View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 28th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 1st Round DEs 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Good perspective PT. Do you believe that Spears is such a playmaker? I would think players of his ilk would be available to a playoff team in the first round? The merriman speed rusher type usually goes top 15 and top 20 for sure.

March 29th, 2005, 12:26 pm
RIP Killer

With this years' draft, it's hard to say. The DE pool is quite deep and there are multiple really good pass rushers available in the first round. Normally, for a player of that caliber to be available to a playoff team, they would have to slide about 4 spots min.

March 29th, 2005, 1:12 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Good perspective PT. Do you believe that Spears is such a playmaker? I would think players of his ilk would be available to a playoff team in the first round? The merriman speed rusher type usually goes top 15 and top 20 for sure.

Yorick,

It depends on how you like to play your hand. If you are conservative, I would go with Spears, because you can always slide him over to DT if he gets to big. Plus speed isn't always the way to go for a DE to be effective (Reggie White), he used strength and leverage! If you want the speed pass rush possibility (as I would) then Merriman is your choice. He might over play the play here and there but with our group of LB's, that is a risk I'm willing to take.

March 30th, 2005, 8:49 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

You are right about Reggie White. I have not seen a player like him since. Strahan probably comes closest. We have seen quite a few talented and athletic DT come through the pipe.

March 30th, 2005, 9:02 am
Varsity Captain

There are pros and cons to each DE and none is a perfect stud to warrant a #10 pick IMO. Some just didn't play against top level competition...it's a toss up and everyone's got their favorite. Mine would be Spears in the first or Roth in the 2nd (if he were to fall which I doubt).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

March 30th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2