View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 2005 Draft 

The Lions Pick a Defensive End at 10 who would you want ?
David Pollack 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Marcus Spears 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Shawne Merriman 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
Matt Roth 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Dan Cody 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

2005 Draft 
Stadium Announcer

Post 2005 Draft
Pat Kirwan(NFL anylyst_) has some pretty interesting philosiphies about combine/Pro day numbers.

1) if there is .50 seconds difference between a players 40yard dash time, and there short shuttle that player plays as fast as his time. i.e. a 4.50 40 and a 4.00 short shuttle would be ideal. the bigger the difference the "Quicker" the player. And someone that runs a 4.40 40 and a 4.30 short shuttle has "track star" speed. This measure speed and quickness.

2) if you add a long jump, bench press(times at 225lbs_), and a vertical you want 70 or higher to be in the upper tier of players...i.e. a 40 inch vertical, 20 benches, and a 10foot broad jump equals 70. above that better, below not so great. This is good to measure strength and agility.

David pollack is way up there. He ran a 4.75 40 and a 3.90 short shuttle .85 difference

He also had a 37 inch vertical, 10foot broad jump, 25 benches 72

He is the only DE to excel at both and I think the best pick for the Lions D.. The lions love speed, hes got speed, strength and agility and I think next to Rogers...... watch out! but I want to know what you think too!

April 4th, 2005, 2:52 am
RIP Killer

I guess I haven't seen enough of Pollack's game film that impressed me. Then again, I've only seen 3 Georgia games. I just haven't seen many good pass rush moves from Pollack. Anyone have any highlight film?

April 4th, 2005, 7:50 am
RIP Killer

If the Lions were set on picking a DE, I woud be torn at this point. I like Merriman from a pure speed rush standpoint but like Spears size and ability to play DT as well. James injury history scares me away from him, but I like his skills probably more than the other two. Oh, the endless choices this year... :evil:

April 4th, 2005, 10:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If the Lions were set on picking a DE, I woud be torn at this point. I like Merriman from a pure speed rush standpoint but like Spears size and ability to play DT as well. James injury history scares me away from him, but I like his skills probably more than the other two. Oh, the endless choices this year... :evil:

My thoughts exactly. But we do kind of have the luxury of taking a gamble on a boom or bust prospect such as James. He has proven that he can be a relentless pass rusher and rock OTs worlds all day long, as long as he's healthy. I think we have the luxury of taking that gamble this year. Or we could take a safer pick who may not be AS rewarding. Then again, that's assuming we were to take a DE.

April 4th, 2005, 10:25 am
Stadium Announcer

The second I researched Erasmus James and saw the injury bug a red flag went up. Millen took Shaun Rogers on a gamble in the 2nd round, if James fell to the 2nd he'd be worth the gamble, but not at 10.

Last edited by LionsInsider on April 11th, 2005, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2005, 10:57 am
League MVP

I would avoid Pollack in the 1st round. I always watch GA games when I can bc DCoordinator coached and played at my high school. Pollack seems to have a big motor but not as much skill as you expect from a 1st rd DE. He really doesnt play that fast and his moves arent outstanding. I think Merriman, Spears, James and Travis Johnson DT are all better picks...Always plays hard though and is a very smart player...

April 4th, 2005, 6:17 pm
Stats Boy

Location: Houston, TX DOB: 10/29/1984 HEIGHT: 6-04 SEX: M ORGAN DONOR: N
I would pick Spears becuase I love his combination of size, strength, and quickness...Merriman had a good combine, but he has been criticized for his performance against the run in college...Pollack has great quickness, but his arms are too short to allow his to get an advantage against most NFL OTs, he'll probably be best utilized in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB...James shouldn't be a top 10 guy becuase he only had one good year in college, is injury prone, and had a disappointing combine...Dan Cody has good talent, but I wouldn't spend the 10th overall pick on a guy that has had bouts with clinical depression...

April 4th, 2005, 6:34 pm
Varsity Captain

As much as I like the DE prospects, I'd have a hard time taking one at 10.
Spears and Merriman are the closest to a 10 pick, but not my choice for a good fit. I prefer Roth or Pollack later in the first round, but if I had to pick a DE at 10 I would have to say Spears for his ability to be moved inside.

:arrow:

April 4th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Profile YIM
QB Coach

I'd say Merriman, because our defense requires us to rush the QB, and Merriman is superior to Spears in that category. We don't blitz, so we need a pass rusher off the edge more than a run stuffer like Redding and Spears, who are both DE/DT tweeners.

Only consider Merriman or Spears at #10...

The thing that scares me about Pollack is his arms. This really sounds nit-picky, but he doesn't have those long arms of pass rushers, and doesn't have an array of swim moves, rather gets away with pure effort and dedication. He doesn't have the making of an NFL DE.

April 4th, 2005, 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

1. Shawne Merriman - This should be James in my opinion, but his injury combined with Merriman's sudden emergence of athletic skill with added weight pushes Merriman to the top of my board.

2. Erasmus James - I think James could have been the top DE associated with the likes of your Julius Peppers, Julian Peters, Kearse and Suggs type DE's... but the injury just killed his stock.

3. Marcus Spears - he's big and athletic. Good enough to record more sacks than James by .5... however, he won't seem as fast in the NFL. But he will be a great run-stuffer.

4. David Pollack - Like Spears I think some of the things he could do in college he won't be able to do in the NFL as well.

5. Matt Roth - Has the motor of everyone ahead of him. Just doesn't have as much physical tools as them.

6. Dan Cody - May have the biggest motor of all... could be rated higher than even Spears... but, the depression history make for negative points in the intangibles department. Will he be able to deal with all that money... and then the sudden ease and access to negative things that he might use to ease his depression? I hate to be the judge of that, but it's a risk that will have me take my chances on the other DE's first.

April 4th, 2005, 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]