View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 26th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Silverdome Today 
RIP Killer

Post Re: The Silverdome Today
TheRealWags wrote:
Bring back the ! :shock:

My biggest of the memory of the Silverdome is from May 1978 and not Lions related. It was my first season playing organized soccer and my team got to play before a Detroit Express game. It happened to be the first game in Detroit for a guy name Trevor Francis. He was a good footballer who came over from my hometown (Birmingham, England - he played for the Birmingham City) and was the first ever £1 million transfer player. Because of this the crowd was pretty big, in excess of 20K.

My coach put me in as center forward, which I had never played. As such, I got the first kick and nervously kicked it back to our center mid. Back then you had to kick the ball forward on the kickoff so the whistle blew and the crowd groaned. Embarrassed I retook the kick, this time nudging it forward to another attacker and the game was on. It was fun playing in front of a crowd like that but my heart was pounding.

Years later I got to play in the Silverdome again when I played for Rochester Adams against Troy Athens. The crowd wasn't as big and in that game the last thing I remember was another groan from the crowd, this time just before I got knocked unconscious but that is a long story - as such, that my be my smallest memory and this time it was my head that was pounding.

As for the Lions, the two best games I remember seeing in person was the Lions playoff victory over the Cowboys in 1991 (Thumbs Up) and the Lions versus the Raiders on MNF in 1990 featuring Bo Jackson (129 yards/1 TD) and Barry Sanders (176 yards/2TDs) both averaging 7 ypc, unfortunately the Raiders pulled off a 38-31 win but I'll take a Bo/Barry game any day for entertainment.

Saw some big Pistons games there as well when they were the Bad Boys, some pretty good concerts and got to see the USA vs Switzerland World Cup game. Sadly, I didn't not get to got the the Super Bowl there in 1982.

One thing about the dome, the crowd noise was unbelievable for Lions games!

Did you know - the Silverdome is where some guy named Tom Brady made his NFL debut?

February 6th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: The Silverdome Today
Thanks for sharing Pablo. I remember watching that Lions thrashing of the Patriots and Brady coming in. He really looked pretty bad and just like the late round draft pick that he was. I was just crossing my fingers hoping he d get at least one completion (which he did) figuring it might be the only chance he got to play in the league.

February 23rd, 2019, 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2