View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 11:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Great Blue North: AJ Hawk to Lions - Kiper says no. 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 6:20 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Michigan
Post Great Blue North: AJ Hawk to Lions - Kiper says no.
He would be my first pick but I dont see many others have him falling that far and I dont think he will be available either.

9 Detroit A.J. Hawk LB Ohio State
http://www.gbnreport.com/2006projection.html

Mel Kipers says no...
Quote:
Do you think it's possible for linebacker A.J. Hawk to slide to the Lions with the ninth pick? Or will they go offense again? -- Brian, Jefferson City, Mo.
Hawk won't be there. He's an intriguing pick for Green Bay, Oakland and San Francisco. The 49ers need help at outside linebacker, so Hawk won't last past the seventh pick.

The only way the Lions will acquire Hawk is if they move up in the draft, and that won't happen because their major needs are at quarterback, right tackle and defensive end. Cutler should be there when they pick. If not, they could take a tackle, but Ferguson should be gone by then, and that's too high to take USC's Winston Justice.

If they decide Cutler isn't their guy, maybe that pick becomes valuable to a team like Miami that would be willing to move up and draft the QB from Vanderbilt.

Detroit's thought process should be this: Take Cutler or trade down.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/c ... id=2322114

_________________
POTENTIAL is Nothing. PERFORMANCE is Everything.


Last edited by RussMan on February 14th, 2006, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



February 14th, 2006, 4:15 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2298
Post 
There's almost no way he falls to the Lions because all five teams directly in front of Detroit all could use him and would love to have him.


February 14th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
QB, RT, and DE?

Great job Kiper! How about FS, LT, LG, and DE? Considering we don't have anyone who can play LT if Backus leaves...idiot. He has apparently never watched a Lions game because he would have noticed that Raiola gets owned most of the time and having a small LG next to him, such as DeMulling or Kosier, doesn't help.

Kiper obviously hasn't done his hw on the Lions...again, he fails to impress.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


February 14th, 2006, 4:21 pm
Profile
BANNED

Joined: December 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Posts: 424
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
QB, RT, and DE?

Great job Kiper! How about FS, LT, LG, and DE? Considering we don't have anyone who can play LT if Backus leaves...idiot. He has apparently never watched a Lions game because he would have noticed that Raiola gets owned most of the time and having a small LG next to him, such as DeMulling or Kosier, doesn't help.

Kiper obviously hasn't done his hw on the Lions...again, he fails to impress.


Well hold up there, Backus has NOT left yet, and it is probably a very very good chance he will resign. cross off LT for now, there is nobody better in FA and its not worth spending our first round pick to upgrade him, he should get a nice offer to stay and he will take it now that we have Beightol and Martz.

Also you mentioned DE that he left out which he did not, its listed 3rd!

That leaves only LG and FS that he didnt cover, and he probably would have if he had to go to a 4th and 5th need, but he picked 3. Every team can upgrade every position in some way, but its not uncommon to look at the top 3 only for quick comments. Also, seeing as their aren't any OG's in the draft worthy of a first round pick, i think his analysis is DeadonBalls Accurate.

QB/RT/DE those are the positions that are 3 of the 4 biggest needs the lions have that are worthy of a number 1.

My order of needs is OG/RT/QB/DE, but since there is no OG, then for Round 1 discussions he has the same 3 i''m looking at just in a different order. Plus even though QB is a ? i want to gamble and play Harrington and go for OT / DE instead, but thats just me.

comments?


February 14th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 10:34 am
Posts: 1427
Post 
Quote:
Also you mentioned DE that he left out which he did not, its listed 3rd!


WOAH..........

He wasn't saying that Mel left DE off the "need" list...........but was stating what he perceived the "needs" to be.

In other words........he doesn't feel RT + QB are as big of needs as FS, OG, and LT.

Quote:
i think his analysis is DeadonBalls Accurate


I don't see the Lions taking a QB in round 1 at all.


With the pressure to get some winning done immediately.......I think the Lions may play that angle to increase the chances of a trade down (like "tha soldier" trade bait)..........but I can't see them picking a QB at #9.


Quote:
Well hold up there, Backus has NOT left yet, and it is probably a very very good chance he will resign. cross off LT for now, there is nobody better in FA and its not worth spending our first round pick to upgrade him, he should get a nice offer to stay and he will take it now that we have Beightol and Martz.


Unless the Lions put the "franchise" or "transition" tag on Backus........you have to consider this as much of a need as anything. Backus is NOT UNDER CONTRACT any longer as a Lion.......so without the tag........we have a hole at OLT until something develops.



Quote:
My order of needs is OG/RT/QB/DE


I think the order of needs really can't be known at this time.

IF Kalimba leaves Detroit.........but Backus stays.........DE becomes our #1 need immediately because both Marinelli and Henderson want to the D-line to attack.......and Cory Redding doesn't cut at a starting DE spot.

However......if Edwards stays and Backus leaves.......then obviously OLT is #1 need.


Just too much to be determined by FA to start this kind of discussion.


February 14th, 2006, 6:40 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10290
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
phunny - you summed it up better than I could. Thanks for saving me some time writing all that out!!!

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


February 14th, 2006, 6:51 pm
Profile
BANNED

Joined: December 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Posts: 424
Post 
phunnypharm wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
i think his analysis is DeadonBalls Accurate


I don't see the Lions taking a QB in round 1 at all.


Quote:
Well hold up there, Backus has NOT left yet, and it is probably a very very good chance he will resign. cross off LT for now, there is nobody better in FA and its not worth spending our first round pick to upgrade him, he should get a nice offer to stay and he will take it now that we have Beightol and Martz.


Unless the Lions put the "franchise" or "transition" tag on Backus........you have to consider this as much of a need as anything. Backus is NOT UNDER CONTRACT any longer as a Lion.......so without the tag........we have a hole at OLT until something develops.



Quote:
My order of needs is OG/RT/QB/DE


I think the order of needs really can't be known at this time.

IF Kalimba leaves Detroit.........but Backus stays.........DE becomes our #1 need immediately because both Marinelli and Henderson want to the D-line to attack.......and Cory Redding doesn't cut at a starting DE spot.

However......if Edwards stays and Backus leaves.......then obviously OLT is #1 need.


Just too much to be determined by FA to start this kind of discussion.


I said his analysis was correct, not that we would take a QB, Kiper's Analysis had QB as an OPTION and if he WASNT our guy, he mentioned OTHER options.

And Backus is MORE likely to sign with us than any other team combined, meaning he is MORE likely to be a Lion than to Not Be a Lion. And i dont have a problem with a transition tag either if we have to.

Agreed, we DEFINITELY have to be looking at DE if we lose Kalimba. But i think we can keep him too. KE and JB are our top 2 most important resigns.

Nevertheless, until any moves are made of new players or lost players thru FA we look at the analysis as if there are no changes if the draft were to be held tomorrow. And in that context, Kiper has the right idea.

Regardless of the FA moves, it will more likely than not still be our best bet by far to trade down in the draft. But i would not want to trade down until we were on the clock, just in case MW/AJ/DF or somebody like that doesnt fall first. Any team that's willing to trade up now would assume those guys to be gone and will offer same price now or later.

We must plan for the draft assuming no trade down as a continengy plan if we can't sell during the clock time. If we can sell, they will have plenty of options with multiple picks and a ton of comparable players to make good choices in any direction and plenty of time to work with.


February 14th, 2006, 7:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9864
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 14th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Profile
BANNED

Joined: December 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Posts: 424
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


agreed, he is definitely a tool, a tool of wisdom, well said.


February 14th, 2006, 8:13 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


And he needs a real haircut. I can't look at him without wanting to throw up. And he needs to learn how to pronounce "Mario".

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


February 14th, 2006, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Joined: December 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Posts: 424
Post 
bsand2053 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


And he needs a real haircut. I can't look at him without wanting to throw up. And he needs to learn how to pronounce "Mario".


i see so you dont like the man because of how he looks and talks, thats wonderful.


February 14th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9864
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
bigscottyz wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


agreed, he is definitely a tool, a tool of wisdom, well said.


I hope you're joking, because if you aren't you've lost all credibility. Kiper has so much information at his fingertips, and he continues to overhype some questionable players while downplaying other prospects who do very well. He's an idiot, a moron, a fool, a jackass........

And if you want to ask me if I could do as good of a job as him, I could tell you with a very straight face that I could do much better with less information available to me, and often do.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


February 14th, 2006, 9:37 pm
Profile
BANNED

Joined: December 10th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Posts: 424
Post 
m2karateman wrote:
bigscottyz wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


agreed, he is definitely a tool, a tool of wisdom, well said.


I hope you're joking, because if you aren't you've lost all credibility. Kiper has so much information at his fingertips, and he continues to overhype some questionable players while downplaying other prospects who do very well. He's an idiot, a moron, a fool, a jackass........

And if you want to ask me if I could do as good of a job as him, I could tell you with a very straight face that I could do much better with less information available to me, and often do.


fine then volunteer all of your draft information, analysis, mocks, anything you have as your opinion or work or thoughts on the draft and email it to me at bigscottyz@hotmail.com i'd like to see what you have come up with in preperation for the draft.


February 14th, 2006, 10:09 pm
Profile
Post 
bigscottyz wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
bigscottyz wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


agreed, he is definitely a tool, a tool of wisdom, well said.


I hope you're joking, because if you aren't you've lost all credibility. Kiper has so much information at his fingertips, and he continues to overhype some questionable players while downplaying other prospects who do very well. He's an idiot, a moron, a fool, a jackass........

And if you want to ask me if I could do as good of a job as him, I could tell you with a very straight face that I could do much better with less information available to me, and often do.


fine then volunteer all of your draft information, analysis, mocks, anything you have as your opinion or work or thoughts on the draft and email it to me at bigscottyz@hotmail.com i'd like to see what you have come up with in preperation for the draft.


I don't know if M2 will take you up on it or not... but you can find most of his thoughts concerning the draft right here on this board... and, I have to say, I think he is much more insightful and accurate than Mel Kiper...


February 14th, 2006, 10:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
bigscottyz wrote:
bsand2053 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Kipers a tool.

hat31.gif new_sleeping.gif tongue3.gif :retard:


And he needs a real haircut. I can't look at him without wanting to throw up. And he needs to learn how to pronounce "Mario".


i see so you dont like the man because of how he looks and talks, thats wonderful.


Be cool man. I was just adding on to what Mike said. I don't like Mel, and I was just pointing out other things that bug me about him.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


February 14th, 2006, 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.