View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Interior Oline 
Peewee Leaguer

Post Interior Oline
the more i think about this the more i like the idea. Since our biggest problem with the lions(personel wise) would have to be the offensive line as a unit. Dominic Raiola and who ever plays left guard are terrible, they are too week to play interior line if you ever want to run the ball up the middle. i am starting to think we should entertain any offers of trade from teams in the late teens to the late 20s even if we can only get a 3rd or 4th rounder out of it and pick two dominating OG in the 1st and 2nd round. the two i have in mind are Max Jean-Giles of Georga and Taitusi Lutui, USC. these guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to interior linemen. if you saw the senior bowl you had to see Jean-Giles just dominating guys. he is a nasty blocker who likes to burry guys into the ground and that is a quality you look for in an Olineman, that mean and nasty streak. And i dont want to hear that either of these guys are overweight i mean look at Lary Allen, people said that about him his whole career but he has been the best for how many years now? if we can resign Jeff Backus and he is injury free we could end up with a line like Seattle or the Chiefs.

with the 22nd selection in the 2006 nfl draft the Detroit lions select Max Jean-Giles from the University of Georga.
and...
with the 41st selection in the 2006 nfl draft teh Detroit lions select Taitusi Lutui from USC.

AAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! now that would be a dream come true, in my(and Kevin Jones')opinion.

January 31st, 2006, 12:27 am
RIP Killer

I assume you'd want to move Woody to C...

As well, I hate the idea of 2 rookie OGs.

January 31st, 2006, 12:31 am
Peewee Leaguer

thanks i forgott to say Woody at C. and rookie guards will only be a slight problem for the first few games, by mid season our line should be rolling over opponents front 7

January 31st, 2006, 12:37 am
thanks i forgott to say Woody at C. and rookie guards will only be a slight problem for the first few games, by mid season our line should be rolling over opponents front 7

I'm not opposed to drafting two interior linemen, but I have a slightly different strategy. I would leave Woody at RG and temporarily leave Raiola at C. I know you think he's too weak, but if he's used properly (i.e. blocking down... slants and such.. traps, and pulls) he can be very effective. I would draft an OG (Davin Joseph is my favorite this year, followed by Mark Setterstorm) in the third round, and either Mangold or Elsinger in the 2nd round. I would play the rookie behind Raiola for a year, and shop Raiola on the following year. There should be an immediate upgrade on the OL with the rookie LG replacing DeMulling/Kosier. Kosier was out of position and DeMulling didn't seem to have all of the right physical tools to get the job done. He too can be used in certain instances, but is not a complete OG IMO.

The best part is, we wouldn't even have to trade down to get it done. A trade down would be preferred as I would then take Hali or Huff with my first round pick to help the defense out, and that decision would depend on FA. Our ability to pick up Chris Hope or resign Kalimba (or sign one of the top DE's in FA) would be the determining factor. If we can get both spots filled MLB would become top priority, and should be given consideration as top priority (meaning evaluate the Holmes/Lewis/Lehman situation) regardless. Trading down would possibly allow us to draft both a DE and FS and still go ahead with my proposed plan of drafting two interior linemen, but I don't think it's a must. FA and our first round pick should be good enough to address the D. It's pretty solid as it is...

January 31st, 2006, 2:31 am
RIP Killer

Lutui will likely be selected ahead of Jean-Giles. Lutui is more athletic and has better fundamental skills and footwork than Max. That being said, I don't think either of them will last until the 41st pick. If either one is still on the board in the second round, Green Bay will likely snap one of them up.

January 31st, 2006, 7:52 am
Div 1 - Starter

using a first round pick for an OG dosnt make sense because they will be available in the second. i think Davin Joseph would be better. you dont need to be 350lbs to be good. Joseph is more mobile and more consistant. and i would rather see the lions only draft 1 Olinemen (hoping they pick one up in FA) so they can focus on Defense.

February 1st, 2006, 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]