View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 15th, 2014, 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 2007 draft 
Mr. Irrelevant

IT is far fetched in that it has never been done and that like you said GM wouldn't do it. This is all that matters. Sure I would love the Lions to trade down until pick 13-19 and pick up a couple 3rd round picks and maybe more but I know it won't happen

January 30th, 2007, 4:45 pm
#1 Overall Pick

IT is far fetched in that it has never been done and that like you said GM wouldn't do it. This is all that matters. Sure I would love the Lions to trade down until pick 13-19 and pick up a couple 3rd round picks and maybe more but I know it won't happen

Hey.......at this point in the Lions history..............

it is also FAR-FETCHED that the Lions will win a Super Bowl any time in the next decade........but we still all have that hope don't we???

I've never predicted that any GM would use my plan of trading down multiple times............I've only maintained that it is feasible and it would work. I do realize I'll likely never get to find out though.....

January 31st, 2007, 6:42 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Didnt the 49ers do this a couple years ago...not form the 2nd overal but they traded down multiple times in the first

January 31st, 2007, 8:01 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Trading down is difficult just once. It can be done, Buffalo looked like idiots, but they got who they wanted and they had a better record than us.

January 31st, 2007, 8:47 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think Arizona, Houston and possibly Tampa are feasible trade partners with us.

If Tampa winds up at #4 and they think Cleveland or Detroit is going to take their guy I really think they would give up one of their two 2nd rounders to make sure they get their guy. Who that guy is right now I'm not sure.

Arizona needs O-line help and Thomas might not make it to #5. If we traded with them we could go after one of the top DEs or CBs and it wouldn't seem like as much of a reach.

Houston needs help across the board and I could see them moving up for Thomas or one of the QBs, maybe even one of the RBs. At #8 we could target the top D player as long as it wasn't an OLB or DT.

You never know what is going to happen at the combine and I will keep pounding this point home every year a team falls in love with some guy that they must have and will do what it takes to get him.

January 31st, 2007, 1:20 pm
RIP Killer

Didnt the 49ers do this a couple years ago...not form the 2nd overal but they traded down multiple times in the first

You are correct, young Jedi. The 49ers DID trade down twice in the first round, and were able to effectively do two years worth of rebuilding in just one draft. And Mariucci was head coach at the time.

In a draft where there seems to be few stand out talents, having a high pick actually INCREASES your chance of trade down opportunities. The secret is not to have too high an asking price. For Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Arizona to move up, they would have to cough up a second round pick with a later pick coming in return. For Houston to move up, they would have to offer their second round pick this year, and likely a first rounder next year. Possible, but hardly likely. Plus, I think Houston would only do that for Joe Thomas, and I just don't think he's worth that high of a pick.

January 31st, 2007, 6:56 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Look at last year the Houston couldn't get no buyers for Bush but they probably had a huge asking price.

January 31st, 2007, 7:19 pm
QB Coach

You may not think he's worth that high of a pick and I may not think he's worth that high of a pick but the question is does Houston? I think they know they have to move ahead of Arizona to get him. and if they want him they will do it. Would Tampa Bay or Cleveland move that far down? Who knows. If we ask for theie 2nd round pick, we could work it out.

I still think Tampa has the best ammo to move up because of two second round picks. If they really want CJ or Quinn (yes I know they signed Simms but I don't think they have confidence in him as the long term answer) and get afraid of Cleveland or us taking their guy they will pull the trigger ( this is all contingent on Tampa picking 4th and Cleveland 3rd but if its the other way they still cold move up one spot I just find it less likely) I would be happy with a second round pick to move down 2-6 spots.

I don't see Cleveland moving up at all. They will have their choice of at least 2 of Quinn, Russell, Thomas, AP or CJ regardless of if they are #3 or #4.

January 31st, 2007, 7:28 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Look at last year the Houston couldn't get no buyers for Bush but they probably had a huge asking price.

Actually Houston was desperate to trade down because they wanted Mario and found no takers.

One of the Tampa Bay papers reported that the Bucs are looking to trade down not up.

Cleveland is sitting pretty at #3.

Arizona might if they totally in love with Thomas.

January 31st, 2007, 7:56 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Houston never really tried to move their pick.

They wanted to stay at #1 because both New Orleans and Tennessee had ZERO interest in trading with them. Houston figured that if they went any farther down than that.......they would have no chance at Mario Williams or Bush.......who were the 2 players they REALLY wanted.

What is interesting is that the Jets talked with New Orleans above moving up from #4 to #2 to get Bush...........and reportedly offered the #4 pick plus the #29 overall pick. The Saints also wanted the Jets 2nd rounder (#35 I believe) in order to make the deal.

Quote:
Would Tampa Bay or Cleveland move that far down? Who knows. If we ask for theie 2nd round pick, we could work it out.

What if they only offer a 3rd rounder???

I think MOST people would consider it a no-brainer to move down to #4 if a 2nd rounder is offered.

The REAL question is...........would you take less........like a 3rd rounder in 2007 or 2008???

Or is there a player the Lions REALLY want at #2 that won't still be on the board at #4???

IMO..................there is little difference in picking #2, #10, #15, or even #20 in this draft. In fact..........the players who are EXPECTED to go in the #15 to #25 range are players that "fit" the Lions' schemes AND play positions of need.

So why would the Lions not AGGRESSIVELY offer a trade down...........instead of HOPING to work out a deal???

January 31st, 2007, 9:55 pm
QB Coach

Why use San Francisco as an example to follow?

San Francisco traded out of the 16th pick where Shawn Andrews was selected, a starter the past 2 seasons (missed the first due to injuries) and arguably the best linemen on Philadelphia's team.

They then later traded out of the 28th pick, where Chris Gamble was selected. Gamble has 16 interceptions in 3 seasons and has been a 3 year starter for the Panthers.

And who did they wind up with? RaShaun Woods. Lets just say that Woods has been less productive than Charles Rogers. That should tell you about the quality of the selection.

And what was the compensation they received? CB Shawntae Spencer and ILB Richard Seigler. Spencer has 5 interceptions in 3 years (compare that to what Gamble did) and Seigler is a practice squad/backup player who was cut by the 49ers and signed on with the Steelers.

Just be careful what you wish for. You better be sure that what you're passing on isn't as good as what you're getting. And in this draft, i'm not sure it is.

February 1st, 2007, 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

San Francisco traded out of the 16th pick where Shawn Andrews was selected, a starter the past 2 seasons (missed the first due to injuries) and arguably the best linemen on Philadelphia's team.

They then later traded out of the 28th pick, where Chris Gamble was selected. Gamble has 16 interceptions in 3 seasons and has been a 3 year starter for the Panthers.

And who did they wind up with? RaShaun Woods. Lets just say that Woods has been less productive than Charles Rogers. That should tell you about the quality of the selection.

And what was the compensation they received? CB Shawntae Spencer and ILB Richard Seigler. Spencer has 5 interceptions in 3 years (compare that to what Gamble did) and Seigler is a practice squad/backup player who was cut by the 49ers and signed on with the Steelers.

Just be careful what you wish for. You better be sure that what you're passing on isn't as good as what you're getting. And in this draft, i'm not sure it is.

I just remebered them trading down multiple times...but other then that I didnt remeber much else happening there

February 1st, 2007, 10:46 am
RIP Killer

The Lions have had top ten picks for the last six years. Has it helped them? Trading down and getting additional picks would help this team more. Just because Mooch and company blew the picks, doesn't mean that it must ALWAYS be that way, no matter who the team is. Why is it that a team like New England can have a low first rounder every year and STILL manage to come away with some of the best talent?

February 1st, 2007, 11:52 pm
#1 Overall Pick

The KEY to this is the QUALITY of the selections!!!

The 49ers had Terry Donahue as their GM.........who made LESS quality selections for the 49ers than even Millen has in Detroit. :shock:

For instance...........

at #31...........Donahue drafted Woods.

The next 3 picks off the board were Ben Watson, Karlos Dansby, and Chris Snee. All 3 have been solid players.......and you could make the argument that Snee has been consistently better than Shawn Andrews.

at #58...........Donahue drafted Spencer.

The 10 players off the board included Sean Jones, Darnell Dockett, Nick Hardwick, Nate Keading, Stuart Schweigert, and Keary Colbert.

at #127..........Donahue drafted Seigler.

Jared Allen was drafted at #126... so they were close to having a chance at him.

The 49ers passed on SS Gibril Wilson, OG Jake Scott, OG/OT Jacob Bell, OT Adrian Jones, Chad Lavalais, Michael Turner, and FB Mike Karney

As a sidenote:
Donahue also drafted a KNOWN underachiever in WR Derrick Hamilton in the 3rd round.............while he passed on Bernard Berrien, Jerricho Cotchery, and Ernest Wilford.

Berrien blew people away at the Senior Bowl with his speed.
Cotchery was a guy I like as a possible Lions 4th rounder......
and I know Slybri and several others even mentioned Wilford as a possible WR pick if we didn't get Roy Williams early.

And before anyone starts with the "hindsight is 20/20" speech............

I know several of those players were on the radar of many people here on this board. It didn't take a "PRO" scout to see that there was talent still available at ALL of those selections.

Chris Snee was my personal WISH pick for our 2nd rounder going into the draft.

Many of the posters here were hoping for Dansby to fall over Lehman.

Ben Watson put up freakish numbers at the combine......while Rashaun Woods was disappointing.

Sean Jones was discussed by many posters as a possible 2nd rounder for the Lions since we didn't get Sean Taylor.............and Schweigart would have made many people here VERY happy in early round 3.

Dockett was a guy that I couldn't believe fell past the 2nd round.

And even the last pick in late round 4..........

Jacob Bell was the guy I WISHING for in round 5 after watching him in the Senior Bowl. I actually would have hoped for him round 4 if the Lions hadn't traded their pick away.

Mike Karney also looked GREAT in the Senior Bowl as both a big-time blocker and had good hands.

And MANY people here were talking about Turner as our 3rd-4th round pick if we didn't get a RB early (i.e. Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson).

So yeah.............

I would have TAKEN Chris Snee, Sean Jones, and Jacob Bell at THAT TIME with those picks...............and I still would take the 3 of them...............ESPECIALLY for a rebuilding team like the Lions or 49ers at that time............over 1 player such as Shawn Andrews.

Just because Donahue was too dumb to make decent selections doesn't mean that the STRATEGY isn't sound. If a team doesn't trade down.....and has a GM that doesn't make good 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks with only the picks they start with.............then adding only 1 good player in EACH draft isn't going to help any team either!!!

February 2nd, 2007, 12:50 pm
QB Coach

The Lions have had top ten picks for the last six years. Has it helped them? Trading down and getting additional picks would help this team more. Just because Mooch and company blew the picks, doesn't mean that it must ALWAYS be that way, no matter who the team is. Why is it that a team like New England can have a low first rounder every year and STILL manage to come away with some of the best talent?

Because New England has a successful scouting staff, something the Lions have yet to find.

February 2nd, 2007, 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next