View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 5:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Who wants to learn about wind turbines. 
Post Re: Who wants to learn about wind turbines.
But they're still ugly... and noisy...

April 29th, 2011, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

That is not a nice thing to say about all my wives there WJB!

April 29th, 2011, 10:03 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Ugly? Can't argue opinions. Power plants aren't good looking all together, but I'll take ugly over not being able to breath anyday.

Not really that noisy in the grand scheme of things, few bad ones in the wrong place cause issues, but overall they aren't noisy.

April 29th, 2011, 10:03 am
steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Ugly? Can't argue opinions. Power plants aren't good looking all together, but I'll take ugly over not being able to breath anyday.

Not really that noisy in the grand scheme of things, few bad ones in the wrong place cause issues, but overall they aren't noisy.

That was the first post that I ever thew out there JUST for the purposes of getting someone's goat! :cheers:

Steen, I agree with you completely that wind turbines should be riddled through our farm land. I am a little concerned with farmers taking subsidies for NOT growing food that would otherwise grow food due to not needing to do all the work of farming from the money that they're receiving from the electricity that they're producing. I also agree that wind turbines, where possible, should be located offshore, FAR ENOUGH NOT TO BE SEEN FROM SHORE. However, I cannot agree with wind turbines being placed in scenic places. I don't know how many houses you can power with one of these things, but I would rather put a couple in each subdivision (assuming that they would be unobtrusive) than screw up our scenic areas with them.

April 29th, 2011, 1:12 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Steen, I agree with you completely that wind turbines should be riddled through our farm land. I am a little concerned with farmers taking subsidies for NOT growing food that would otherwise grow food due to not needing to do all the work of farming from the money that they're receiving from the electricity that they're producing. I also agree that wind turbines, where possible, should be located offshore, FAR ENOUGH NOT TO BE SEEN FROM SHORE. However, I cannot agree with wind turbines being placed in scenic places. I don't know how many houses you can power with one of these things, but I would rather put a couple in each subdivision (assuming that they would be unobtrusive) than screw up our scenic areas with them.

I agree, riddled through the famr lands is the best option as well. Makes sense based on the amount of land we have, the amount of wind in those areas, and the ability to ship it to large cities and connect into large grids.

Turbines offshore are a good option as well, because of the wind out there. But just like everything else we need to take what we have learned from the first attempts and get them engineered in for reliability. Unlike a boat that can come into habor and get repainted every few years... a turbine chillin out in that salty water is gonna get some NASTY environmental issues.

Our turbines power 800 homes'ish' as it vaires by usage. the few per subdivision doesn't make sense because of economy of scale. Having to maintain and control power output spread all over is more than difficult and doesn't allow for good grid quality. Basically, to achieve cost advantages, you want a large wind park in a location away from buildings, trees, etc. so you get good clean air, less visability to the public (you said they are ugly), better economies of scale, better controlability, easier mainenence, etc.

Regarding scenic places, I agree in general, but we shoul consider national forest type regulations to keep some areas free of human impact but remind ourselves that there is plenty of scenic places in some areas and we do not need to protect all of it.

April 29th, 2011, 1:32 pm
Steen... What I'm thinking when I say that they should be allowed within subdivisions, is that if one were placed in, say, Garden City, near the City buildings or near the HS, they could use that power from that turbine in that immediate area. In the middle of a developed, middle class, row house style sub I really don't think they would take away from aesthetics, and they could take a HUGE burden off of the grid and gain efficiency by not transporting power long distances.

April 29th, 2011, 11:29 pm
RIP Killer

It's a good thought, the closer the better for sure, I just don't get the conflict with "ugly" and now they're right next door.

April 30th, 2011, 10:50 am
steensn wrote:
It's a good thought, the closer the better for sure, I just don't get the conflict with "ugly" and now they're right next door.

Have you ever been to Garden City, the South Side of Warren, Ecorse, Eastpointe, Roseville? You really wouldn't be taking away from aesthetics in those areas...

And, in a lot of those cities, their elementary schools have large fields behind them that would seemingly be suitable for a turbine. That school and the surrounding 800ish homes could all virtually be taken off of the grid by installing one turbine near the school. This would effectively eliminate nearly the entire city from the grid.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on April 30th, 2011, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2011, 10:52 am
RIP Killer

Lol, good point... the problem is that there is so much crap there the wind doesn't blow clean and it's not a good wind region.

April 30th, 2011, 10:53 am
steensn wrote:
Lol, good point... the problem is that there is so much crap there the wind doesn't blow clean and it's not a good wind region.

I don't understand this, but maybe it is just because I'm ignorant on the matter. In those cities there really isn't a house that is taller than 25-30', their really aren't any tall buildings, the largest thing in the way would be an old Oak or Maple tree...

April 30th, 2011, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

Ans you could use taller towers to get around that, but turbines are not allowed to be within like +-.25 mile from any houses because of regulations.

Here is a wind map:

It is on the borderline of worthwhile or not in those areas. But generally you're not going to find a location in them large enough to put on. I will say though that you could use the smalll community wind size turbines that have less regulations, but then the impact is less.

April 30th, 2011, 11:00 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Sorry, but I can't resist:
Quote:
The green killer: Scores of protected golden eagles dying after colliding with wind turbines
By David Gardner

Last updated at 11:11 PM on 6th June 2011

California's attempts to switch to green energy have inadvertently put the survival of the state’s golden eagles at risk.

Scores of the protected birds have been dying each year after colliding with the blades of about 5,000 wind turbines.

Now the drive for renewable power sources, such as wind and the sun, being promoted by President Obama and state Governor Jerry Brown has raised fears that the number of newborn golden eagles may not be able to keep pace with the number of turbine fatalities.

The 200ft high turbines, which have been operating since the 1980s, lie in the heart of the grassy canyons that are home to one of the highest densities of nesting golden eagles in the US.

‘It would take 167 pairs of local nesting golden eagles to produce enough young to compensate for their mortality rate related to wind energy production,’ field biologist Doug Bell, manager of East Bay Regional Park District's wildlife programme, told the Los Angeles Times. ‘We only have 60 pairs,’ he added.

Nationwide, about 440,000 birds are said to be accidentally killed at wind farms each year, as well as thousands more bats. With the government pushing for more wind energy farms, that statistic is likely to rise.

Another recovering species, the California Condor, is also said to be at risk from the giant blades.

‘We taxpayers have spent millions of dollars saving the California condor from extinction,’ Gary George, spokesman for Audubon California, told the Times.

‘How's the public going to feel about wind energy if a condor hits the turbines?’

Newer carbines are said to be less harmful to birds and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has asked power bosses to turn off the wind machines during times of heavy bird migration.

But the moves have done little to protect the golden eagles, which weigh about 14 pounds and stand up to 409 inches tall.

Their flight behaviour makes it difficult for them to navigate through masses of wind turbine towers, especially when they are easily distracted by prey on the ground.

‘The eagles usually die of blunt-force trauma injuries,’ said Mr Bell.

‘Once, I discovered a wounded golden eagle hobbling through tall grass, about a quarter mile from the turbine blades that had clipped its flight feathers.’

‘A wind farm owner once told me that if there were no witnesses, it would be impossible to prove a bird had been killed by a wind turbine blade.

My response was this: If you see a golden eagle sliced in half in a wind farm, what other explanation is there?’ he added.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1OZ1FhNId

I expect to hear steensn demand the dismantling of those wind turbines now to prevent the further slaughter! Of course, that would benefit his company, but that's besides the point. Do what's right for the golden eagles! :D

June 7th, 2011, 1:17 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

but only if the goldne eagles are smokers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

June 7th, 2011, 8:54 am
RIP Killer

Same crap you've been posting for the past year...

"The 200ft high turbines, which have been operating since the 1980s, lie in the heart of the grassy canyons that are home to one of the highest densities of nesting golden eagles in the US."

It's the old style, lattice tower, blender type wind turbines. The new larger wind turbines they ARE replacing them with won't do the same damage because they will be tubular steel towers which have no place to nest on and slower moving blades won't act as a blender.

You're posting the same stuff again and again already addressed above... nothing compelling... which is why you can give me the answer. It actually doesn't benefit my company because California in all their brilliance decided to buy wind turbines from... DENMARK.

June 7th, 2011, 10:18 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

It still doesn't eliminate the FACT that certain wind turbines kill birds though. :lol:

And BTW, the article I posted yesterday was new. As soon as I saw it, I started laughing and thought of you. You just know that I couldn't resist. :D

June 7th, 2011, 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next