View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Two dream scenario moves 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Two dream scenario moves
If the planets align just right here are two dream moves I'd love to see happen for the Lions. The first could be the most likely and involves the Seahawks. If Alexander leaves town they are going to be in need of a RB and to have a shot at a Calhoun or Addai two of the better top prospects that could be plugged right in to Seattle's offense they will have to move up in the 2nd round. To get there they can trade their 2nd and 3rd or their 2nd and 4th rounders this year and next year. They may be primed to make that 2nd & 3rd rounder move because they are so close and are going to want to get a top tier RB to step in for Alexander.

The second move is the big leap of faith and involves the Broncos. They are in cap overload and are going to have to dump players and extend contracts and as it is have to worry about paying two 1sdt rounders and a 2nd rounder. If they were to trade their two 1st rounders and 2nd rounder to Detroit for the #9 and Cody and Detroit's 2nd rounder in '07 they can solve a couple of problems instantly. They get a player with more potential than Warren in Cody to replace him at a bragain price of $310,000(they don't pay a signing bonus for him). They put themselves in a position to get a top 10 guy and only have to worry about his signing bonus instead of two 1st round guys and a 2nd rounder.

In return Detroit would have four picks out of the top 64 in an extremely deep draft class, without even figuring in the potential of the Seahawk trade. They could fill major holes without having to reach for somebody at the #9 spot.

Draft with only the Seahawk trade: Didn't look up actually spots plus they will change with the addition of comp picks figured into the order. So I just put in general numbers for about where they will be picking.

1st round:
#9 Michael Huff FS-Texas (I take him over Williams at FS because Millen seems to like Texas guys and he has less chances of butting heads with Marinelli.) Ngata, Williams, Huff, Justice, Greenway, Hali, Hill, and Davis are all choices around that pick but I feel are all reaches.

2nd round:

#63 Stanley McClover DE- Auburn (Speedy young pass rusher with room to grow. Could go higher or lower but if he would of waited until next year was looking at a 1st round spot.)

3rd round:
#73 Andrew Whitworth OT- LSU (In a different year without such a deep draft class at nearly every position including OT he could of been a 1st rounder. Instead he falls to Detroit in the 3rd where he can try out at LG or RT.)

#95 Tim Day TE- Oregon (Is another player that could go higher. He is a big guy that can catch and has the size to be a good blocker. Can be groomed behind Pollard and be what Roland Williams was in Martz offense when they were the greatest show on turf.)

4th round:
No Pick

5th round:

#145 Nick Reid LB-Kansas (A very good former S that is now an all around LB that can do everything. Nick is rangy, aggresive, and can cover as well as get into the backfield.)

6th round:

#190 Marcus Hudson CB- NC State (A CB that likes to play up close to the line and jam WR's. He could be an excellent addition to a Henderson/Marinelli defense and be an exellent late round steal.)

7th round: No Pick

The Denver trade scenario:

1st round:

#22 Ernie Sims LB-FSU (The player I'd most like to see the Lions get pre combine right now. He can come in play MLB although he has played mostly OLB and be a hybrid of Vilma and Brooks for Henderson and Mainelli.)

#29 Richard Marshall CB-Fresno State (Could be gone by this pick but is in my eyes teh best all around CB in this draft. He can come in and compete for teh #2 this year and at the least take the nickel. Then when Dre's contract is up after '07 he should be the #1.)

2nd round:

#40 Charles Spencer OG-Pitt (Can come in and play LG and/or challenge for the RT position.)

#61 Stanley McClover DE-Auburn (Same as in the Seattle scenario.)

3rd round:

#73 Anthony Smith FS-Syracuse (This pick could still be Whitworth but FS has to be addressed. Smith's physical numbers don't jump out but he produces. He is a "football player" and is very intelligent and constantly works to be the best. He not only makes adjsutments and improvements in practice and off the field, but also during games.)

4th round: No Pick

5th round:

#145 Will Montgomery OG-Virginia Tech (I don't know where he falls in thsi draft. He could go about here, a lot higher, or even later but hopefully it's here and Detroit gets a great player. He will offer depth at both G and C and can replace Raiola in a year or two.)

6th round:

#190 Tommy Jackson DT-Auburn (With Cody gone a more suitable "Big Daddy" replacement is found in run stuffing Jackson. He should garner his own fair share of double teams freeing up Rogers and fellow Auburn rookie McClover.)

Now the ultimate pipe dream:

1st round:

#22 Ernie Sims LB-FSU (See above)
#29 Richard Marshall CB-Fresno State (See above)

2nd round:

#61 Cedric Griffin S-Texas (Offers depth at every DB position and could potentially be the starting FS or take over for Kennedy at SS ina couple of years.)
#63 Stanley McClover DE- Auburn (See above)

3rd round:

#73 Andrew Whitworth OT-LSU (See above)
#95 Tim Day TE-Oregon- (See above)

4th round: No Pick

5th round:
#145 Will Mongomery OG-Virginia Tech (See above)

6th round:
#190 Tommy Jackson DT-Auburn (See above)

I still would like to get Marcus Hudson some how late in the draft. Sorry for the long post with so much information. But in the mock world the thought of these things being possible brings out a lot of information. The Denver one is too unlikely but I had to throw it in because I really like the potential that Sims could have in Detroit under Marinelli and Henderson. The Seattle one is very possible though as long as Alexander leaves Seattle.

February 13th, 2006, 1:58 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I can't see Millen changing his philisophies anytime soon. I say he draft's offense in the first

TE or OL

Trades up in the second to get the best defensive player on the board that s slipping FS or DE

and goes after BPA's from there on out

February 13th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
I can't see Millen changing his philisophies anytime soon. I say he draft's offense in the first

TE or OL

Trades up in the second to get the best defensive player on the board that s slipping FS or DE

There have been inclings suggesting he's planning to draft D with this years first round pick. I've read a few interviews with him that suggest that Marinelli and attention to our D may sway us in that direction... I wouldn't be so sure on the TE OL scenario... IMO there's no way we draft a TE with the #9... IMO there isn't a clear cut #1 TE, or a TE worth it...

I can see OT if somehow Ferguson slips or we're really impressed with Justice...

Still, for either position (TE or OT) I think we'll have to trade down to make the pick.......

February 13th, 2006, 3:13 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Ferris wrote:

TE or OL

There have been inclings suggesting he's planning to draft D with this years first round pick. I've read a few interviews with him that suggest that Marinelli and attention to our D may sway us in that direction... I wouldn't be so sure on the TE OL scenario... IMO there's no way we draft a TE with the #9... IMO there isn't a clear cut #1 TE, or a TE worth it...

I can see OT if somehow Ferguson slips or we're really impressed with Justice...

Still, for either position (TE or OT) I think we'll have to trade down to make the pick.......

I would say Vernon Davis is easily the clear cut #1

There are Alot of Defensive guys I'd love to have, and a couple on the offensive side of the ball as well. IF Ferguson did slip we would be idiots not to take him- forget trade bait - take him

February 13th, 2006, 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Ferris wrote:

TE or OL

I would say Vernon Davis is easily the clear cut #1

There are Alot of Defensive guys I'd love to have, and a couple on the offensive side of the ball as well. IF Ferguson did slip we would be idiots not to take him- forget trade bait - take him

I agree with you on Ferguson... There have been a ton of rumors about the Jets wanting to trade down... I would even CONSIDER moving up to get him... depending on what they want of course... the #1 problem with that is... what to do with Backus via FA... it seems that we should know whether or not we're going to re-sign him or let him go prior to the draft... the ability to pick up Ferguson would have to greatly alter that decision... Additionally, if you make the trade early (the trade up) you run the risk of the Texans pulling a wild card and taking Ferguson #1 over all... OL, after alll, is their biggest weakness....

As far as TE is concerned, I too really like Davis, but Lewis and Pope have a lot of upside and talk surrounding them as well... Personally I would rather pick up one of U of M's TEs as a UDFA or late late round pick... I think we can roll with what we got at TE if necessary...

February 13th, 2006, 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]