View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2017, 8:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What to do about illegal immigration? 

What is the first thing that needs to be done in an attempt to resolve the illegal immigration issue?
Secure our borders 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Send them back 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Status Quo 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

 What to do about illegal immigration? 
Author Message
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3114
Post 
Quote:
I want a process that controls the influx of people coming into our country. I want process that limits even the "good" prospects that can read and write.


Why?

Immigration boosts the economy. Plain and simple. I have yet to see a convincing argument against immigration that doesn't involve a plea to laziness (not wanting to learn a new language) or racism.

Here's a solution: make them legal. All of them. Open boarders. Anyone who wants to come in with a clean history, can. They just have to go through a checkpoint and be documented. This way we could prevent all of the drug traffickers/terrorists/criminals from getting in. Then, we could give boarder patrol the right to shoot-on-sight any boarder jumpers. Illegal immigration? Wouldn't exist anymore.

Additionally, this would completely eliminate virtually any opposing argument to immigration. As American citizens they couldn't be paid under the table. They'd be receiving government benefits like everyone else, but they'd be paying full taxes. They wouldn't be sending money back to Mexico for their families, as their families would be with them here.


July 10th, 2008, 11:10 pm
Profile
Post 
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.


Not me!


I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?


How so?


July 11th, 2008, 3:15 pm
Post 
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
I want a process that controls the influx of people coming into our country. I want process that limits even the "good" prospects that can read and write.


Why?

Immigration boosts the economy. Plain and simple. I have yet to see a convincing argument against immigration that doesn't involve a plea to laziness (not wanting to learn a new language) or racism.

Here's a solution: make them legal. All of them. Open boarders. Anyone who wants to come in with a clean history, can. They just have to go through a checkpoint and be documented. This way we could prevent all of the drug traffickers/terrorists/criminals from getting in. Then, we could give boarder patrol the right to shoot-on-sight any boarder jumpers. Illegal immigration? Wouldn't exist anymore.

Additionally, this would completely eliminate virtually any opposing argument to immigration. As American citizens they couldn't be paid under the table. They'd be receiving government benefits like everyone else, but they'd be paying full taxes. They wouldn't be sending money back to Mexico for their families, as their families would be with them here.


Immegration does not boost the economy... Rising unemployment and additional people feeding off of the system does not boos the economy. There aren't enough jobs here as it is, I don't see how bringing more people here is going to change that.


July 11th, 2008, 3:17 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
I want a process that controls the influx of people coming into our country. I want process that limits even the "good" prospects that can read and write.


Why?

Immigration boosts the economy. Plain and simple. I have yet to see a convincing argument against immigration that doesn't involve a plea to laziness (not wanting to learn a new language) or racism.

Here's a solution: make them legal. All of them. Open boarders. Anyone who wants to come in with a clean history, can. They just have to go through a checkpoint and be documented. This way we could prevent all of the drug traffickers/terrorists/criminals from getting in. Then, we could give boarder patrol the right to shoot-on-sight any boarder jumpers. Illegal immigration? Wouldn't exist anymore.

Additionally, this would completely eliminate virtually any opposing argument to immigration. As American citizens they couldn't be paid under the table. They'd be receiving government benefits like everyone else, but they'd be paying full taxes. They wouldn't be sending money back to Mexico for their families, as their families would be with them here.


Immegration does not boost the economy... Rising unemployment and additional people feeding off of the system does not boos the economy. There aren't enough jobs here as it is, I don't see how bringing more people here is going to change that.

I agree 100%. If you want to see the effects of unchecked immigration on an economy, come check out Southern California. We've got more illegals here than almost anywhere, and it's no surprise that in the neighborhoods with the highest population of illegals, you've got more unemployment, more hospitals closing because they can't make any money when they have to keep providing services to illegals who can't pay for it, more crime.... etc....

There have been studies done that show that illegals cost the state of California BILLIONS of dollars. The argument that they keep the cost of a head of lettuce down don't hold up when you look at the costs associated with providing services that they haven't paid into the system for.


July 11th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: March 31st, 2006, 1:19 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.


Not me!


I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?


How so?


If my meaning of having to choose between the lesser of two undesirable situations isn't obvious to you, then it is hardly worth digressing here.


July 12th, 2008, 11:36 am
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3114
Post 
Quote:
Immegration does not boost the economy... Rising unemployment and additional people feeding off of the system does not boos the economy. There aren't enough jobs here as it is, I don't see how bringing more people here is going to change that.


I don't want to lecture on basic economics, but I guess I have to.

A capitalist economic system does well when it is growing. When growth slows or halts you get a recession. When growth becomes shrinkage you get a depression.

How does a capitalist system grow? It does this by adding in more customers, energy, and land every day. To succeed, GM must not only sell the same amount of cars it sold last year, it needs to sell more. If GM's growth halts, it will actually start to fall apart because it needs to grow in order to pay back the debts it has. This applies to virtually every company in a capitalist economy and to the economy as a hole.

Why do you think corporations push globalization? Why do you think there's a ton of economic growth right now in China, and not say Europe?

It's the people. More people to buy their products.

If 10 million people come into this country tomorrow, that's 10 million people that need homes. 10 million people that need cars. 10 million people that need to be fed...etc.

Immigration does not increase the rate of unemployment. Source: http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-imnative.html

Quote:
I agree 100%. If you want to see the effects of unchecked immigration on an economy, come check out Southern California. We've got more illegals here than almost anywhere, and it's no surprise that in the neighborhoods with the highest population of illegals, you've got more unemployment, more hospitals closing because they can't make any money when they have to keep providing services to illegals who can't pay for it, more crime.... etc....

There have been studies done that show that illegals cost the state of California BILLIONS of dollars. The argument that they keep the cost of a head of lettuce down don't hold up when you look at the costs associated with providing services that they haven't paid into the system for.


Most immigrants are not out of work, at least, less are out of work than US citizens. Source: http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/05/news/ec ... /index.htm

And yes, immigration costs some individual states billions of dollars, but the overall economic growth they cause counteracts this. A simple solution would be for the federal government to help states out with immigration costs.

As for the argument that they will not assimilate like immigrants in the early 1900's....first, bull--I don't believe it. My relatives emigrated to the US in the first half of the century and they lived in an all Italian neighborhood. While they did learn some English, they never spoke it well. To claim that immigrants who got here a 100 years ago instantly abandoned their native customs and learned English is revisionist at best. Total assimilation takes a generation or two.

But, let's just say that argument is right. That illegal Mexican immigrants are not assimilating like the immigrants of a hundred years ago. Well, my response to that is, can you blame them? Let's say you wanted to move to Canada, but to get there you had to sneak in while patrol agents attempted to find you and take you back. If you managed to get there, a large percentage of the Canadians would hate you for it, and make that known. If you wanted to get a job, you'd either have to get papers through the black market, or work for pennies on the dollar. You wouldn't be given citizenship, so you'd still be an American citizen.

Would you consider yourself a patriotic Canadian? I wouldn't.

If we expect these immigrants to assimilate, then must treat them with respect. Give them citizenship, and welcome them into our society. Then see what happens.


July 12th, 2008, 2:13 pm
Profile
Post 
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.


Not me!


I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?


How so?


If my meaning of having to choose between the lesser of two undesirable situations isn't obvious to you, then it is hardly worth digressing here.


I suppose so... You're just too damn smart for us Eric :roll: ???


July 12th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Post 
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
Immegration does not boost the economy... Rising unemployment and additional people feeding off of the system does not boos the economy. There aren't enough jobs here as it is, I don't see how bringing more people here is going to change that.


I don't want to lecture on basic economics, but I guess I have to.

A capitalist economic system does well when it is growing. When growth slows or halts you get a recession. When growth becomes shrinkage you get a depression.

How does a capitalist system grow? It does this by adding in more customers, energy, and land every day. To succeed, GM must not only sell the same amount of cars it sold last year, it needs to sell more. If GM's growth halts, it will actually start to fall apart because it needs to grow in order to pay back the debts it has. This applies to virtually every company in a capitalist economy and to the economy as a hole.

Why do you think corporations push globalization? Why do you think there's a ton of economic growth right now in China, and not say Europe?

It's the people. More people to buy their products.

If 10 million people come into this country tomorrow, that's 10 million people that need homes. 10 million people that need cars. 10 million people that need to be fed...etc.

Immigration does not increase the rate of unemployment. Source: http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/pr-imnative.html


Your article is simplistic and does not apply today. Immegration DOES in fact raise unemployment. There will be more "suits to taylor" and shoes to be made as more people come over here, that is a fact, but those aren't exactly the types of jobs that "grow" an economy. Further, you can't base an economy on sustaining yourselves. You can't have one guy washing one guys back and come out ahead. You CANNOT grow that way. Ford cannot employ more workers and have more people being able to afford to buy cars. The amount of money that those people make vs. the profit of selling ONE additional car, or even THREE additional cars (to their whole family) is NOT a net gain at the end of the day. The bottom line is you HAVE to manufacture something (unless someone else is willing to feed off of your services, and by "someone else" I mean another country, like we do off of India), and you HAVE to export things to have your economy grow. Bringing in more people doesn't grow anything, it only gives you more mouths to feed. Your argument is akin to the welfare mom that says "if I have another baby I'll get a bigger check." The check (or net gain) from having that additional person, isn't big enough to fill the void of the loss you get by adding the additional body.

If you really believe what you say, then explain to me why unemployment exists today. Tell me why the economy falters and goes down when we have all these bodies and all of these people HERE, jobless, waiting to go to work and struggling to find work, and glean onto me, my simple uneducated self that needs to be taught "basic economic principles" your brilliance, so that I can see the light and realize why we should let in MORE people without jobs and tell me how it is going to be a net gain for our economy... :roll:


July 12th, 2008, 6:25 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: March 31st, 2006, 1:19 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.


Not me!


I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?


How so?


If my meaning of having to choose between the lesser of two undesirable situations isn't obvious to you, then it is hardly worth digressing here.


I suppose so... You're just too damn smart for us Eric :roll: ???


No... it is just SO obvious that I was making a reference that the housing problem is so much bigger that this *other* problem of illegal immigration could actually be used to partially solve it (and that was in jest because not many illegal immigrants could affort the outrageously overpriced U.S. homes - especially in the southwest).

Who is "us" anyway? You got a mouse in your pocket? :lol: Or you just trying to make it seem like I was talking to more people than you? :roll:


July 12th, 2008, 7:15 pm
Profile
Post 
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
illinoiseric wrote:
I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.


Not me!


I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?


How so?


If my meaning of having to choose between the lesser of two undesirable situations isn't obvious to you, then it is hardly worth digressing here.


I suppose so... You're just too damn smart for us Eric :roll: ???


No... it is just SO obvious that I was making a reference that the housing problem is so much bigger that this *other* problem of illegal immigration could actually be used to partially solve it (and that was in jest because not many illegal immigrants could affort the outrageously overpriced U.S. homes - especially in the southwest).

Who is "us" anyway? You got a mouse in your pocket? :lol: Or you just trying to make it seem like I was talking to more people than you? :roll:


You make the "If I have to explain it to you than it's not worth talking about" argument often... Mostly to Steen, but it's annoying every time.


July 12th, 2008, 9:43 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: March 31st, 2006, 1:19 pm
Posts: 2570
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I suppose so... You're just too damn smart for us Eric :roll: ???

illinoiseric wrote:
Who is "us" anyway? You got a mouse in your pocket? :lol: Or you just trying to make it seem like I was talking to more people than you? :roll:


You make the "If I have to explain it to you than it's not worth talking about" argument often... Mostly to Steen, but it's annoying every time.


First, I don't use that "often" ... and second, I have the right to annoy and offend you if I do. :wink: :lol:


July 12th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Profile
William Clay Ford Sr.
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: What to do about illegal immigration?
SmartOne smells like Sly. Digging up an 8 year old threat.


September 18th, 2016, 9:09 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: What to do about illegal immigration?
SmartOne wrote:
Hello!
If you're going to leave your country, here is the informative and useful article about migration, follow and find out how to do it properly http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/essay-on ... mmigration


So you are selling your services that help college kids cheat? Nice.... :roll:

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 18th, 2016, 12:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.