View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pollack, arrogant? 
RIP Killer

Post Pollack, arrogant?
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POLLACK PISSES OFF SCOUTS

A league source tells us that the scouting community has been buzzing about the behavior of Georgia defensive end/linebacker David Pollack at the Bulldogs' Pro Day workout on March 22.

Pollack, we're told, didn't actually work out, but he attended the session and strutted around, as one scout said, "like he was running for mayor."

Pollack also had a stopwatch around his neck, and was calling out the times of each of his former Bulldog teammates as they ran the 40-yard dash -- as if none of the other scouts had their own stop watches . . . and as if anyone cared what Pollack thought the numbers were.

Needless to say, Pollack's behavior and perceived arrogance didn't go over well with the scouts in attendance. Look for him to fall completely out of round one in next month's draft.

March 30th, 2005, 3:48 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=869

3rd post down

I hope this happens. It'd be a nice steal for the Lions in the 2nd.

March 30th, 2005, 3:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I see this being good for our sake because then we would have a legit shot at him in round 2,after that I see scouts giving him bad reports,but he prolly wont be a very good locker room guy would he??

Michael Huff for DROY

March 30th, 2005, 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I see this being good for our sake because then we would have a legit shot at him in round 2,after that I see scouts giving him bad reports,but he prolly wont be a very good locker room guy would he??

I'm not si sure I buy into that theory. Right now he is a stud for Georgia. On a pro team he'll be a rookie and brought down by everyone. Not too many rookies can carry their arrogance to far into the NFL.

March 30th, 2005, 4:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm not si sure I buy into that theory. Right now he is a stud for Georgia. On a pro team he'll be a rookie and brought down by everyone. Not too many rookies can carry their arrogance to far into the NFL.

I think he will always have that tude, even if the vets don't let him show it. From what I read here, he might be the kind of guy to go complaining to the media about something or other. Stay Away.

March 30th, 2005, 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Yeah, we don't need that kind of last year Jeff Garcia or Freddie Mitchell crap here in Detroit. Garcia won't be a douche like he was to the Browns last year though.

March 30th, 2005, 7:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Depends on your definition of "arrogant" and your scale for weighing it. If you make Millen the top of a ten point scale he measures about a 3? Sounds like a rat to me. Sign him up. If teams pass on him for that nonesense than they are stupid. Off the field issues, on the other hand I would take more seriously. But there is nothing there as far as I have heard.

March 30th, 2005, 7:53 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I just don't see him making an impact in the pro's. He may have the "motor that doesn't stop" in college, but the fact is......he's too small. That motor stuff and big heart stuff are great in college but how many times have we seen, it doesn't translate into great NFL players

March 30th, 2005, 9:01 pm

OK on your argument, but not its application. I think he is a speed rusher and he has the burst and power explosion. Remember he has a better short shuttle time than most CBs. He squated 600 lbs so he should be able to get low and anchor against the run. Short arms okay, but I think other than Erasmus James who may have a higher upside, he will be the best pass rusher.

March 30th, 2005, 11:43 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I politely disagree that he will be the best pass rusher. I think that the fact that he does have the short arms will be a huge disadvantage. As soon as one of the 320 lb. tackles gets their hands on him, and he can't keep them off because of the arms, his 260 lb. frame will come to a halt. Lets also look at the fact that he doesn't have the most technical game around and got by on his "heart" and "motor". In the NFL, nearly all of the tackles are technically sound and what may have worked against a tackle from Vanderbilt will not work against the Pace's and Ogden's of the league.

But let's keep in mind that I have never claimed to be a great judge of talent, otherwise I may get paid for my opinions.

March 31st, 2005, 12:45 am

Well, I have not studied arm length as factor in the success of college DEs and presumably you have not either? I do understand what you are getting at with the OL locking in, but I disagree that this would negate Pollack's Rush to the QB. For one thing, all succesful DEs need echniques to swipe away the arms and quickness and body movements to shake off the tackles blocks. Do "short" arms prevent this? I wouldn't think so.

First, as a general rule, I dislike the invocation of any unilateral flaw to discredit any possibility of success. Every prospect has negatives, and more often than not it is his "positives" that have prime bearing on a prospect's future production.

Second, I doubt that any universal rule of thumb exists regarding arm length. It is less of a barometer than say the 40 time. To me it seems a nebulous concept that has graduated to an unofficial short hand that tries to capture why some college DEs cannot make it at the next level. In fact, I suspect if you would go back you would see that it was not the shortness of their arms, but a medley of other factors like their lower and upper body strength, their quickness, agility, and pass moves that was probably a more predominant factor in their failure.

Third, although I agree that high motor guys without first rate skills have a lot of trouble in the NFL, especially at certain athletic positions like DE, I would say that in terms of both his quickness and strength, probably the most important measurables in my book (10 yd dash, short shuttle, squat) Pollack is an elite player.

Maybe some else has more data to contribute. I am having a hard time thinking of current DEs, their success, and correlating that with arm length, truth be told.

As you say, it will be interesting to say how these guys shake out in the NFL. I do not have the answer to that. I feel Pollack ranks somewhere between 14-20, but I would not be averse to taking him at #10. If we can trade down and still land him I would not be at all upset.

March 31st, 2005, 9:07 am
RIP Killer

He squated 600 lbs so he should be able to get low and anchor against the run.

That doesn't mean much. I've played against some kids highly recruited out of high school when I was at the Air Force Academy who were HUGE and could squat 500-600 pounds, but they couldn't move very well and didn't exercise that power. Then again, I've also played against people who could only squat like 400 and I thought were awesome, OL and DL.

Granted, Pollack has shown he is quick and agile, even though he lacks elite top end speed. My point is, a high squat means just that, squat.

March 31st, 2005, 9:14 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I guess that what it boils down to for me is one simple question: Can he be better than the 4 ends on the roster now? If he can't come in and immediately be better, I don't take him at 10. Detroit's front 4 (both sets) are pretty good, and there is a lesser need to upgrade that position than other positions on the roster. Detroit is in a good situation in that they have no glaring need, but some positions could use an upgrade, and I would not waste a number 10 selection on a position that is near the bottom of the "could use an upgrade" list unless there is a "sure lock" player at that position, and Pollack isn't that player.

March 31st, 2005, 9:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Detroit's front 4 (both sets) are pretty good, and there is a lesser need to upgrade that position than other positions on the roster.

Our pass rush could stand to be improved. We did get some nice sacks, but it wasn't consistant. I don't know if pollack can come in right away, but I think pass rush is the thing from keeping our D from being tops 10 in the league.

March 31st, 2005, 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Can he be better than the 4 ends on the roster now? If he can't come in and immediately be better, I don't take him at 10.

Great point. But Kamliba hasn't really impressed anyone and Redding is solid but is pretty much being used as a tweener. Hall of course proved his worth so I think he is set. If there is no real sure talent at 10 aside from DE though it will be a big temptation. There may have been no action on DLinemen at the 10spot and you know one of those guys is bound to be a great player. The question is who? Like with the entire DJ argument...if you know you can pickup a major difference maker even at a position that seems stocked can you pass that up?

March 31st, 2005, 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next