View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Smokescreen by Millen 
RIP Killer

Post Smokescreen by Millen
Millen is considering drafting Edwards according to Killer...this is nothing more than a smokescreen IMO.

Millen would consider drafting U-M's Edwards
Thursday, March 24, 2005
By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- While the NFL draft is still a month away and the Detroit Lions continue to do their homework, president Matt Millen admits his focus won't be nearly as narrow as it's been in years past.

In previous seasons, the Lions would target certain positions in the early rounds of the draft because they had such pressing needs. That's not the case anymore.

"In this draft, we go in with a very open mind," Millen said during a telephone interview Wednesday from Hawaii, where he is attending the NFL owners meetings.

"We have more choices because we have fewer and fewer holes (on the team)," said Millen, who will pick 10th overall in the first round. "We can move up, we can move back, but I like the position we're at. I can name 15 guys who can help us (with their top pick)."

And one of those names might come as a surprise to Lions fans. Despite taking wide receivers Charles Rogers and Roy Williams in the first round of the last two drafts, Millen said the Lions would not rule out drafting another receiver in the first round, including Michigan's Braylon Edwards.

There have been conflicting reports about Edwards' recent pro-day workout in Ann Arbor, but Millen said a lot of NFL personnel might be missing the point.

"I went to the workout and I didn't care what he ran (time-wise)," Millen said. "All I watched was how he ran, not how fast. I went there just to watch his movement, how he got in and out of the breaks. Some guys get bogged down in how high they jumped or how fast they ran. Put the (game) tape in, he's the whole game.

"Some guys thought he was great, some thought he was average. Who cares? The guy is a player and whoever drafts him will be very pleased with him."

Edwards will likely be gone by the time the Lions' No. 10 pick comes up, but Millen will be prepared for anything -- and anybody.

"I think we'll consider everything," he said. "We're at that point where we don't have to have any one thing. I want playmakers. If there's a playmaker who's sitting there, I think we consider him."

Millen said Detroit's interest in a receiver is not related to Rogers or Williams, who were both injured last season (Rogers was out for the entire season). Millen said both players are progressing very well and the Lions are counting on both to start in 2005.

There are several other players the Lions will consider in the first round, including (in no particular order) Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson, Florida State tackle Alex Barron, Virginia tight end Heath Miller and Oklahoma defensive tackle Dan Cody.

Once the Lions finally hear from wide receiver Corey Bradford (Houston Texans), they'll basically be finished with the first stage of free agency. The Lions have made an offer to Bradford to fill their No. 3 receiving position and are not looking at any other unrestricted free-agent receivers.

The Lions will try to fill the rest of their needs through the draft. If they don't get what they're looking for there, they'll re-enter the free-agent market over the summer.

It has been suggested the Lions might be interested in San Francisco 49ers tackle Scott Gragg if, as expected, he gets released in a salary cap move. It appears unlikely, though, that the Lions will pursue Gragg.

The Lions have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with unrestricted free-agent defensive tackle Marcus Bell, who played for Detroit last season.

With veteran free agent Kelvin Pritchett still pondering retirement, signing Bell was a key move for the Lions because he provides excellent depth at that position.

The Lions are one of the few teams in the league who now have four different uniforms. In addition to their traditional home and away jerseys, the Lions have the throwback jerseys (which they will wear on Thanksgiving Day) and now new black jerseys.

The black jerseys will be worn only twice this season, at two home games at Ford Field. The regular-season schedule is expected to be announced in about three weeks.

March 24th, 2005, 10:14 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

If they are considering Braylon then there could be something wrong with Rogers.

March 24th, 2005, 12:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

It depends on how you define "smoke". Millen is pretty much in the position of getting the best available athlete. If Braylon would drop, which is certainly a possibility, you would have to consider him-that is-not rule him out automatically. In the calculus of selection the health of all our WRs, his skills, and his fit into our scheme would come into play. The top 10 is very unstable. If you cannot trade down and Edwards is the guy that drops to you, you have to take a look at him. I think that is all that Millen is saying.

A note on blowing smoke: the best smoke is double think. It you in a Rovesque way entertain multiple contradictory positions that is the best way to cover your real intentions especially if you are actually open minded.

March 24th, 2005, 1:59 pm
RIP Killer

We have a better chance of DJ falling to 10 than Braylon. Braylon has been talking to all top 5 teams and is bound to go in the top five. Most people think he should be the #1 overall pick...he probably would be if SF's QBs didn't suck so much rectum.

March 24th, 2005, 3:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

He is just keeping his options open. If he said there was no way that he would take braylon, then if he fell, there wouldn't be any panic behind us about the possiblity of us drafting him. Like last year.

March 24th, 2005, 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Where I live I can't listen to Killer but from what I have read on this site about him I wouldn't want to and can't understand why anyone does. I have read all of the articles that I can find with Millen talking about the draft, and in none have I found where he says anything other than they are going into the draft with an open mind and will consider all positions with their first pick. If anything more than that is taken out of what has said, I would like to know what has made you or them form that opinion, unless there is an article or quote that I have missed.

March 25th, 2005, 5:03 am
RIP Killer

I've never been a Killer fan and I think he's a shmuck, especially after he was so sure that Joey was going to get cut. I always listened to what he had to say before the whole JH release deal which just kind of gave me reason to disgard everything he says.

March 25th, 2005, 8:28 am

If anything more than that is taken out of what has said, I would like to know what has made you or them form that opinion, unless there is an article or quote that I have missed.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1111662613164090.xml
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=409733

Millen wrote:
"I wouldn't mind moving up, and I wouldn't mind moving back," says Millen. "If the guy's right there, I am all for it. I have a pretty good idea of what we would like to strengthen and what holes we would like to plug. I like the position we are in right now, sitting at 10; and I like the people who could be available for us. I can name 15 guys who could help us right now."

I don't know if this answers your question at all. It looks like he is open to trading up, we might get DJ yet :P

March 25th, 2005, 8:57 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The Vikes might also trade up to get Edwards as well. I was just reading about how Tice "now recognizes the need for a WR." The article discussed how he would consider trading up to ensure getting either Edwards or Williams. Could be some significant trading in the top 10.

March 25th, 2005, 9:23 am

Could be some significant trading in the top 10.

I hope not. Maybe some jerks will trade ahead of us and take DJ. :evil:

March 25th, 2005, 9:34 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

No bsand actually it doesn't answer my question. All he is saying is that he is open to anything. I read the article when it came out, and read the quote you posted (same article) and all that I can see is that he is open to anything, moving up, moving down picking where they are and that there are 15 guys that can come in and help now. I just don't see where he says he wants to take any one player.

March 26th, 2005, 12:29 am

I think all Killer was saying was that Millen was considering him, not that he wanted him.

March 26th, 2005, 9:46 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Either way, what Millen said was pretty much worthless. I agree with Bsand that's he's just open to taking anyone, but will he when he's on the clock? I think RB at #10 is out of the question and taking a WR at #10 would be if Braylon or Mike fell and there was nobody else we have a need for. We would have better value out of Rolle, DJ, Pac-Man over a 3rd WR. Unless of course, CRog were to be bumped to 3 and the rook would be an immediate starter.

March 26th, 2005, 11:31 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Perhaps I am not looking into what Millen said as deeply as some of you. I think he was saying what a lot of people around here have been exciteded about. The Lions are in a position to draft the best available player. We dont have a "damn we need to fix this spot now" position. We have solid talent pretty much everyone on the team. Sure there are positions to shore up, and improve, and thats what the draft is for. But we can finally take the best available player.

March 27th, 2005, 8:44 am

I think Millen is trying to get GM's below him worried that he might take whoever they are high on before they have a chance, so they trade up.

March 27th, 2005, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next