View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pre-Combine Draft W/No Trades 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Pre-Combine Draft W/No Trades
I guessed on pick position because with the addition of comp. picks things get changed around.

1st round:
#9 Michael Huff FS-Texas (Not my favorite choice but if stuck with the #9 he fits a need and seems to be a good guy. I think he will end up with Detroit before Williams because Detroit seems to really like those Texas guys. He also is less likely to have problems with Marinelli and Henderson compared to Williams.)

2nd round:
#40 D'Qwell Jackson LB-Maryland (Could be a perfect fit into a Henderson/Marinelli defense especially with the two big boys in front of him at DT.)

3rd round:
#73 Andrew Whitworth OT-LSU (Can come in and take over at either RT or LG depending on where the coaches see him being the most helpful.)

4th round: No Pick

5th round:
#145 James Wyche DE-Syracuse (He has freakish physical talent and with a good combine should go much higher than this pick. But if available he gives Detroit a DE with speed and power that can play the run as well as he plays the pass.)

6th round:

#190 Marcus Hudson CB-NC State (A physical CB that likes to play close to the line of scrimmage and jam WR's. Marcus should be a perfect fit into Detroit's new defense and be a late round steal.)

7th round: No Pick

Top UDFA could be local college player TE Tyler Ecker who can be a do it all TE in Martz's system. Much like Roland Williams was when they were the greatest show on turf.

Detroit comes away with a solid draft with the only reach possibly being Huff in the 1st.

February 13th, 2006, 1:30 pm
Div 1 - Starter

pretty good draft. Huff is a reach at 9 though. we better hope someone falls to the lions (not likely) or trade down. If they do draft a DE later in the draft i think it will be Victor Ayendeju because he was coached by the lions new Dline coach. and i will have not problem with it, he is 6-4 270 and runs a 4.61, he is raw, but he is a hard worker and wants to be a good football player. with some good coaching he can be a fine DE. i think Marinelli will like this guy and really develope him.

February 13th, 2006, 8:57 pm
RIP Killer

and i will have not problem with it, he is 6-4 270 and runs a 4.61, he is raw, but he is a hard worker and wants to be a good football player. with some good coaching he can be a fine DE. i think Marinelli will like this guy and really develope him.

Sounds like Swancutt to me. We took two DE/LBs last draft - one got cut and the other wasn't active for a single game. I hope these guys (Swancutt specifically) turn out to be something decent...at least solid backups.

February 13th, 2006, 8:59 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Pre-Combine Draft W/No Trades
sweetd20 wrote:
I guessed on pick position because with the addition of comp. picks things get changed around.

1st round:
#9 Michael Huff FS-Texas (Not my favorite choice but if stuck with the #9 he fits a need and seems to be a good guy. I think he will end up with Detroit before Williams because Detroit seems to really like those Texas guys. He also is less likely to have problems with Marinelli and Henderson compared to Williams.)

2nd round:
#40 D'Qwell Jackson LB-Maryland (Could be a perfect fit into a Henderson/Marinelli defense especially with the two big boys in front of him at DT.)

3rd round:
#73 Andrew Whitworth OT-LSU (Can come in and take over at either RT or LG depending on where the coaches see him being the most helpful.)

4th round: No Pick

5th round:
#145 James Wyche DE-Syracuse (He has freakish physical talent and with a good combine should go much higher than this pick. But if available he gives Detroit a DE with speed and power that can play the run as well as he plays the pass.)

6th round:

#190 Marcus Hudson CB-NC State (A physical CB that likes to play close to the line of scrimmage and jam WR's. Marcus should be a perfect fit into Detroit's new defense and be a late round steal.)

7th round: No Pick

Top UDFA could be local college player TE Tyler Ecker who can be a do it all TE in Martz's system. Much like Roland Williams was when they were the greatest show on turf.

Detroit comes away with a solid draft with the only reach possibly being Huff in the 1st.

I like all these picks. D'Qwell and Huff would definately help to solidify our D. IMO Huff is the best DB in the draft. We SEVERLY need a FS. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that Holt doesn't cut it.

I like D'Qwell a lot. People are saying the same things about D'Qwell as they did about Jonathon Vilma and Lofa Tatupu. Vilma won the DROY award and Tatupu was a finalist this year. You can be an effective ILB at 6-0 225 these two prove it. Definately worth our second pick IMO.

(As far as DE goes IMO the only upgrade to what we have would be "Super Mario." If he (or hawk or D'brick) isn't there Huff or Justice should be the pick. Plus we have one of the best D line coaches in the league. It is safe to say the strengh of this team the last few years will improve even more.)

Whitworth I think is a dream to still be there in the third but if he is I say welcome for sure. Either way if our first two picks are D I think we almost have to draft the best O lineman available in the third. We need help at LG the most. Once again. If we can find a good LG it could make both Raiola and Backus better. I think Butler can be good in this league. He just needs time. Backus had a HORRIBLE year but I think he can start to grow as a player again under some very good teachers. We'll see. Find a way to bring in Elsinger or Mangold as well to replace Raiola ASAP and the draft will be a complete success. (Who else wishes we could have our 4th rd pick back?)

February 13th, 2006, 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]