View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mario Williams 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Mario Williams
I am seriously thinking he will be our guy on draft day! I hope this wasnt already posted. If not what do you guys think about this guy?

February 17th, 2006, 11:38 am
Post Re: Mario Williams
hansonrulez wrote:
I am seriously thinking he will be our guy on draft day! I hope this wasnt already posted. If not what do you guys think about this guy?

Most people on here, including myself, believe he will be gone by the time the Lions pick. I think he would be an awesome pick, and an immediate contributor, however I think he will be long gone by the time we're picking. That has lead many of us to be an advocate of Kiwi (Mathias Kawinika), but after a terrible Senior Bowl it has swayed my opinion away from him and towards Tamba Hali (if we must draft a DE)... The combine should help shake things out some, but for now I am leaning towards Michael Huff or Winston Justice.... Depending on what we do in FA...

February 17th, 2006, 12:04 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

dont you think #9 is a little high to take Winston Justice? Do you know if anyone has more than 1 pick in the first round this year?

February 17th, 2006, 12:10 pm
dont you think #9 is a little high to take Winston Justice? Do you know if anyone has more than 1 pick in the first round this year?

I don't think Justice is a "value" at 9... I think he's more worth a 15-18 range, but he's worth reaching for. From what I understand about the kid... He started every game as a Freshman, and they say that whenever he was on the field, he was always USC's best OLmen... I really think that Justice would be a top 5 selection in the draft if he would have stuck around for one more season... He and Joe Thomas, IMO, would have been the two best OT's next season...

Denver has more than one first rounder this year I believe...

February 17th, 2006, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

If Green Bay loses Aaron Kampman to free agency, he automatically becomes their pick. But at this point it would seem AK wants to stay in cheese country, and they want him back in a big way. They'll work out a deal. That leaves Oakland, San Francisco and Buffalo ahead of the Lions. NO WAY does Mario get past them all unless teams trade up to take players like Jay Cutler, DeAngelo Williams or Lendale White. Even then, if the Jets rid themselves of John Abraham, I wouldn't be surprised if they bypass D'Brickashaw and take Mario Williams instead. In other words, I highly doubt Super Mario will be available with the 9th pick unless he gets injured between now and the draft.

On Winston Justice:
Trust me, this guy is better than most people realize. A three year starter who protected the blindside of a Heisman quarterback and opened holes for a Heisman running back. How many offensive tackles can say they've done that in just three years in college? I watched Justice closely in the Rose Bowl and the guy just shut down anybody Texas threw at him. Bush and White were gaining yards running to the right much more than to the left. While I really like Michael Huff and Jimmy Williams, I think Justice will be a bigger impact player in the NFL than either. I wouldn't be surprised if Justice actually becomes a better pro player than Ferguson, as Justice is a more polished run blocker by far. The question is, will Justice fill a bigger need than Williams or Huff as either CBs or a FS? If we re-sign Backus, we could use Justice on the right side. But I don't think Butler played all that poorly in what was really his rookie season (inactive the entire 2004 season). Would Justice be an improvement over Butler? Absolutely. But I think Huff would be a bigger improvement over Holt than Justice would be over Butler.

All that said, my preference is Justice for the Lions. Then we can either use him at RT and move Butler to LG, or keep Butler at RT and move Justice inside. Our O-line needs help first and foremost, and a good safety can be picked up in rounds two or three.

February 17th, 2006, 1:08 pm
Site Admin

Mike...you are one of the most convincing people I know...please do not ever sell me Amway :shock:

February 17th, 2006, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Unless everybody goes for offense I can't see Williams being there at #9.

If your drafting an offensive lineman in the top 10 he better able to play left tackle. If not your drafting him way too high.

February 17th, 2006, 7:11 pm
They were talking about someone's mock today on Parker and the Man... I forget who it was but it was a local guy that made the pick based not on what he thinks we SHOULD do, but rather what he thinks we WILL do after talking to Marinelli and crew... Our pick was Nagata :evil: ... Hopefully the SOB is gone before we pick so we don't have to worry about it... I'll be sick if we draft a DT and render useless Cody, and our 4th rounder this year... Sure we could put him in the rotation, but he's not going to be happy here... He'll have very little chance of starting for 3-4 more years... And his agent has a leg up on us in negotiations because we've shown him how important/good of a player we think Cody is by trading up to get him... Nagata may end up being a great DT... but is a huge mistake IMO...

February 18th, 2006, 12:11 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

They were talking about someone's mock today on Parker and the Man... I forget who it was but it was a local guy that made the pick based not on what he thinks we SHOULD do, but rather what he thinks we WILL do after talking to Marinelli and crew... Our pick was Nagata :evil: ... Hopefully the SOB is gone before we pick so we don't have to worry about it... I'll be sick if we draft a DT and render useless Cody, and our 4th rounder this year... Sure we could put him in the rotation, but he's not going to be happy here... He'll have very little chance of starting for 3-4 more years... And his agent has a leg up on us in negotiations because we've shown him how important/good of a player we think Cody is by trading up to get him... Nagata may end up being a great DT... but is a huge mistake IMO...

I totally agree DT is definately not a need. I would think Marinelli and the rest of the Lions coaching staff would not let this happen, but I don't know how much they have to do w/ it? Although w/ the picks the last few years nothing would suprise me.
violent1.gif

February 18th, 2006, 12:23 am
Pro Bowl Player

I disagree with your logic. Cody was a true 2nd rounder, and plays hard every down, but would be much better suited for a backup role. Can you imagine how disruptive a pass rush Rogers and Ngata would be. Plug in any halfway decent pass rusher at DE and they'd already have the upper hand. Sure it negates the positivity of one 2nd rounder, but when you have an entire defense made up of 2nd rounders you have to make up for it somewhere, and the Dline is the best place to do it

February 18th, 2006, 12:25 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't see how you wouldn't consider it if Ngata fell. How often to 6'5 350+ DT's come out of his quality? It's rare, he's a premium, and there will be teams definitely wanting him. If this draft didn't have so many extraordinary talents in it, we'd be talking top 3 for Ngata.

We have a HC that is a defensive line coach known for getting the most out of his players. If he sees this beheamoth (spelling), and says "I can turn that man into Shaun Rogers", why wouldn't you take him? To fill a "need"? I disagree with that. Getting a quality player and indirectly addressing the need helps out a lot more than taking Michael Huff. I'd take Ngata over Huff, i'd take Williams over Huff, i'd take Hawk over Huff.

Shaun Cody, Dan Wilkinson, and Marcus Bell aren't justification for passing on a blue chip player. Cody and Bell are backup players, and Wilkinson, although coming off a great year, is over 30 years old, and his contract expires at the end of this 2007, meaning one more year for him.

The defense all revolves around your guys up front. You can get away with a poor secondary if you have a great D-Line. It's much more important to make sure we can fill that pass rush void before we worry about our coverage.

You take Ngata in a heartbeat. Unless one of the top 6 players are there (Leinart, Bush (yes, the Lions should take Bush if the oppurtunity presents itself), Young, M. Williams, Hawk, and Ferguson). I think that these 6 players, and Ngata, won't be avaliable at our selection. So it's up to management to sort through the lower tier prospects and select someone. The Huff, Jimmy Williams, Jusitice, Greenway, Davis, Cutler people.

February 18th, 2006, 2:07 am
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

I agree that if Ngata is there you deffinatly consider taking him and I would actually prefer that we do it. Big Daddy is getting old and his time is almost up, Cody im not sold on as an effective replacement I agree with the notion that he will be a good backup but also agree that he may not be a good starter. The cover 2 demands your front 4 to get a good pass rush, and Rogers and Ngata would be the most dominating interior line in the NFL for years to come in that aspect. Rogers already gets doubled alot and Ngata is also a player you slap two blockers on, the problem is if your tying up four blockers on those two players you cant adaquetly block the ends, let alone if we blitz a LineBacker or two with them. If we pick up Ngata you could hang cody out as trade bait to try to pick up another draft pick as well....maybe if were lucky someone bites for a 3rd rounder, I doubt it....but its deffinatly worth seeing if they will. Adding Ngata to this line would take the best aspect of our team to being one of the Elites in the entire NFL even if it were still just Edwards and Hall at the ends, the attention Ngata and Rogers will get would open it up for Edwards and Hall to have there way with QB's alot easier then they do now. Or if we go for a free agent end, then how does this sound for you.........James Hall/Hiloti Ngata/Shaun Rogers/Darren Howard, Edwards comes in whenever Hall or Howard needs a rest. With our head coach being one of the best D line coaches in the NFL to help make those guys even better, our line would be unstoppable and our defense would immediatly be great. Add Chris Hope to the secondary through free agency and id seriously cum :P

February 19th, 2006, 10:41 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Mario Williams
hansonrulez wrote:

Long gone, at #9. Would be awesome if he fell to us.

No brainer pick, along with Hawk, Ferguson, Vince =].

February 20th, 2006, 1:54 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I agree that if Ngata is there you deffinatly consider taking him and I would actually prefer that we do it. Big Daddy is getting old and his time is almost up, Cody im not sold on as an effective replacement I agree with the notion that he will be a good backup but also agree that he may not be a good starter. The cover 2 demands your front 4 to get a good pass rush, and Rogers and Ngata would be the most dominating interior line in the NFL for years to come in that aspect. Rogers already gets doubled alot and Ngata is also a player you slap two blockers on, the problem is if your tying up four blockers on those two players you cant adaquetly block the ends, let alone if we blitz a LineBacker or two with them. If we pick up Ngata you could hang cody out as trade bait to try to pick up another draft pick as well....maybe if were lucky someone bites for a 3rd rounder, I doubt it....but its deffinatly worth seeing if they will. Adding Ngata to this line would take the best aspect of our team to being one of the Elites in the entire NFL even if it were still just Edwards and Hall at the ends, the attention Ngata and Rogers will get would open it up for Edwards and Hall to have there way with QB's alot easier then they do now. Or if we go for a free agent end, then how does this sound for you.........James Hall/Hiloti Ngata/Shaun Rogers/Darren Howard, Edwards comes in whenever Hall or Howard needs a rest. With our head coach being one of the best D line coaches in the NFL to help make those guys even better, our line would be unstoppable and our defense would immediatly be great. Add Chris Hope to the secondary through free agency and id seriously cum :P

I wouldnt trade Cody for a 3rd round, but thats just me. I think he Warrants a mid to late 2nd atleast. but thats just me. He has starting potential and alot of great qualities, his speed compliments Rogers well. But Ngata is a beast and i def agree, Ngata/Rogers best middlemen in football.

Ngata is drawing alot of comparison to Rogers around the league. I might take flame for this, but Ngata may be better then Rogers in 3 years =/

February 20th, 2006, 1:58 am
Div 1 - Starter

Mario Williams will be gone by the 9th pick.

and i doubt Ngata will be available, Buffalo REALLY needs a DT, so Ngata isnt really an option. maybe he will be there if Buffalo fills in that need w/ a FA (Grady Jackson maybe?) and if that happens use him as trade bait. He is a top prospect, not a need for the lions, a need for other teams, trade down and get more picks.

February 20th, 2006, 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next