View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2018, 3:22 am



Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What to do about illegal immigration? 

What is the first thing that needs to be done in an attempt to resolve the illegal immigration issue?
Secure our borders 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Send them back 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Status Quo 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

 What to do about illegal immigration? 
Author Message
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post What to do about illegal immigration?
I understand the frustration that comes with a topic such as illegal immigration. I'm sure that we all can agree that it is likely impossible to gather up 12+million people, send them back from whence they came and to secure the border all at the same time. Something has to be done first. Let us know what you think.

Please PM me or respond with other viable options.

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 3:26 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
What should be done or what can be done. I agree with saying they SHOULD go back to their country, I just don't think spending billions of dollars and 10 years rounding up probably a million at the most if worth trying when you are going to have the rest chillin and making a big mess still.

I am for integration only because it is the only viable solution IMO. I'd rather let some people off the hook to get better results than hold a firm fist to millions of people that can't/won't just up and leave.

Sometimes there is give and take, when give results in a better result than take, I'm more prone to give.




Wags, I would suggest changing the list from securing our borders, status quo, and ship'm back and ad:

Secure our boarders, then integrate those already here into the society.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 22nd, 2008, 3:42 pm
Profile
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post 
steensn wrote:
What should be done or what can be done. I agree with saying they SHOULD go back to their country, I just don't think spending billions of dollars and 10 years rounding up probably a million at the most if worth trying when you are going to have the rest chillin and making a big mess still.

I am for integration only because it is the only viable solution IMO. I'd rather let some people off the hook to get better results than hold a firm fist to millions of people that can't/won't just up and leave.

Sometimes there is give and take, when give results in a better result than take, I'm more prone to give.


I understand all that, but what should be done FIRST? We have to start somewhere. Let's try not to get ahead of the very first step.

WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE FIRST AND FOREMOST???

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 3:44 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
What should be done or what can be done. I agree with saying they SHOULD go back to their country, I just don't think spending billions of dollars and 10 years rounding up probably a million at the most if worth trying when you are going to have the rest chillin and making a big mess still.

I am for integration only because it is the only viable solution IMO. I'd rather let some people off the hook to get better results than hold a firm fist to millions of people that can't/won't just up and leave.

Sometimes there is give and take, when give results in a better result than take, I'm more prone to give.


I understand all that, but what should be done FIRST? We have to start somewhere. Let's try not to get ahead of the very first step.

WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE FIRST AND FOREMOST???


Oh, that's easy, build a fence :wink: :lol:

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 22nd, 2008, 3:47 pm
Profile
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post 
steensn wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
What should be done or what can be done. I agree with saying they SHOULD go back to their country, I just don't think spending billions of dollars and 10 years rounding up probably a million at the most if worth trying when you are going to have the rest chillin and making a big mess still.

I am for integration only because it is the only viable solution IMO. I'd rather let some people off the hook to get better results than hold a firm fist to millions of people that can't/won't just up and leave.

Sometimes there is give and take, when give results in a better result than take, I'm more prone to give.


I understand all that, but what should be done FIRST? We have to start somewhere. Let's try not to get ahead of the very first step.

WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE DONE FIRST AND FOREMOST???


Oh, that's easy, build a fence :wink: :lol:


Ok, so you're for securing the border BEFORE we attempt to round anyone up. I'm with you. I believe that we need to stop the flow first.

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 3:49 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: March 6th, 2006, 1:29 am
Posts: 2490
Location: The Terrordome
Post 
By all accounts the fence is incredibly expensive and utterly useless. I think people like the idea of it more than the reality.

Create a path to citizenship that starts with a work visa--people have to apply and demonstrate their skills just as with any other visa. Those who are already here can apply as well, but they must return to their country while the application is pending and pay a significant fee.

Same goes with student visas--present a way to work authorization and eventually citizenship if person maintains their status and plays by the rules.

_________________
"If you worry about what the fans say, you’re going to be sitting with them."
-Jim Schwartz


January 22nd, 2008, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10057
Location: Dallas
Post 
I said status quo, but that was just given the two other options.

Secure our borders - would be costly and ineffective. The border is too long and it would cost way to much money to really secure it. Anyone really wanting to get in still could.

Send them back - would be costly and ineffective, again. Since you can't really secure the border you are just inviting them back in.

What we really have to do is stop giving illegals incentive for coming here. Start with the free health care since anyone that shows up at a hospital has to be treated. Second, stop giving immediate citizenship to the children of illegals who come here to have their children (at no cost). There is also free schooling for kids in the US. The list goes on and on. We have to start eliminating all these "perks" to illegal immigration if you really want to stop it.

My wife was from a border town in South Texas and worked in the hospital there - she tells me these stories all the time.

Now if someone commits a crime they must go. If they are here they should have no quicker route to citizenship than anyone else trying to get in this country and they should pay taxes on any earning made here. Those taxes should go towards strengthening our borders within reason.

Overall, I'm not really against all the immigrants. I live in Texas and we have a higher % of illegals than most states. We also have a stronger economy, fairly low unemployment, etc.. Compare Texas to a state like Michigan with virtually no illegal immigration. All the bad things most people are worried will happen due to immigration is happening in places without it - hummm????

For the most part they do the jobs "Americans" (a term that really includes anybody from the "Americas" which includes a lot of countries besides the USA including Mexico) don't want to do.


I've worked with illegals in the past, most are hard working folks trying to make a better life for their families and who can blame them for that. If I were in their zapatos, I'd do the same thing. Wouldn't you?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 22nd, 2008, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post 
lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:
By all accounts the fence is incredibly expensive and utterly useless. I think people like the idea of it more than the reality.

Create a path to citizenship that starts with a work visa--people have to apply and demonstrate their skills just as with any other visa. Those who are already here can apply as well, but they must return to their country while the application is pending and pay a significant fee.

Same goes with student visas--present a way to work authorization and eventually citizenship if person maintains their status and plays by the rules.


That's another one for Status Quo

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 5:19 pm
Profile
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post 
Something I just thought of and I'm sure it won't be too popular, but what about assisting Mexico (more efficiently than we do now) with strengthening their infrastructure? It seems to me that the majority of our illegal immigrants are from Mexico and that the main reason their coming here is to make a better life for their families (as Pablo said, who can blame them), so if we were to aide Mexico and help to make it more "family friendly" (for lack of a better term right now) then maybe, just maybe they won't have a reason to come over here and they'll stay in Mexico. Thoughts?

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 5:25 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
TheRealWags wrote:
Something I just thought of and I'm sure it won't be too popular, but what about assisting Mexico (more efficiently than we do now) with strengthening their infrastructure? It seems to me that the majority of our illegal immigrants are from Mexico and that the main reason their coming here is to make a better life for their families (as Pablo said, who can blame them), so if we were to aide Mexico and help to make it more "family friendly" (for lack of a better term right now) then maybe, just maybe they won't have a reason to come over here and they'll stay in Mexico. Thoughts?


You'd have to change Mexico completely. If you want Mexico to be the US, then basically Mexico would have to become part of the US and adopt everything.

There is just one thing you will never get around, cultural differences. I don't think the US could help change Mexico when it is shipping jobs down there for CHEAP labor. If Mexico created a min wage for imported jobs they'd stopany business from coming in.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 22nd, 2008, 5:33 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10057
Location: Dallas
Post 
steensn wrote:
There is just one thing you will never get around, cultural differences.


Tequilla, siestas, senioritas - who wants to get "around" that culture? Heck, lets adopt it for ourselves...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 22nd, 2008, 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
There is just one thing you will never get around, cultural differences.


Tequilla, siestas, senioritas - who wants to get "around" that culture? Heck, lets adopt it for ourselves...


Why don't you jump the boarder then :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


January 22nd, 2008, 5:48 pm
Profile
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post 
steensn wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Something I just thought of and I'm sure it won't be too popular, but what about assisting Mexico (more efficiently than we do now) with strengthening their infrastructure? It seems to me that the majority of our illegal immigrants are from Mexico and that the main reason their coming here is to make a better life for their families (as Pablo said, who can blame them), so if we were to aide Mexico and help to make it more "family friendly" (for lack of a better term right now) then maybe, just maybe they won't have a reason to come over here and they'll stay in Mexico. Thoughts?


You'd have to change Mexico completely. If you want Mexico to be the US, then basically Mexico would have to become part of the US and adopt everything.

There is just one thing you will never get around, cultural differences. I don't think the US could help change Mexico when it is shipping jobs down there for CHEAP labor. If Mexico created a min wage for imported jobs they'd stopany business from coming in.


I don't want Mexico to become US South, I want Mexico to upgrade its entire infrastructure. IMO its been run by the cartels for far too long, it's time for a change - come to think of it, why don't all these illegals unite to change their own country? (Isn't that what our forefathers did over 250 years ago?) Oh yeah, I know why...because they know that some dumb@$$ Lib in the US will do it for them or at least give them a handout.

As a side note - Does anyone know who are Mexico's allies? (besides us)

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 22nd, 2008, 6:08 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: March 31st, 2006, 1:19 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
Get out of Iraq, then invade & take over Mexico. Then turn a menacing eye towards Canada & demand half of their vast oil supplies as payment for "protecting" them. :twisted:

But seriously... first is secure the border. As far as the people who are already here ... I'm against amnesty in principle, but in the spirit of pragmatism I'm also against spending the huge amount of money to get such a large number of honest, hard-working people out of the country. Perhaps a good way to do it is to tell them they can all stay, with the caveat that we will "return" undocumented folks who commit a felony or are caught intending to commit a felony. The rest can be grandfathered, as far as I'm concerned - as long as the border is secured from further illegals coming in.


January 22nd, 2008, 6:58 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3056
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post 
Perhaps a good way to do it is to tell them they can all stay, with the caveat that we will "return" undocumented folks who commit a felony or are caught intending to commit a felony. The rest can be grandfathered, as far as I'm concerned - as long as the border is secured from further illegals coming in.

Actually, I think this is an excellent idea! With the number of immigrants coming in, most of them come looking for work. Unfortunately, they bring their illiteracy with them. The biggest problem that I see with the southern immigrants (Mexicans, Salvadorans, etc.) is there lack of attempt at assimilating to the culture. Instead of becoming "American" they set up shop in our home towns forcing us to blend with them.

In our area, you need to be bi-lingual to be considered for a managerial factory position, that's fair huh?

I like the culture, the food is excellent, and the upstanding people are HARD WORKING, but they need to assimilate.

I think that the U.S. needs to amend the law that states if you are born in a U.S. territory you are automatically a citizen. That needs to be struck down, as many barely child bearing age females are knocked up as soon as they cross the border. There is a lot of that here, and I can't understand that part of the culture.

_________________
Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2


January 22nd, 2008, 7:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.