View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Qur'an burning plan still on: pastor 
Modmin Dude

Post Qur'an burning plan still on: pastor
CBC wrote:
Qur'an burning plan still on: pastor

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 | 3:00 PM ET Comments1138Recommend291.CBC News
A Florida pastor said Tuesday he would go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Qur'an on Sept. 11, despite condemnation by the top U.S. general and NATO commander in Afghanistan.

Pastor Terry Jones, of Gainesville's Dove World Outreach Center, said he considered Gen. David Petraeus' concerns "very, very serious" but was still "weighing the situation."

Petraeus had earlier issued a stern warning that burning the Muslim holy book could endanger U.S. troops and Americans worldwide.

Jones said he was praying about the situation and was open to having his mind changed.

"We are definitely weighing the situation," Jones said. "We are weighing the thing that we are about to do, what it could possibly cause, what is our actual message, what are we trying to get across. It's very, very important that America wakes up."

The small evangelical church plans to burn copies of the Muslim holy book on Saturday, the ninth anniversary of the attacks on the U.S. The church has been denied a permit to hold a bonfire but has said it will go ahead with the burning.

"Images of the burning of a Qur'an would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan — and around the world — to inflame public opinion and incite violence," Petraeus wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

"I am very concerned by the potential repercussions of the possible [Qur'an] burning. Even the rumour that it might take place has sparked demonstrations such as the one that took place in Kabul yesterday. Were the actual burning to take place, the safety of our soldiers and civilians would be put in jeopardy and accomplishment of the mission would be made more difficult."

The U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan has also condemned the church's plans.

Protests erupt in Kabul, Indonesia
On Monday, hundreds of Afghans demonstrated outside a mosque in Kabul. They burned U.S. flags and an effigy of Jones. The protesters chanted "Death to America," and they briefly threw stones at a passing U.S. military convoy until rally organizers told them to cease.

Demonstrations have also taken place in several cities in Indonesia.

Fifteen people died in riots in Afghanistan in 2005, after Newsweek magazine reported that interrogators at the U.S. detention centre in Guantanamo Bay allegedly flushed a copy of the Qur'an down the toilet in order to provoke inmates to talk. The magazine later retracted its story.

In an article carried Tuesday, the Vatican's newspaper said Christians around the world were protesting the plan to burn the Qur'an.

The headline on the story in L'Osservatore Romano read: "No one burns the Qur'an."

In the article, Archbishop Lawrence John Saldanha of Lahore, Pakistan, described the plan to burn the book as "contrary to the respect owed all religions and against our doctrine and faith."

With files from The Associated Press

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/09/0 ... z0ysWyjJoK

IMO they should throw in the Bible, Torah and all other 'religious' docs/books, but then again I'm a hethen :wink:

September 7th, 2010, 4:45 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Qur'an burning plan still on: pastor
You are a heathen...

Not sure what the point is, burning it solves no benefit for anyone...

September 7th, 2010, 6:00 pm
QB Coach

This is absolutely WRONG! As this man is a representative of the Christian faith, and a man of the "cloth" he is not leading by the right example.

This is on the same level as the Mosque at Ground Zero, you are taking a known incendiary subject and causing outrage, that WILL have repricutions (sp?) especially with our military.

This gentleman needs to take another look at the Bible, read, and practice the "turn the other cheek" mentality.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 7th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The act is wrong, but the pastor of that church is definitely practicing what he's preaching. That church is out there. But its just further proof that everything being under the same umbrella of christianity isn't the same. Sometime in the early 90's the denominations seemed to cloud all together, when they obviously have different views. And I think this is one of the reasons for the steady growth against christianity. Everyone's viewing them together. Anyone remember going to the hospital in the 80's and they asked for denomination? You were either a protestant, catholic, lutheran, etc... Saying you were non-denominational was more along the lines of what christianity was. Just the basics without the added laws that were unique to each religion. Now you have some that take political stances, racial stances, warped teachings that are inaccurate interpretations of the bible, and worse.

But then compare it to the mosque... Both the mosque and the Qur'an burning are both legal under the 1st amendment. The judgment of both are questionable and in the case of the Qu'ran burning completely out of line. At the mosque, people protest, but are just asking for some compassion for the painful memories of the area, but no physical threats. The stabbing was a liberal that supported the mosque, and the media tried to spin it as a protester. The muslims overseas are protesting and calling for the Death to America. With all the talk of tolerance, I still think people's idea of what exactly tolerance is, is clouded. Protesting isn't intolerance. Immediately calling for death is pure unadulterated intolerance.

September 8th, 2010, 1:02 am
3rd Round Selection

This is difficult for me to say because I support free speech and the right to open protest but the fact of the matter is this can NOT be allowed to happen, even if U.S authorities have to openly arrest anyone that attempts to partake.

Anyone here who knows me knows I am not religious and I couldn't give a poop about Islam or Christianity or any other religion...but actions like this...especially with the media attention it's getting (images from this will be seen worldwide if it happens) is grounds to start a holy war between Islam and Christianity. We all know what it would mean if that happened...doesn't really matter who's right or wrong at that point, doesn't matter who wins...many will die.

And if the church sects of this country are smart they themselves will all gather to stop this moron because if he does this and Islamic nations do take it as the first strike in a holy war and retaliate then there is something he isn't considering.

If this happens, and a holy war is started...this man and the Christian faith will not have the support of non-believers (who ultimately may eventually be forced to take a side just as in any other major conflict) if it is them who started the war in the first place with such a foolish action.

I don't think this guy realizes just how serious this could be if the members of Islam (even the peaceful ones) see this as an attack on their religion by Christianity...these are the two most powerful religious sects in the world and we all know they have a history stained in more blood than any other conflicting groups in human history. To openly risk casting flames on the fire of a potential war between Christianity and Islam is not something to be taken lightly.

The beliefs of creation and the religions of the world (particularly Christianity in the west) are already at the weakest point they've ever been in history. This fool threatens to weaken Christianity even further which normally I'd be fine with but not with these potential risks.

I think it's kind of funny how a lot of people are downplaying just how serious it could be too. Terror organizations and their leaders (like Bin-Laden himself) have tried sowing the seeds of a Muslim Jihad for a long time now..and never have we been closer to the blood feud between Christianity and Islam restarting than we are now...to now have those on the Christian side who though perhaps not intentionally now take action that would suggest they support a war against Islam is something I can't believe we may be about to see.

I truly hope people in this country are smart enough to stop this jackass and his band of fools that support him.

September 8th, 2010, 4:01 am
Pro Bowl Player

DevilDoc wrote:
This is absolutely WRONG! As this man is a representative of the Christian faith, and a man of the "cloth" he is not leading by the right example.

This is on the same level as the Mosque at Ground Zero, you are taking a known incendiary subject and causing outrage, that WILL have repricutions (sp?) especially with our military.

This gentleman needs to take another look at the Bible, read, and practice the "turn the other cheek" mentality.

Yeah, it is on the same level. And my position is therefore the same: if this guy wants to burn it, he should be allowed.

But if he ends up getting shot in the street later, well...he was asking for it.

September 8th, 2010, 4:16 am
QB Coach

I say it's foolish because it would probably do just what someone said above, create a conflict between Christianity and Islam.

There is a distinct difference between the two "factions" if you will.

Islam is fully prepared to attack anyone, anytime, regardless of military or civilian. If you're an infidel you deserve death!

Christianity isn't prepared to fight like this, because we are in the business of saving souls, not taking them. Do we always do it right? NO! Do we isolate more than we save? Under current practices yes. But I believe you are seeing an awakening of the Body of Christ that is becoming aware of how to reach a Modern Post-Christianity world, and that's through relationships. I've heard several prominent pastors speak about it.

The Army of Islam has been engaged in a "holy war" for a long time, they are just now gaining ground on our own turf, because of the sell outs, and politically correct laws that we've bound ourselves up in.

The Army of God, or Body of Christ, is actually an army that would die to save others, following the example of Jesus. This doesn't mean actual death, although in many countries it does. Here in the U.S. in can mean dying to my wants, needs, or desires in order that others may live. Dying to self in other words. But there WILL be a time where Christians will die for their faith even here, its just a matter of when. It's not overly prevelant right now, because they (the Body of Christ) are just waking up and seeing the difference between traditional Church dogma, and relational, service driven practices. It's not the responsibility of one man to preach, teach, and save souls from the pulpit, when the commission was given to all who would call upon the name.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 8th, 2010, 8:30 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Islam has declared Jihad or Holy War against the US for decades. This isn't something new, its just some new event to stroke up renewed hate and media attention. They know the mass media will jump all over it, so they act it out. This one act isn't going to change anything.

As for stopping the church at any cost? What's worse? Going against the constitution to stop the burning or giving in to ridiculous threats from around the globe. As soon as the constitution means nothing.. they've won.

September 8th, 2010, 9:04 am
QB Coach

This is what I would do in this event: I would have Franklin Graham, and many other well known Christian Pastors speak with this Pastor about his decision, to see if they could come to an understanding about the volatility of this action. Not trying to limit or take away his free speech, but trying to encourage him to take the high road, and not proceed with something so destructive.

If this did not work, then I would follow it up with well known Christians who would be across the street, and all over the media (if allowed) showing that true Christianity does not support such a devisive act and that we are not seeking any kind of conflict with Islam. I would specifically ask Arab television to be present to make sure it's televised in truth to the Middle East.

Then I would make sure that this man is aware of, and prepared to bear the brunt of his actions. As BS has said, if he catches a bullet from a jihadist, well he started the music, so he's got to get up an dance.

I believe the U.S. government needs to be well versed in showing and saying that it does not condone what is being done, but that is it! They can't limit him, nor take away his right to be stupid.

But it is my belief that very well known, and prominent Christian Pastors and leaders need to be present and televised as being against this, if they are.

September 8th, 2010, 2:10 pm
This whole thing is stupid at the end of the day. Let this fool burn his handful of Qur'ans and let the people that print and publish them profit from his stupidity. This should be a non-story and this fool should get no air-time or notice.

September 8th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Here's the way I look at it: Do they have the constitutional right to burn the Quran? Yes. Should they do it? No. The exact same thing applies to the Ground Zero Mosque, but Muslims and Liberals want to have it both ways.

Another thing that pisses me off is that the Muslims always try to suppress freedom of speech. Remember the death threats made by Islamic extremists to Salman Rushdie after he wrote The Satanic Verses? How about how they got Comedy Central to edit an episode of South Park that featured Muhammad wearing a bear suit? They also managed to kill a guy in Europe who wrote an editorial cartoon that depicted Mohammed. Let's not forget the death threats made against those participating in "Draw Muhammad Day". But it's perfectly OK for them to celebrate in the streets after 9-11, carry out terrorist attacks, or shout, "Death to America" or "Death to the Infidels". I guess freedom of speech is good for the Muslims, but not for anybody else. I say, F 'EM.

September 8th, 2010, 6:18 pm
RIP Killer

The guy is a nut:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... -you-think

September 8th, 2010, 7:47 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
Here's the way I look at it: Do they have the constitutional right to burn the Quran? Yes. Should they do it? No. The exact same thing applies to the Ground Zero Mosque, but Muslims and Liberals want to have it both ways.

Another thing that pisses me off is that the Muslims always try to suppress freedom of speech. Remember the death threats made by Islamic extremists to Salman Rushdie after he wrote The Satanic Verses? How about how they got Comedy Central to edit an episode of South Park that featured Muhammad wearing a bear suit? They also managed to kill a guy in Europe who wrote an editorial cartoon that depicted Mohammed. Let's not forget the death threats made against those participating in "Draw Muhammad Day". But it's perfectly OK for them to celebrate in the streets after 9-11, carry out terrorist attacks, or shout, "Death to America" or "Death to the Infidels". I guess freedom of speech is good for the Muslims, but not for anybody else. I say, F 'EM.

Absolutely incredible post, Sly. Right on the money, on every point. Muslims will push to suppress Christian rights around the globe whenever they feel they have the upperhand. Now, I am fully aware that in the annals of history that Christians have made multiple attempts at converting Muslims through violence. But let's talk recent history, shall we?

While there may be peaceful and understanding Muslims across the world, the fact is that you won't find too many who will not become prone to violence when it comes to anyone somehow disrespecting their prophet, their god, their religion or their religious text. Yet at the very same time they, as a part of their religion, are bound to "crush the infidels" and destroy any religious texts not related to Islam. There's is NOT a religion of peace and understanding.

September 8th, 2010, 10:04 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

Absolutely incredible post, Sly. Right on the money, on every point. Muslims will push to suppress Christian rights around the globe whenever they feel they have the upperhand. Now, I am fully aware that in the annals of history that Christians have made multiple attempts at converting Muslims through violence. But let's talk recent history, shall we?

While there may be peaceful and understanding Muslims across the world, the fact is that you won't find too many who will not become prone to violence when it comes to anyone somehow disrespecting their prophet, their god, their religion or their religious text. Yet at the very same time they, as a part of their religion, are bound to "crush the infidels" and destroy any religious texts not related to Islam. There's is NOT a religion of peace and understanding.

Exactly...

September 8th, 2010, 10:55 pm
RIP Killer

If anyone thinks that all religions would act the same way, I didn't hear any death threats go on when the US GOV'T(!!!) burnt Bibles in Afghanistan.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap ... es.burned/

September 9th, 2010, 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next