View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Michael Robinson 
QB Coach

Post Michael Robinson
Anybody have any thoughts or insights on him or any of the other guys in this article as potential picks? ( excluding of course the WRs and DT)

January 27th, 2006, 6:01 pm
QB Coach

this article:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9191903

January 27th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Anthony Smith is a "football player" just like it says in the article. He was one of the few reasons I would go watch Syracuse play this year and last. As many know I'm not a Syracuse fan but they are forced upon me to watch because that's where I live. But he is for ever working to get better and not just in practice but also when it comes to making in game adjustments. Eventhough he might run a blazing 40 at the combine he has great game speed because he knows where to be. The only knock against him might be that he is only 5'11". But there are a few really good FS's in the leagur that are only 6' so I wouldn't really hold a 1/2" against him. I think he's going to become what everybody was hoping Holt would be.

I'll stick with Syracuse and say that one of the better DE's that isn't getting any press is James Wyche. He has the perfect size,speed, and strength combination for a DE and is pretty technically sound as well. Watching him play was worth the price of the ticket. His numbers might not show it, but this guy was fighting through double and triple teams all year which dropped his numbers. As great as he is at getting to the QB he is equally as skilled at fighting down the line of scrimmage to make a play against the run. Unfortunately he didn't get invited to the Senior Bowl and had to play in the East/West Shrine game. But he did dominate there coming up with two sacks and the Defensive MVP.

There are three guys on that list that I like but scare me because of their past as far as keeping motivated is concerned. Watson, Spencer, and Byrd all seem to strugle staying in top physical form. Watson is the most notorious of the bunch but if he can keep up teh motor that he's shown this week I'd jump all over him if he's there in the 2nd round. Byrd has all the potential in the world but all season long all could notice was that he looks like he's on the Mike Williams Twinkie diet. Spencer is a guy that could be a steal later on if he can show he loves the game and will stay in shaoe. The guy looks like a house when he lines up but he came into this week looking like he worked out more at the buffet than in the gym.

I like Robinson and think that he could of developed into a decent Qb had teh Penn State coaching staff not had him bounce around until his Senior year. As it is he is three or four years behind the learning curve and will have to become a Ward type of player (not a bad thing). He has a great chance to do the same things as Ward because as far as a person they seem to be pretty similar. Unfortunately there really isn't any room for him on the Lions at where he should be drafted. He will be too high because of his physical abilities for the Lions to consider him.

I also like Mills and Watkins because they have the potential to those difference maker type of players. The WR's hold no value to me and out of the QB's at the Senior Bowl if the Lions look at any of them I'd like it to be Whitehurst. He has shown a good arm and can make all the throws despite his shoulder only being about 75-80%. That is encouraging because he was able to make those deep out throws with out being 100%. He did struggle a little this week but again he's not 100%.

The one thing that bothers me about Whitehurst is that he will force things sometimes. But at the same time that might also be a welcomed change of pace compared to the constant safe approach. I think that just like Joey, Charlie could excel in a run/play action pass heavy offense. I just don't think Dan has the arm to make those NFL throws like the deep out and would rather see them develop a guy like Whitehurst instead.

January 27th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Whitehurst doesn't interest me at all due to his projected draft position... I really like Robinson though... He seems as if he can be had in the 5th or 6th rounds, and would be an intreguing player at KR,PR,WR, and Qb... I personally like his decision making at Qb.. I think he has the "intangibles," maturity, and intelligence needed to play the game.

Good insight on Anthony Smith Sweetd... I would love a Bob Sanders, Mike Doss type of safety.. I don't know if Smith is the hitter the other two are, but I would LOVE to have a FS with some range. Chris Hope is only 5'11" and I would love to land him for his speed.... I can't stand how slow Holts game speed/agility is.

If Gabe Watson falls to us in the 2nd I will be mad... I know we won't draft him, but it will disgust me that we drafted Cody last year... IMO Gabe is twice the DT that Cody is.

January 28th, 2006, 1:35 am
League MVP

Cody is better than Watson. I have no doubts about that. Watson is bigger, possibly faster and more powerful but has no football awareness or instincts. He often has no clue where the ball is and he can blow up offensive lineman but doesnt disengage from blocks. And you can forget about reading the OL footwork or fighting against pressure, he just doesnt do it. This guy has been like this since high school and honestly since then I dont see a lot of improvement besides taking less plays off. I know a lot of teams will want him because of the big body and athleticism but he is not a quality football player. Cody is already an above average defensive lineman and will be even better next year. He can play inside/outside uses a good repertoire of moves to come off and avoid blocks and is an aware enough player to attack, read, and react.

A really good football player that seems to be overlooked quite a bit is Manny Lawson DE of NC State, he has been a more complete player than Mario Williams in college but lacks Williams' size. I really expect him to do well wherever he goes even if that means a position change. I watched 2 NC State games this year bc of all the Williams hype and for a while I thought everyone was talking about Lawson bc he made a load of plays.

January 28th, 2006, 10:46 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Gabe and Cody are two different type of DT. Gabe is the nose tackle, 3 gap tackle that eats up blocks. He is more of a Big Baby style Tackle. Cody is more of a pass rushing tackle. Remember that Gabe is around 320 and Cody is around 290. Also as far as saying Gabe doesn't football awareness you must be joking. The last 2 years he has been one of the most promising DT in college and his senior bowl outing has really showed that he can dominant a game. All it comes down to with Gabe is if he can show commitment and desire to play everydown.

January 29th, 2006, 3:29 pm
Div 1 - Starter

i saw some of the senior bowl practices and watson was jumping off sides like every other play. that could be huge in the NFL. how mad do you get when the lions are on defense its 3rd and 3 and a D linemen jumps offsides just giving away the first down.

January 29th, 2006, 10:59 pm
i saw some of the senior bowl practices and watson was jumping off sides like every other play. that could be huge in the NFL. how mad do you get when the lions are on defense its 3rd and 3 and a D linemen jumps offsides just giving away the first down.

Jumping off-sides in practice? I don't know about that... but I did see him dominate nearly ever OL men he went up against... He made Spencer look like a bizziatch... I know he didn't jump offsides in crutial areas of the game, and that's what I'm most concerned with.

January 29th, 2006, 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]