View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith? Who's #1? 
RIP Killer

Post Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith? Who's #1?
Since there is no clear cut #1 QB in the draft, who's the best of the top 2 QBs? Utah's Alex Smith or Cal's Aaron Rodgers? In addition, who should be the #1 overall pick as far as talent is concerned???

I've seen many mocks that have Rodgers going at #1 and Smith going at #3, and vica versa. Personally, I think Cleveland won't take a QB at #3 and the leftover will fall. So who's better??? I've only seen each one in limited action so I can't really make a legitimate guess.

Here's a quick analysis on each one accordin to nfldraftcountdown.

Aaron Rodgers, QB, California Ht 6-2, Wt 223, 40 4.71
Strengths: Picture perfect mechanics that are absolutely textbook...Amazing accuracy and can thread the needle...Very good arm strength and can make all the throws...Good touch and timing...Top intangibles and leadership qualities...Good work ethic and drive to be the best...Decent mobility and good speed and can throw on the run...Excellent pocket presence...Still has a lot of potential and upside.
Weaknesses: Has only average size...Needs to continue to add weight and get stronger...Had surgery on his knee before the 2004 season so durability might be a concern...Has only average athletic ability...Doesn't have a ton of experience and is still learning.
Notes: The latest prodigy from noted quarterback guru Jeff Tedford, following in the path of guys like Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller...Transferred to Cal from Butte Junior College where he was an All-American and was discovered by Tedford when the coach was recruiting tight end Garrett Cross...Burst onto the scene in 2003 and quickly established himself as one of the premier signal callers in college football...A premier pro prospect and potential franchise quarterback in the NFL.

Alex Smith, QB, Utah Ht 6-4, Wt 217, 40 4.75
Strengths: Extremely smart player...Has good height...A leader and field general...Accurate passer with excellent timing...Good speed and very good mobility...Top intangibles and a winner...Very efficient with a tremendous TD/INT ratio...Still getting better and has a lot of upside.
Weaknesses: Has enough arm strength, but not a gun...Stats are inflated because he plays in such a wide open offensive scheme...Plays out of the shotgun a lot...Some are concerned he is just a system quarterback...Could stand to add some weight and bulk up.
Notes: Entered college as a junior academically because he took so many advanced placement courses in high school, earned a bachelors degree as a 20-year-old sophomore and was working on his masters as a junior...Michigan St. coach John L. Smith is his uncle...Played with USC running back Reggie Bush in high school...Chose to head to the pros since coach Urban Meyer moved on to Florida and should be one of the top signal callers available.

March 14th, 2005, 1:54 pm
All State

i'm thinking rogers is a bit more polished and is a california guy, since san fran has the first pick i'd give rogers an edge to go #1 overall.

March 14th, 2005, 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Braylon Edwards going #1.

Quote:
49ers' Nolan holding his cards close
By Ann Killion
Mercury News Staff Columnist

Mike Nolan didn't tip his hand over the pepperoni Tuesday afternoon.

At a pizza parlor in a Sunnyvale strip mall, Nolan didn't say quarterback or receiver. He didn't say Aaron Rodgers or Braylon Edwards. He didn't say what the 49ers will do with the No. 1 pick in next month's NFL draft.

But he did indicate -- at a getting-to-know-you lunch between the media and his new staff -- that if he doesn't know yet, he's close to knowing.

``We've narrowed the focus,'' he said holding his hands far enough apart to hold a beach ball, then bringing them closer to softball size.

For now, the rest of us can only guess. But there are enough clues being dropped to assume that -- aside from the specifics of names -- the 49ers will choose either a quarterback or a receiver.

On the quarterback front, Nolan spoke to incumbent Tim Rattay for the first time only last week and has yet to sit down with him. He's spoken to Ken Dorsey a few times by phone. He said that he might bring in Brad Johnson and had thought about bringing in Trent Dilfer, until he signed with Cleveland this week.

The 49ers signed free agent left tackle Jonas Jennings last week to help strengthen their porous offensive line. If you're going to have a valuable commodity like the top quarterback, some added protection is a good idea. The 49ers are acting like a team desperate to upgrade its quarterback.

But the 49ers are also needy at wide receiver, and Michigan's Edwards may be the closest to a sure thing. Cedrick Wilson is leaving, thinning the ranks. The 49ers are so desperate they're even considering bringing in trouble: receiver David Boston.

I don't however think it's an argument when comparing Aaron Rodgers to Alex Smith. You take Rodgers. He is the hometown kid, and a much better prospect. Smith could be a complete flop in the NFL. The same could be said for the Tedford QB, in fact, i'm not a huge fan of either quarterback. But between the two, i'll take the guy who hit 23 straight completions against the nation's top defense in USC over someone who plays in an option offense.

March 14th, 2005, 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Neither one of these guys deserves to go in top 10. Both are good prospects but not extremely talented, the teams at the front of this draft have major QB issues though so they will get picked high. I think Smith will be the better player even though Rodgers has the better arm is just as fast and from more of a prostyle offense.
The best player in this draft is Mike Williams WR USC but he might not be the first guy at his position to get picked.

March 14th, 2005, 9:13 pm
RIP Killer

I don't agree that any QB in this draft deserves to be #1 or even in the top 5, I was only asking who was better since it's kind of a toss up between the two. I asked who should go #1 overall and who is the #1 QB, that's all - I wasn't saying that a QB will or should go #1 overall.

March 15th, 2005, 8:48 am
RIP Killer

I feel Rogers is the better QB right now, but Smith is the better pro prospect. With his athleticism and ability to make pretty good throws on the run Smith will eventually be a better QB than Rogers, IMO. Unless Smith has some sort of mental breakdown any of his 'problems' can be fixed through good coaching and an NFL weight training program.

As for who will be taken first as a QB, it will most likely be Rogers. San Fran and Cleveland need someone right now, not someone who will develop. They will be the teams most likely to select a QB in the top five. If San Fran takes Rogers, look for Cleveland to move down but still take Smith. If San Fran takes Smith, Cleveland stays at number three and takes Rogers.

March 15th, 2005, 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]