View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Android Phones 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Android Phones
HAHA! I honestly would rather carry around a 10 inch tablet I could put headphones in and take calls. I really wish those dang tablets could take phone calls with the plans you pay for, why the heck not!?

August 5th, 2011, 11:22 am
RIP Killer

Options in order of preference as I see them now:

1) Droid Charge
2) Droid Thunderbolt
3) Droid 3 (I just love the physical keyboard!)
4) Droid Revolution
5) iPhone 4

August 5th, 2011, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

Or wait a few weeks for the Droid Bionic? Sounds SICK.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/181934/ ... hone-5.htm

August 5th, 2011, 11:51 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Driod Bionic.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

August 5th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm thinking I can wait a little longer. Sept 8th isn't that long.

August 5th, 2011, 2:23 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

Might as well wait a little longer then and get the iP5

August 5th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:

Might as well wait a little longer then and get the iP5

That's what I was thinking...if they would ever actually announce when it's supposed to come out, that is

August 5th, 2011, 4:02 pm
RIP Killer

See my link, the iPhone 5 is not supposed to outdo the Bionic in any fashion.

August 5th, 2011, 5:40 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
See my link, the iPhone 5 is not supposed to outdo the Bionic in any fashion.

Other than it is an Apple product. Get ready for a host of malware on your Android phones and good luck...

Gimme apps and more apps with no virus worries... Plus it synchs up with my iPod and iPad - go Apple.

August 5th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I like Apple, we have a macbook and I am likely getting us a ipad soon. For the phone, I like the droid features better though with the navigation and other features. I'm still waiting on the viruses they promised 2 years ago because it wasn't "apple." That is kinda a misnomer with the windows vs mac deal... there aren't viruses on the apples because MOST people use windows and not apple products. Once apples becomes a large enough target they will start to see the same.

August 5th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
Get ready for a host of malware on your Android phones and good luck...

To echo what Steensn said: What malware? And when phones do start to get viruses, there will be just any many iPhone viruses as android viruses, as they have near equivalent market share.

Quote:
HAHA! I honestly would rather carry around a 10 inch tablet I could put headphones in and take calls. I really wish those dang tablets could take phone calls with the plans you pay for, why the heck not!?

If you can wait a year, word on the street is that Samsung has a 5+inch phone coming out next year that will be marketed as a tablet/phone hybrid. My contract will be up at that point, and that's what I plan on getting.

http://technorati.com/technology/articl ... -tabphone/

Samsung is making better phones than Apple, and Apple is getting scared. That's why they've taken to sue them instead of compete.

Last edited by Blueskies on August 5th, 2011, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2011, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

Can't wait a year. I was researching the bionic and it will support the docking thing the atrix was using. That gets me what I want.

August 5th, 2011, 6:26 pm
QB Coach

The questions/comments about iPhone vs Bionic really come down to personal preference. Android phones are not currently as polished or as smooth as the iPhone, and most likely never will be. Android has many different variations and phone manufacturers, so the fragmentation comes with that. It's not a negative, just a fact of life. I've used multiple models of the iPhone and several different Android phones, and it has been consistent across all the phones. Apple focuses intently on the user experience, while Android focuses more on specifications and less on the user experience.

Regarding the article steensn posted, in my opinion that hardly shows that the Bionic "Dwarfs the iPhone 5". First of all, we don't know what the Bionic or iPhone 5 are going to be yet. But, going with what is posted in the article, here's my take:

Display
Bionic is larger, but lower resolution than the iPhone. Totally depends on your preference.

Input Features
Pretty much the same thing. Unless you prefer MOTOBLUR there really is no difference. Both offer multi-touch, accelerometer, touch sensitive controls, proximity sensor, etc.

Memory
The Bionic may have more RAM than the iPhone. 1GB vs 768MB. (both are speculation at this point)

Speed
Bionic has 4G LTE, iPhone 5 most likely not. So the Bionic definitely wins the speed test. But, the one caveat that comes with 4G is that is is an absolute battery killer. I've tested a couple different 4G LTE phones on Verizon and they both had horrible battery life with only average use. This is a big deal to me. Until an Android phone manufacturer can make a phone that can at least make it through most of the day with normal use, I'll probably stay away. I hope this phone can do it. That would be cool.

WLAN
Only difference is Bionic has DLNA and iPhone does not.

Camera
Both expected to be 8 megapixel full HD cameras.

Processer
Both are expected to be dual core. Don't know about speeds yet, but most likely they will be similar.

Operating System
iOS vs. Android. Comes down to personal preference.

Battery
Bionic appears to have a larger batter than iPhone, but Apple always seems to find ways to get very good batter life from their phones. They always hype them up more than what actually happens, but the iPhone 4 for example easily gets through a day, and sometimes more than one day on one charge.

So there you have it. In my opinion the only spec where there is a big difference is speed. Other than that, is is pretty much a wash. How does that equate to the Bionic "dwarfing" the iPhone?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 6th, 2011, 10:51 am
RIP Killer

It's not a wash, some of it is personal preference, some of it s clearly in Bionics favor. Someone may or may not care about the extra benefits, but they are there. I'm not shooting down Apple, have a macbook and a ipad is being shipped as we speak. Great products! They are more polished as they focus the software around ONE hardware which allows for a level of perfection. But some of the droid manufacturers have taken a special step recently to work with that as well. The Bionic was one of those that actually changed their hardware and fixed some things instead of just coming out with it. Though android phones are not as controlled, it doesn't mean they cannot perform just as well of better. What you have is the higher risk that they might have not done everything right.

August 6th, 2011, 12:47 pm
QB Coach

steensn wrote:
It's not a wash, some of it is personal preference, some of it s clearly in Bionics favor. Someone may or may not care about the extra benefits, but they are there. I'm not shooting down Apple, have a macbook and a ipad is being shipped as we speak. Great products! They are more polished as they focus the software around ONE hardware which allows for a level of perfection. But some of the droid manufacturers have taken a special step recently to work with that as well. The Bionic was one of those that actually changed their hardware and fixed some things instead of just coming out with it. Though android phones are not as controlled, it doesn't mean they cannot perform just as well of better. What you have is the higher risk that they might have not done everything right.

What are the extra benefits that are clearly in the Bionic's favor? That was the point of my post. From a specification standpoint (according to the article you posted), there weren't any major differences. Am I missing something?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 6th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next