View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 8:08 pm



Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Android Phones 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Android Phones
Look at your post, you mentioned several areas where the Bionic was better, none where iphone was better, and played down some of the differences as "preference." I know we are speaking on conjecture still, but the Bionic at first sniff based on what we think we know is "better" if only by a little bit unless the preferences stand out to someone personally.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


August 6th, 2011, 7:25 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
steensn wrote:
Look at your post, you mentioned several areas where the Bionic was better, none where iphone was better, and played down some of the differences as "preference." I know we are speaking on conjecture still, but the Bionic at first sniff based on what we think we know is "better" if only by a little bit unless the preferences stand out to someone personally.


Every phone that comes out is touted as being "better than the iPhone."

How has that worked out, thus far?

htc can stick more ram in their phones and call them "better," but when it comes down to it, none of the crap that they say matters, actually does.

I don't really understand the basis of this argument.. Fandroids yell about android being the most popular os - well, yeah, it's free, and developers stick it on every phone they put out, regardless of the quality/cost of the hardware, it's also available on more carriers than the iPhone, for now.

The current generation of the apple iPhone will trump the current generation of any other phone, every time; same with the iPod, same with the iPad, same with whatever apple decides to get into next (my guess is televisions).


August 7th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Android Phones
That is just silly iphone over love... several phones that came out beat the iphone version out within a few months of it's release. It always comes down to preference though regarding what the person values. Sometimes that is the iphone, sometimes that is one droid, sometimes it's a different droid, heck I've even seen people pick the windows phone.

But one can't deny that both phones systems are amazing.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


August 7th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
steensn wrote:
That is just silly iphone over love... several phones that came out beat the iphone version out within a few months of it's release. It always comes down to preference though regarding what the person values. Sometimes that is the iphone, sometimes that is one droid, sometimes it's a different droid, heck I've even seen people pick the windows phone.

But one can't deny that both phones systems are amazing.


No phone has ever beaten the iPhone.

Phones come out that have a one megapixel higher camera, 1" larger screen, or 128mb more ram (which ends up being futile, as the iPhone still takes better pictures, has a better screen, and manages ram more efficiently than the "better" phone) , but none of that seems to matter when the numbers come out - the iPhone handily defeats every phone put up against it, as it will continue to do until the entire concept of portable communication is re-innovated (probably by apple).

Look up some sales figures.. It's kind of ridiculous how one-sided it is..

/I don't have an iPhone, just ~15 years of IT experience/understanding, 4 years of tech stock research.

With all of that being said, it's a good time to pick up some AAPL stock at a discount, because of the credit-downgrade insider-trading dip.


Last edited by anon749244 on August 7th, 2011, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.



August 7th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3148
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Android Phones
steensn wrote:
That is just silly iphone over love... several phones that came out beat the iphone version out within a few months of it's release. It always comes down to preference though regarding what the person values. Sometimes that is the iphone, sometimes that is one droid, sometimes it's a different droid, heck I've even seen people pick the windows phone.

But one can't deny that both phones systems are amazing.

Agreed. I'll also agree that the post above is nothing but iPhone fanboy-ism. The iPhone is a great phone. So are some of the Android phones. Ultimately it does come down to personal preference and what you need your phone to do.

Regarding your previous post, I still don't see how the Bionic is way better than the iPhone. For example, it has a bigger screen. Great, if you want a bigger screen. But, with lower resolution that big screen won't look quite as crisp as the iPhone screen. So it's a trade-off, depending on personal preference.

With the RAM, simply having more doesn't mean anything. It all depends on the other components within the phone and how it performs. If you look at the benchmark tests of performance (back when the iPhone 4 was released), the iPhone stacks up pretty well with many of the Android phones of that time. Here's a link to the review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/12. Based on that, I'd expect the new iPhone to also stack up pretty well. I don't know exactly how Apple manages to squeeze more performance out of lower specs, but my guess is that since they control the hardware and the software, they can get things fully optimized. It is much more difficult for Android phone manufacturers to accomplish this since they don't control the software.

At the end of the day though, (as the reviewer states), it comes down to personal preference. I use a MacBook Pro, I have Apple routers which wirelessly plays my music over my home theater system, and I can control that with my iPhone. Can't do that with an Android phone (yet). I am intrigued by the navigation on Android. I've used it and it's mostly great. That is a big selling point, so we'll see. I'm waiting to see what the next Nexus phone is vs. the next iPhone, then I'll make my decision on what to get.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 7th, 2011, 8:21 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3148
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Android Phones
aughsum wrote:
No phone has ever beaten the iPhone.

Phones come out that have a one megapixel higher camera, 1" larger screen, or 128mb more ram (which ends up being futile, as the iPhone still takes better pictures, has a better screen, and manages ram more efficiently than the "better" phone) , but none of that seems to matter when the numbers come out - the iPhone handily defeats every phone put up against it, as it will continue to do until the entire concept of portable communication is re-innovated (probably by apple).

Look up some sales figures.. It's kind of ridiculous how one-sided it is..

/I don't have an iPhone, just ~15 years of IT experience/understanding, 4 years of tech stock research.

With all of that being said, it's a good time to pick up some AAPL stock at a discount, because of the credit-downgrade insider-trading dip.

I agree that the iPhone seems to do things better/more optimized than any other single Android phone. But I have to ask a question here. What sales figures? Android outsells the iPhone. The iPhone is the most popular individual phone, but overall Android sells many more than the iPhone. I believe the numbers from the first quarter of 2011 were something like 37 million Android phones vs. 18 million iPhones. So in terms of cumulative sales, Android beats the iPhone. In terms of individual phone sales, it's no question. iPhone is #1.

What will be interesting is when the iPhone launches on all 4 major carriers later this year/early next year. Then we can see how the iPhone stacks up against Android since they will now be (mostly) available in the same places. As a tech geek, this stuff intrigues me.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 7th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Android Phones
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


August 7th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
aughsum wrote:
No phone has ever beaten the iPhone.

Phones come out that have a one megapixel higher camera, 1" larger screen, or 128mb more ram (which ends up being futile, as the iPhone still takes better pictures, has a better screen, and manages ram more efficiently than the "better" phone) , but none of that seems to matter when the numbers come out - the iPhone handily defeats every phone put up against it, as it will continue to do until the entire concept of portable communication is re-innovated (probably by apple).

Look up some sales figures.. It's kind of ridiculous how one-sided it is..

/I don't have an iPhone, just ~15 years of IT experience/understanding, 4 years of tech stock research.

With all of that being said, it's a good time to pick up some AAPL stock at a discount, because of the credit-downgrade insider-trading dip.

I agree that the iPhone seems to do things better/more optimized than any other single Android phone. But I have to ask a question here. What sales figures? Android outsells the iPhone. The iPhone is the most popular individual phone, but overall Android sells many more than the iPhone. I believe the numbers from the first quarter of 2011 were something like 37 million Android phones vs. 18 million iPhones. So in terms of cumulative sales, Android beats the iPhone. In terms of individual phone sales, it's no question. iPhone is #1.

What will be interesting is when the iPhone launches on all 4 major carriers later this year/early next year. Then we can see how the iPhone stacks up against Android since they will now be (mostly) available in the same places. As a tech geek, this stuff intrigues me.


Not fanboyism, I just pay a lot of attention to this stuff, like you said, as a tech geek, this stuff intrigues me.

And I addressed the os sales in my first post. Nothing against android, it would be great if iOS didn't exist, but, by putting a free os on free handsets on carriers with cheap data plans that don't carry the iPhone, you're going to get inflated android sales figures. There is no individual smartphone that has sold more than whatever version of the iPhone it was competing against.

Ip5 on sprint will be a game changer.. Especially if it's dual-mode CDMA/gsm.. Higher volumes, lower production costs, lower sales price, since they'd be manufacturing 2 phones for the American market, instead of 6.

Really looking forward to September.


Last edited by anon749244 on August 7th, 2011, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.



August 7th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
steensn wrote:
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D


One question: what can you do better on an android phone vs iOS?


August 7th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3148
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Android Phones
steensn wrote:
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D

Really? I did. Let's look at what I actually said:

Display: I said the bionic is bigger but iPhone has higher resolution. That is true and is a matter of personal preference. Nothing written off here.
Input Features: Both are multi-touch input screens. The Bionic will have MOTOBLUR, which is Motorola's skin on top of Android. Personally I don't like it. So I said that unless you prefer MOTOBLUR over the iPhone interface, both are pretty much equal. Not writing anything off here either.
Memory: I simply stated what the specs are expected to be. I should have noted that the Bionic has more RAM than the iPhone.
Speed:I noted that the Bionic has 4G while the iPhone probably won't, and that the Bionic wins in this dept. But, it also has to be noted that the 4G chip does have a severely negative impact on battery life. That is true with every single 4G LTE phone that has been released to date.
WLAN:Both phones have the same specs here except for DLNA, which I noted.
Camera:Same specs.
Processor:Both expected to be dual core, and I noted that they are likely to be similar speeds. This has been true in the past and I know of no reason to expect it to be different now.
OS:Personal preference of Android vs iOS.
Battery:This is unknown, and my only comment was that the Bionic likely will have a larger capacity battery, but may not have as good of battery life due to the 4G impact. This has also been true of every single 4G phone on Verizon's LTE system to date (as well as true of every iPhone having very good battery life so far).

Again, where did I say things are equal that aren't? I don't get it.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 7th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3148
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Android Phones
aughsum wrote:
steensn wrote:
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D


One question: what can you do better on an android phone vs iOS?

Navigation is no contest. Google maps turn-by-turn navigation is hands down the best on the market. In tests and real world use, it works as well as or better than the GPS apps you have to buy.

Also, there were tests that showed that the Android browser is much faster than the iPhone browser (for loading websites). Those results were called into question, but they are still out there nonetheless.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 7th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
aughsum wrote:
steensn wrote:
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D


One question: what can you do better on an android phone vs iOS?

Navigation is no contest. Google maps turn-by-turn navigation is hands down the best on the market. In tests and real world use, it works as well as or better than the GPS apps you have to buy.

Also, there were tests that showed that the Android browser is much faster than the iPhone browser (for loading websites). Those results were called into question, but they are still out there nonetheless.


My point is, that everything you need a phone to do, the iPhone does flawlessly - while keeping the ui simple and consistent, and corralling users into the apple ecosystem. It's the perfect phone, any "improvements" are marginal and trivial, at best.

Android does have nice navigation - google supplies apples nav, won't allow the turn-by-turn onto iOS, which is why apple is buying up it's own navigation companies to develop it's own in-house navigation app. It's rumored they just bought c3 technologies too, check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaahKhvO ... ata_player


August 7th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3148
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Android Phones
aughsum wrote:
My point is, that everything you need a phone to do, the iPhone does flawlessly - while keeping the ui simple and consistent, and corralling users into the apple ecosystem. It's the perfect phone, any "improvements" are marginal and trivial, at best.

Android does have nice navigation - google supplies apples nav, won't allow the turn-by-turn onto iOS, which is why apple is buying up it's own navigation companies to develop it's own in-house navigation app. It's rumored they just bought c3 technologies too, check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaahKhvO ... ata_player

Yep, I remember hearing about that a while back. Very cool stuff.

I wouldn't say that the iPhone does everything flawlessly. It still has hiccups and bugs, but it generally does things very well. The lack of flash support is frustrating given that flash is still pretty prevalent on the web and it renders many websites unusable from the iPhone. In my opinion, both platforms are solid. iOS is more polished and seems to run a bit smoother, but both work fine. My fiance has a Droid X; she is not a techie person at all and she loves it. It works perfectly for her.

Like I said before, it largely comes down to personal preference and whether or not you are already locked into an ecosystem.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 7th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Android Phones
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
aughsum wrote:
My point is, that everything you need a phone to do, the iPhone does flawlessly - while keeping the ui simple and consistent, and corralling users into the apple ecosystem. It's the perfect phone, any "improvements" are marginal and trivial, at best.

Android does have nice navigation - google supplies apples nav, won't allow the turn-by-turn onto iOS, which is why apple is buying up it's own navigation companies to develop it's own in-house navigation app. It's rumored they just bought c3 technologies too, check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaahKhvO ... ata_player

Yep, I remember hearing about that a while back. Very cool stuff.

I wouldn't say that the iPhone does everything flawlessly. It still has hiccups and bugs, but it generally does things very well. The lack of flash support is frustrating given that flash is still pretty prevalent on the web and it renders many websites unusable from the iPhone. In my opinion, both platforms are solid. iOS is more polished and seems to run a bit smoother, but both work fine. My fiance has a Droid X; she is not a techie person at all and she loves it. It works perfectly for her.

Like I said before, it largely comes down to personal preference and whether or not you are already locked into an ecosystem.


From an it engineer standpoint, it's flawless.. The elderly can figure out how to use the os, there's nothing a user can do to screw it up from a software standpoint.. It just solid, and with each release it gets more solid - they hired the guy from hp that designed webos's notification system to work on ios5. Bought a voice control company, they're launching icloud to further enrich the iOS experience for users, supposedly launching a Netflix-esque service for iOS devices, the list goes on.

It seems like androids biggest draw is flash, which, to me, seems a little pathetic.. All they talk about durinadvertisements is flash, which is strange to me, because the success of the iPhone and the iPad, and apples refusal to allow flash onto it's device, have forced most of the sites that matter to iPad-friendly technologies, such as html5. If I had to come up with an analogy for this, it would be - it's not my fault my buddies beta-maxs don't work in my bluray player.


August 7th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Android Phones
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
steensn wrote:
You kinda wrote off some other stuff by saying "no big difference" or stating they would be "close." Not even close to the level of aughsum, but a little :D

Really? I did. Let's look at what I actually said:

Display: I said the bionic is bigger but iPhone has higher resolution. That is true and is a matter of personal preference. Nothing written off here.
Input Features: Both are multi-touch input screens. The Bionic will have MOTOBLUR, which is Motorola's skin on top of Android. Personally I don't like it. So I said that unless you prefer MOTOBLUR over the iPhone interface, both are pretty much equal. Not writing anything off here either.
Memory: I simply stated what the specs are expected to be. I should have noted that the Bionic has more RAM than the iPhone.
Speed:I noted that the Bionic has 4G while the iPhone probably won't, and that the Bionic wins in this dept. But, it also has to be noted that the 4G chip does have a severely negative impact on battery life. That is true with every single 4G LTE phone that has been released to date.
WLAN:Both phones have the same specs here except for DLNA, which I noted.
Camera:Same specs.
Processor:Both expected to be dual core, and I noted that they are likely to be similar speeds. This has been true in the past and I know of no reason to expect it to be different now.
OS:Personal preference of Android vs iOS.
Battery:This is unknown, and my only comment was that the Bionic likely will have a larger capacity battery, but may not have as good of battery life due to the 4G impact. This has also been true of every single 4G phone on Verizon's LTE system to date (as well as true of every iPhone having very good battery life so far).

Again, where did I say things are equal that aren't? I don't get it.


I believe speed should just say 4G and left to no contest there, not the impact it has on another category which is battery life. If you don't want the 4G, don't use it ;) No impact then! Battery life is going to be on how you use it, with the bigger screen likely that will be impacted as well for the Bionic.

But to sum it up, there is a tie, personal preference, unknown, or a win by the Bionic in every category so far. Nothing seems to speak that the iphone5 will be better on anything but preference. Is it a "killer," no because both companies are likely to use the same technology aviable, but I think the slight edge without either phone being out has to go to the Bionic if one is being honest. Notice, slight, not giant.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


August 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.