View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 10:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Draft Impact 
Varsity Captain

Post Draft Impact
First of all the formalities, Hello everyone new to the board here and I am impressed with what I have read so far. I read a bunch of random topics throughout the board and found the posts to be informative and well thought out, hopefully my posts will live up to your standards.

Now my question is with the signing of DeMullin what changes do we make to our draft plan? Instead of targeting a gaurd like Baas or Brown in the second do we still take Barron if hes available when we pick in the first and draft for depth in the second? Or do we draft for position with our first and wait for Adam Terry or Barnes to replace Stockar with our second?

March 17th, 2005, 12:57 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Welcome deadhead. Personally, I don't see an offensive lineman in the draft worth that high of a pick. I would look at trading down if I were set on taking a lineman. I think getting DeMulling helps their options, it just depends on what they think of Butler and V. Rogers. If the coaches think they are ready, it opens the draft up to the best available athlete, or trading for more picks. This is all dependent on their right tackle position.

March 17th, 2005, 5:06 am
RIP Killer

Barnes will be gone mid to late first round. He's up there with Barron. We still need depth at OT, DT, FS/SS, QB, and WR. Of course we could always use depth at DE due to contracts being up next year and the possibility of losing guys to FA.

IMO, we still do have some key holes, but not at starting positions (for the first time in many years) - at depth.

New England's defense was really good, with backup CBs. Was Harrison the only starter in their secondary in the Super Bowl?

March 17th, 2005, 8:34 am
RIP Killer

Welcome DeadHead! With the signings of Kennedy, Pollard, DeMulling, Rogers and Raiola - the draft for the Lions is wide open. I'm still very much in favor of adding an OL in the first or second round. First round, if they stay at ten, Barron seems the most logical choice. The Lions could also go DL with their first pick in which case I see them taking OL in the second.

DeMulling only signed for two years and Backus is a FA next year. While I like Bass and his ability to play guard or center, both Woody and DeMulling can also play those positions.

My biggest concern along the line is tackle. Backus could be gone next year and on the right side we have Butler (a 6th round pick) and Rogers (a 7th round pick), both of whom have seen little action. With all the offensive weapons on the team, it would be nice to have that stud tackle to pick up a few yards on short yardage plays.

March 17th, 2005, 10:20 am
Profile WWW
All State

hi deadhead - first post was a good one. i don't see the demulling signing changing the lions draft plans, unlike the kennedy and pollard signings. the lions still have to add more bodies to the o-line. all of the names you threw out are still possibilites for the lions in the draft.

March 17th, 2005, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

With supposedly a deep year in OLmen I think they should grab a couple at least in the later rounds.

March 17th, 2005, 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Let me start by saying that ALL of the signings made by the Lions will impact their draft plans. They no longer need to fill a position, but can now look at depth. The only position that MAY need a starter is ROT. It is my understanding that the Lions are pleased with Kelly Butlers progress, but they don't have to accept him as the starter just yet. Pablo makes an excellent point in the fact that next year Jeff Backus' contract is done and the Lions will have to think into the future at this years draft. Personally, the Lions really should trade down in round one. There really isn't a player they need that will be there, and they will benefit more from additional picks. If they move down to around 15-17, the best choices would be for a DE or for OT Jamaal Brown. Brown can compete for the starting ROT position immediately and has enough athletic ability to back up Backus this year and possibly take over for him next year. The Lions could consider taking a defensive end because Kalimba Edwards hasn't worked out, Cory Redding is a run stopper and not a pass rusher, and they will be impacted next year by free agency at that position. In the middle of the first round they can take any one of about three or four players who can suit their needs, or trade again to gain more picks. Pollack, James and Roth may all be there and I think would be worth the consideration. My favorite is Roth. He has great size and strength and is a ferocious competitor.
Despite his injury and the signing of Pollard, the Lions may still want to consider Heath Miller. Pollard is 33 and probably won't play out his three year deal, and Miller would have time to fully recover and platoon at the position for awhile.
In round two I like the idea of taking Brodney Pool if he falls that far, or taking a defensive tackle like Luis Castillo or CJ Mosley.
In round three the Lions need to consider depth at wide receiver. Courtney Roby or Terrance Murphy would be of consideration to play the slot for us.

March 17th, 2005, 4:10 pm
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Draft Impact
DeadHeadLion wrote:

Now my question is with the signing of DeMullin what changes do we make to our draft plan? Instead of targeting a gaurd like Baas or Brown in the second do we still take Barron if hes available when we pick in the first and draft for depth in the second? Or do we draft for position with our first and wait for Adam Terry or Barnes to replace Stockar with our second?

I think that's basically what the Dumulling signing means. That we aren't forced to target Baas or Brown in the second.

The Demulling signing puzzles me though. It's for only two years... so it doesn't absolutely rule out drafting a guard early. It doesn't have the impact that the Kennedy signing had in that it practically rules out targeting a strong safety like Shazor... because Kennedy is equally young as Demulling but has signed on for the long hall.

What does the Demulling signing have to do with maybe taking Barron? Probably nothing. The impact a left guard has on a right tackle is as much as the effect a Left Tackle has on a right tackle - next to no impact. So it won't change what the Lions plan to do with the right bookend.

The deciding factor would be... can Butler and Rogers man the right side? And would there be a bigger impact player available when the Lions are on the clock?

March 17th, 2005, 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Except that if the Lions Draft Barron at #10 it will be to play LT with Backus moving to RT.

Then next year the Lions could resign Backus or turn the job over to Butler or Rogers after another year of seasoning.

The question is how much of an upgrade is Barron over Backus at LT?

March 18th, 2005, 2:24 am
NFL Veteran

See that's why I can't even see us drafting Barron... he's a pass protector as much as Backus is. So great we'll have better pass protection, but usually the weakside (left side on offense) is the pass protector, technique, quick feet kinda guy protecting the blind side of the QB.

The strong side (right side on offense) is the run blocker, mauler, road grader, mean streak kind of guy. Even the stats for the lions show that we are a right handed offense - most of our productive runs were on the strong side.

Now the problem with drafting Barron is he's a left tackle. He shields the QB. Now what would be even worse in my opinion is shifting Backus to the right side. At least Barron has played on the strong side although it isn't his strength. He can still be groomed to be a right tackle. It wouldn't make sense to put Backus and start from square one developing him as a run-blocker and developing a rookie as a pass protector.

So it would seem to make even more sense moving down in the draft and taking Brown to be our right tackle since he has a mean streak.

Or even better... keep Backus as our left tackle and go to battle with Kelly Butler who has the size of Barron but has the road-grader mentality already.

March 18th, 2005, 3:16 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If the Lions were to draft Alex Barron he would not automatically start ahead of Backus, he'd have to earn it. And even with his talent, I doubt at this stage that Barron would beat out Backus to protect the QB's blindside. Barron would be competing for the right side starting spot.

March 18th, 2005, 8:20 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hey Mike, I liked your draft, but what happened with the Broncos at #90?

March 18th, 2005, 8:58 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

IMO we do not need to move Backus or get a new LT. We have given up t fewer sacks than any other team the past two seasons. I think we need to get a run blocking RT.

March 18th, 2005, 10:18 am
Head Cheerleader

IMO, we shouldn't trade down and we should take the BPA on defense. I believe the cliche 'Defense Wins Championships' (go Pistons).

At #10 I'd pick up either: a pass-rush DE (since next year three guys contracts expire), or a CB if Rolle or Jones fall that far down since last year Bly and Bryant kept getting hurt and our backups just cant cover at 1 & 2, or if DJ falls pick him up (Boss-man, Lehman, DJ....thats just too sweet).

Hopefully this is the last year we will have a top 20 pick (without trading up) for the next few years (hopefully ever), so lets take advantage of it and us it.

March 18th, 2005, 12:44 pm
RIP Killer

Hey Mike, I liked your draft, but what happened with the Broncos at #90?

The Denver Broncos have forfeited their third round pick this year because of salary cap indiscretions in the past.

March 18th, 2005, 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next