View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Schools teaching our kids to be snitches and traitors 
Modmin Dude

Post Schools teaching our kids to be snitches and traitors
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7463631/

What kind of lesson is this sending to our children???

Quote:
Under the new policy, a student would receive $10 for information about a theft on campus, $25 or $50 for information about drug possession, and $100 for information about gun possession or other serious felonies.

first of all, doesn't seem like a whole lot of money.....

This is how I think it should be done....
Quote:
At nearby Rome High School, there is no similar program because students there have a rapport with officials and are comfortable providing information, said Superintendent Gayland Cooper.

?We feel the reward is the kids knowing they have a safe school,? Cooper said.

The teachers need to build a good working rapport with the students, not try to bribe them into giving information. I'm just not sure thats the message I want our children learning. Too much focus on money

April 11th, 2005, 11:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The "bribe" thing happens at our school too. I think it is good. If you call a certain number, it is completely anonomous and you can get 50 bucks. People don't use if for petty things. I agree that a rapport is good, but everyone would know if someone went to a faculty member and ratted someone out. The silent observer, thats what its called, lets people keep their school clean. Schools are different nowadays. There were K-9 dogs searching the place a while ago. They actually found steriods in a tennis's players car. I think its worth it. I would never use it for drugs, unless it was big, but its a nice service. That super. doesn't really know what hes talking about, on the surface, it may seem that way, but that seems like a Pleasantville thought.

April 11th, 2005, 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

You shouldn't have to bribe kids to get them to nake the proper, "moral" choice. I think that's ludicrous. I know that when I was in high school, kids would be lying all the time in order to get a little extra cash. I think this whole thing is pathetic. Society is going down the poop.

April 12th, 2005, 7:29 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It has to be verified to get the cash. Most people don't do it because they wouldn't feel right snitching on their friends, like I feel. But wouldn't you like to resource to be available if you knew that someone had a weapon and you thought they might use it? A while back, someone that went to my high school had brought a gun with him every day for a while. I don't know if anyone knew about it, but he ended up using that gun to shoot and kill a pregant police officer. I'm sorry, but I think its worth it. People don't use it for dumb stuff, and they sure can't lie about it.

April 12th, 2005, 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

Most people don't do it because they wouldn't feel right snitching on their friends, like I feel.

I understand not wanting to snitch on your friends, but as I've gotten older I have realized by not doing or saying anything about a serious incident makes you just as guilty. Peer pressure is very strong but it takes a stronger and courageous kid (or adult) to say something about their friend when their "friend" is doing something against the law. To many kids are worried about what their friend might think about them instead of doing the "right" thing. In the end, they'd feel much better about themselves if they did the right thing. No matter what the consequences. I just wish more people would stand up for what is right, instead of what is convenient. It takes a person of conviction and high character to do that!

April 12th, 2005, 9:06 am
RIP Killer

I think this whole situation plays out to the 'what's in it for me' type of thinking that some parents actually cultivate in their children. The idea that nothing is worth doing just because it's right or fair, but rather there has to be some form of monetary or material reward involved. Parents paying their kids to do household chores and things like that teach them this train of thought. 'I don't have to do anything unless I'm benefitting from it in a way I can measure.'

I don't agree with the idea that if the kids don't say anything they are just as guilty. Given to how some parents react when their child is accused of a criminal act, despite the childs history and attitude, I can understand the parents teaching their child not to say anything against anyone. I can see someone making an accusation in good faith, but being incorrect, and the parents getting sued for defamation of character by the parents of the falsely accused. Unless the school will guaranteeannonymity of the accuser, it could open up a whole can of worms and end friendships. Not to mention create legal headaches.

It's really a tough call, especially for a high schooler. I don't condone accepting drugs or guns in school, but I don't believe in hanging the witness who fails to report them.

April 12th, 2005, 9:56 am
Site Admin

While I understand the intent...often times the outcome is quite different. I had someone who prank called and threaten to beat up a particular kid...the kid put his dad on the phone and asked who it was and my name was given. Off to the principal for me :?

Not to long after another incident where this kid was threatened by someone...that I was going to beat them up :shock: well that was fricken news to me!!!! Another trip to the office. It was extremely bad and I had nothing to do with it yet now I had a bad reputation. I can see kids pulling crap like that on one another.

It seems to me that the profile for kids that commit the major crimes that they are attempting to prevent are recluses that do not communicate this stuff to others. It should be ingrained into the kids to want to report stuff for safety...this process makes it too easy to set up other kids IMO.

April 12th, 2005, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]