View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 2007 draft 
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
if the Lions took Joe...

I never meant to imply that Joe Thomas would be a good pick at #2 overall.................since I don't like Thomas as a prospect much at all.

Take a look at the thread titled "Joe Thomas Discussion" for my thoughtrs on him.

I'm saying that there IS NOT ANY PLAYER in this draft that I would risk a $25 million signing bonus on.

They need to take the best offer they can get to move down...........even if it doesn't match the so-called "value" of the #2 pick.

I don't see ANY "value" in paying HUGE money to any player in this draft.

I agree phunny. This IS WITHOUT A DOUBT, the most pathetic draft class of my lifetime. There will be precious few players, from this draft, that ever make it to the probowl. I seriously doubt that anyone, from this draft, ever makes it to the HOF unless they buy a ticket.

February 11th, 2007, 9:58 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Quote:
if the Lions took Joe...

I never meant to imply that Joe Thomas would be a good pick at #2 overall.................since I don't like Thomas as a prospect much at all.

Take a look at the thread titled "Joe Thomas Discussion" for my thoughtrs on him.

I'm saying that there IS NOT ANY PLAYER in this draft that I would risk a $25 million signing bonus on.

They need to take the best offer they can get to move down...........even if it doesn't match the so-called "value" of the #2 pick.

I don't see ANY "value" in paying HUGE money to any player in this draft.

you would rather use the money in free agency? an avenue that the Lions have faired worse in than the draft? but out of curiosity....who would you support the Lions drafting at number 2 if Matt made the decision to stay there?

February 11th, 2007, 6:14 pm
#1 Overall Pick

you would rather use the money in free agency? an avenue that the Lions have faired worse in than the draft? but out of curiosity....who would you support the Lions drafting at number 2 if Matt made the decision to stay there?

I'm looking at things in terms of building this team to be a quality team over the next few years.........not necessarily trying to fix EVERYTHING right now.

That mentality of trying to cure all ills at one time is what has set this team back repeatedly during Millen's years. He has traded up several times........but traded down only once........and he only did that because he traded down 1 spot.......... while still getting the player that gave him his stiffy. He still had AT LEAST one offer from Jacksonville because they wanted Roy Williams in a bad way. While I really like Roy a lot.........the Lions would have still been able to choose between Dunta Robinson, Jon Vilma, or Tommie Harris at #10...............AND there would have been plenty of talent in the 2nd round in 2004 to add another good player.

But back to the questions.............

#1...........would I use the money in FA???

Not necessarily all of it right away.

I believe in taking care of your own guys (who actually perform) first.........as long as they aren't looking to break the bank. Cory Redding would be my priority.........not only because he looked great at DT this year........but because he is one of the few guys who has really shown the FIRE over the last few years every game. He may not have been a big-time pass-rushing DE.........but I think he can continue his success in the Tampa 2 DT role.

I also do agree with the apparent strategy to pursue London Fletcher. He has years of experience in this system (1 in Buffalo, several with Lovie in St. Louis)..........and the LB core needs a leader.

I also think Kevin Curtis could be a good signing since he has produced in Martz' system (60 catches in 2005 when Bruce was hurt)...........and the Lions definitely need a reliable 3rd WR for this offense to be explosive.

I also wouldn't be disappointed if the Lions went after Jason David or Nick Harper from the Colts. I wouldn't break the bank on them.........but they do have a whole lot more experience in the Tampa 2 than our CBs do at the moment.

However...........I've never been a big fan of overpaying for average players as a way to build a team. I wouldn't MIND singing a few of these players.......but I wouldn't feel like we HAD to fill out the roster either because I would focus on building through the draft.

Besides..............it isn't like we have a bunch of money to spend anyway.

Using Sly's estimate...........the Lions are about $14 million under the cap (after assuming 3 low RFA tenders to Smith, Lewis, and Muhlbach).........before Redding is even considered. Assuming Redding signs a long term deal of about 5 years, $30 million ($12 SB).........that would leave about $11 million in cap space. Even IF they traded down like I want them to into the middle of round 1..........they would still need to save $4-5 million for the rookie pool.......

which will leave about $6-7 million for free agents......in a VERY shallow free agent pool.

#2..........Who would I support at #2 overall???

Nobody!!!

I'll still be a Lions fan...........but I'll be an angry fan.

I already have no faith in Millen........but maybe Marinelli and Martz will influence him to do the smart thing and trade down. If not.......then I'm expecting the Lions problems to continue for a MINIMUM of 3-4 more years before any improvement will be made........because the salary cap situation certainly won't get any better.

Drafting a guy in this class won't only affect our cap room this year........but a $25 million SB will have a HUGE impact on the cap situation for at least 4 years!!!

February 11th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Trading down looks much better today since learning this week that 3 starters and 1 key role player arent going to be back next year...but looking at this draft, it seems like a pipedream

February 16th, 2007, 5:12 pm
QB Coach

2. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame: A very productive college QB with all of the tools to be a solid starter. A polished technician with good arm strength, accuracy and touch, he will be knocked for his inability to lead his team to wins in big games. He may not be the franchise QB that some expect him to be, but he can be a solid starter on an offense full of playmakers. He is a borderline first-round prospect who will be taken much higher due to need.

Comparable NFL player: Joey Harrington

This is from an article on the Top 10 QB's. Thought it was an interesting take on Quinn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

February 22nd, 2007, 8:18 pm
Stadium Announcer

2. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame: A very productive college QB with all of the tools to be a solid starter. A polished technician with good arm strength, accuracy and touch, he will be knocked for his inability to lead his team to wins in big games. He may not be the franchise QB that some expect him to be, but he can be a solid starter on an offense full of playmakers. He is a borderline first-round prospect who will be taken much higher due to need.

Comparable NFL player: Joey Harrington

This is from an article on the Top 10 QB's. Thought it was an interesting take on Quinn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

I would not want to be compared to Joey Harrington if I was Brady but anyways if it was my pick at #2 I would take Jamarcus Russel if hes available and if not him the next top DE.

February 22nd, 2007, 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

My personal Tagrets in this draft would be:

1st round:
DE Gaines Adams
LB Patrick Willis

2nd Round:
OG Justin Blalock
S Brandon Merriweather
OT Joe Staley

3rd Round:
CB Tanard Jackson
RT James Martin
OG Tim Duckworth
QB Trent Edwards

4th:
DE Dan Bazuin
CB David Irons
OL Doug Datish
DT Baraka Atkins

something like that

February 23rd, 2007, 9:56 pm
I would take any of Paul Poslusnzy, Willis, Harris or maybe even Blades... We need someone fast and we need someone that can cover, but IMO all of them are starting material, and any of them would be upgrades over Bailey... who is NOT a MLB...

If we play our cards right I don't think it is too much of a stretch to end up with one of those MLB's, one of the top 3-4 CB's, and one of the top 3-4 DE's in the first two rounds of this year's draft...IMO all three positions are deep this year...

We could still get a very good OT/OG in the third round, and FA could bring us Gandy and/or Steinbach.

Damn... Wouldn't it have been nice if we drafted this way???

November 4th, 2008, 7:06 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I would take any of Paul Poslusnzy, Willis, Harris or maybe even Blades... We need someone fast and we need someone that can cover, but IMO all of them are starting material, and any of them would be upgrades over Bailey... who is NOT a MLB...

If we play our cards right I don't think it is too much of a stretch to end up with one of those MLB's, one of the top 3-4 CB's, and one of the top 3-4 DE's in the first two rounds of this year's draft...IMO all three positions are deep this year...

We could still get a very good OT/OG in the third round, and FA could bring us Gandy and/or Steinbach.

Remember, we traded out of taking Poslusnzy, but still had a shot at Harris. I think Harris would have been great in the T2 defense. But we traded down and took Drew Stanton with our pick. Oh joy! We probably could have had him in round three......if we hadn't traded up to get IAF.

November 5th, 2008, 10:48 am
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Remember, we traded out of taking Poslusnzy, but still had a shot at Harris. I think Harris would have been great in the T2 defense. But we traded down and took Drew Stanton with our pick. Oh joy! We probably could have had him in round three......if we hadn't traded up to get IAF.

I wasn't opposed to moving out of getting Poslusnzy... All I wanted was ONE of three... Was that too much to ask??? :cry:

It disgusts me to think about how much better we would have been with one of those three on our roster.

November 5th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Site Admin

Yeah but hey, at least we will have Stanton to start since Dan O is hur...oh wait...nevermind.

November 5th, 2008, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15