View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What to do about illegal immigration? 

What is the first thing that needs to be done in an attempt to resolve the illegal immigration issue?
Secure our borders 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Send them back 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Status Quo 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

What to do about illegal immigration? 
RIP Killer

First, stop giving out welfare checks to anyone who isn't a valid U.S. citizen. Second, stop giving Social Security checks to anyone who hasn't paid into the system, or had a parent paying into the system that died prematurely (before 65). Third, force ALL paperwork, testing, etc. done by/for the government to be in ENGLISH, no other languages permissible. I hate the idea of someone who can't even READ a STOP sign to be allowed to take a driving test in another language. Fourth, secure the borders. Fifth, start rounding up illegals and ship them out with a promise that if they are found on American soil again under illegal circumstances they will be considered a foreign spy and will be summarily shot as such, without trial and without apology to anyone, including the U.N.

January 22nd, 2008, 7:41 pm
Team MVP

Securing the border is simple. More border agents. It's worked everywhere it's been tried. Hell, just last year they upped the number of border agents on a section of the border in California and Arizona, and the number of illegals spotted coming across those areas basically dropped to zero. So more border agents would be my first suggestion. Then crack down on employers who hire illegals. Make it so punitive for employers to hire illegals that none of them would want to do it, dry up the pool of jobs for the illegals, and the number of them trying to get here would decline further. These two things are the simplest way to start in my opinion.

January 22nd, 2008, 9:25 pm
Megatron

Perhaps a good way to do it is to tell them they can all stay, with the caveat that we will "return" undocumented folks who commit a felony or are caught intending to commit a felony. The rest can be grandfathered, as far as I'm concerned - as long as the border is secured from further illegals coming in.

Actually, I think this is an excellent idea! With the number of immigrants coming in, most of them come looking for work. Unfortunately, they bring their illiteracy with them. The biggest problem that I see with the southern immigrants (Mexicans, Salvadorans, etc.) is there lack of attempt at assimilating to the culture. Instead of becoming "American" they set up shop in our home towns forcing us to blend with them.

In our area, you need to be bi-lingual to be considered for a managerial factory position, that's fair huh?

I like the culture, the food is excellent, and the upstanding people are HARD WORKING, but they need to assimilate.

I think that the U.S. needs to amend the law that states if you are born in a U.S. territory you are automatically a citizen. That needs to be struck down, as many barely child bearing age females are knocked up as soon as they cross the border. There is a lot of that here, and I can't understand that part of the culture.

I agree with you both. That is one of the most reasonable, honest ideas I've heard on the issue illinoiseric. IMO it would be just too costly to ship all 12+mil out and I don't feel like paying for it. If some of you others would like to pay my share, go for it. I'm sure we can get some sort of legal document advising the govt that you'll pay my taxes until they're all gone. :wink:

DevilDoc, You bring up another thing that's been pissing me off. Why in the hell do I have to press 1 to communicate in English? Why? Is there any other country where you can press ## for English? I would guess, NO. My feeling on it is (I believe) similar to DevilDoc's. My catering to one group of immigrants on the language, then you have a greater chance that they will not assimilate into and with the rest of the country. I live in Arizona and there are 'little Mexico's' everywhere. I can understand having the option to speak a different language, but to have govt docs printed in Spanish? WTF? I had to make sure that I could read and write English in order for me to get my driver's license, enter the USMC and do any other work with the Govt. If I can do it anyone else can.

Which, sort of, leads me to another thing....Why is it that there is apparently only one other language (besides English) that business is conducted in? If I have to press 1 for English and a Spanish speaker has to press (say) 2, why doesn't the German speaker get to press 3, French 4, Polish 5, etc?

January 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Switzerland has three official languages and they do just fine.

TheRealWags wrote:
DevilDoc wrote:
Perhaps a good way to do it is to tell them they can all stay, with the caveat that we will "return" undocumented folks who commit a felony or are caught intending to commit a felony. The rest can be grandfathered, as far as I'm concerned - as long as the border is secured from further illegals coming in.

Actually, I think this is an excellent idea! With the number of immigrants coming in, most of them come looking for work. Unfortunately, they bring their illiteracy with them. The biggest problem that I see with the southern immigrants (Mexicans, Salvadorans, etc.) is there lack of attempt at assimilating to the culture. Instead of becoming "American" they set up shop in our home towns forcing us to blend with them.

In our area, you need to be bi-lingual to be considered for a managerial factory position, that's fair huh?

I like the culture, the food is excellent, and the upstanding people are HARD WORKING, but they need to assimilate.

I think that the U.S. needs to amend the law that states if you are born in a U.S. territory you are automatically a citizen. That needs to be struck down, as many barely child bearing age females are knocked up as soon as they cross the border. There is a lot of that here, and I can't understand that part of the culture.

I agree with you both. That is one of the most reasonable, honest ideas I've heard on the issue illinoiseric. IMO it would be just too costly to ship all 12+mil out and I don't feel like paying for it. If some of you others would like to pay my share, go for it. I'm sure we can get some sort of legal document advising the govt that you'll pay my taxes until they're all gone. :wink:

DevilDoc, You bring up another thing that's been pissing me off. Why in the hell do I have to press 1 to communicate in English? Why? Is there any other country where you can press ## for English? I would guess, NO. My feeling on it is (I believe) similar to DevilDoc's. My catering to one group of immigrants on the language, then you have a greater chance that they will not assimilate into and with the rest of the country. I live in Arizona and there are 'little Mexico's' everywhere. I can understand having the option to speak a different language, but to have govt docs printed in Spanish? WTF? I had to make sure that I could read and write English in order for me to get my driver's license, enter the USMC and do any other work with the Govt. If I can do it anyone else can.

Which, sort of, leads me to another thing....Why is it that there is apparently only one other language (besides English) that business is conducted in? If I have to press 1 for English and a Spanish speaker has to press (say) 2, why doesn't the German speaker get to press 3, French 4, Polish 5, etc?

January 23rd, 2008, 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Megatron

Switzerland has three official languages and they do just fine.

(Actually I believe it's 4) No offense, but I don't really give a rats @$$ about how Switzerland conducts its business. I am an American therefore my main focus is on the USA. If you feel so strongly about the way Switzerland or any other country does their business or how their people live perhaps you could join them. We are NOT going to try to make the good 'ole US of A into another Switzerland, France, Germany, England, etc.

JMHO

January 23rd, 2008, 11:03 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I have been telling my friends since day one after 9/11 we need to secure our borders 1st and foremost.

I still believe we should do that seeing how it's over 6 years ago that it happened.

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 23rd, 2008, 2:32 pm
RIP Killer

I have been telling my friends since day one after 9/11 we need to secure our borders 1st and foremost.

I still believe we should do that seeing how it's over 6 years ago that it happened.

The terrorist from 9/11 didn't sneak in through Mexico though, so I see this as a totally different issue. If you want to protect the border from terrorist then you also have to shore up the Canadian border and now the cost just more than doubled (there is more border with Canada than Mexico).

Did you know there are entry points into the US from Canada that have a voluntary system of announcing your arrival into the US. Meaning, you have to get out of your car and go into the unmanned checkpoint and sign in (which nobody does BTW).

Securing the border from illegal immigrants (poor folk) versus terrorist (well funded) is a very different proposition.

January 23rd, 2008, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

First, stop giving out welfare checks to anyone who isn't a valid U.S. citizen. Second, stop giving Social Security checks to anyone who hasn't paid into the system, or had a parent paying into the system that died prematurely (before 65). Third, force ALL paperwork, testing, etc. done by/for the government to be in ENGLISH, no other languages permissible. I hate the idea of someone who can't even READ a STOP sign to be allowed to take a driving test in another language. Fourth, secure the borders. Fifth, start rounding up illegals and ship them out with a promise that if they are found on American soil again under illegal circumstances they will be considered a foreign spy and will be summarily shot as such, without trial and without apology to anyone, including the U.N.

Well here is another little wrinkle for you to put in the perverbial underwear. Foreign nationals (mexican supermarkets, and restaurants) get an amount like $50,000, to start up a small business. The process is streamlined for them, because they are foreign nationals. However, if Joe Smith American citizen tries for the same loan, the Red Tape alone kills him.

This is a contributing factor to Mexican stores, markets, vehicle parts stores and Indian Hotels. It's harder for the locals than the internationals.

Actually, in Feb. of 2004 the History channel had a program on t.v. that actually gave a play by play account of an Arab who was known as the #1 Chemical danger in the world, had set up shop in Tijuana. The SEALS were sent in and they "neutralized" the suspect and his cronies. Found in there stash: Video footage of Oakland Raiders football stadium, security gates, points of entry, and shopping malls. Can you imagine something like that happening at a game? That's 40k + victims right there alone.

So Mexico is most noted problem but the least talked about is the Great Lakes. Anyone who can drive a boat can pretty much come and go as you please. Taking the St. Lawrence Seaway into Erie and on around. Talk about scary! Not to mention, Osama or some of his cohorts were caught trying to buy the submersible (1 man) scooters. Looks like a baby torpedo, but it's a fan that will scoot a diver around. Chew on those things for a moment.

Not to mention major Northern cities have KNOWN populations of Arabs, that's like trying to look for needles in a stack of needles.

Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2

January 23rd, 2008, 8:56 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I think the wrong people are being targetted here. My solution: target the people and businesses who give jobs to the illegals. Once you make the decision to employ an illegal an uneconomic one (cost of getting busted x chance of getting busted > saving made by using illegal labour) the demand for illegal labour will drop hugely. If you do that, the number of people wanting to come across the border will also drop.

January 24th, 2008, 6:07 am
Pop Warner Vet

round them up and have them build the wall before putting them on the other side of it.

January 24th, 2008, 10:29 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Here is an interesting email I just received, thought others might like the read....

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to 'print' it myself by sending it out on the I nternet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined.

Dave LaBonte (signed)

Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

Dear Editor:

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this n ew kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a shi p and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.
They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assi milate into one culture.

Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a fu ture of prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight ov er from Germany, Italy,France and Japan .. None of these 1st ge neration Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrants sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl .

And here we are in 2007 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2

July 9th, 2008, 10:36 pm
By all accounts the fence is incredibly expensive and utterly useless. I think people like the idea of it more than the reality.

Create a path to citizenship that starts with a work visa--people have to apply and demonstrate their skills just as with any other visa. Those who are already here can apply as well, but they must return to their country while the application is pending and pay a significant fee.

Same goes with student visas--present a way to work authorization and eventually citizenship if person maintains their status and plays by the rules.

I don't think that making it easier to get here the answer... I want a process that controls the influx of people coming into our country. I want process that limits even the "good" prospects that can read and write.

However, until Mexico gets better, or until we are tougher on people trying to come over here we'll never have a workable immigration process. We make it too easy for them to slip by and start lives here...

July 10th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Pro Bowl Player

lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:
By all accounts the fence is incredibly expensive and utterly useless. I think people like the idea of it more than the reality.

Create a path to citizenship that starts with a work visa--people have to apply and demonstrate their skills just as with any other visa. Those who are already here can apply as well, but they must return to their country while the application is pending and pay a significant fee.

Same goes with student visas--present a way to work authorization and eventually citizenship if person maintains their status and plays by the rules.

I don't think that making it easier to get here the answer... I want a process that controls the influx of people coming into our country. I want process that limits even the "good" prospects that can read and write.

However, until Mexico gets better, or until we are tougher on people trying to come over here we'll never have a workable immigration process. We make it too easy for them to slip by and start lives here...

I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.

July 10th, 2008, 2:20 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:

I'm in favor of allowing any Mexican in who will buy a house. I don't care if it ends up being an extended family living in it.

Not me!

July 10th, 2008, 2:27 pm
Pro Bowl Player

illinoiseric wrote:

Not me!

I think this question falls under the heading of "choose your poison", huh?

July 10th, 2008, 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next