View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wide Receiver, Cornerback, at the 10th pick? 
RIP Killer

I agree Leo. We definately do need depth at WR especially, but we can't afford to tie up another top 10 pick at that position. Granted CRog seems injury prone, we have to look at a later round to take a 3rd wideout. Taking one in the second round wouldn't be too bad if they are looking to cut Hakim. Or we can look to FA to fill the slot, in which case I would rather take one in the draft than in FA. Either way we still need a solid WR, whether he'll be #3 if Az gets cut or a quality #2 guy in case CRog or Roy goes down.

March 22nd, 2005, 8:21 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

...YOU CAN HAVE TO MUCH MONEY TIED UP IN ONE POSITION

I'm sorry Leo, but I have to disagree with you, at least a little bit. That is true if putting too much money on the one position is taking away money for better players in others. Also, in positions that don't get rotated too much, like QB and Oline. But most other postions, like WR, RB and all the defensive positions, have high quality talent behind the starters is a must. Just my not so humble opinion :D

March 22nd, 2005, 8:56 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Ok so Hakim is overpaid. Cut him! Joey is more overpaid, keep him regardless! Why is there a double standard? IMO, you restructure both.
As for the CBs, Cash and Goodman will have to make the team. the tender the Lions gave them is essentially a 1 year non-guaranteed invitation to preseason camp. It is not definite that they will be on the roster in '05. These players can be cut w/o detriment.
Too much cash at one position doesnt apply to us bc of our team composition. We have loads of players on 1st contracts, this is saving us money. LBs are getting almost nothing but all are promising and young on their 1st contracts. DL, of our rotation which is a very good one only Rogers is getting high pay. Hall has a reasonable contract, as does Wilkinson. Of the offensive playmakers Williams and Jones do not have outlandish contracts either. The Lions will have to spend big on these young players eventually and cost per position will even out but they do not have to do so yet. They should still try and fill weaknesses like WR by spending and drafting, adding players like Streets is inadequate. Drafting well now will allow them to cut excess salaries when the budget becomes a concern down the road.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:04 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Interesting point Legend, about resigning. I never thought about it since we haven't had good players recently that we had to shovel out the dollars for. And the good ones we had, Claiborne, Hartings, left in a heartbeat. Jones' contract will probably be scary when it comes to be resigning time.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:16 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Because Hakim only has one year left on his contract cutting him at this point you don't take a accelerated cap hit. You only eat the remaining signing bonus so it's cheaper to cut him.

By cutting Harrington now his signing bonus excelerates which means you would have to take a cap hit around 10 million this year. But if you wait until June 1st you have pay a roster bonus of 3 million first then split the remaining bonus over two years you still be taking 6.5 cap this and next year.

In other words Harrington's agent knew what he was doing his contract pretty much dictates that Harrington would be the Lions starter in the 4th year of his contract.

March 22nd, 2005, 12:29 pm
NFL Team Captain

Marcus Spears, #10. Move Redding to the inside, resign Bell. Look at Adam Terry OT in the second and pray Chris Henry WR drops in our laps in the 3rd. Grab a QB in the 4th and let's play ball. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

March 22nd, 2005, 5:44 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree with the general consensus that the Lions may draft a WR or CB at 10, however, I think that is unlikely for several reasons other than the fact that we have a large proportion of our salary already devoted to those positions.

My gut feeling is that the Lions will draft a DE. The reason for that is because that position tends to have an impact right away and the Lions need to win now as compared to letting a WR develop for three years which is what it normally takes. Also, a pass rusher is the one thing that could transform the Lions defense from average to top 10 by itself. This is an impact position that will have the largest cumulative effect on other positions.

The other reason to go DE is that there is no other team positively gunning for a DE. In fact the first DE may fall at #10. Also, there is a good supply compared to the last few years.

The way I see it the WR and CB scenario comes into play only as the result of mitigating factors. When the Lions pick at #10, if DJ is gone and the DEs left are not as good as players as the WRs, CBs, and RBs left and they cannot trade down. Here you have to make a decision: do you took the best player available or reach for your need at OT, DE, or some other place?

Obviously there are many scenarios and the top 10 is very fluid this year both because the top 10 is not as blue chip as usual and the top 30 is unusually solid. Trading down may be tough early and things could really play out in an unexpected fashion. That all adds uncertainty.

Still, the only WR or CB I can see us taking at #10 is Pacman. He is a legitimate cover corner and you can never have enough of those. Also, this would potentially enable us to put the clamps on the suddenly WR bereft NFC North. Mike Williams will be a good player but we need a slot WR at a cheaper price and there are so many talented WRs in college these days that from a supply side this position that a better fit prospect can be acquired later. Rolle could be inserted at FS, but he is not quick enough to be a cover corner. You can pick safeties up in the second round, so I would pick the rarer cover corner and move Bryant to FS or slot.

Some people like Barron, but if you put Stockar's heart in Walter Jones' body it still only adds up to McDougle. I would avoid that guy like the plague.

Unless Braylon falls which seems unlikely, I think Pacman is the only legitimate candidate at #10. That pick would transpire if the Lions could not trade down or get the DE they want: James or Pollack. In my mind, pollack would have the single largest impact on the Lions right away bar none. I know the pundits think he is mostly a late first rounder. He has amazing heart and explosion. You could not get a safer bet for 2 million/year at your position of need than that.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:05 pm
RIP Killer

I've seen Matt Roth play many times and I think he's a beast. The OTs also said he was the hardest DE to block at the Sr Bowl. I would rather take him over Pollack, but I'm biased. 10 is a big reach for Roth too.

March 22nd, 2005, 11:20 pm
NFL Veteran

Some people like Barron, but if you put Stockar's heart in Walter Jones' body it still only adds up to McDougle. I would avoid that guy like the plague.

Awesome. You couldn't sum up my reluctance to draft Barron any better. haha.

March 22nd, 2005, 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

The way I see it, you are replacing a bad contract of a bad player with a better contract of a much better player. I don't think too highly of Hakim, he just can't take the hits in the NFL.

I just want to make it clear that I don't think that CB or WR should be the focus with the 10th pick of the draft... rather if we are truly thinking of doing the best player avaliable philosophy then we should consider these players as well, as contracts aren't that unreasonable at the #10 slot and we can add a player.

Leo,

There was indeed an offer made to Muhammad, NFL Network reported that we offered Muhammad the same deal as the Bears, but he went there instead of here, because he could play and be "the man".

The Legend,

The difference between the Lions reconstructuring Joey and cutting Hakim is big. Joey is a QB, the leader of the team (arguable), and has much more upside as he is younger and ready to break out. He has more potential. Az is 28, has a fragile frame, and is a third stringer, not a starter. Getting someone else would be a better move, as you can improve upon Hakim.

conversion02,

Matt Roth was the hardest DE to block at the Senior Bowl, because the better defensive ends (David Pollack, Erasmus James, Shawne Merriman) weren't there. Spears was also solid senior bowl week, but Kiper didn't hype him as much.

March 23rd, 2005, 1:03 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Who was right? :D

August 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2