View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wide Receiver, Cornerback, at the 10th pick? 
QB Coach

Post Wide Receiver, Cornerback, at the 10th pick?
I've been against selecting one of these positions in the first round, but after looking over the contracts of the players selected at the 10th pick, it's possible that we can indeed take Antrel Rolle, Pac-Man Jones, Mike Williams, or Braylon Edwards, if we truly want to go BPA route...

DUNTA ROBINSON'S CONTRACT:
5 years, 10.7 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1844725

TERRELL SUGGS' CONTRACT:
5 years, 10.9 million

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=8&c=1&nid=1136839

Basically, we are looking at a 5 year, 11 million dollar contract for our player. Hakim is receiving around that number this season, if not more.

If we cut Hakim, it's possible someone like Troy Williamson will be looked at with the 10th pick.

March 17th, 2005, 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It makes me shiver when I think about the possiblity of Williams or Edwards as our #3 :shock: That would be awesome.

Regardless, I would prefer Rolle or trading down.

March 17th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The Lions already have too much money invested in Rogers, Williams, Bly and Bryant. You are not going to spend that much money to for a guy to sit on the bench half of the time.

If they are the best player on the board when the Lions draft (I doubt Williams, Edwards and Jones will even last that long and Rolle gets mixed reviews) look for the Lions to trade.

March 18th, 2005, 2:19 am
QB Coach

The Lions are going into the season basically anticipating little out of Charles Rogers. They aren't expecting him to be more than a #2 man to Roy, if even that.

Currently, Chuck is a bust. He has played in about 5 games in 2 seasons. He hasn't made an impact. The fact is, the Lions can't rely on him as their #2 receiver... if they were content with him at #2, then why were Mason and Muhammad pursued?

Our depth at the position is awful... especially if Hakim gets cut. People were talking about bringing in a #4 receiver (such as Corey Bradford), whom I believe would make little impact. There aren't any real people on the market that could help this team.

If you are sitting at #4, and Williams or Edwards is sitting there (not going to happen), or even Troy Williamson, why not take him? The price for Hakim and the price of Williamson would be the same. You cut Hakim, add Williamson, and the cap works out.

As for either Rolle or Jones... I just don't think you can have too much depth at cornerback. How many times have we seen over the years teams convert on 3rd and 22? It scares me when teams have third and long. If Cash or Goodman aren't retained, then we will possibly have a hole in our depth of our secondary.

About trading... what if you don't find a partner? What if you have to pick? You can't just say "They will trade".. this draft is a sellers market and there aren't many buyers. There aren't any players teams are going to be mortgaging their future on like Eli Manning last year.

Who else would they pick at #10? A DE that they don't need? The bottom line is we are in a position to draft the best avaliable player to improve our depth. There aren't many positions that need depth help other than WR, DT, MLB, and QB. Drafting a WR would give us flexibility at the WR corps. We wouldn't have to rely on Rogers to contribute. We wouldn't be forced into putting the oft-injured Az-Hakim and Scotty Vines as our #2 and #3 WRs like last year.

March 19th, 2005, 1:59 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

The point was made that the contract of the #10 pick is similar to what the Lions are already paying Az Hakim. A substitution of such contracts would not be "too much money." I agree that a WR pick at #10 probably wont happen though bc of prior drafts but I dont think a CB is a bad pick especially if it is Rolle. Bryant and Bly are good but not elite. Nickel and 3 WR sets are increasingly frequent especially at the end of games, 3 deep at either position is important.

March 19th, 2005, 2:27 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I dont buy into the too much money at X position

If you can upgrade the position, add needed depth, then you take him, IF they are worth the pick. I have been outspoken as my choice is Derrick Johnson but if Johnson is gone which is very likely. If rolle, edwards, or williams are sitting there, I say gobble em up.

March 19th, 2005, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

Our depth at WR is terrible and I would much rather have a rookie like Williamson over Az (at his cap price), especially considering the future of CRog. Plus, knowing we have 3 stud WRs will be nice because they can rotate and stay fresh.

March 19th, 2005, 12:28 pm
Stadium Announcer

This is my first post to this forum, but I've been reading in here for a few months.

Brian has the right idea for this draft. Adding another high quality player pushes the lions in the right direction. Depth in the skilled positions is infinitely important for success. The lions should look to add the wide reciever that is a clutch sure handed bet. We've got big play threats and adding a player that is solid and is capable of making every catch that touches his hands would be a very helpful for a team sick with drop fever.

Adding a skilled defensive back is also another need. I've never been sold on Lion backups in the secondary and seems as if they're always out there. I believe Smith is a capable backup but the others are unreliable and drafting here would be very beneficial.

Knowing the progress of Butler and V. Rogers would be the determiner if the lions would draft OL. I dont see Barron or Brown being worthy of a #10 and the lions could get a possible trade down depending on who's left on the board at #10 and what the 15 to 21 spots are in need of.

It will be interesting to see what gets pulled off this year. Lasts year draft was perfectly orchestrated and im curious to see what they'll go for in '05.

March 21st, 2005, 12:49 am
Stadium Announcer

In my previous post I forgot to add the part that if DJ is at the ten spot, its almost unforgivable to not draft him.

March 21st, 2005, 1:35 am
RIP Killer

This is my first post to this forum, but I've been reading in here for a few months.

welcome to the LB forum Colei13!

Brian - your post to Leo is classic. Well done!

Of course, I have a few points of contention...

1) CRog - I see what you are saying about him but I still see it as simply a matter of health. If healthy, I think he is the Lions #1 WR with Roy at #2. He is faster, runs better routes and has much better hands IMO.

2) Contract - Az's contract is a bad one. I'm not so excited to replace one bad contract with another. It's only a good contract if the player is worth it...

3) WRs - if the Lions got Edwards with the 10th pick I won't argue. If Williams is there I would think about it (but I'm not sold on him yet). Troy Williamson would be a reach IMO at 10. In that case, I'm not liking the contract.

4) Depth - guess I'm not as worried about depth at WR or CB right now. At CB you have Bly, Bryant & Smith under contract. Cash and Goodman are RFAs. If they sign those two I'm pretty happy with the depth. They will add a 6th CB on the roster and are done.

WR it is not so easy. They have Roy, Charles and Az under contact. Az could still renegotiate if he wants to stay on the team, he knows he won't see his current deal.

They will resign Drummond (the 6th WR) and possibly Vines (as the fifth). Swinton is another possibility as a #5/backup KR. That leaves a #4 (or #3 and #4 if Az leaves). To me, that adds up to a second day pick. I'd like to know Hakim's situation before the draft.

Out of the top WR/CBs - if they are all there my choices would be:

1) B. Edwards - no brainer
2) A. Rolle - would go great with Bly
3) M. Williams/A. Jones - depends on who else is there
4) T. Williamson - perhaps in a trade down situation

March 21st, 2005, 1:59 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

The old adage is to draft a corner and/or wide receiver every year. Looking at how injuries plague both positions every year you can understand why. While it doesn't necessitate taking them high every year... the lions are in a situation that would probably warrant it.

At 10 I'd only touch Williams and Edwards. Braylon seems like the consensus first wr pick, leaving more of a likelihood that Williams be available. Which is fine with me since I rate Williams higher anyway. I just remember hating USC's guts for their dominance and Mike Williams just being unstoppable. He doesn't have the knock of dropping balls either.

Looking at the Corners... remember when Philly took both Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard in the first and second round? They already had the best Corner back tandem in the league. A lot of people thought their defense would stink this year. But the young corners proved their worth, and proved Philly to look like geniuses not having to re-sign two very expensive corners. Now there's a timing consideration... but it doesn't hurt to draft corners high, even when you already have pretty good ones.

March 21st, 2005, 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

IMO AZ shouldnt have a roll on this team and needs to move on. Injuries combined with not wanting to catch the ball over the middle takes any reason for keeping him. I dont see it worth prolonging his situation. With the importance of having a backup KR, swinton at #5 looks right, and with the departure of Hakim we'd be left with one spot to be filled. Chances are slim on Braylon at 10: and Williams could be an an ultimate posession reciever. Those two recievers are the only option at 10, but Rogers question of health and the non production of Hakim may call for one of them. quality depth is needed and we dont have it. T. Williamson from a low passing South Carolina team is dangerous despite his speed. trading down to nab a reciever may be an option if the top 2 are gone, but im not sold on Troy.

The secondary depth I still think is quality shallow and Rolle is a good take, versatillity and toughness. too many times have we seen games lost to big plays.

All in all, detroit needs to look for that Best Available if they stay at the ten pick.

March 21st, 2005, 3:13 am
Site Admin

IMO Bradford is a sucky 2nd WR and a barely adequete 3rd. Hakim is gone in most peoples opinions and CRog is a big unknown (btw Brian remember he did have impact...he helped us beat the Zona in his first game :lol: ).

March 21st, 2005, 10:33 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

CRog better than Roy? Close but no way, I am not even counting injuries against CRog. Roy is as smooth of an athlete as you will ever find. CRog is faster but Roy is better in every other way including polish, hands and especially after the catch.
As for adding a #3 WR, if the Lions do it they shouldnt reach for one like Williamson. It would have to be someone dropping like Edwards or Mike Williams. I prefer Williams over Edwards. Even still, they might be better off nabbing a defender or o-line in rd1 and rd2 and looking for a WR in 3. Roscoe Parrish and Cortney Roby seem to fit the mold of what we want and if Chris Henry drops to rd2 or even 3 he is a big steal. I disagree with the assesment that hakim is not giving a good effort. He played as tough as anyone on the team he just was layed out to dry too many times. When we were winning early in the season he was making plays. The QB is supposed to keep the WRs healthy. His contract should be restructured if we can use the money that would be saved somewhere else.

March 21st, 2005, 11:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Chuck might be a bust but the Lions are paying him like the second pick in the draft. Which means sink or swim they have to count on him again. The Lions inquired about Mason, Muhammad and even Burruss but never made a substantial enough offers to any of them to even come here for a visit.

Hakim will get cut because Detroit is not going to pay him double what he was making the last couple of years which was already over market value for a 3rd receiver. Whether he comes back at lesser rate is unknown at this time. Whoever the Lions sign I'm guessing the contract will be around what Streets got last year $800,000 which is far cry from the $2.2 million your suggesting which I?m not even sure if it includes the signing bonus.

You can never have too much depth on your entire roster! But YOU CAN HAVE TO MUCH MONEY TIED UP IN ONE POSITION. Which is the point you seem to be missing. At some point as contracts increase and somebody will have to be cut or not re-signed in order to free up money. Unless you can give one example where that wasn't the case.

As for depth at CB Cash and Goodman are both RFAs who have both already been given qualifying offers by Detroit. Which means they will be back unless somebody is willing to give up draft picks to sign them. Bly, Bryant, Smith, Goodman and Cash.

As for who are you going to draft at #10 I'm pretty sure at this point Millen is looking to draft someone for the DL where Detroit can still afford to invest more money.

March 22nd, 2005, 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next