View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Merriman and my draft rant 
RIP Killer

Post Merriman and my draft rant
Why is it that Merriman is considered a 'tweener? He's bigger, faster and heavier than Erasmus James and James is considered to be the ultimate pass rushing DE in the draft. Merriman can bull rush quite well also, and he's bigger. I don't see how he's considered a 'tweener.

I have a couple mocks I'm working on and have us taking either DJ or Merriman. Basically it all comes down to Cleveland and who they take...and of course they pick at 3 so it screws up the entire draft. Only team who would really take DJ besides the Browns would be the Vikes and that would just piss me off. I hate the Vikes so much. So I guess one of my mocks is biased.

Thoughts?

March 8th, 2005, 11:59 pm
League MVP

Merriman played LB in college. James played DE.

March 9th, 2005, 12:32 am
QB Coach

Merriman is not a tweener. At the combine, he weighed in at 271, bigger than all the top DEs but Spears (who is more of a DT).

He is considered a tweener because he played LEO in college, basically a Outside Linebacker/Rush End position they have at Maryland.

He is a legit 4-3 DE prospect.

March 9th, 2005, 1:03 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

He generated 8 sacks from the LB position. Does he have the physical skills to get sacks from the rush end position in the 4-3? His size is not the issue. Does he have the build and technique to generate sacks. I am always leery of 40 time speeds being projected into sackmeister when they did not produce that many in college. If you had to chose between Merriman and Kalimba Edwards who would you pick (just looking at their measurables and college stats)?

March 22nd, 2005, 9:22 pm
NFL Veteran

I think Merriman did rush the QB from a 3 point stance as well as the 2 point stance.

But you sure know how to pour cold water on a prospect. I just envisioned Kalimba all over again. Eww. Scary.

Regardless, Yorick... I still like the guy.

March 23rd, 2005, 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

But you sure know how to pour cold water on a prospect. I just envisioned Kalimba all over again. Eww. Scary.

Whatever happened to him? He seemed so promising in his first year. I sure don't want a player that is compared to him.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]