View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Are we barking up the wrong tree? 
Heisman Winner

Post Are we barking up the wrong tree?
I haven't heard anyone mention it yet, but I wonder if all the talk about the OTs, LBs, DEs and such is going to prove to be off base. My guess is that Millen(aka Fire) will take the BPA if he can't find a trade. I wonder if that won't turn out to be Gabe Watson come draft day. Apparently he's showing alot at the Senior Bowl. Without knowing too much, I wonder if a GM might decide that Watson and Rogers would solidify for years the interior of the DL with Cody as a rotating player. Maybe moving to DE someday like Trevor Pryce did. In any case, top DTs tend to be highly valued at the top of round 1. Maybe he would occupy a slot on the top 8 come draft day, allowing someone else to fall to the Leos.

January 28th, 2006, 10:34 am
Site Admin

I do not think we are taking Gabe Watson with our pick...we have waaaaayyyyy too many other holes...it would be like taking ANOTHER receiver IMO...a wasted pick. No matter how good gabe is we have too many other huge needs. If Backus goes and we don't land a top FA lineman we will be forced to go OL...and even if we do we still may invest our pick on the oline. I think unless a blue chip DE, LB, or one of the studd QBs fall to us we are definately going OL. We have too at this point.

January 28th, 2006, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
All State

cody doesnt need to move to end , and watson wouldnt be a bad pick , cause he can cause pressure , but we need a end more than a tackle ..

January 28th, 2006, 11:14 am
I do not think we are taking Gabe Watson with our pick...we have waaaaayyyyy too many other holes...it would be like taking ANOTHER receiver IMO...a wasted pick. No matter how good gabe is we have too many other huge needs. If Backus goes and we don't land a top FA lineman we will be forced to go OL...and even if we do we still may invest our pick on the oline. I think unless a blue chip DE, LB, or one of the studd QBs fall to us we are definately going OL. We have too at this point.

I agree with that, but I'm open to Jimmy Williams or Huff as well... I consider those two "blue chip" Db's... I really have a feeling Marinelli is going to want to draft some upfront beef, regardless of which side of the ball it's on though...

January 28th, 2006, 11:26 am
Site Admin

You're wjb...I forgot about those kids...we could use some improved run defense with those guys hopefully if they stick with safety.

January 28th, 2006, 11:31 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

While Watson has improved his stock, I don't think he'll crack the top 10. He may go top 20, and possibly even go as high as 12th as Cleveland needs a big body for their 3-4.

I think Millen will look at balancing the idea of filling needs versus taking the best talent. I would prefer he finds good quality to fill a need. It will depend on our free agency moves. Will we resign Backus? Will we retain Kalimba? Can we get a good FA MLB, CB, FS, OT, OG? Draft boards get shaken up days into free agency.

While Watson may have had a good week at the Senior Bowl, it's hard to forget how often he 'disappeared' during Michigan games.

January 28th, 2006, 11:37 am
Div 1 - Starter

No. this wont happen and it shouldnt. Watson can be a great one and he has shown it...sometimes...but in the Senior Bowl practices he has been jumping offsides ALL the time, hes pretty lazy, there are a lot of times when he "dissapears" and is innefective. remember he was benched at the end of his senior year.

NOT TO MENTION DT is probably the lions strongest position. they have so many other HUGE needs. you always try to improve your weeknesses not your strengths. and the lions have plenty of weeknesses.

January 28th, 2006, 12:14 pm
Heisman Winner

I am merely speculating. Not advocating. My gut feeling - which counts for nothing- is that Marinelli and Millen will take the best lineman available at that point, IF they can't trade down. At that point it might be apparrent who Seattle will Franchise this year. My guess is that it will be Hutchinson since I think they have an agreement with Alexander not to do so this year. I think Backus will be retained, and Ferguson and Williams will be gone by the Lions' pick. All that said, the #9 pick would possibly be looking at Justice, Kiwi-, McNeil, Hawk or Greenway or a DT. All this will boil down to a few things. How good do they think Butler is? If they don't think he's the answer, look for McNeil or Justice. Do they think Cody is a full time starter? Maybe so, he had as many tackles as Wilkinson in 2005. On today's roster, they don't need a DT. You could say they don't need a DE also. If Mario Williams is there, I'd say they will pick him. Kiwi maybe not. They've passed on alot of talent the last few years to pick up the game breaking WRs we have now. What they really need is a Guard. They have for years. They will probably not pick Jean-Giles at #9 though. Maybe this year Millen will decide he has enough CB depth and DT depth to allow for a rd 2 or rd 3 OL to play LG. Maybe things will work out and Huff will be the new FS. Who knows? If they can't trade out of the pick, I don't think they'll reach for a mild need at DE or OT when what they really want there is to upgrade. If Millen's DE or OT is not there, I'd guess he'll pick the best player on his board. Maybe even Cutler if that's the case. Now that would stir us all up eh.

January 28th, 2006, 1:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Or maybe trade down a bit. But overall I agree Alpha.

Also with all the hype about Cutler - if he's there at #9 I see Millen all over that. But no matter who the QB is they will fail behind the O-line as it is.

January 28th, 2006, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Allot of this depends on if we go with our main defense as the Tampa 2 (marinelli) or if Its more of a 4-3 with blitzes(Henderson)

If we go Tampa we need dline help as Big Daddy isnt a tampa 2 DT but Cody could fill in nicely, We also need another DE like Mario Williams,Kiwi, or Hali But Id like to get John Abraham from the jets since he may not fit the 3-4 defense Mangini will install over there and He could be our Simeon Rice/Dwight Freeny,Adewale Ogunleye type player. I also think Edwards will have a great year with the help of Marinelli.

Upgrade at Dline:
DT=Need fast DT but I think Cody can do but there is always the chance of us Signing Hovan

DE=We need to get pressure and Drafting a DE is the most liekly solution but Id prefer us to get Abraham and let Edwards play the other or we could upgrade both spots but that is unlikely but could you imaging Abraham And Mario Williams but thats a dream lol

Since MLB doesn't have to take on blocks as much Lehman may be able to fit there Boss is set but can Lewis play WLB is the question.

Upgrades at LB:
Strong Side= Bailey has this covered but some depth is needed due to injury

Middle=If we go tampa 2 Lehman could fill the MLB spot since it doesnt reguire you to shed as many blocks

Weak Side= Can Lewis or Davis step up. Its an important question and if they cant I could see us either signing a LB like witherspoon or drafting someone like Greenway but Im just gonna hope Lewis can handle it

Upgrade at DB:
All I know is that we need someone better then Holt ad that it may come from the draft ala Huff but I dont know as much about secondary so but I hear Bly isnt a typical tampa DB so I could see him leaving in a trade

So to answer your question about Gabe no we wont draft Gabe and I only see him in top 8 if the Bills take him and thats only if h ebecomes far and away the best DT prospect becuase of the combine and Senior Bowl

I believe we are drafting Defense in the first but it depends on what we do in the FA period on who we draft

January 28th, 2006, 1:36 pm
BANNED

I am merely speculating. Not advocating. My gut feeling - which counts for nothing- is that Marinelli and Millen will take the best lineman available at that point, IF they can't trade down. At that point it might be apparrent who Seattle will Franchise this year. My guess is that it will be Hutchinson since I think they have an agreement with Alexander not to do so this year. I think Backus will be retained, and Ferguson and Williams will be gone by the Lions' pick. All that said, the #9 pick would possibly be looking at Justice, Kiwi-, McNeil, Hawk or Greenway or a DT. All this will boil down to a few things. How good do they think Butler is? If they don't think he's the answer, look for McNeil or Justice. Do they think Cody is a full time starter? Maybe so, he had as many tackles as Wilkinson in 2005. On today's roster, they don't need a DT. You could say they don't need a DE also. If Mario Williams is there, I'd say they will pick him. Kiwi maybe not. They've passed on alot of talent the last few years to pick up the game breaking WRs we have now. What they really need is a Guard. They have for years. They will probably not pick Jean-Giles at #9 though. Maybe this year Millen will decide he has enough CB depth and DT depth to allow for a rd 2 or rd 3 OL to play LG. Maybe things will work out and Huff will be the new FS. Who knows? If they can't trade out of the pick, I don't think they'll reach for a mild need at DE or OT when what they really want there is to upgrade. If Millen's DE or OT is not there, I'd guess he'll pick the best player on his board. Maybe even Cutler if that's the case. Now that would stir us all up eh.

u forgot to mention one name in that list, i think Tamba Hali is going to be strong consideration for the 9 pick :), he is going to go ahead of Kiwi.

January 28th, 2006, 8:49 pm
RIP Killer

Allot of this depends on if we go with our main defense as the Tampa 2 (marinelli) or if Its more of a 4-3 with blitzes(Henderson)

If we go Tampa we need dline help as Big Daddy isnt a tampa 2 DT but Cody could fill in nicely, We also need another DE like Mario Williams,Kiwi, or Hali But Id like to get John Abraham from the jets since he may not fit the 3-4 defense Mangini will install over there and He could be our Simeon Rice/Dwight Freeny,Adewale Ogunleye type player. I also think Edwards will have a great year with the help of Marinelli.

Upgrade at Dline:
DT=Need fast DT but I think Cody can do but there is always the chance of us Signing Hovan

I don't think DT is a need at all. With Shaun Rogers and Big Daddy, the interior line of the offense has a big battle on its hands. Cody adds quickness for the pass rush, but stopping the run has to be the priority.

DE=We need to get pressure and Drafting a DE is the most liekly solution but Id prefer us to get Abraham and let Edwards play the other or we could upgrade both spots but that is unlikely but could you imaging Abraham And Mario Williams but thats a dream lol

You're right, Mario is a fantasy. I think ninth is too high a pick for either Hali or Kiwi. Abraham or Howard would be a nice addition, but it depends on their asking price. Edwards is unrestricted and may look to leave regardless of what Detroit offers him. Devries is likewise unrestricted and will be sought after by teams running a 3-4 and looking for a DE. Pittsburgh may want him. Redding is restricted, but is more of a backup role player. He's a great run stopper, but adds little to the pass rush. I would prefer Darren Howard over John Abraham, as Abraham strikes me as a primadonna.

Since MLB doesn't have to take on blocks as much Lehman may be able to fit there Boss is set but can Lewis play WLB is the question.
Learn from the past. In ANY defensive scheme, Ted Lehman is an outside linebacker. He is not an inside player, and he needs to start on the weakside.

Upgrades at LB:
Strong Side= Bailey has this covered but some depth is needed due to injury

Donte Curry is still with Detroit and will be the backup. I would like to see the Lions offer Wali Rainer a two or three year deal to play ST and backup at SLB and MLB. Nate Wayne impressed me as well, and I would like to see him stay.

Middle=If we go tampa 2 Lehman could fill the MLB spot since it doesnt reguire you to shed as many blocks
See above. Lehman should stick to WLB. We need to draft a MLB with the ability to work in traffic and get deep for coverage.

Weak Side= Can Lewis or Davis step up. Its an important question and if they cant I could see us either signing a LB like witherspoon or drafting someone like Greenway but Im just gonna hope Lewis can handle it

Lewis is a good player and is best suited for nickle and dime situations. He covers well and can shed blocks for running down backs. Greenway intrigues me as being able to move inside for us. He has the size, showed in Senior Bowl practice that he can fight off blocks, and has great speed. James Davis is panty waste and needs to be allowed to leave.

Upgrade at DB:
All I know is that we need someone better then Holt ad that it may come from the draft ala Huff but I dont know as much about secondary so but I hear Bly isnt a typical tampa DB so I could see him leaving in a trade

So to answer your question about Gabe no we wont draft Gabe and I only see him in top 8 if the Bills take him and thats only if h ebecomes far and away the best DT prospect becuase of the combine and Senior Bowl

I believe we are drafting Defense in the first but it depends on what we do in the FA period on who we draft
Getting a fast player for the free safety position MUST become a high priority for this team. Holt should be moved to be the backup SS, McGraw can remain as the backup FS and let's get a top notch player to be a FS. I have heard that at the Senior Bowl practices Cedric Griffen of Texas saw time as a free safety and didn't embarrass himself. That may be an option in round two. Daniel Bullocks suprised many with his speed, instincts and coverage ability. He is seen as a strong safety but could make the switch in the NFL if he times out at 4.5 or less during his workouts. Bly likely isn't going anywhere. Bryant is a poor fit for the Cover 2 because he lacks ANY physical qualities. Bly will at least get his nose dirty and try to tackle someone, even though he doesn't tackle particularly well. Kieth Smith looks to have the right skillset for the Cover 2. However, we should still look at getting a corner in free agency that has experience in the Cover 2. I don't want to see another third rounder spent on a cornerback that will sit the bench. RW McQuarters didn't look great in the Jauron defense, but I think he could excel in a Cover 2 scheme and would love to see the Lions resign him. That would also allow the Lions to consider letting Eddie Drummond leave as the KR/PR

January 28th, 2006, 9:09 pm
Pop Warner Vet

its kinda funny i was playing madden and i wanted to hire rod marinelli but he wasnt on the game, so i did next best thing i hired monte kiffin, almost right away bly says TRADE ME....lol

January 30th, 2006, 10:43 am
#1 Overall Pick

If we go Tampa we need dline help as Big Daddy isnt a tampa 2 DT but Cody could fill in nicely

I agree about the DT needing to FIT the "Tampa 2".

Even IF we don't run that type of scheme......I expect Marinelli will want a quicker DT than Watson because that is how he has coached his D-line for 10 years in Tampa.

If.......and I think it is a BIG IF........the Lions take a DT in round 1, I am thinking it will be Brodrick Bunkley of FSU because he "fits" the scheme I expect Marinelli and Henderson to install.

I just HOPE they wouldn't take a DT at #9 when they have many bigger needs..........and could likely trade down and still get him later.

And for that matter........the smaller, quicker DTs are the ones that are so hard to find.......so a decent player could be had later.

January 30th, 2006, 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]