View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 D'Quell Jackson 
Team MVP

Post D'Quell Jackson
I heard he had a really good Senior Bowl and I would be interested in him in the second round. Do you think this is a possibility??

In this article Kirwan compares him to Lofa Tatupu:
http://nfl.com/draft/story/9195449

January 29th, 2006, 7:48 pm
RIP Killer

I think he's a player and should be there in the 2nd. If we don't get Jackson, we'll get another equally good player. There's just so many dang choices and we could use so many of these great players. There's too many guys I'd like to have (Tatui, Jackson, Hodge, MJG, Joseph, Colledge, etc). There's going to be a lot of solid players available in round 2 and I think we should try to get as many 2nd or 3rd picks as possible by trading down. Hopefully we can make a case for Miami to trade and get Cutler (or some other team for an impact player if Cutler is gone) and pick up a 2nd or a couple 3rds.

January 29th, 2006, 8:56 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I think he's a player and should be there in the 2nd. If we don't get Jackson, we'll get another equally good player. There's just so many dang choices and we could use so many of these great players. There's too many guys I'd like to have (Tatui, Jackson, Hodge, MJG, Joseph, Colledge, etc). There's going to be a lot of solid players available in round 2 and I think we should try to get as many 2nd or 3rd picks as possible by trading down. Hopefully we can make a case for Miami to trade and get Cutler (or some other team for an impact player if Cutler is gone) and pick up a 2nd or a couple 3rds.

i completely agree. this is what i have been saying for a while(trading for 2nd & 3rd round picks). i really want most of the guys you mentioned except for Hodge. dont get me wrongi think Hodge will be a great player but the cover 2 requires LBs that can cover and that is Hodge's weekness. hes a lot like hitman Holmes, a hard hitter whos really good against the run but cant cover. D'Quell Jackson is better in coverage and that is why i want him or Greenway as the lions next MLB. i'd rather have Jackson though because he has been projected as a MLB and Greenway is a projected OLB so he could be like Lehman also jackson wont cost the lions thier 1st pick.

January 29th, 2006, 10:23 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

If I am correct Greenway did play some MLB at Iowa whether it was they played a little3-4 or he played their on passing downs but i do remember him lined up there. Also the thing which Greenway has over Teddy is he has better size and skills to play the MLb

January 30th, 2006, 7:16 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Also the thing which Greenway has over Teddy is he has better size and skills to play the MLb

Chad Greenway, Iowa
6021 242
* Solid and very athletic

Lehman is listed at 6'2" and 238 pounds.

I don't really see that Greenway has a size advantage.

And as far as skills go..........Lehman had to play MLB at Oklahoma because of an injury to their MLB during his senior year. He seemed to have the ability to play MLB in college at that time.

The other issue with Lehman playing the MLB is that it will depend on the scheme used. Tampa has never had big "take-on" run-stuffers in the middle of their defense. And several other teams don't ask their MLB to shed blocks either. In fact.......the Seahawks' Lofa Tatupu is one of the smaller MLBs in the NFL.

January 30th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The thing that I don't like about D'Quell Jackson is his size. He measured in at 6-0.2 and 228 lbs at the Senior Bowl. I know that there have been some MLBs that have excelled at or near that size, but they have failed more times than not. If the Lions are going to run a true Tampa 2, then he might be worth taking a chance on. However, if they are going to run a more traditional defense, then I would pass and look for a bigger and stronger MLB.

January 30th, 2006, 7:50 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The thing that I don't like about D'Quell Jackson is his size. He measured in at 6-0.2 and 228 lbs at the Senior Bowl. I know that there have been some MLBs that have excelled at or near that size, but they have failed more times than not. If the Lions are going to run a true Tampa 2, then he might be worth taking a chance on. However, if they are going to run a more traditional defense, then I would pass and look for a bigger and stronger MLB.

I hope the lions run a true Tampa 2. and i doubt being 6-0 will effect his game as much as people think. height is a little overrated IMO and i guarantee that a lot of players are listed as taller and heavier than they really are.

February 1st, 2006, 12:13 am
Quote:
Also the thing which Greenway has over Teddy is he has better size and skills to play the MLb

Chad Greenway, Iowa
6021 242
* Solid and very athletic

Lehman is listed at 6'2" and 238 pounds.

I don't really see that Greenway has a size advantage.

And as far as skills go..........Lehman had to play MLB at Oklahoma because of an injury to their MLB during his senior year. He seemed to have the ability to play MLB in college at that time.

The other issue with Lehman playing the MLB is that it will depend on the scheme used. Tampa has never had big "take-on" run-stuffers in the middle of their defense. And several other teams don't ask their MLB to shed blocks either. In fact.......the Seahawks' Lofa Tatupu is one of the smaller MLBs in the NFL.

Phunny... Strenght may be more of an issue than weight... Lehman is 4 lbs lighter, but I would like to see the difference of bench press reps of 225 after the combine.

What bothers me is people are so willing to say Lehman is uncapable of playing MLB after only being in the league for two seasons. I have to think that Lehman is still capable of adding a couple of pounds and getting stronger, and that could have a great deal of effect on his game.

Also, many overlook Alex Lewis' seeming potential to play the middle too. IMO he's the best LB we have at shedding blocks. I would love to see him get a shot at the middle spot while we play Lehman and Bailey at WLB and SLB respectively.

February 1st, 2006, 2:17 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Don't get me startesd on Lewis I've been stressing that idea for over a year now. He has played some MLB in college and more than held his own. Anyways my problem with Lehman in the middle is I question his instincts and leadership ability to play that position. I'd like to see them get a great LB in the 5th round range in a guy name Nick Reid out of Kansas. His only real negative is that he played at Kansas so nodody knows who he is. He's a former S that has played both inside and out in college and knows how to get into the backfield whether it's against the run or pass and he can cover.

There's also an intriguing LB that would definately be a project but has freakish athletic ability from Miami-Ohio, Terna Nande. He can bench 520 pounds, squat 620, and has a 36 inch vertical jump. He also brings a reported 4.43 which also translates to football speed out on teh field with how fast he gets to the ball.

February 1st, 2006, 8:35 am
All State

Don't get me startesd on Lewis I've been stressing that idea for over a year now. He has played some MLB in college and more than held his own. Anyways my problem with Lehman in the middle is I question his instincts and leadership ability to play that position. I'd like to see them get a great LB in the 5th round range in a guy name Nick Reid out of Kansas. His only real negative is that he played at Kansas so nodody knows who he is. He's a former S that has played both inside and out in college and knows how to get into the backfield whether it's against the run or pass and he can cover.

There's also an intriguing LB that would definately be a project but has freakish athletic ability from Miami-Ohio, Terna Nande. He can bench 520 pounds, squat 620, and has a 36 inch vertical jump. He also brings a reported 4.43 which also translates to football speed out on teh field with how fast he gets to the ball.

its alot if good mlb prospects outthere , i dont think we will have a problem getting a good mlb, if the scouts are on the jobm but just get us a lineman who can come in and compete , on either side of the ball .

February 1st, 2006, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

Being a big guy is not a pre-requisite for being a successful MLB in the NFL. Ray Lewis and Lofa Tatupu are both under 6 foot. However, a good MLB needs to be able to keep blockers off of him, which means he needs to use his hands well and have excellent upper body strength. Also, they need a great deal of balance to be able to absorb the impact of a blocker without getting knocked off their intended path of pursuit.

Lehman never worked at MLB because he doesn't use his hands well at all. He lets people get to his body easily and needs to develop a good hand shiver, even if he's playing on the weak side.

D'Qwell Jacksons size isn't really an issue. He hits when he arrives, he covers fairly well and he takes pretty good angles. The questions to ask are: how are his play recognition skills? Does he read the guards and tackles well? Can he blitz effectively? Does he wrap up well on ball carriers? How well does he use his hands when fending off blockers? Does he see the field well?

February 1st, 2006, 12:37 pm
BANNED

Post Re: D'Quell Jackson
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I heard he had a really good Senior Bowl and I would be interested in him in the second round. Do you think this is a possibility??

In this article Kirwan compares him to Lofa Tatupu:
http://nfl.com/draft/story/9195449

i doubt it, here is my 2nd round mock draft, im pretty sure Dqwell is a goner, but Hodge will be there if we want him.

Houston OT Jonathan Scott Texas
New Orleans DT Brodrick Bunkley Florida State
Tennessee LB D'Qwell Jackson Maryland
NY Jets QB Omar Jacobs Bowling Green
Green Bay DT Orien Harris Miami
Oakland OG Max Jean-Gilles Georgia
San Francisco WR Sinorice Moss Miami
Buffalo DE Manny Lawson NC State
Detroit OT Daryn Colledge Boise State
Arizona QB Reggie McNeal Texas A&M
St. Louis LB Abdul Hodge Iowa
Cleveland CB Ashton Youboty Ohio State
Baltimore RB Brian Calhoun Wisconsin
Philadelphia WR Martin Nance Miami (OH)
Atlanta OG Davin Joseph Oklahoma
Miami C Greg Eslinger Minnesota
Minnesota C Nick Mangold Ohio State
Dallas LB Kai Parham Virginia
San Diego WR Jason Avant Michigan

February 4th, 2006, 8:58 pm
All State

we might get him , but i think we are gonna make a in the 1st 3 rounds get 1 more pick and take a mlb, and o - lineman, but depending on how his combine goes we dont get jackson ...

February 4th, 2006, 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]