View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Android Phones 
Modmin Dude

Post Android Phones
I'm sure we have some Droid users here, so here's a couple questions for you:

Is it all that?
POP3 email, does it work? How often does it "sync"?
What issues have you experienced?
What are you overall thoughts on it?

The reason I'm asking is that my Storm2 has finally ticked me off completely. I love the touch-screen aspect, but have been having too many problems as of late and am about ready to move to a Droid, if it suits my needs. It is for personal use and I have a few emal accounts going to it. The reason I didn't get Droid when I got the Storm2 was because you could get POP3 email at the time; I hear this has been fixed but that you have to wait extended periods of time to receive the email whereas I receive it immediately on my BBerry.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

May 12th, 2010, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: DROID
Lovn' he DROID!!! Got a few friends to switch over as well.

Is it all that?
Getting there, just needs some more apps. But the OP system is great!

POP3 email, does it work? How often does it "sync"?
I use it for gmail and outlook, so I havn't tried the rest. Some say they like it, some say they use a third party app for POP3. I get emails almost instantly.

What issues have you experienced?
Few glitches that were fixed in last update. Other than that, no issues

What are you overall thoughts on it?
Can't find a better all around device. The nav system is SICK. Nothing like integrating a turn by turn nav with google maps. The google apps are sick as well. Just go and look at the list somewhere online, totally awesome, Google is amazing. There is no other phone I would have given my laptop up for, but I literally got rid of my laptop once I got this thing because I simply didn't need it anymore with my wife having a macbook. If you sat down with me and I show'd you all the goodies, you'd be amazed. Had 3 people get off the crackberries...

May 12th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Head Cheerleader

I do not have the Droid, but I do have the HTC Hero which uses the same Android OS that the Droid phone has. It sync's with my Gmail account and I can also set it up to sync with a POP3/Exchange mail account. I get immediate notice on my phone when I get a new Gmail message. I have not set up the POP3/Exchange because the only account I could use for that is my work account and I already have a separate device for accessing work email. I really like the phone and the OS, in fact my work device is an Iphone and I think I like the Android OS better overall.

May 12th, 2010, 2:26 pm
RIP Killer

The new HTC DROID Infinity looks awesome. 8 MP camera? Sick!

May 12th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Android Phones
Well, I finally went ahead and got the Moto Droid...lovin' it so far and can't wait for the Froyo update..looks sweet! My only complaint so far is that I can't seem to synch with my Outlook Calendar & Contacts on my home PC without exporting to a file, then importing into GMail..but its not a deal breaker.

Now, on to more important stuff...

What apps do you guys use? So far I've installed these:

Seesmic (Twitter client)
Google Maps - nice!
Lookout Mobile Security
Shazam
Wordpress - blog stuff
Advanced Task Killer
Google Earth - haven't used it yet
eBay
VIP Access - haven't used...
Skype - haven't used, just finally signed up yesterday
Retro Clock Widget
K-9 mail - nice upgrade from the original
Movies - Flixster
Groucery IQ - coupons
The Coupons App - coupons
Key Ring Reward Card - replace those darned key tags..haven't tried it yet

Jewels
Cribbage Pro
Spades (free)
Mobile Banking app
Congress - see how your rep votes
Solitare Free Pack - just installed, haven't tried it yet

and I still have over 120MB free space (plus teh SD card...) Me likey!!!! :P

I've also been thinking about getting into the App Developement World for Android, does anyone have any experience with this?

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 24th, 2010, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

I'm so excited!

http://gizmodo.com/5543853/what-is-froyo

My apps (not a huge app guy):

Games:

Balance Bomb (Lame but good filler)
Sketch Online (Freaking awesome fun pictionary style game with real live people)
Robo Defense
Mahjong

Misc:

Google Maps
Google Sky Map (FREAKING AWESOME!)
Unit Converter (I'm an engineer)
Layer Reality Browser (Cool idea)
ASTRO File Manager (MUST HAVE!)
My Tracks
Weatherbug
Barcode Scanner (Helps me be even more cheap that I already am)
Runstar
Bible
ADvanced Task Killer (another must have)
Google Goggles (freaking sweet)
Dockrunner (Free dock look without getting dock)
Compass
Shazam
Stopwatch
RealCalc Scientific Calculator
Driodlight LED Flashlight(turns led into flashlight)

Music:

Mixzing Light (Best music player to date)
Slacker Radio
Pandora Radio

THE BEST:
Google Voice... use it for visual voicemail, FREE CALLS to anyone in the US with a google number (You are an idiot if you don't use this) Makes all my calls for work, free, no minutes used AT ALL.

Thought about doing apps... then realized I have no time to do that.

June 24th, 2010, 1:35 pm
RIP Killer

I'm gonna LOVE tethering!!!

June 24th, 2010, 1:37 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
I'm gonna LOVE tethering!!!

I like the idea of being able to use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot..pretty sweet!!! Might just be worth the exrta $20/month

Joe Fauria, MVP!

June 24th, 2010, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

"Late Summer"

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/06/23/conf ... te-summer/

June 24th, 2010, 1:53 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I'm the only adult I know who does not own a cell phone. So far I'm able to resist the siren song of instant communication. I like that when I'm all on my own, I'm all on my own.

My wife and kids aren't too happy with me, but, I'd rather them be troubled, than me.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

June 24th, 2010, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

TruckinMack wrote:
I'm the only adult I know who does not own a cell phone. So far I'm able to resist the siren song of instant communication. I like that when I'm all on my own, I'm all on my own.

My wife and kids aren't too happy with me, but, I'd rather them be troubled, than me.

Yeah... my work won't even allow me to not have one...

June 24th, 2010, 2:14 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

steensn wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

Own my own company, in health care. My only problem is collegues think I don't trust them with my cell number. And more than a few clients think I'm bonkers. Not great for attracting business. Then there are a few who are envious that I'm able to live without an electronic tether. (I don't have a laptop, Ipad, electic notebook. Nothing. Zip. Nada.) So far so good.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

June 24th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Veteran General Manager

TruckinMack wrote:
steensn wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

Own my own company, in health care. My only problem is collegues think I don't trust them with my cell number. And more than a few clients think I'm bonkers. Not great for attracting business. Then there are a few who are envious that I'm able to live without an electronic tether. (I don't have a laptop, Ipad, electic notebook. Nothing. Zip. Nada.) So far so good.

Are you living in a cave? LOL.

June 24th, 2010, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

Hey, my mom can barely use hers. She's leaves if off unless she is making a call. She still uses the old analog cell... She just recently got her first email account last month. She has yet to reply to a single email I have written her.

June 24th, 2010, 5:17 pm
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
Hey, my mom can barely use hers. She's leaves if off unless she is making a call. She still uses the old analog cell... She just recently got her first email account last month. She has yet to reply to a single email I have written her.

She answers the emails I send her. She just doesn't like you. LOL.

June 24th, 2010, 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next