has somewhat proven that. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Cutler go to the Jets. However, my prediction is that New York makes a serious play for Daunte Culpepper. Pennington will be back and can start the season allowing DC to rehab his knee. After that, the Jets can ease Daunte in if they need to. Who knows how Chads shoulder will hold up? The Jets can't afford NOT to have a veteran there to replace Chad if his shoulder unravels again.

Oakland may snap him up if he gets past the Jets. Kerry Collins is done, and Tuiasasopo certainly isn't their answer, but could start for a season while Cutler does his internship.

Ferguson and Williams won't fall out of the top eight. If the Jets take Cutler, Ferguson is likely to be selected by Buffalo. Mario Williams won't get past Oakland or San Francisco whichever one picks first. The player most likely to fall will be Haloti Ngata, who I project as the Bills pick if Cutler doesn't crack the top 10. I also think Nick Saban will try to move up by dangling Ricky Williams and their first pick to the Jets in exchange for their first pick.

January 28th, 2006, 12:53 pm
Brian wrote:
I don't put much into that Tennessee rumor. They're just connecting dots.

"Well, Tennessee needs a QB, there is a good QB at the senior bowl, he played in Tennessee, they're practicing with him, he must be the guy!"

I mean, have we lost sight of actual games and what happens on the field? Let's see how Cutler plays in the senior bowl itself. Where he actually has targets to throw to and people who will block for him.

Brian, you seem resistant to accept Cutler and his rising stock...but I have yet to hear any negative feedback on the kid. It could be talk to pump others up about him...maybe the Jets are feigning interest to make the teams before them think. Who knows at this point. But I will buy into the hype if it means players out of the top 10 getting picked earlier cause that just helps out our plight :D

I'm resistant to accept Cutler and his rising stock as well... Alpha, the lack of negative feedback is part of what leads to my skepticism... especially in light of what I've seen from the kid... ALL of the media reports have praised his showing in the combine practices, yet what I've seen of them has stuck... Here's a tidbit from an ESPN insider article (that I don't have access to, but someone posted in the other Cutler thread)

"Take Cutler's arm, his smarts, his moxie, his toughness and his athleticism, and you have a pretty good model quarterback. To downgrade him because you see a few errant balls during Senior Bowl week is silly because these guys are working in a strange offense with new receivers."

I'm troubled with reports that praise his showing in the Senior Bowl practices despite what that one article says, AND in light of what I've seen with my own eyes. That coupled with reports that Norm Chow was screaming at the kid over and over for making the same mistakes with his footwork scare me... (that was reported on 1270 AM)

The excuse that he was "working in a strange offense with new receivers" is no reason to throw up ducks... these passes were terrible, had nothing behind them, and floated around like a duck with no tail feathers... I haven't seen much of Cutler and I watched attentively... I was expecting to see something special, and I definitely saw something else...

I will admit that my skepticism is founded on little more than what I've seen of him this season (Tenn game and Senior Bowl practice)... I guess there will be some material added to that in arond 3 more hours...

January 28th, 2006, 1:23 pm
QB Coach

I'm resistant to putting Cutler in the top 3 because there are 3 guys who are teriffic prospects, all were in NYC as heisman finalists, and have set themselves above the rest of the draft, although there is still some great talent. And they fill the top 3 teams' needs perfectly. I don't see anyway Cutler cracks top 3.

He could rise to #4, but that's the only spot in the top 8 I see him at. And didn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson have a great senior bowl week, and don't they have a glaring need at tackle?

Then you've got Green Bay at 5, that's not happening. San Francisco/Oakland at 6/7, San Fran isn't happening, Al Davis does NOT want to take a rookie QB, he passed on Roethlisberger and Rivers, and he just took Walter last year who could pan out (has the arm for the offense). Also has Culpepper rumors there. Buffalo has Losman at #8.

Millen isn't taking him at #9, his butt is on the line, and rookie QBs don't win games (don't give me a Roethlisberger argument). Arizona is working to re-sign Warner. St. Louis has Bulger. Cleveland has Frye. I'm not going to keep going on, i'll just say I think he's out of the top 15 (Miami).

January 28th, 2006, 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm resistant to putting Cutler in the top 3 because there are 3 guys who are teriffic prospects, all were in NYC as heisman finalists, and have set themselves above the rest of the draft, although there is still some great talent. And they fill the top 3 teams' needs perfectly. I don't see anyway Cutler cracks top 3.

He could rise to #4, but that's the only spot in the top 8 I see him at. And didn't D'Brickashaw Ferguson have a great senior bowl week, and don't they have a glaring need at tackle?

Then you've got Green Bay at 5, that's not happening. San Francisco/Oakland at 6/7, San Fran isn't happening, Al Davis does NOT want to take a rookie QB, he passed on Roethlisberger and Rivers, and he just took Walter last year who could pan out (has the arm for the offense). Also has Culpepper rumors there. Buffalo has Losman at #8.

Millen isn't taking him at #9, his butt is on the line, and rookie QBs don't win games (don't give me a Roethlisberger argument). Arizona is working to re-sign Warner. St. Louis has Bulger. Cleveland has Frye. I'm not going to keep going on, i'll just say I think he's out of the top 15 (Miami).

I agree with you whole heartedly, Brian... I even think he somewhat hurt his draft stock in the game; but he did in fact have a good week in practice so it doesn't hurt his stock much. Anyways, I'm not pumped on Cutler and I hope to god WE DON'T draft him. IMO he will be very inconsistent in the NFL, much like Joey...

Michael Huff for DROY

January 29th, 2006, 10:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That's exactly what the Lions need - a QB who looks great during practice!

January 29th, 2006, 11:30 am
That's exactly what the Lions need - a QB who looks great during practice!

Again, in the game he didn't impress me much. He looked terrible under pressure and went three and out... I believe he threw 5 incompletions before his TD pass...

I really don't think the kid has any chance of playing better than Harrington this season, at least not for the Lions....

January 29th, 2006, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

Indecisive with the ball. He drops back well and sets up quickly, but carries the ball too low (shoulder height) and doesn't release the ball high enough. He has a quick release once he makes his decision and throws the ball effortlessly. He doesn't seem to see the field all that well and appears to be a quarterback that was more afraid of making a mistake than taking a risk.

All that being said, I don't know that we saw the real Jay Cutler in the Senior Bowl. Something tells me he was playing more to raise his draft stock than just playing football for the fun of it. More than likely he had a bug (agent) in his ear telling him not to make any mistakes, which turned out to be his biggest mistake. During the college season it seemed that Cutler played with much more authority than he did on Saturday. I think he may have been just a bit overwhelmed.

Detroit isn't going to select Cutler, unless Rod decides Joey has to go. I don't believe that will be the case. Even though Arizona is looking to re-sign Warner, they know that McCown is most likely leaving and Navarre or Davey certainly aren't the answer. If Cutler does well at his workouts, I think there's a pretty decent chance that the Cards would select him. Their other option would be to wait until round two to select either Omar Jacobs or Charlie Whitehurst, who probably moved himself up most draft boards. Brodie Croyle will still be a third to fourth rounder, along with Reggie McNeal and Bruce Gradkowski.

January 29th, 2006, 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2